Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Xx_Kares_xX
Member since 2009 • 1479 Posts

Final Fantasy IX: A Raving Fanboys Retrospective

Well another game down, which means it's time for another analysis/review/rant/retrospective, this time on Final Fantasy IX. Once again as I'm working on writing this I am noticing that it will have to be written differently than my last ones. I should start by saying right away that this is going to be the most positive of the three reviews I've done so far, which leaves me at a bit of a loss because, quite frankly, Final Fantasy IX doesn't really have any of the problems that the last two games did. Oh it still has problems, don't get me wrong, but most of my previous complaints were about all of the plot holes the previous two games contained, and this game really seemed to keep everything in line when it came to story, so there's really nothing to tear into when it comes to this.

Really what makes Final Fantasy IX such a strong entry in the series is that it takes all of the best pieces of every entry before it to make a game that truly shows what the Final Fantasy series is about. Take the extremely well balanced gameplay of Final Fantasy IV, The comedy from Final Fantasy V (only this time actually done WELL), the well developed and interesting characters of Final Fantasy VI, The interesting plot twists of Final Fantasy VII and the graphical upgrade from Final Fantasy VIII? (Sorry guys, it's all I've got), and of course the classic character types and themes from the very first entry of the series, and you are left with a game that is nothing short of a masterpiece. I can admit that it doesn't always do the things it borrows from the other entries QUITE as well as the games it was taken from, but the simple combination of all these pieces makes it a game that is definitely more than the sum of it's parts.

(Oh so you guys know, this DOES have spoilers, but ironically has less than the other two reviews, in fact, it's pretty safe for people who haven't played the game to read through, but if you want to discuss spoilers in later posts I'm fine with that.)

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xx_Kares_xX

Characters:

Zidane (Thief): Zidane is this games protagonist and is a drastic change from the last two games' main character. Instead of being the usual brooding, stand-offish, cold and dare I say 'unlikable' characters of the last two games (an archetype that this game not so subtley makes fun of at a couple points), Zidane is an upbeat, optimistic and friendly sort that is easy to root for and care about. He's also a bit of a womanizer in the same vain as Edgar from Final Fantasy VI, so you love him and his failed advances. There is a dark secret about his existence but why ruin that here?

Garnet/Dagger (Summoner/White Mage): The princess of Alexandria who starts the game WANTING to be kidnapped to escape her maniacal mother and try to get help from her uncle (whim is royalty in another town). Luckily for her, Zidane is part of a theatre troupe/sort of thieves guild who was already paid to kidnap her. Dagger is actually a pretty well developed character even if she does fall into the typical 'princess' role of being soft spoken and in need of rescue. But she develops from there, actually taking steps to seem more 'normal' in society as well as gaining a great amount of responsibilty for her kingdom, becoming a strong female character and one of the best 'princess' characters I've seen in an rpg.

Steiner (Knight/Magic Knight): He's the usual 'duty and the law always come first' sort of character who's main purpose throughout the game is to protect Garnet. It isn't until about halfway through the game where he realizes that following orders blindly is stupid. He is actually a large source of comic relief in this game, and even when he's annoyingly following stupid orders you can't help but admire his attitude.

Vivi (Black Mage): Black mages have never been as interesting as this little guy. He is a fan favorite for a reason and a large chunk of the story is actually centered around him and the mystery of his origin. He sees the world through the eyes of a child, always curious and generally happy, but he also shoulders more weight when it comes to tragedy than the other characters do.

Freya (Dragoon): The first female dragoon in the series (not counting games with changing jobs). Freya is a sort of half rat half human girl who comes from the city of Burmecia. Her backstory isn't quite as well developed as that of the other characters, but you still get to empathize with her struggle and the fact that the love of her life has amnesia and can't even remember her face.

Quina (Blue Mage): You either love or hate this character but there is one thing that is unarguable.. she is the best blue mage in the entire series. They changed the way blue magic works in this game, instead of waiting to be hit by an enemy attack you have to weaken it enough before having Quina use her 'eat' command to eat the enemy and learn the ability. Speaking of eating, that's Quina's main goal in life, to travel the world and eat everything s/he can. This character is not well developed, and a lot of people find s/he annoying, but I actually found... it... to be quite funny and entertaining throughout the game.

Eiko (White Mage/Summoner): Primarily a white mage, Eiko is a young girl from a near deserted village of summoners. She has an interesting relationship with a number of moogles and has an infatuation with Zidane. Her story isn't all that well developed but it isn't really supposed to be. She is in place to help reveal more about Dagger and the story as a whole.

Amarant (Monk/Ninja): Now for the character who is the most useless to the over all plot. He was only put in because they needed another character, and with the state of final fantasy fans how it was, they knew they had to have at least one character who was 'a loner with a bad attitude'. Though he is pointless to the plot he is still a bad ass and a very useful party member.

Kuja: Now for the main villian of the game.. honestly I am really torn about what I think about him (as most people are) lets forget his RIDICULOUS character design (because no one can defend that) and talk about his character as a whole. The first couple of times I played the game I didn't see a point to his destruction, but this time I paid more attention and realized his main motivation is revenge against his creator Garland (nice little FFI reference for you there). All of the destruction he is causing is a means to get the Eidolons for himself to kill Garland, and he does this by staying behind the scenes, pulling strings like a puppeteer, making the people of Gaia fight wars for him.

He doesn't have much presence and isn't all that intimidating, but on the other hand he has far better motivation than either Sephiroth or Ultimecia... really I'm realizing now that all of the PSOne final fantasy games had pretty weak villains... what a shame.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xx_Kares_xX

Presentation:

This is a rather interesting case, Final Fantasy has always been at the forefront of graphical technology with their games, but a lot of people really don't like the direction they took with Final Fantasy IX. Final Fantasy IX has graphics that are more 'cartoony' than the previous two games in the series, and a lot of people can't seem to get over that. I on the other hand love the new graphical style. It's a real shame people can't get over it because honestly I think square was backing themselves into a corner with the 'realistic' feel to begin with, which is one of the reasons I think FFVIII's design was so damn boring. With this new style they were able to let their imagination roam, making more colorful locations and characters (both literally and figuratively).

And of course what would a Final Fantasy game be without a beautiful score written by Nobuo Uematsu? Of course the music is good, I shouldn't even have to write about it anymore. Okay good, another small section down, moving onto...

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xx_Kares_xX

Gameplay:

Combat:

I should start by saying that Final Fantasy IX has THE MOST balanced combat in the entire series since Final Fantasy IV (the game which I consider to have the most balanced combat in the entire series). No spamming limit breaks to win, no exploitable junction system, no job system that you can use to make your party overpowered, just your skill at using the party members you have to their fullest potential for each given situation. Every party member in Final Fantasy IX has an assigned role in battle (such as Thief, White Mage, Warrior, Black Mage, etc.) and limits you too those roles so you have to swap out characters to help you get through each situation the game throws at you. The game goes out of it's way to make sure EVERY party member is Unique but also useful and important in battle. It also helps that this game brings your party total back up to four members at a time instead of three, meaning you can actually experiment with your party instead of constantly having to rely on the usual 'three jack of all trade' members or the usual team of 'Tank, Healer, Mage' though that is still a good strategy to fall back on.

On top of how well each character is balanced, the battles in this game can actually be quite challenging. For the first time since Final Fantasy V, I was actually worried I might see the game over screen. THIS IS A GOOD THING. The victory feels really hollow when you know how easy it was to get it, and this game fixes that. Despite the challenge, it is very rare that you need to grind in this game (well for experience anyway, but I will get to equipment and ability learning in another section).

The game is also intelligent in how it makes you fight your battles. Yes you can just spam your most powerful attacks against bosses like in most rpgs, but it is very rarely your best solution. There are some incredibly interesting tactics at work here, like the ability to cast reflect on your party and then bounce a spell off all your members so that it does quadruple the damage when it hits your opponent. It's this kind of tweaking that really makes for a more interesting gameplay experience.

I do have two minor problems with the games combat though, the first is that the battles are REALLY slow. Do yourself a favor, as soon as you start the game, turn the battle speed all the way up, you will need it. Through most of the game I really didn't find it an issue because you have to be very careful with how you select your commands (and WHEN you select your commands, unlike other games in the series, in FFIX you will find it very beneficial and sometimes even mandatory to hold off on selecting a chain of commands for your party) so the timing felt about perfect for the four person party structure, but in the moments where the game leaves you with less than four people, the sluggishness really becomes apparent.

The other thing I don't like about the combat is the Steal rate. The programmers were really smart about this, since your main character is a thief they went out of their way to make stealing an integral and very beneficial part of the experience. On the other hand, they made some of the steals ridiculously difficult to get (up to a 1/164 chance). It wasn't THAT bad, there were only about 4 times throughout the entire game where I really had trouble stealing the items I wanted, and there are abilities you can get for Zidane that make stealing easier, but those few times when I did have trouble getting what I wanted were downright painful. On the other hand, ALMOST every item you can steal you can buy in shops later in the game, so stealing in the first place is optional... how much can I bash the game on an optional feature?

Trance:

This will be a much smaller section, but I know that a lot of people don't like how trance was handled in Final Fantasy IX (Trance being this games version of 'limit breaks). In this game when your trance bar is filled you automatically go into the mode. It gives you about three rounds of combat in which your character has better attributes or special abilities depending on the character. The thing people don't like is that it is automatically activated, so you can't save it for bosses, it was an intentional design choice to keep people from abusing them in these situations. Honestly as I've played these games I've realized that I hate the limit break system in general in ANY form for the exact reason the programmers do. It completely breaks the game and makes every situation far too easy because whenever you get stuck you can simply go out, fill up the meters, and then enter a boss fight to do multiple attacks that will likely do max damage. Frankly I like how FFIX tried to handle it by making it random, it made me actually use these abilities in random battles when I got them instead of hoarding them, and it's the best solution they could have come up with without getting rid of them all together. There are also story segments where you are automatically put into trance, and I thought these were used to great effect. Anyway, moving on.

Exploration:

My god... Final Fantasy IX has the most beautiful, interesting, varied and living world in the entire series up to this point. (and actually I can say that it may be the best in the series, depending on your opinion of Ivalice from Final Fantasy XII). There is not a single location in the entire world that looks bland or boring. Everything is colorful, everything is well planned and designed. Almost all of the NPC's have something interesting to say in regards to what's going on around them or about the world at large. JRPG creators everywhere need to look back at this game and see how it's done.

On Top of that, the dungeons are often unique and varied as well, and a few of them even have really interesting puzzle elements that make them fun to traverse through. For example, one area has an anti-magic field making it so your main fighters are the only ones who are useful while another is 'upside down' making it so that your most powerful weapons are useless and you will only do strong damage by equipping the weakest weapons in the game. I love it when games put these limitations on you and make you think outside of the box to solve problems. There are also other places that make you go through the standard switch flipping puzzles and such, but it really adds to the feel of the world as a whole.

Equipment/Abilities:

Final Fantasy IX has an interesting system when it comes to growing stronger. You gain levels with exp which is normal for the Final Fantasy Series, but what is different is the way you gain abilities. In this game you only get abilities through equipment. Each piece of equipment (of which you can have five equipped on each character at a time a weapon, helmet, armor, glove, and accesory) has abilities attached too it that you can use once you are equipped with said item. As you battle with that piece of equipment equipped you gain AP towards that ability, and once the ability is mastered you can use it without the piece of equipment equipped. It's actually a great mechanic that keeps the game well paced, it doesn't matter how much you grind, you aren't going to get abusive abilities until you are far enough in the game to get the corresponding piece of equipment. The AP system is what lead me to do the grinding I did, mostly because I'm OCD and wanted everyone to learn every ability they could as soon as I got the new equipment, but it is not required. It's nice though because it gives you a reason to equip weaker items at times to learn new abilities, so you aren't constantly using the item that has, say, the most 'defense'

The equipment is interesting in it's own right as it is very common for the equipment to have special abilities such as halving the damage of a certain element, making it so often the 'best' equipment isn't the best choice for each given scenario, really allowing you to make the game much easier or harder on yourself depending on if you are paying attention to all the little details.

Tetra Master:

I guess the only other thing to talk about as far as gameplay is concerned is the card game Tetra Master, a relic that carried over from FFVIII. Now in my FFVIII review I mentioned it was the best part of the game, sadly that is not the case for Final Fantasy IX. In the previous game, the card game was fun and interesting in it's simplicity, and it had 'real world' rewards. In Final Fantasy IX however, they have made it needlessly complex and you are never rewarded for playing. It is just a simple diversion. To be fair, it's not a huge detriment to the over all game since you are only required to play it three times (and only have to win twice) but the game does stop until you finally win. It's not that hard to get through (I didn't lose at all) but it is something people like pointed out to them.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xx_Kares_xX

Story:

Well this is where things are going to be very different than my last two reviews. I refuse to do another 'place by place' summary like I did with Final Fantasy VII, and my plan of just writing out all the plot holes won't really work for FFIX either as It doesn't really have any... really I think the Character section went over most of what I wanted to cover, so I guess this section will just kind of tie up the loose ends as this game is primarily a character driven one. There is one thing I definitely have to talk about with this game though, and that's the story's pacing.

Pacing:

For the first two discs, this game's pacing is phenomenal, the story and gameplay are perfectly balanced as you switch between multiple parties' view points and really learn about the world of Gaia and the problems there in. The third disc however...has really terrible pacing issues.

The third disc has many long sections of uninterupted story telling that really borders on the boring, and it's sad to see after how well the first two discs were paced. On the other hand, the third disc is also home to some of the most interesting dungeons in the game, so whether or not it balances out for each player is really a matter of opinion.

The fourth Disc only contains the final dungeon (much like Final Fantasy VIII) so there's not much to comment on there really. Basically the first 2/3s of the story are brilliantly paced before the story slows for the first half of the third disc, leading into the climactic finale, so really it's not that bad, but it's something to take note of.

Comedy and Tragedy:

This is the most genuinely funny game in the entire series, and it really lends itself well to the atmosphere. This game draws a lot from shakespeare, and really presents itself in the same way as a play would (probably another reason I love it so much, yay for being a drama geek). In fact the game, not so subtley, starts with the production of a play called I want to be your canary' which of course foreshadows the love story between Zidane and Dagger in an interesting and entertaining way.Overall Final Fantasy IX doesn't often take itself to seriously which is too the games benefit. It makes it a lot easier to sympathize and relate to these characters when they aren't constantly slouching around feeling sorry for themselves.

On the other hand though, there are moments when Final Fantasy IX actually does go for a darker tone, and it works rather brilliantly. Honestly I feel that the games sad moments wouldn't have been nearly as effective if we hadn't already seen the characters in a happier, and more lighthearted mood. The balance between the comedy and tragedy in this game is really one of it's strongest points and makes the journey in this world and with these characters all the more memorable.

Love Story:

Remember how much I bashed Final Fantasy VIII's love story? Well pay attention because THIS is how you do it correctly. Final Fantasy IX has that 'oh so elusive' build up and pay off that Final Fantasy VIII was lacking. Dagger and Zidane build their relationship from the ground up, at first not liking each other, gradually building to trust, until they finally do realize their affection for each other but are still torn apart by social status (which they eventually ignore and get together anyway). Is it cliché? Yes, but it's also sweet and comfortable, and it is very well structured. The love story is really what makes the ending of the game so touching (in my opinion) and is one of my favorite aspects of the games story.

Villain(s):

Another problem with this games story is it's inability to stick with a villian. There are four main villains that the game cycles through, and I really think this hurts the flow of the story a bit. As I replayed this game I realized it didn't hurt it as much as I thought because Kuja is really behind most everything that happens even though he's not always in your face about it, but even I've heard this complaint about the game and thought it was worth mentioning.

There is also a final boss in this game that appears pretty much out of nowhere (like with the early enteries in the series) named Necron... it's a satisfying battle but really doesn't fit in with the rest of the plot. Honestly I think this fight was just thrown in as an homage to the rest of the series random final bosses, so I didn't think much of it, it bothers other people though.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xx_Kares_xX

Final Verdict:

For the most part, Final Fantasy IX is a by the numbers sort of fantasy story, almost verging on being as formulaic as most fairy tales... but honestly I think they used these cliches to their advantage, poking fun at their self as they took these stereotypes and worked from there. It fit in with the whole theme they were trying to create with this game, trying to take the familiar (whether it be storytelling tropes from fairy tales or the countless references to other final fantasy games) to make something that is not only a summary of everything we loved about the past games, but to create something that stands out among the rest as it's own creation. It has a few problems that keep it from being a 'perfect' game, but its pretty damn close. If you haven't played this one and you consider yourself a Final Fantasy Fan, you should be simply ashamed of yourself.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#7 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
The characters are great in IX except Quina. As for PS1 Final Fantasy having weak villains your right and it's hard to top of a villain that achieves his goals and get's defeated at the last second.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 D3dr0_0
Oh damn your not done yet time to read the rest of it.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xx_Kares_xX
yeah sorry, there is a character limit (which I learned from the FFVII thing) so since then I've just tried to break up the sections as I post them ^^' I'm done now.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 D3dr0_0
I didn't know you could cast reflect on all your party members and cast spells off all of them quadrupling the damage dealt to the enemy. That would of helped out in the last section in the game. The comedy tragedy sections were done with care so It actually felt like their world was in a brink of destruction caused by the Lifa Tree linking to Gaia.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xx_Kares_xX
Yep Yep you can, it's one of the reasons Vivi has the 'Reflect x2' ability, which doubles the damage of a spell when it's reflected off someone first. Just a small note the 'Lifa' Tree is actually Iifa tree so i-i-f-a... not a big deal I thought it was 'Lifa' for a long time too.. the font makes it really confusing... but it's actualy two 'I's at the beginning of the word ^^'
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 D3dr0_0
I've been saying it wrong this whole time?
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xx_Kares_xX
Yep yep.. as have millions of others x.x, don't feel bad lol.
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Balmane
Member since 2008 • 13255 Posts

I haven't played much of this game because of Netflix..... I got a serious addiction to it.

I shall continue it though so I can discuss it a little better with you guys. 

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xx_Kares_xX
CURSE YOU NETFLIX!!!
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts
Btw if anybody speaks against Vivi in this thread, he/she is officially banned from the union :twisted:
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 D3dr0_0
Who would hate Vivi in the first place?
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xx_Kares_xX
I'm surprised this review hasn't gotten as much attention as the other ones o.O any idea why guys? Is it because it's not negative for once? Because not as many people have played this one?
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 angelbless

Who would hate Vivi in the first place?D3dr0_0

heheh lol.. just setting a fews limits :lol:

I was wondering why would SE left Vivi out of Dissidia in the first place :(

I'm surprised this review hasn't gotten as much attention as the other ones o.O any idea why guys? Is it because it's not negative for once? Because not as many people have played this one?Xx_Kares_xX

I dont know.. .. and I really thought everybody played FFIX before

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xx_Kares_xX
Because they already had shantotto.. thus they already had a character who would fight just like Vivi.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 D3dr0_0
I think they should have made Dissidia an arcade game for PSN and XBL.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xx_Kares_xX
Pssssh not for xbox screw those guys! YAY FOR PLAYSTATION SUPREMACY!!! Trolololololololol
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 D3dr0_0
Yeah Screw the Xbox they should count Nintendo instead.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xx_Kares_xX
lol. Honestly good games are good games,regardless of the console they are on, I think the whole fanboyism thing in that sense is ridiculous.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 D3dr0_0
You got that right.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xx_Kares_xX
I do understand the jealousy of exclusives though <<...>> I can't afford every console out there.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 angelbless

Because they already had shantotto.. thus they already had a character who would fight just like Vivi.Xx_Kares_xX

Who would rather have Shantotto over Vivi!!! :evil:

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xx_Kares_xX
No one... but they needed a representitive from each game, and Vivi's fighting style would not be at ALL unique from Shantotto. There were a LOT of great characters they could have had in Dissidia but didn't, but there's nothing we can do about that.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 D3dr0_0
Maybe these were to test if people were interested in a fighting game and maybe they'll make one for consoles. Doubt it since it would please fans.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xx_Kares_xX
They've already stated there isn't going to be a third one...
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 D3dr0_0
Oh so I was right to doubt them.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xx_Kares_xX
Pretty much x.x
JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 JukedSolid
Member since 2006 • 991 Posts
nice review Kares! I mostly agreed with everything you had to say about it. I'm one of those people that didn't so much like the art but not because it was cartoony. I think I didn't like it because the overall pervading fashion sense was *renaissance fantasy style* and I always thought the style from that era was impractical and foppish. No one can really fault Vivi though. He's awesome in every sense of the word. Ummm...Oh! Often I like having a fixed setup that works for my general strategies and play style, and this game really makes it impossible to do that. You're constantly having to adjust your equipment and abilities to survive in the area you happen to be in. Which keeps you on your toes, but sometimes you just want to fight and not have to spend tons of time in your menu working out an entirely new setup. The example in my head was one particular dungeon where I remember normal enemies having OHKO moves and I was getting pretty frustrated with it after a while :P Other than those nitpicky things I greatly enjoyed the game even if I wouldn't say it's my favorite or tantalize my imagination quite the way some of the others do. The Villains were quite bad but the twist at the end was hands down my most favorite part. The game really had a stellar ending. That's my two cents! Nice job again.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xx_Kares_xX
Thanks for the compliment ^^. That's an interesting thought about the clothing designs, I'd never really thought about that. I can understand yourdislike for constantly having to switch the armor and party members around, that's really a matter of taste and I can respect people who don't care for it. I found that over all it helped the flow of the game though because when the designers know what party members you will have at what points they can make the battles tailored to be moreexciting and/or challenging for the members involved in the battle. I know which dungeon you're talking about and I agree it got a little annoying, but once again didn't bother me just because of how creative the dungeon was. Both are valid and reasonable complaints though, so I get what you are saying.
JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JukedSolid
It's not a game you really want to complain about is it? Even if it's not your favorite, or if kuja annoys you, it's still an overall enjoyable game. hey does the double reflect ability work on healing as well? like cast reflect on an enemy and then cast cure? Would it heal you for double?
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xx_Kares_xX
I can't find too many complaints with the game no, but I did at least aknowledge your complaints and agreed that I could see where you're coming from, I'm not being blind to them ^^' Maybe I read your comment wrong... to me it seemed kinda like an accusation, but eh, fair enough either way. I don't really know about the healing thing... I'd assume it would have the same effect, except if you are reflecting off an enemy then you can't aim the spell to decide WHO will recieve the healing, so I never really tried.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 D3dr0_0
Only complaint I could muster was that random boss at the end.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xx_Kares_xX

Yeah... that was weird, I did point it out though ^^' lol. Actually, it made more sense in the Japanese version oddly enough...(from what I hear)

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JukedSolid
I can't find too many complaints with the game no, but I did at least aknowledge your complaints and agreed that I could see where you're coming from, I'm not being blind to them ^^' Maybe I read your comment wrong... to me it seemed kinda like an accusation,.Xx_Kares_xX
Oh whoops yeah I could see how you would think when I said " it's not a game YOU want to complain about" you thought I was referring to you, Kares, specifically. I meant to say "not a game anyone really wants to complain about" sorry for the confusion. Not an accusation :) So what did you guys think that final boss was the first time you played it? Seems like the most widely accepted theory is Necron is the manifestation of the Iifa tree but I just thought at the time it was some pumped up version of garland that wasn't dead yet or something.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xx_Kares_xX
I never really cared what he was, he was supposed to be a reference to the Cloud of Darkness from FFIII though.
JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JukedSolid
srsly... what a weird boss! lol. nothing to do with the story :P
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xx_Kares_xX
Once again I think it was only there to be a reference to Cloud of Darkness and Exdeath.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts
Wow, amazing review, you should so post this for Gamespot on the official game page.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xx_Kares_xX
I have an old one on the gamespot review page, I didn't want to put this up there because it contains a lot of spoilers, but thank you very much for the compliments ^^'