Season 3 ep 1 and 2 - The Crystal Empire Discussion (Spoilers)

Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aux99
Member since 2011 • 1689 Posts

I'll add the youtube links once they are uploaded

1080p - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4j02VTiFQE

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Just finished watching it on one of the stream sites.

I quite enjoyed it. I didn't see as much of king Sombra as I expected. But the antics of the mane 6 kept me entertained. And we already had two songs in the first episode.

There was also a pretty noticeable improvement in the animation, and some pretty cool uses of shading.

Overall, looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
You beat me by like one minute... >.> Hey, it turns out my parents get the Hub and I was able to watch this as it aired. The best thing about this was Spike. He gets left out so much, I think this is the first time he's actually played a major role in defeating the antagonist/solving the problem. It had some really great Twilight-Spike scenes to, like her entrusting him with the Crystal Heart and taking him with her through Sombra's door. Though the rest of the Mane 6 didn't get to do much. Rarity and Pinkie had some funny moments, the rest were just sort of there. Sombra actually turned out to be a pretty decent villain, even if he's the most flat one to date. How many lines did he have? Four? So, is Twilight becoming an alicorn or not?
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Celldrax

lol, I was just about to reply in the other thread.

So, is Twilight becoming an alicorn or not?

meetroid8

I did feel like something was almost implied in one of the commercials, about Twilight's "true destiny". It could have something to do with her becoming an Alicorn. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that when (if) they do eventually get around to it.

Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aux99

So I thought the episode was alright. I liked it more than the season 2 premier.

The black magic stuff is pretty neat. The only thing I didn't like was King Sombra, he was just bad.

Did you guys see those previews?

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Celldrax

Aux99

Lmao. G3 Pinkie Pie.

Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Aux99
I'm gonna have to watch this epsiode again cause the stream sucked
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celldrax

I'm gonna have to watch this epsiode again cause the stream suckedAux99

I'm actually glad the stream wasn't that high a quality. I've only got 8 GB a month to work with here :P (and the chat comments, while entertaining, were quite distracting...).

I'll grab a better quality version anyway once it's been uploaded.

Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Aux99

[QUOTE="Aux99"]I'm gonna have to watch this epsiode again cause the stream suckedCelldrax

I'm actually glad the stream wasn't that high a quality. I've only got 8 GB a month to work with here :P (and the chat comments, while entertaining, were quite distracting...).

Were you on bronystate?

Chat wasn't working for me that well

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Celldrax

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

[QUOTE="Aux99"]I'm gonna have to watch this epsiode again cause the stream suckedAux99

Were you on bronystate?

Chat wasn't working for me that well

I was on....uh, let me check... Here

I just went on ED, and checked several of the links before settling there.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meetroid8

lol, I was just about to reply in the other thread.

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

So, is Twilight becoming an alicorn or not?

Celldrax

I did feel like something was almost implied in one of the commercials, about Twilight's "true destiny". It could have something to do with her becoming an Alicorn. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that when (if) they do eventually get around to it.

Maybe it will be a part of the finale. I'm guessing that book Luna had at the end has something to do with it.

So I thought the episode was alright. I liked it more than the season 2 premier.

The black magic stuff is pretty neat. The only thing I didn't like was King Sombra, he was just bad.

Aux99
The next Pinkie Pie episode looks like it's going to be really good, and I'm excited about that new Rainbow Dash one too.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Celldrax

Crystal Empire episodes on mediafire (standard definition).

Part 1

Part 2

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Celldrax

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

meetroid8

Maybe it will be a part of the finale. I'm guessing that book Luna had at the end has something to do with it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Perhaps a spell book of some sort.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Well Season 3 is off to a good start. I like that Spike got a major role during the second half and Celestia and Luna talking about preparing Twilight for something was interesting. During the research Pinkie Pie was funny being a spy, Rarity was high during one moment, and Fluttershy was about to rage.:P

Sombra was pretty cool but he was very flat, so can't say I really like him. Also Celestia did some freaky magic.:P

Lmao. G3 Pinkie Pie.

Celldrax

WTF lol.:lol:

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Celldrax

Thoughts?

[spoiler]

I've been seeing some people say (particularly on 4 chan) how Sombra was the most boring and dull villan in existance, how it didn't live up to their expectations, blah blah blah... But this is something that did also cross my mind while watching the episodes (taking into account what has also been shown in previews), and I do agree with what is said here. I definitely think there was more to the episodes than what we've already been shown, which may come into play later on in the season.

Anyway... some people can just never be satisfied... [/spoiler]

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

Definitely my favorite season premiere. Was overall a really great episode. It gives me confidence season 3 will be a quality season. Though I do wish Sombra was more involved in the whole thing like Discord, but oh well.

"Good things are better when they're... a Rarity"
OMG Applejack hitting on Rarity. Rarijack OTP is canon confirmed.

Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Aux99

http://99xua.deviantart.com/art/My-Little-GAK-337050547

I have no idea why I drew this

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
Not bad, though I do agree that King Sombra is a bit flat as a villain. Maybe he could make a return for the grand finale or something?
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

I liked it, it was pretty good with all the animations, the story, the music, everything that's pretty much ace in a season beginner or a season finale was all present. However I do agree that Sombra was a rather bland characer and he really was only used to intimidate the ponies but I still liked his design and voice.

Though I just realized something:

[spoiler] Sombra at the end pretty much gets blown up by the power of the Crystal Heart. I think this may be one of the first times someone  in the show actually dies. I wonder how they'll bring back Sombra after that ending though I mean, that's gonna be pretty hard to explain that. [/spoiler]

Also how the hell does Twilight learn magic? Celestia just shows off the dark magic as an example to Twilight and suddenly she's an expert on it? How the heck does that work?

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Celldrax

Also how the hell does Twilight learn magic? Celestia just shows off the dark magic as an example to Twilight and suddenly she's an expert on it? How the heck does that work?

Goyoshi12

My guess would be that, because Twilight has something of an affinity for magic (and being the bookworm that she is), she was probably able to quickly understand and grasp how the magic worked. Though of course, it could be argued that she shouldn't be able to so quickly learn a perhaps relatively unknown magic to herself at the time, regardless. But it works for me :P

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrAwesomeMD

Big images below

[spoiler] 147814__safe_twilight-sparkle_rarity_shi

01_32_50_339_148159__UNOPT__

22_30_13_107_147945__UNOPT__

[/spoiler]

This episode hinted a good amount of Rarity ships. xP

n33d2skate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 n33d2skate
Member since 2009 • 5069 Posts
I thought it was pretty good, granted I've lost alot of interest in the show. Hopefully, the rest of the season is good.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8

Thoughts?

I've been seeing some people say (particularly on 4 chan) how Sombra was the most boring and dull villan in existance, how it didn't live up to their expectations, blah blah blah... But this is something that did also cross my mind while watching the episodes (taking into account what has also been shown in previews), and I do agree with what is said here. I definitely think there was more to the episodes than what we've already been shown, which may come into play later on in the season.

Anyway... some people can just never be satisfied...

Celldrax

Sombra wasn't really a villain. He was more like a force of nature or a big obstacle. Not necessarily a bad thing, but people wanted another Discord.

This episode hinted a good amount of Rarity ships. xP

DrAwesomeMD

Silly shippers. Every little friendly interaction is seen as romance. :P

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DrAwesomeMD

[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]This episode hinted a good amount of Rarity ships. xP

meetroid8

Silly shippers. Every little friendly interaction is seen as romance. :P

Ship ALL THE PONIES

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

Thoughts?

Anyway... some people can just never be satisfied...

meetroid8

Sombra wasn't really a villain. He was more like a force of nature or a big obstacle. Not necessarily a bad thing, but people wanted another Discord.

As somewhat poor as Sombra was I still kind of liked him.

His design was very different from the shows standard of bright and colorful but still held that MLP style to it, his powers were awesome what with the dark magic and manipulation of dark crystals to his whim, his background of just being an all powerful unicorn rather than something along the lines of chaotic powers that Discord possed and being a tyrannical leader, the atmosphere and tension that he created in the episode was quite chilling to say the least (that or my AC was on full blast), and I feel like we still might just see more of him in the future if that shot of his horn being blow away at the end hints at anything.

I'm quite fine with him not being another Discord; Chrysalis wasn't another Discord yet people liked her, Nightmare Moon wasn't a Discord but people liked her as well, Discord is Discord and I like that he's the one and only true villian of his stature. He's a once in a while kind of villian; too much of that kind of villian would get stale too fast and, really, who pulls off Discord better than Discord?

Also I didn't really even have any expectations going into this episode; I just thought it would be a good beginning episode and it was.

AveryMarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 AveryMarx
Member since 2004 • 7843 Posts

I enjoyed it, a good season starter and they seemed like two really fluffed out episodes, they didnt seem rushed which was nice. A little more of the spotlight on Sombre (it makes sense if it is spelt this way :| ) would of been good.

kierwinyoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 kierwinyoung
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

Hahahaha, this is the funniest 2 main episodes of MLP so far, I mean the episodes of Chrysalis, Discord and Nightmare moon is awesome, but this is funny.

But it kinda degrades Twilight, Spike saved the day! 

AveryMarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AveryMarx
Member since 2004 • 7843 Posts

Hahahaha, this is the funniest 2 main episodes of MLP so far, I mean the episodes of Chrysalis, Discord and Nightmare moon is awesome, but this is funny.

kierwinyoung

Twilight isnt perfect though :P Why shouldnt Spike save the day?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8

AveryMarx
Because Spike. That's why.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Goyoshi12

I found some interesting and rather deep character analysis on King Sombra (courtesy of Equestria Daily and a user by the name of Negaverser) that I agree completely with and is quite an eye opener to his character and just how the writing for the episode was. He also spoke to others about the differences of the villians and their strengths below his comment that is also interesting. Here's the link and here is what he has to say.

He did nothing besides roar, scream and snarl, and he barely talked. He hardly showed any personality or clear motivations. He didn't actively plot against the heroes. And he didn't live past two episodes.

But did he really have to?

You see, King Sombra has more of what many MLP villains thus far lack: presence. It was his presence alone that made sure the Crystal Ponies remained miserable. It was his presence that kept them from remembering where the Crystal Heart was, or going to the one place it was hidden because they were too scared of him. Just by being there, Princess Cadance was left to suffer for days on end, even with her beloved Shining Armor by her side.

And even then, he still tried to make sure the heroes didn't have their way. He took away Shining Armor's powers, causing Princess Cadance to suffer even more. He left traps that those without the courage and wits to stand up to them could not pass. And even though he wasn't always physically present, his influence remained, and it left a very heavy impact on everyone who dared to stand against him. He also managed to do what no other villain on the show has done before: make Twilight swallow her own pride as a means to defeat him.

From everywhere he went to everywhere his name was merely mentioned, he caused nothing but pain and suffering. And not a single one of us knows why.

And yet there are those who have called him "wasted potential", just because he barely talked or took action, had no clear characterization, and didn't live up to any of your lofty expectations. But I'll be fair; even I expected him to be Sauron as he was before he was slain by Isildur, not Sauron as he appeared in the whole "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Sometimes, less really is more. That is why he is, to me, a far greater villain than any of us could have ever anticipated.immblueversion

Interesting, to say the least.

kierwinyoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 kierwinyoung
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

[QUOTE="kierwinyoung"]

AveryMarx

hahahaha haven't thought of it Twilight ain't perfect. But for Spike, I guess I now know what sidekicks are about, the same goes for Cortana, Garrus, Luigi, Robin and Otacon. the best sidekicks I guess in popular games I know.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Celldrax

I found some interesting and rather deep character analysis on King Sombra (courtesy of Equestria Daily and a user by the name of Negaverser) that I agree completely with and is quite an eye opener to his character and just how the writing for the episode was. He also spoke to others about the differences of the villians and their strengths below his comment that is also interesting. Here's the link and here is what he has to say.

Interesting, to say the least.

Goyoshi12

I have something of a similar opinion on that.

The reason why there's been so much hate for Sombra is because the episodes didn't follow the typical patterns that most of us are used to.

A good thing, in my opinion.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Ok I just watched it. Not much to say really, but it's great to see shining armour and cadence actually put to use. I was worried they might become another luna and never be heard of again. I also felt that all of the characters got a good deal of time, even spike. So as a whole I thouroughly enjoyed it.
-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts
blank_page
Ok I just watched it. Not much to say really, but it's great to see shining armour and cadence actually put to use. I was worried they might become another luna and never be heard of again.I also felt that all of the characters got a good deal of time, even spike. So as a whole I thouroughly enjoyed it.Overlord93
Yeah is nice they used them again and was thinking that we would only see them as never again and good to see Luna again as well 

007hawk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 007hawk25
Member since 2008 • 2093 Posts

I really liked this episode. While the lack of screen time from King Sombra was dissapointing, I really enjoyed the way the other characters acted throughout the episode.

Somewhat related, I remember someone posted a theory on Reddit about how King Sombra and his actions and are actually a child-friendly way of depicting depression. Link

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Somewhat related, I remember someone posted a theory on Reddit about how King Sombra and his actions and are actually a child-friendly way of depicting depression.Link007hawk25
Holy crap
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Celldrax

I really liked this episode. While the lack of screen time from King Sombra was dissapointing, I really enjoyed the way the other characters acted throughout the episode.

Somewhat related, I remember someone posted a theory on Reddit about how King Sombra and his actions and are actually a child-friendly way of depicting depression.Link

007hawk25

Interesting take.

Not something I would've initially considered.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DrAwesomeMD

Somewhat related, I remember someone posted a theory on Reddit about how King Sombra and his actions and are actually a child-friendly way of depicting depression.Link

007hawk25

Mind = blown.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 meetroid8

007hawk25
...huh...