kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

So as you all know Wreck-it-Ralph was nominated for an Oscar for "Best Animated Feature" going up against Brave, Paranorman, Pirates: Band of Misfits and something else. Dreamwork's Rise of the Guardians got snubbed surprisngly and I was rather surprised to see Ralph make the cut. However as everyone expected Brave got the award because it was Pixar despite not being Pixar's strongest attempt. It was good but just not Wall-E or Up or Toy Story 3 amazing. The other three movies got nominated simply because they weren't CG as the motion picture academy hates CG not made by Pixar and these same old fogies were not going to give an award to a movie centered around those "evil child corrupting" video games.

Bowser had this to say (coming from Nintendo's facebook page)

525295_424815077602951_1836446137_n.jpg

Dr. Eggman could not be reached for comment. However Paperman the amazing animated short that showed prior to Wreck-it-Ralph did get "Best Animated Short."

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts
The Secret World of Arrietty was what really got robbed. It was way better than Brave or Wreck-It Ralph and it wasn't even nominated. It's like 2009 all over again, when Up undeservedly won and Ponyo wasn't nominated. People need to get off the Pixar bandwagon, Brave was mediocre and didn't deserve the award.
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts
The Secret World of Arrietty was what really got robbed. It was way better than Brave or Wreck-It Ralph and it wasn't even nominated. It's like 2009 all over again, when Up undeservedly won and Ponyo wasn't nominated. People need to get off the Pixar bandwagon, Brave was mediocre and didn't deserve the award.SloganYams
I certainly agree with you and Bowser (:P). Brave was just meh for me, where as Wreck-It Ralph was very enjoyable in everyone way.
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
That's pretty humorous. :P It shows that Nintendo is not out of the loop.
SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SloganYams

The other three movies got nominated simply because they weren't CG as the motion picture academy hates CG not made by Pixar and these same old fogies were not going to give an award to a movie centered around those "evil child corrupting" video games.

kbaily

I'm going to be honest, I don't like most CG not made by Pixar. Dreamworks has made a good movie here and there, unfortunately they have a lot more bad and mediocre movies surrounding them. Disney is getting better with CG though.

I just can't stand the sarcastic, smarmy, pop-culture heavy style of CG animated films. Not too mention CG ages, whereas hand-drawn animation is timeless. 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

[QUOTE="kbaily"]

The other three movies got nominated simply because they weren't CG as the motion picture academy hates CG not made by Pixar and these same old fogies were not going to give an award to a movie centered around those "evil child corrupting" video games.

SloganYams

I'm going to be honest, I don't like most CG not made by Pixar. Dreamworks has made a good movie here and there, unfortunately they have a lot more bad and mediocre movies surrounding them. Disney is getting better with CG though.

I just can't stand the sarcastic, smarmy, pop-culture heavy style of CG animated films. Not too mention CG ages, whereas hand-drawn animation is timeless.

I do agree that CG much like 3D video game graphics, age badly. The first Toy Story looks horribly dated and thankfully it has a good story and characters to hold it up. I do like a lot of Pixar's films and I will totally agree that Studio Ghibli makes some phenominal movies (and I'm not an anime fan). Though I will admit the films that rely too much on pop culture references get old really fast. The first Shrek's jokes are terribly dated now.

I was really disappointed in Brave as Pixar goes. Sure Cars 2 is the worst of their crop as it was just a cash in becuase kids like the toys but personally I don't think they'll ever top the 3 year streak of Up, Wall-E and Toy Story 3 which I thought were great.

Honestly when it comes down to it, I was amazed Wreck-it-Ralph was even nominated and actually surprised. Rise of the Guardians didn't make the cut.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SloganYams

kbaily

I do agree that CG much like 3D video game graphics, age badly. The first Toy Story looks horribly dated and thankfully it has a good story and characters to hold it up. I do like a lot of Pixar's films and I will totally agree that Studio Ghibli makes some phenominal movies (and I'm not an anime fan). Though I will admit the films that rely too much on pop culture references get old really fast. The first Shrek's jokes are terribly dated now.

I was really disappointed in Brave as Pixar goes. Sure Cars 2 is the worst of their crop as it was just a cash in becuase kids like the toys but personally I don't think they'll ever top the 3 year streak of Up, Wall-E and Toy Story 3 which I thought were great.

Honestly when it comes down to it, I was amazed Wreck-it-Ralph was even nominated and actually surprised. Rise of the Guardians didn't make the cut.

It really shows how little the Academy cares about the award that they've nominated movies like Shark Tale and Jimmy Neutron but they continue to snub really good movies and just hand Pixar the award every year. I wrote a blog about it to put it in greater detail (shameless plug-in).

I honestly think the best days of Pixar are behind us. They've built a strong reputation for themselves, and now they can make a passable movie and reap the benefits anyway. And with John Lasseter more focused on working on Disney's projects and Brad Bird off doing live-action movies, I doubt they'll be able to bounce back.

If I were you I would have thrown Ratatouille into that "Pixar streak" you mentioned (personally speaking I feel Up was the only film in said streak that shouldn't have won Best Animated Feature, though that's only because Ponyo was released the same year). Ratatouille, along with Wall-E and The Incredibles, are the Pixar films that clearly had adult audiences in mind (although everyone who tries to point out political agendas in Wall-E and The Incredibles is just crazy).

On a side note, I greatly love Toy Story 3, but it kind of irks me that Toy Story 2, which was once seen as "one of the few sequels that eclipses the original," is now magically seen as the "weakest of the trilogy." Like I said, don't get me wrong, Toy Story 3 was great, but Toy Story 2 has gone from being seen as one of Pixar's best to becoming one of their most underrated films. I might still say it's the best Toy Story. 

Anyway, Brave simply won the award because of Pixar's name. It didn't matter that it wasn't good enough, the Academy just cares so little they just decided Pixar was a beyond safe choice. Oh well, at least it's a better winner than Happy Feet. It can never get worse than that.

Â