I think FF can be, in a way, educational.

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 kinetic-core
Member since 2006 • 9423 Posts

By means of mythology, Greek and Roman and some ancient words and concepts.

I think FF has a lot of in-depth ideas, most of which orginiated from Greek and Roman literature.

For example, the names of the summon beasts like Ixion [with its Thor's Hammer] {Greek}, and Bahamut {Islam}.

And a whole lot of them, the latest one would be Fabula Nova Crystallis, SE claims that it means something like "Crystals" and "Myths" or something.

Perhaps, educational is not the word. Depth. I think Final Fantasy has depth, not only in the gaming technology [graphics, audio, gameplay], but also in its content, not only its stories, but also everything else in the FF titles. From names to concepts, they come from somewhere. And that "somewhere", is brought from forgotten ideas in ancient literature.  

Well, anything else that related directly to ancient mythology? I'm sure there is a lot of them.

trcradical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 trcradical
Member since 2005 • 379 Posts
It's not possible though, we're too busy 'learning' how to kick the crap out of a monster to even think about that stuff :P
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
True. I for one don't speak english as it's not my native language and I gotta admit it helped richen my vocabulary.. Who would've thought that playing games could be a way to learn the language. As well as other infos like mythology or theology and learning about other cultures or even about things you have never heard of before !
Jurgus_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Jurgus_13
Member since 2006 • 150 Posts

No doubt about it.. pretty much everything is in context with history. There's also Leviathan being mentioned everywhere ( I think it's in the bible too), and who knew a Whelk is really a snail? I taught my grade 2 teacher one day involving that.

liquid_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 liquid_s
Member since 2005 • 7159 Posts
Mostgames have a educational stance in a way.  Final Fantasy and Metal Gear are two main ones.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
There's the cockatrice which first appeared in FF IV and has returned in XII(Also see them in Harry Potter, Narnia and WoW). Fascinating creature but rare because you first must start with a Rooster's egg - rare enough in itself - which has to be fertilized by a toad (yuch!) and incubated in a dungheap for three years where it then must hatch under a full moon....the result is a cockatrice who's gaze will turn any creature who looks him in the eye to stone. [URL=http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dragontransomxi2.jpg]  [/URL]
DRUNK_CANADIAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 DRUNK_CANADIAN
Member since 2005 • 1972 Posts

everything is educational in its own sense, I can argue taking a **** to be educational :P

But ya you learn alot from FF and it challenges the brain

Prophet01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Prophet01
Member since 2003 • 43 Posts
Final Fantasy is definately Educational. It lets you read alot so that you learn new words and punctuation. You gain better listening and observational skills. The last benefit is that it keeps you off the streets and out of trouble. It also relaxes you as a way of leaving reality and the harshness of reality. So it is quite educational and useful.
DRUNK_CANADIAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DRUNK_CANADIAN

Final Fantasy is definately Educational. It lets you read alot so that you learn new words and punctuation. You gain better listening and observational skills. The last benefit is that it keeps you off the streets and out of trouble. It also relaxes you as a way of leaving reality and the harshness of reality. So it is quite educational and useful.Prophet01

good points, the last is called escapism :) my vocabulary is really...really..big

Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 Spurs_Fan
Member since 2005 • 13023 Posts
Educational? Yeah i guess they are.. Sort of
FinalHorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 FinalHorror
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
Well, in one way. You do learn english in away...
maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 maa4208
Member since 2004 • 14543 Posts

As KC said, the many names are references to mythology and other things. The Basilisk is a reference to Greek and European mythology, the Behemoth is from the Bible, the Cerberus is from Greek mythology, as well as the Chimera, the Dullahan is from Irish folklore, Golems are from Jewish folklore, Imps are in many kinds of folklore (the opposite of faries), Lamias and Minotaur are from Greek mythology, Tiamat is a primeval goddess in Babylonian and Sumerian mythology, and Zus are from Mesopotamian mythology. And of course, most of the summons (Shiva, Bahamut, Ifrit, etc.) are not original creations so to speak.

(No, I am not that smart. I have Wikipedia to thank for that. :P)

DRUNK_CANADIAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DRUNK_CANADIAN

Wikipedia can lie,...for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

WARNING: MILD NUDITY

Darmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darmi
Member since 2004 • 5562 Posts

Wikipedia can lie,...for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

WARNING: MILD NUDITY

DRUNK_CANADIAN
What's lying about that? It's a parody religion made by Oregon State University. Therefore it is actually an accurate article about a real life hoax. Wikipedia wins again :P Final Fantasy is also educational because you learn a lot of new words. Some of the dialogue is very advanced.
Taygeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Taygeto
Member since 2003 • 351 Posts
Also, a lot of the monster names are Latin-based. For instance, a lot of mushroom-like monsters' name contains fung- or fungi-, which is Latin for mushroom. I could probably think of some more, but I just got back from class and my brain's a bit overloaded (I'm trying to cool it down with a beer, so maybe that'll help;))
KenshinHimura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 KenshinHimura
Member since 2005 • 602 Posts
oh so we're talkin about allusions here now are we? haha we're just learning about this stuff in english and i have a proj. i should have done something about cerberus and vincent valentine all games are educational in a way..not just final fantasy
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kinetic-core
i was just wondering what has the hellish dog got to do with Vincent. Anyways, for the new Versus XIII trailer, it just verified my point further. Can anyone actually figure out which language the song playing in the background is in? Sounds greek, or latin. Probably one of them, since they even called the project "Fabula Nova Crystallis".
Taygeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Taygeto
Member since 2003 • 351 Posts
If that's supposed to be Latin, the singer has a very bad accent... :?
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kinetic-core
lol... it could be a Japanese after all :roll: They never used non-asian singers at the very least. There was some controversy even when Aki Angela performed Kiss Me Goodbye for FFXII. Even though she's also half-japanese.
FinalHorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 FinalHorror
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
lol... it could be a Japanese after all :roll: They never used non-asian singers at the very least. There was some controversy even when Aki Angela performed Kiss Me Goodbye for FFXII. Even though she's also half-japanese. kinetic-core
:lol: haha, poor girl...How can people react like that. It's SE choice right!?
eztarg8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 eztarg8
Member since 2004 • 5813 Posts
The only thing educational is the tons of dialoge that I had to read in the ps1 FFs