Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Discussion (GS Score: 8.0, Aug 11th US)

• 72 results
SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts
[QUOTE="SloganYams"][QUOTE="kbaily"]

Yahtzee reviewed this and made the point to gloat about how other countries got this before the US.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7879-Mario-Luigi-Dream-Team

After going through both Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon without making his same tired whines about Nintendo hardware to played out story, I was curious to see how this one would go because Yahtzee likes Luigi and does point out that a lot of stuff was carried over from Bowser's Inside Story but the end was great about Bowser.

Bowser knows he's evil and wears it because he's seen what passes for good.

I would like another game where you play as Bowser. Bowser's Inside Story goes down as possibly my 3rd favorite Mario RPG behind SMRPG and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door respectively.

GamerofMario1

Do people still watch that Yahtzee guy? He sucks harder than anything has ever sucked in the history of sucking. His "style" is just "slander a game and throw in as much swearing as possible (because that's totally professional" and then in the end just say either "oh, but it's good" or "I hate it." He is to video game reviews what Michael Bay is to filmmaking. I can't believe I'm saying this, but that might actually be an insult to Michael Bay... 

I haven't seen much of his videos, but I know he can be polarizing sometimes...

"Polarizing" would imply there are people who like him. Anyone who likes him can't be considered a person. 

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#52 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerofMario1"][QUOTE="SloganYams"][QUOTE="kbaily"]

Yahtzee reviewed this and made the point to gloat about how other countries got this before the US.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7879-Mario-Luigi-Dream-Team

After going through both Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon without making his same tired whines about Nintendo hardware to played out story, I was curious to see how this one would go because Yahtzee likes Luigi and does point out that a lot of stuff was carried over from Bowser's Inside Story but the end was great about Bowser.

I would like another game where you play as Bowser. Bowser's Inside Story goes down as possibly my 3rd favorite Mario RPG behind SMRPG and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door respectively.

SloganYams

Do people still watch that Yahtzee guy? He sucks harder than anything has ever sucked in the history of sucking. His "style" is just "slander a game and throw in as much swearing as possible (because that's totally professional" and then in the end just say either "oh, but it's good" or "I hate it." He is to video game reviews what Michael Bay is to filmmaking. I can't believe I'm saying this, but that might actually be an insult to Michael Bay... 

"Polarizing" would imply there are people who like him. Anyone who likes him can't be considered a person. 

I've never seen you dislike something so strongly. Not even IGN. :P 

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 SloganYams
[QUOTE="SloganYams"][QUOTE="GamerofMario1"][QUOTE="SloganYams"][QUOTE="kbaily"]

GamerofMario1

I've never seen you dislike something so strongly. Not even IGN. :P 

At least IGN has their moments of not-stupidity. This Yahtzee clown, on the other hand, claims to appreciate games as art yet feels the need to drop F-bombs and C-bombs left and right, make fun of the handicapped, and slander a game and anyone who likes it all as part of his "reviews" and then will just throw in a "it sucks" or "but I like it" in the end. He epitomizes everything that's wrong with gamers, and is a prime example of why others look down on the medium.

At least IGN used to employ Matt Cassimassina. :P 

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts

I would like to pick this up eventually, even though I could ever get into Bowser's Inside Story for some reason.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#55 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

How could you not get into BiS?! I mean you get to play as Bowser!! Mario and Luigi run around inside his innards and you go into his crotch region for a mini game to make him Godzilla sized.

But I got Dream Team on Sunday, played it a little then went to see my nephews who were visiting and my nephew asked to play it and played for 5 hours asking me about things I haven't encountered yet because he had played more than I had. Meanwhile the other one commandeered my download of Ducktales Remastered and beat it before I barely got to play that.

Kids...

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GamerofMario1

How could you not get into BiS?! I mean you get to play as Bowser!! Mario and Luigi run around inside his innards and you go into his crotch region for a mini game to make him Godzilla sized.

But I got Dream Team on Sunday, played it a little then went to see my nephews who were visiting and my nephew asked to play it and played for 5 hours asking me about things I haven't encountered yet because he had played more than I had. Meanwhile the other one commandeered my download of Ducktales Remastered and beat it before I barely got to play that.

Kids...

kbaily

:lol: 

I want to replay Inside Story sometime, but I have too much games I need to complete. I still haven't beat Sticker Star.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SloganYams
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

Kids...

GamerofMario1

:lol: 

I want to replay Inside Story sometime, but I have too much games I need to complete. I still haven't beat Sticker Star.

I haven't beat Sticker Star either, but I don't really plan to. That game is a gisgrace to Mario RPGs. Dream Team is great though, I think it matches up to Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story (and it's way better than Partners in Time).

I think it's already looking like a very underrated game. I can't believe some people are saying it's "too similar" to Inside Story. It has a whole new battle system in addition to the classic one, and even if the classic parts are similar, it's been four years people. But I honestly don't see where these people are coming from. But I guess these people also called the joyless bore that is Bioshock Infinite a "masterpiece"t do they know?

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 kbaily
While I don't think Sticker Star is the horrid thing everyone is making it out to be, it is weak when compared to other Mario RPGs. Honestly it wasn't so much the odd sticker battle system but the game totally being devoid of the charm and humor that made Mario RPGs so great. Bowser kidnaps Peach and we never see them again until the end battle. Kersti will go down as the worst sidekick in Paper Mario and while I don't blame them for trying something new, I think they should go back to a turn based game for the WiiU installment. I mean the gamepad seems idea for inventory and such.
SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SloganYams

While I don't think Sticker Star is the horrid thing everyone is making it out to be, it is weak when compared to other Mario RPGs. Honestly it wasn't so much the odd sticker battle system but the game totally being devoid of the charm and humor that made Mario RPGs so great. Bowser kidnaps Peach and we never see them again until the end battle. Kersti will go down as the worst sidekick in Paper Mario and while I don't blame them for trying something new, I think they should go back to a turn based game for the WiiU installment. I mean the gamepad seems idea for inventory and such.kbaily

Take everything you said, and then take into account the fact that the battle system has none of the depth of the other games in the series, the fact that your actions in battle are limited by a pool of stickers, the fact that bosses have such an increase in difficulty over the rest of the game that you often exhaust every last sticker you've collected up until that time, and yeah, it's pretty horrid.

I  would love a traditional Paper Mario game on Wii U, but I hope they actually make a brand new Mario RPG. It would be cool if they could finally make a sequel to SMRPG, but I know that's a false hope. But maybe the start of a whole new Mario RPG formula.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 GamerofMario1
One thing I remember about Sticker Star is that I absolutely hated the boss battles and how much stickers I needed to defeat them. I remember just leaving battles in the boss level so that I would not use up any of my stickers that I needed for the boss battle. I only used basic stickers that I absolutely knew I could replace in the same level. In every battle except for the one with the Bowser Snow Statue, I always used up all of my super mushroom stickers, too.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 kbaily

So far this one seems to wash away the bad memories of Sticker Star even if a lot of it rehashes stuff from Bowser's Inside Story. Fawful's absence is disappointing (then again maybe he died at the end of BiS). It does have a bit more interesting story and a lot of the humor the Mario RPG's are known for and being able to make a giant Luigi Katamari is funny even if you have to use those stupid gyro controls.

And MY GOD the game wants to give you tutorials for everything. I wish I could skip over those more.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 GamerofMario1

So far this one seems to wash away the bad memories of Sticker Star even if a lot of it rehashes stuff from Bowser's Inside Story. Fawful's absence is disappointing (then again maybe he died at the end of BiS). It does have a bit more interesting story and a lot of the humor the Mario RPG's are known for and being able to make a giant Luigi Katamari is funny even if you have to use those stupid gyro controls.

And MY GOD the game wants to give you tutorials for everything. I wish I could skip over those more.

kbaily

Sounds like you are enjoying this game. As long as there aren't any microphone controls, I can handle the gyro.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SloganYams
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

GamerofMario1

Sounds like you are enjoying this game. As long as there aren't any microphone controls, I can handle the gyro.

Considering the gyo controls work, I don't have a problem with them. 

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 GamerofMario1
I played the demo version of this game, and it seems pretty similar to Bowser's Inside Story.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 kbaily

I will say it does borrow ALOT from BiS which isn't a bad thing. As I recall we hated Sticker Star for not being like the first two PMs so which is it people?

However the Dreamy Luigi play is a different beast. Once again when Mario and Luigi are trotting about on Pi'llo Island, it's the standard M&L gameplay we've seen since Superstar Saga but when Luigi's narcolepsy kicks in and you fight in Luigi's dreams, when you enter a battle, Luigi sort of "merges" with Mario and when you do a jump attack, a bunch of Luigi doubles deal damage and when you slam the hammer down a bunch of Luigis slam hammers down and send shockwaves through the foes. Special attacks involve Mario using many dreamy Luigi's like the Luigi Katamari move. Though there is a reversal where in BiS, what Mario and Luigi did inside Bowser affected what he did on the outside, here what Starlow does to Luigi's face affects what happens in the dream world. Like she'll pull his mustache or make him sneeze so she is more useful than Kersti at least.

Also taken from BiS is the "Giant Sideways Battle" or as I call it "Mighty Dreamin' Power Weegee!!" After pursuing this little snot bag of a spirit (seriously that guy was an a-hole. Like Nintendo made a character out of a forum troll. No, his language was too clean.) He gets all mad and turns into a robot where Luigi starts to glow and making Starlow touch his hat makes Luigi summon all his dreamy clones into a giant Luigi so yes we have another series of giant, hold the 3DS sideways battles but since unlike Bowser, Luigi doesn't breathe fire, there's no blowing into the mic and getting spit all over the screen. And yet I think I like giant Luigi better. Feel free to watch for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3UWLknjICY

I think there has to be some anime reference joke in here but I just have the Power Ranger theme going in my head.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GamerofMario1
I noticed in the demo that there was some borrowed gameplay aspects from Inside Story, but with a Luigi twist. I not knocking the game for it, since it works well.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 kbaily

So I finally beat this game last night and I want to rant about the final boss fight.

Yes this will have spoilers so you may not want to read beyond this line.

Fight One: Giant Dreamy Luigi vs. Giant Bowser- This was the last of the giant fights carried over from BiS where you hold the DS sideways but instead of going into Bowser's crotch to play a mini game to make him huge, you hold the L on sleeping Luigi's hat to summon all the dreamy Luigis to make a giant one that Mario rides on. And seeing Luigi engage in hand to hand combat with Bowser is highly enjoyable. Though there's one last leg of the fight where Kamek(?) gives Bowser power and you have to steer a star through fireballs with the gyroscope and this is a pain. Luckily after the 3rd or 4th time you miss, Dreambert offers to make it easier to steer around them.

Fight Two: Antasma: Antasma ends up being a pushover once you memorize his attack patterns. I fought him and died and then retried and was surprised at how quickly he went down. (mind you I didn't even grind to Rainbow Rank). Just found spamming the Luiginary Flame over and over again did the best especially to take out his orbs. Not to mention Dreambert will heal 30hp every turn.

Final Fight: Dreamstone Powered Bowser: Like Paper Mario and Sticker Star, your final fight is a supercharged Bowser. This time he inhaled the Dreamstone making himself all crystal and shiny. THIS FIGHT IS ANNOYINGLY LONG. By this point in the game I had so much money I stockpiled mushrooms, nuts, candies, syrups, etc. since unlike the Paper Marios, Mario and Luigi games have unlimited inventory not to mention my badges restored 30% HP every time they powered up. Why is this battle annoyingly long? Well it is the final fight so they gotta make it last and Bowser does everything. He can summon a small airship to attack in the background, he can hit you with a giant hammer, duplicate himself and shoot fireballs but the most annoying one is he will summon a group of minions, then stand in the background making meat appear to heal himself and HE WILL CONTINUE to do this until all the minions are eliminated. And you thought the 30hp buffs in the original Paper Mario were a pain. Thanks to the insane amount of health items I had, I swear I was fighting this battle for 20 minutes. Oh and those strong bros attacks are no good unless you weaken his right arm which he uses to block his head but no sooner will you weaken his arm enough then he'll stand back and summon minions so he can heal. I got so tired of this battle of attrition that I let him kill me, just to switch to easy mode so I could be done with it. Seriously, there's nothing more annoying in an RPG than enemies that heal themselves. It's not challenging, it's just a cheap way to drag a battle out longer.

Lost_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#68 Lost_M
Member since 2010 • 1280 Posts
Nintendo has been trying to make their final battles big and long lately. I think it is pretty lame, especially when the final boss is Bowser.
SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SloganYams

Nintendo has been trying to make their final battles big and long lately. I think it is pretty lame, especially when the final boss is Bowser.Lost_M

Why? Bowser is the best villain in gaming. 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 kbaily

[QUOTE="Lost_M"]Nintendo has been trying to make their final battles big and long lately. I think it is pretty lame, especially when the final boss is Bowser.SloganYams

Well it's not that it is Bowser, it's just that the battle goes on way longer than it needs to. Even Sticker Star's final Bowser fight was needlessly long. I know it's the final battle and it needs to be challenging and epic. Plus one of the things a lot of us liked about the Mario RPGs was the fact that it was one of the few times Bowser wasn't the final boss.

SMRPG: Smithy

Thousand Year Door: Grodus, then Bowser and then the Shadow Queen

Superstar Saga: Crackeletta (insanely hard fight btw)

Partners in Time: Princess Shroob

Super Paper Mario: Count Bleck

Bowser's Inside Story: Fawful

Hell back in the day we had villians like Wart, Tatanga and Wario, but these days it's always Bowser and at least with the RPGs, he sometimes takes a backseat to a bigger baddie which does mix things up from time to time. With this one I was rather pissed that Antasma wasn't the final boss, or I thought he might merge with Bowser to create some super creature. And come on, how many of us would love to see Giga Bowser in a Mario game? That fight would be badass.

The Sonic series had the opposite problem for a long time. From Sonic Adventure on, Eggman kept getting hijacked by whatever god monster he was trying to control. You'd fight Eggman only for a final story to boot up where whatever creature he was trying to control would turn on him then Eggman had to beg Sonic to take it out. Sonic went super and saved the day. Hence why Colors was a breath of fresh air for Sonic fans, letting Eggman be the final boss again. Sadly that fight was super easy.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SloganYams
[QUOTE="SloganYams"]

[QUOTE="Lost_M"]Nintendo has been trying to make their final battles big and long lately. I think it is pretty lame, especially when the final boss is Bowser.kbaily

Well it's not that it is Bowser, it's just that the battle goes on way longer than it needs to. Even Sticker Star's final Bowser fight was needlessly long. I know it's the final battle and it needs to be challenging and epic. Plus one of the things a lot of us liked about the Mario RPGs was the fact that it was one of the few times Bowser wasn't the final boss.

SMRPG: Smithy

Thousand Year Door: Grodus, then Bowser and then the Shadow Queen

Superstar Saga: Crackeletta (insanely hard fight btw)

Partners in Time: Princess Shroob

Super Paper Mario: Count Bleck

Bowser's Inside Story: Fawful

Hell back in the day we had villians like Wart, Tatanga and Wario, but these days it's always Bowser and at least with the RPGs, he sometimes takes a backseat to a bigger baddie which does mix things up from time to time. With this one I was rather pissed that Antasma wasn't the final boss, or I thought he might merge with Bowser to create some super creature. And come on, how many of us would love to see Giga Bowser in a Mario game? That fight would be badass.

The Sonic series had the opposite problem for a long time. From Sonic Adventure on, Eggman kept getting hijacked by whatever god monster he was trying to control. You'd fight Eggman only for a final story to boot up where whatever creature he was trying to control would turn on him then Eggman had to beg Sonic to take it out. Sonic went super and saved the day. Hence why Colors was a breath of fresh air for Sonic fans, letting Eggman be the final boss again. Sadly that fight was super easy.

I would absolutely HATE to see Giga Bowser in a Mario game. I've always hated the Giga Bowser design (it not only looks atrocious, it's also out of place given the source material), and hated even more that it became Bowser's Final Smash.

Also, Count Bleck wasn't the final boss of Super Paper Mario, and Fawful was only part of the final fight in Bowser's Inside Story, the other half was Dark Bowser (maybe not the same character, but Bowser nonetheless). As for Antasma "combining" with Bowser, Cackletta and Elder Princess Shroob already did that. 

A new villain here and there would be nice, but honestly, there's a reason why characters like Tatanga never showed up again... 

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GamerofMario1
I wish Tatanga would show up again. Or Wario. Or Wart. It is tiring to see Bowser again and again.