heffer_moose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 heffer_moose
Member since 2005 • 68 Posts
according to wikipedia ffxii has scored a perfect 40/40 score on japan's most popular game magazine Famitsu. the ppl at famitsu are highly notorious for their tough reviews and famitsu is considered the most respected video game news magazine in japan. before, only 5 games have succeeded the perfect score and now ffxii just made number 6. it is also the first FF game to make the list of perfect scores and also the first playstation 2 title. if this is true, then quite possibly this ffxii is even more engrossing than any of the previous ffs.  got me somewut a bit excited.  when's the NA verson coming out?
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 kinetic-core
Member since 2006 • 9423 Posts

November this year, maybe....

and i'm wondering if Famitsu gave it a 40/40 because of the amount of effort put in by the producers, or is it a really "that-good" game.. i'm seriously having doubts..

but, i can say it's better than the other FFs, 40/40, hmm... :?

crimson_playa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 crimson_playa
Member since 2003 • 1169 Posts
yea i know i read the articele a while back on gamespot about that ,its amazing .....
kronikaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kronikaid
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts
Famitsu has also suspect by many for some time to accept unusually high sponsorship/advertising payments to curve their ratings of a game, I wouldn't know about that but I remain unaffected in opinion (no opinion) untill it hits state shelves.
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kinetic-core

you're talking about bribery here... but i doubt a Giant like Square Enix would pay Famitsu just for a perfect review, the name "Final Fantasy" will be enough for sales to hit millions! Famitsu is not a professional reviewers' magazine, it's popular because a lot of people read them, not because it is entirely professional.

I mean, 4 reviewers, unanimous yes, but a few lines of praise for the game is not considered a review, is it? But, still, Famitsu does not give full marks easily, and the full marks are all given to recognizably great games, FFXII's score is believable.

Well, i seriously don't know... i'm kinda eating my words here.. :?

kronikaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kronikaid
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts

you're talking about bribery here... but i doubt a Giant like Square Enix would pay Famitsu just for a perfect review, the name "Final Fantasy" will be enough for sales to hit millions! Famitsu is not a professional reviewers' magazine, it's popular because a lot of people read them, not because it is entirely professional.

I mean, 4 reviewers, unanimous yes, but a few lines of praise for the game is not considered a review, is it? But, still, Famitsu does not give full marks easily, and the full marks are all given to recognizably great games, FFXII's score is believable.

Well, i seriously don't know... i'm kinda eating my words here.. :?

kinetic-core

They did give full marks to nintendogs and ff8 or 9 (can't remember) niether of wich (out of the FFs) were recieved as well by most pro reviewers, so in a bit that is my opinion they are at least a slightly bias tword the series. The bribary bit is not what  I think, just what I've seen and heard a bit, there is no evedence of it that I've seen or bothered to look for or would find if I did. It is *possible* though. People were panning the demo all over the place which built alot of negative buzz, then comes the famitsu scans and things largely reverse. Also a giant like SE might actually be more likely to use such tactics then a smaller company even if one game can't make or break their deep pockets it can still cut a hole due to too much negative word before its releases and with how much they spent to make and remake it on goals of blowing everything you've ever seen out of the water many companies might resort to little underhanded measures here and there even if the sales undoubtedly are going to be in the millions. But like I said, not my opinion, I really don't know either, just tossing it out there. I even liked X-2 so it's not probable that I wont like this one.
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#7 jordina
Member since 2006 • 5410 Posts
i know that i will like ffxii because i have liked the others and i dont want to stop that.
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kinetic-core
yup yup... there is not a single FF that i dislike, but there are some that i prefer more than some others. FFXII is still in No.1 spot in my Favs List, it's just that, well, no matter how good something is, somebody is bound to be disatisfied with something.. FFXII ,overall, is a really superb game, but there are holes here and there that needs to be filled up.. Every person who has played it has different "holes", because every player is disatisfied with different things...
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 TheOdinson
Member since 2006 • 6232 Posts
I think another thing to note is the way that the Japanese game market differs from the North American and European game markets. The story is the most important part of any game in Japan from what I can tell, that or it is just spastic, like DDR and Guitar Kings and that kind of stuff. The Japanese seem to either like story in their games or furrious action that you can just do and then walk away from. I mean the RPG genre is huge huge huge there, it isn't like one of the type of games people play it is the type of game that everyone plays and has in common. I mean they have probably as many unreleased rpgs to make double what the people outside of Japan have, and at least some of those are probably just as good if not better than some of the RPGs that actually get sent over. So I would say that the story is one of the biggest things that pushed up its makes, much like FFVIII, because I know that outside of Japan FFVIII is rather disliked by the average FF fan.
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheOdinson
Also, in the Top 100 games of all time poll that they put out FFX took the 1 spot and FFVII took the 2 spot, showing that while a game may or may not get perfect scores, it is about how the fans see it, not the reviewers.
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kinetic-core
absolutely correct... i have to kowtow. I was thinking that but could never have expressed it the way you did.. FF will remain my fav games regardless of what people think anyway.. not the reviewers, and not ff thrashers.
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheOdinson
exactly, I mean some people like games becaues they think they are good. I am not a Halo fan, but I am one of the few people out there that instead of trashing it, will just say, I can see what you may like about it, and then say what I don't like about it. Generally I can make better arguments than most people, but I still don't hate games because I don't like them. I mean I hate some games for that reason, but that is generally only because I feel let down by them, which is why I hate FFVIII, not that it doesn't have its good moments and honestly I can see why some people really loved it, but I just didn't get the experience I wanted to get out of it.
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kinetic-core
i'm having the feeling you have for FFVIII while playing FFXII now...what a letdown.
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheOdinson
See, I no longer expect anything from games anymore after VIII I learned my lesson. This makes playing great games even better. I didn't expect much from FFX really, and nothing from X-2 and so both ended up being really great, X being better of course, but X-2 being suprisingly better than I would have ever expected. So, while is would probably have disheartened my before, I already expect to see flaws and things I don't like, so hopefully it will be surprising good rather than disappointingly bad.
omnipotentneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omnipotentneko
Member since 2006 • 619 Posts
The way I see it is that no matter how bad the game truly is, we will all at least play it. So the only thing that I can hope for is that the game is worth the time that we will be putting into it. Most of us will probably beat it, but whether or not people try to do everything that there is to do rests on how much fun we will have during the main story. For example, on a certain FF game that I didn't really like, I played through the game to get the main story, but didn't even browse the many sidequests that are offered. And lots of gamers do this. On VII it was easy to be compelled to go on all of the sidequests because the game always hid something more from you. Let us hope that the up coming game can offer that addicting story and challenge. I choose to disregard the reviewers on the basis that they have rated many a great game as low, and bad high. Let us hope that the reviewers are right!
omnipotentneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 omnipotentneko
I used to stick with classic games because I didn't want to feel the disappointment of a stupid new game. But what is more fulfilling than grabbing a game right off the shelf that was placed there moments before, carrying it home and being one of the first to play it?
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kinetic-core
correct. but you wouldn't want to be feeling, "Oh, so i'm one of the first few people who got cheated by this game.." lol
omnipotentneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 omnipotentneko

correct. but you wouldn't want to be feeling, "Oh, so i'm one of the first few people who got cheated by this game.." lolkinetic-core

:cry: bad memories...

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kinetic-core
i hope it wasn't a final fantasy that made you feel stupid.. :D
omnipotentneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omnipotentneko
No, but there were several that got me. Most recently was Goblin Commander. Too short, too simple, too boring. But I still got the most I could out of it!
Bedoxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Bedoxxx
Member since 2003 • 57 Posts
of course ff 7 great story great game great characters =) 
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kinetic-core
FFVII? not the best, but ya, it can be compared with the best. :)
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheOdinson
I think FFVII really took the steps that gave us the great FFs that some people say are better than FFVII. I mean it really opened the doors for Square, really made them alot of money and gave them the ability to go places that other games couldn't afford to go. I mean that is what kept the BoF games down I think. And then you saw what happened after they finally decided to go for it.
omnipotentneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 omnipotentneko
Some of Square's and Enix's older games are really good too, but a lot of people don't know that. "The 7th Saga" anyone?