PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

You know I am playing through Precrsors and wondering "what if" ? What if these guys were ever given a real budget or a longer development schedule ? The developer was Russobit-M. Apparently their big in Russia.

Precursors is buggy, unpolished, and so very rough but it has more ambition than any AAA game I have seen in years. Vehicles use fuel so when you drive from place to place you have to fill up on gas occasionally. You can become addicted to medicine if you use it too much to heal, and also to alcohol and drugs if you use them too much. Your guns wear down over time the more they are used. The levels are huge, it isn't uncommon to drive miles in between objectives and there is no loading except in between planets. Yep, you got to different planets. Also you can level up in many ways and there close to 8 different factions I count so far that you run into and can become friends or enemies of depending on your actions.

If any of this sounds familiar it may be because the publisher was Deep Silver who also published Boiling Point: Road to Hell and White Gold. All three games share the same mechanics and the same rough edges.

I find myself asking myself whether I want a polished game which offers nothing new or an unpolished game that lets me do things few other games do. Considering I am playing through the bugs still where I have quit many AAA games recently out of boredom I guess I have my answer. 

So where do my fellow gamers stand: polished but familiar or unpolished but buggy ?
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PublicNuisance
A mini update: after further research it appears Deep Shadows developed all 3 games, it was Russobit-M who published all 3 games. Gamespot had it mixed up.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 bugbag
Member since 2006 • 33275 Posts

I can handle some bugs and glitches if a game delivers something completely new and fresh. Too many games follow the same trends lately and it's annoying.

What is the story to that game?

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PublicNuisance

I can handle some bugs and glitches if a game delivers something completely new and fresh. Too many games follow the same trends lately and it's annoying.

bugbag

The plot isn't well explained on any site I have seen but so far I play as a young pilot who just got out of the academy. I have been assigned to some outback planet and am just about to get my own ship. I have mostly been doing side missions around the planet so the main plot hasn't revealed much to me. Bandits have stolen parts that were meant for my ship so my next main mission has been to recover those parts.

This game made a list on PC Gamer for weirdest stories recently so I don't expect it to make much sense.

One thing I am going to try out to get rid of some bugs are the fan patches. The game seems to have been long abandoned by the publisher but there have been five unofficial patches put out by fans of the game. The latest was released just three months ago. There were only ever one patch released by the publisher so that is impressive.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I'm going with the "Buggy and Ambitious" choice.

I'd rather have to face a few bugs then playing a boring uninspired game.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bugbag
[QUOTE="bugbag"]

PublicNuisance

The plot isn't well explained on any site I have seen but so far I play as a young pilot who just got out of the academy. I have been assigned to some outback planet and am just about to get my own ship. I have mostly been doing side missions around the planet so the main plot hasn't revealed much to me. Bandits have stolen parts that were meant for my ship so my next main mission has been to recover those parts.

This game made a list on PC Gamer for weirdest stories recently so I don't expect it to make much sense.

One thing I am going to try out to get rid of some bugs are the fan patches. The game seems to have been long abandoned by the publisher but there have been five unofficial patches put out by fans of the game. The latest was released just three months ago. There were only ever one patch released by the publisher so that is impressive.

I like the, "Get your own ship part." Too bad it wasn't more popular, I love unique games.:P

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Why not both?  

But I'd have to say polished.  At least then, I know what I'd be getting and I know it'd be well put together. 

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Kman5507
Member since 2009 • 7902 Posts
How buggy are we talking about here? I'm fine with the bugs of skyrim or fallout 3, but if the bugs are anything like that game you showed us a while ago I think I'd rather have it polished.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bugbag
How buggy are we talking about here? I'm fine with the bugs of skyrim or fallout 3, but if the bugs are anything like that game you showed us a while ago I think I'd rather have it polished.Kman5507
I don't know, Skyrim was pretty bad when it came out.:P (In terms of glitches)
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Mirrors Edge and Remember Me might be the best examples of these. Hell even Dead Island has that, but it still lacks polish
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PublicNuisance

Why not both?  

But I'd have to say polished.  At least then, I know what I'd be getting and I know it'd be well put together. 

turtlethetaffer

I think if we expected both then we would be dissapointed at many games out there.

How buggy are we talking about here? I'm fine with the bugs of skyrim or fallout 3, but if the bugs are anything like that game you showed us a while ago I think I'd rather have it polished.Kman5507

I think we each have our own threshold for how many bugs we would accept. If you mean Ride to Hell that was both unpolished and unambitious. It was just a bad game.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bugbag
A good example of this would be Onimusha 3... Except it wasn't buggy.:|
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

A good example of this would be Onimusha 3... Except it wasn't buggy.:|bugbag

You're missing the whole point of the thread :P 

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kman5507

Can someone put this in perspective for me? :P

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bugbag

[QUOTE="bugbag"]A good example of this would be Onimusha 3... Except it wasn't buggy.:|The_Last_Ride

You're missing the whole point of the thread :P

I was in that post.:P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride
DC Universe did suffer from this in the start. It's an awesome game, but haven't played it for a year
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts

Voted for the Elder Scrolls option. :P

You know what it is...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

Voted for the Elder Scrolls option. :P

You know what it is...

ShadowofSonic

polished and not ambitious? trololol 

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kman5507
So this is basicallt Bethesda vs CoD? I'm voting Bethesda
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Depends on how buggy or unambitious. If the game is ambitious but it's unplayabale turd then I'll pass.

As for me I'd rather play Alpha Protocol(love the spy RPG theme and the way the story plays out/characters are written but the game is unpolished) than another Call of Duty. But I'd much rather play a Dynasty Warriors game(mostly same game with few updates each year) than Unlimited Saga(it's really different and has some good ideas but damn it was not done well).  

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PublicNuisance

Depends on how buggy or unambitious. If the game is ambitious but it's unplayabale turd then I'll pass.

As for me I'd rather play Alpha Protocol(love the spy RPG theme and the way the story plays out/characters are written but the game is unpolished) than another Call of Duty. But I'd much rather play a Dynasty Warriors game(mostly same game with few updates each year) than Unlimited Saga(it's really different and has some good ideas but damn it was not done well).  

Eikichi-Onizuka

Wow it is not every day I find a fellow fan of Alpha Protocol. I salute you. Loved that game.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bugbag

There was a lot of hype surrounding that game here when it was coming out.:P

One day I want to play Alpha Protocol. I've heard so many mixed reactions on this site I don't know what to believe anymore.:P

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There was a lot of hype surrounding that game here when it was coming out.:P

One day I want to play Alpha Protocol. I've heard so many mixed reactions on this site I don't know what to believe anymore.:P

bugbag

Just like MGS! 

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kman5507
I thought aout getting Alpha protocal once... then I found out the price. :P
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadowofSonic

I thought aout getting Alpha protocal once... then I found out the price. :PKman5507

How much? :P

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="Kman5507"]I thought aout getting Alpha protocal once... then I found out the price. :PShadowofSonic

How much? :P

I ma be missing out on a joke but the price isn't much, at least not on PC. It is $15 on Steam and is on for $5-10 when it is on sale. maybe it costs a lot more on console or I'm missing a joke.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kman5507

I don't think it was terribly expensive. It may have been about $40, but that was more than I was willing to spend at the time.

You have to remember, console gamers have to pay about $20 more than PC gamers :P

That's about right, right? PC games are $40?

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShadowofSonic

I don't think it was terribly expensive. It may have been about $40, but that was more than I was willing to spend at the time.

You have to remember, console gamers have to pay about $20 more than PC gamers :P

Kman5507

Deadpool was $40. :P

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kman5507
I don't want to buy that :|
I don't know if it's a bad game, I just don't want to buy it
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadowofSonic
You shouldn't be able to can't not want to not buy it.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PublicNuisance

Kman5507

Alpha Protocol was $50 at launch, I had it on preorder. Most PC games are $50 although a good chunk are $40. A few are $60 but those are usually from EA, Ubisoft,  and Activision.