kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well after the recent Nintendo direct, the big announcement was Sega and Nintendo's exclusive partnership for the next few Sonic games.

The big one was Sonic Lost World which is the next "main" game and the internet is throwing a huge fit because it's a WiiU/3DS exclusive. You know like they did with Bayonetta 2. The third is a yet "uannounced" title. And a slew of old Game Gear titles are coming to the eshop.

And as to be expected we get another Olympics crossover game because Sega's a combined 14 million copies of that series so this really isn't news to anyone.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/05/sonic-lost-world-mario-sonic-at-the-sochi-winter-olympics-additional-game-gear-eshop-titles-unveiled-via-nintendo-direct/

It's worth looking at because this is the first time we see the larger 3D Mario models in HD (NSMBU used the Wii sprites and polished them up).

It would be nice if this 4th installment added some new characters to play as or you know, had online play but I doubt it though the Gamepad/Wiimote setup might make for some interesting games.

While some hope that the mystery third game is the Mario/Sonic adventure crossover we've been asking for since the end of the Dreamcast, I won't hold my breath. Though this pretty much guarantees that Sonic will be in the next Smash Bros.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
I actually enjoyed the Winter Olympics version on Nintendo DS, so I will watch this game. I hope some more Mario characters show up, too, like Baby Mario or Diddy Kong.
Lost_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lost_M
Member since 2010 • 1280 Posts
I am following this game. I have enjoyed the series, and I hope the next entry is great, too. Plus it makes a great party game.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kbaily

My idea for a great Mario/Sonic Crossover since Sega and Nintendo claim they couldn't make a platformer crossover work.

Paper Mario: The Sonic Chronicles

While I don't think Sticker Star is the horrid thing, some are making it out to be, I am quite ready for Nintendo to get back to making a more traditional Mario RPG. Paper Mario was the series that tended to break Mario out of his complacent "Bowser kidnaps the Princess" straightforward storyline of the platformers and more importantly the Mario RPGs in general poked fun at the clichés of the series and for me Thousand Year Door was the peak of that series and one of my favorite Mario games with a surprisingly dark story.

Since Sega and Nintendo think the two platforming styles wouldn't gel, an RPG would be a nice alternative. Plus I want to see cute, chibi paper versions of the Sonic characters.

The story goes that Mario and Luigi hear that Bowser has kidnapped Peach so they rush to Bowser's castle to save her only to have Bowser trap them with his newest plan, with the help of Kammy and Kameck, they attempt to suck Mario and Luigi into a parallel dimension but it goes wrong and they all get sucked in. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and all his troops. Mario crash lands in Mobius Yes I still say Sonic lives in Mobius and if you try to correct me YOU ARE WRONG!! Sonic finds Mario lying there and takes him back to his village where some of his friends are. Eventually they learn about what happens and Sonic tells Mario that the way to get him home is to find the Chaos Emeralds. So instead of looking for Mario's plot Maguffins, we're looking for Sonic's plot maguffins. Stars. Emeralds. They're both like the Tessarac which basically can do whatever the writers want it to.

So Mario's sidekicks for this outing are, Sonic and friends who each use their special powers to assist Mario both traveling and in battle. Soanyone who played the first 2 Paper Marios knows exactly how this would work. Sonic could carry Mario quickly like the baby Yoshi in Thousand year door. Tails fly Mario over gaps. Amy uses her hammer to smash switches and such. You get the idea. You get to fight both Eggman robots and Mario baddies. Mario traverses Sonic themed levels like Green Hill, etc.

Meanwhile Bowser meets up with Eggman and they decide they can team up and conquer both worlds. Peach is still captured but maybe we can get back to her getting to do something like send messages to Mario. Even better I figured out a great part for Luigi. Those who played Super Paper Mario will love this. Mr. L returns!! Luigi after landing in Mobius, loses his memory and is found by Eggman robots, Bowser realizes this can work to his advantage, they convince Luigi he's Mr. L, Eggman makes him a new mech and he sets out to stop Mario and Sonic.

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kbaily

Yahtzee and Jim are doing a new series where they do gaming related poetry and this was two poems about Mario and Sonic.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jim-yahtzees-rhymedown-spectacular/7351-Because-I-Could-Not-Stop-For-Loading-Times

Yahtzee's is a bit deeper mostly about Mario growing tired in his old age and contemplating his existence where Jim's is mostly going after the Sonic fans who nitpicked about Sonic 4. Though their recent Xbox One themed show is the best so far.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GamerofMario1

My idea for a great Mario/Sonic Crossover since Sega and Nintendo claim they couldn't make a platformer crossover work.

Paper Mario: The Sonic Chronicles

While I don't think Sticker Star is the horrid thing, some are making it out to be, I am quite ready for Nintendo to get back to making a more traditional Mario RPG. Paper Mario was the series that tended to break Mario out of his complacent "Bowser kidnaps the Princess" straightforward storyline of the platformers and more importantly the Mario RPGs in general poked fun at the clichés of the series and for me Thousand Year Door was the peak of that series and one of my favorite Mario games with a surprisingly dark story.

Since Sega and Nintendo think the two platforming styles wouldn't gel, an RPG would be a nice alternative. Plus I want to see cute, chibi paper versions of the Sonic characters.

The story goes that Mario and Luigi hear that Bowser has kidnapped Peach so they rush to Bowser's castle to save her only to have Bowser trap them with his newest plan, with the help of Kammy and Kameck, they attempt to suck Mario and Luigi into a parallel dimension but it goes wrong and they all get sucked in. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and all his troops. Mario crash lands in Mobius Yes I still say Sonic lives in Mobius and if you try to correct me YOU ARE WRONG!! Sonic finds Mario lying there and takes him back to his village where some of his friends are. Eventually they learn about what happens and Sonic tells Mario that the way to get him home is to find the Chaos Emeralds. So instead of looking for Mario's plot Maguffins, we're looking for Sonic's plot maguffins. Stars. Emeralds. They're both like the Tessarac which basically can do whatever the writers want it to.

So Mario's sidekicks for this outing are, Sonic and friends who each use their special powers to assist Mario both traveling and in battle. Soanyone who played the first 2 Paper Marios knows exactly how this would work. Sonic could carry Mario quickly like the baby Yoshi in Thousand year door. Tails fly Mario over gaps. Amy uses her hammer to smash switches and such. You get the idea. You get to fight both Eggman robots and Mario baddies. Mario traverses Sonic themed levels like Green Hill, etc.

Meanwhile Bowser meets up with Eggman and they decide they can team up and conquer both worlds. Peach is still captured but maybe we can get back to her getting to do something like send messages to Mario. Even better I figured out a great part for Luigi. Those who played Super Paper Mario will love this. Mr. L returns!! Luigi after landing in Mobius, loses his memory and is found by Eggman robots, Bowser realizes this can work to his advantage, they convince Luigi he's Mr. L, Eggman makes him a new mech and he sets out to stop Mario and Sonic.

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

kbaily

That's actually a pretty good idea. Nintendo and Sega could definitely make it if they actually tried.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kbaily

Given not much news is coming out about this (aka no one really cares) I thought I'd post some screenshots at least.

Well here's some screens just to keep this thread relevant.

715774_20130611_790screen006.jpg

Hockey on a tropical island. Makes perfect sense given the last Dream Hockey was in Bowser's castle.

715774_20130611_790screen007.jpg

You do see the HD jump well here. More textures on the snow. Smoother shading on Shadow. Nicer draw distance but as I said in a blog, while seeing the nicer shading and textures and lighting effects is nice, Nintendo's jump to HD doesn't seem that big given Mario and Sonic characters have always had a simplistic design showing that maybe graphical capabilities have hit the plateau where the changes aren't that noticeable as they once were.

715774_20130611_790screen001.jpg

This kinda makes sense when you think about it. Sonic's the young, hip teenager so he snowboards while Mario's the middle aged rich guy who skis.

715774_20130611_790screen002.jpg

Villians unite! Though I wonder if there will be some silly story about Bowser and Eggman stealing snow again like in the DS game?

715774_20130517_790screen002.jpg

Aaaaan do we have to discuss what's wrong with this picture? OMG Peach IS Bowser Jr.'s mom after all!!

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerofMario1
^ Those are some nice gameplay images. They definitely look better than the Wii games.
Lost_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Lost_M
Member since 2010 • 1280 Posts

^ Those are some nice gameplay images. They definitely look better than the Wii games.GamerofMario1

Same here.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kbaily

Here's something that's actually pretty new with this installment in that FINALLY Sega's putting in online multiplayer. You know, something they should've had about 2 games ago.

http://www.gengame.net/2013/10/nintendo-direct-mario-sonic-at-the-sochi-2014-olympic-winter-games-trailer/

So nice to see they finally put in something, the series should've had all along. Too bad it's going to be overshadowed by both a new Mario and Sonic platformer.