kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

GT appears to be trying a new series about special levels from games and here they featured Super Mario Sunshine.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/qvjix9/level-that-old-mario-magic

I always like to point to Sunshine when people complain about "Mario always does the same thing and nothing new" and I like to point to this game where back in the day at least I recall everyone complaining about it being "too different" with it not in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario having a weapon of sorts and not a lot of familiar baddies around.

The story of Nintendo. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
I still need to play this game. It looks great. It will be hard to adjust from the Wii Pointer for Yoshi in SMG2 to control sticks in SMS.
SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts

GT appears to be trying a new series about special levels from games and here they featured Super Mario Sunshine.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/qvjix9/level-that-old-mario-magic

I always like to point to Sunshine when people complain about "Mario always does the same thing and nothing new" and I like to point to this game where back in the day at least I recall everyone complaining about it being "too different" with it not in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario having a weapon of sorts and not a lot of familiar baddies around.

The story of Nintendo. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

kbaily

Anyone who says Mario always does the same thing has clearly never actually played a Mario game. Aside from the NSMB games, the Mario series is the most consistently inventive. Even Galaxy and Galaxy 2, which use similar mechanics, display vastly different ideas. 

Compare Mario World with Yoshi's Island with 64 with Sunshine with Galaxy. What other series reinvents itself so much (maybe Kirby,  but that's about it)? 

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts
The story of Nintendo. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.kbaily
Very well said. :P