Why aren't we excited for LoZ like we used to be?

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 JukedSolid
Member since 2006 • 991 Posts

After visiting this page that I used to frequent so often back in highschool, I find myself a little bummed.  I found this guys post a little while ago.  Read and tell me if you feel the same way as he does.  It makes a few interesting points that you might be able to relate to.

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/confessions-of-a-zelda-gamer/#more-46860 

metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 metroid_dragon
Member since 2003 • 1964 Posts

There is a note of truth in the article, namely this from one of the later paragraphs:

Yet I look back on the last three Zelda titlesPhantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Swordand I cant help but feel as if all three of them are more or less forgettable now.

I played Phantom Hourglass through partway, and stopped due to bad dungeon design.nd I never even played Spirit Tracks. I noticed awhile back that the portable Zelda titles were going downhill in quality. I look back at Minish cap, a game I beat, and I can barely remember anything about it. That's the definition of a forgettable game.

Skyward Sword was fun, I beat it, but to be honest, a big part of why I enjoyed it as much as I did was BECAUSE it's a Zelda game. I feel that if it were a new IP, nobody, including myself, would have really paid much attention to it. The traditional Zelda forula has been tried and true for ages, but it's been so tried that it's getting tired.

I look back at even Twilight Princess and I recall that, while it was enjoyable, Okami, which came out at the same time and was a very similiar kind of game, was so much more original. Sure Okami was a bit less polished, but the freshness of the game made me realize that the Zelda formula needs an overhaul.

Personally I think that one of the most important changes that Nintendo can make when deciding on the direction for the next flagship title in the franchise is to realize that Zeldas fans are not still little children. We can handle challenging fights, we can handle more obtuse puzzles, we can handle more... maturity. Zelda games are still marketed toward the teen that I no longer am. Nintendo needs to realize that it's audience are the same people, but they have changed. Zelda needs to change with them.

My DREAM is to see a Zelda game style after Dark Souls but with more puzzles.

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JukedSolid

Time to say something drastic. I think nintendo...should update the outfit. :x Aladdin pants aren't enough. It needs to be bolder. Keep the color scheme, that works, but it may be time to ditch the hat.

but yes I completely agree. I just turned twenty-freaking-three ten days ago. It's been long time since I played my first console game as an eight year old with A Link to the Past. At that age I'm all like, "Dark Realm! This is rad!" Now I would probably think it was downright cheerful. Just because we want something more mature though, that doesn't mean it has to be darker. I think lots of people think mature is synonymous with dark, controversial, and morally ambiguous. That doesn't have to be the case at all.

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#4 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts

Personally I think that one of the most important changes that Nintendo can make when deciding on the direction for the next flagship title in the franchise is to realize that Zeldas fans are not still little children. We can handle challenging fights, we can handle more obtuse puzzles, we can handle more... maturity. Zelda games are still marketed toward the teen that I no longer am. Nintendo needs to realize that it's audience are the same people, but they have changed. Zelda needs to change with them.

My DREAM is to see a Zelda game style after Dark Souls but with more puzzles.

metroid_dragon

The thing is, Zelda is essentially a franchise for children. I like to think it is a "children of all ages" franchise like Harry Potter can be enjoyed by a wide age range. I'm not sure if Zelda will keep following us as we grow. Most of us on this board might be early twenties, but anyone who enjoyed the original LoZ as a kid will be over thirty and the franchise didn't grow with them. Still, TP was darker than Ocarina, and I'm kinda hoping we will get somewhat more mature Zelda games on consoles while the handhelds are still aimed at kids who might be playing Zelda for the first time.

I dread the thought that I and the LoZ franchise might grow apart one day, but I'm afraid it will happen. Already my love for 2D Mario game is fading. 

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JukedSolid

Preferably, I'd play LoZ until I'm too old to move my fingers dextrously anymore. haha. Puzzle solving is good for old folks right?

I don't think that we've seen the last of the slightly darker elements we've seen in TP. That game did a great job of giving Hyrule a very solemn mood. Like you can just tell that this world is on the brink of destruction if you don't do something soon. I think that was the power of TP. It did a much better job than OoT did regarding emotion in my opinion. Each new game has seemed to focus on different aspects of the world more when you think about it. Like SS seemed to place more emphasis on the relationship between Link and Zelda (Admit it, they got a few quality moments in there.) I'll get off my soapbox and just say I hope they throw some of us older fans a bone every couple of games.

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JukedSolid
You know a fellow gamespotter just mentioned that he figured most LoZ fans left gamespot in general because they tend to be so critical of newer LoZ games. An 8.9 on twilight princess and a freakin' 7.5 for Skyward Sword?!?! I could easily see how that particular straw would break the camel's back when SS received 10's from more than one gaming site and magazine.