Can Nintendo really dominate the market again?

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I'm actually starting to think so....  I never really thought Wii would be massive enough of a success to let Nintendo take control of the market, but over the past few weeks it is starting to seem like it is definitely possible.  The reason I say this is because not only do estimates already suggest that Wii has sold 4 million worldwide already (an achievement that took the 360 months) and that PS3 isn't selling as well as Sony hopes, but I have experienced this first hand.  The past few times I have been in stores I have constantly heard people asking store employees "Any Wii's in stock?".... of course the answer is always no.  Never though do I hear someone ask that question about PS3 or even 360.  The funny thing is that the PS3 has been in stock at my local WalMart for a few weeks now.  Even IGN has said that everywhere they go they usually never find PS3's sold out.... and face it we all know that isn't because of production being increased.  Not only does Nintendo have a sales advantage already, but in reality they have a 4 month head start in Europe, something that is definitely worth noting.  By the time PS3 launches in Europe, most likely Wii will have hit 6 million units sold worldwide, and the 360 will be around 11 million..... with the PS3 still at a low 3 million or so.

Im not trying to seem biased toward any of the other systems or anything like that, believe me, I own and love my 360.... I am just speaking statistically.  It would be nice to see Nintendo being the favorite of the public and developers again.  So far Nintendo has proved that it doesn't take the Playstation name to dominate the market, it takes innovation and obviously good marketing.  Nintendo has done a great job by doing these key things in marketing IMO

1. Milking advertisements of Zelda, Zelda is the one thing that is definitely going to appeal to the hardcore at this point.... and face it, when you see the Zelda theme and hear the music in an advertisement you can't resist but wanted the game and a Wii along with it.

2. Limiting demo kiosks.  That seems strange to say right?  I honestly think it is smart to limit demo kiosks, because while you can't persuade someone to buy Wii by having hands on impressions, you can't persuade someone not to buy it either.  What I mean by that is if someone has a lot of interest in the console, but plays it and it isn't what they expected then Nintendo just lost a sale.  However, if they only see videos, demonstrations, and the appealing little white box in the display case they will instantly want to try it.... which the only way of doing that would be to buy the console.

3. Nintendo has done an unusually good job of broadcasting commercials.  I saw a lot more Wii commercials than PS3 commercials over the holidays, and the commercials actually made sense and got to the point unlike the creepy PS3 commercial with posessed doll.

So, what do you think?  Can Nintendo dominate the market and be #1 again?

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Well, here is my take on this gen. I think the Wii will win out for the next year or so. Wii has alot of great games coming out this year. Nintendo has Mario, SSBB, WarioWare, MP3, and many others to come this year. The other console, while having great games coming out, just don't have that many coming out. And many won't come out until the fall. But after 2007 Nintendo hasn't really told us much about their plans. For 2008 I think 360 will be the hot item. The 360 will have alot of new good games coming out. And by then games will be able to turely use the power of the 360. But it is still to early to say who will win. After 2008 we don't know anything. It is still up in the air in my opinion. I think this could be the year of the Wii. Wii has alot of great games coming out. And online is finally coming. 
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 omega235
Member since 2006 • 5922 Posts
i think PS3 and microsoft for the domination with Nintendo very close to microsoft since PS3 has killer pas and alot more commercials have i seen for the ps3 than wii, in fact i don't think i've ever seen a wii commercial
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 REVOLUTIONfreak
Well, here is my take on this gen. I think the Wii will win out for the next year or so. Wii has alot of great games coming out this year. Nintendo has Mario, SSBB, WarioWare, MP3, and many others to come this year. The other console, while having great games coming out, just don't have that many coming out. And many won't come out until the fall. But after 2007 Nintendo hasn't really told us much about their plans. For 2008 I think 360 will be the hot item. The 360 will have alot of new good games coming out. And by then games will be able to turely use the power of the 360. But it is still to early to say who will win. After 2008 we don't know anything. It is still up in the air in my opinion. I think this could be the year of the Wii. Wii has alot of great games coming out. And online is finally coming. bededog
You could say the same thing about the PS3 and 360, we don't know of anything coming in 08 for PS3 or 360. Halo 3 releases this year along with Mass Effect for the 360, and assumably Banjo Threeie. The PS3 has MGS4 and DMC4, and that's about it (anyone who thinks FFXIII is releasing before 2009 really doesn't know much about Square-Enix). To me, the only thing that could be Wii's downfall is the visuals. Once the potential is realized for the 360 and PS3, Wii's last gen visuals will seem outdated.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
dont see why not :)
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
Lawl at 3. :lol:

But, yes. Nintendo will rise to power once again. Sony, after crashing to the ground, shall become a videogame manufacturer, similar to Sega. Once Nintendo hits the top, they will buy the Xbox from Microsoft resulting in the console to end all gaming consoles: The Super Mintendosoft Box Entertainment System 424. It is inevitable.
SmashAndRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 SmashAndRun
Member since 2005 • 444 Posts
Nintendo can, and will dominate the market
twilight_link9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 twilight_link9
Member since 2006 • 1079 Posts

It's possible, but Nintendo will have to meet the growning demand for the console.

It would be nice, though that Nintendo became market leader again (at least take Sony down from the top)

BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 BassBoy45
Member since 2006 • 5330 Posts
Lawl at 3. :lol:

But, yes. Nintendo will rise to power once again. Sony, after crashing to the ground, shall become a videogame manufacturer, similar to Sega. Once Nintendo hits the top, they will buy the Xbox from Microsoft resulting in the console to end all gaming consoles: The Super Mintendosoft Box Entertainment System 424. It is inevitable.
Squidward117
:lol: Highly doubtful... I think that the wii is taking a stab at the market, but the Xbox may have too much of a head start. Im not saying the Wii doesn't have the ability to take over this gen, but I think that graphics may be a deciding factor. Don't get me wrong, I will love the Wii, but the further we get into this gen, the more high-end the graphics will be, and this will become more and more important. The PS3's price will ultimately bring it down in the end, so I really don't have much to say about that :?
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
Yes it is possible, but i can't see the wii over-taking the 360 at the moment. The problem is that I don't think that nintendo saw the hd era coming thta fast, i mean its here right and everyone wants 1080p right? And there is NO WAY nintendo will buy xbox at the moment xbox has unlimited funds(from bill gates) thus never going out of business.
Chief_Kuuni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Chief_Kuuni
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts
I think that the wii can dominate the market and with the price is making people want it alot more then the ps3. I'd like to see how the future goes with the systems and I am gonna get a wii eventually. Meaning sometime this year, and I'll probably get a ps3 also, I already have a 360, I just like getting the best games for each system. At least my type of games that is. Just like I owned a gamecube even though it was a bust but I loved the nintendo only games and own them. I just have confidence that the wii can win it.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
As we've seen, the DS has been a huge success (especially in Japan), so I definately don't see Nintendo slipping out of the market anytime soon. And so far, the Wii has definately had the best launch of this gen, still selling out about two months later. But the one problem I see, is that while the Wiimote is innovative, and definately my favorite controller thus far, I think hardcore gamers that pick up a Wii will still want to play games with the 360 or PS3, since they have more classic controllers. So basically, until Nintendo starts whipping out some truly amazing games (aside from Zelda, Mario, and Metroid), I don't see Nintendo 'dominating' the market, but second place isn't a far off bet.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 REVOLUTIONfreak
As we've seen, the DS has been a huge success (especially in Japan), so I definately don't see Nintendo slipping out of the market anytime soon. And so far, the Wii has definately had the best launch of this gen, still selling out about two months later. But the one problem I see, is that while the Wiimote is innovative, and definately my favorite controller thus far, I think hardcore gamers that pick up a Wii will still want to play games with the 360 or PS3, since they have more classic controllers. So basically, until Nintendo starts whipping out some truly amazing games (aside from Zelda, Mario, and Metroid), I don't see Nintendo 'dominating' the market, but second place isn't a far off bet.OhhSnap50893
Ya really, in Japan the DS has sold about 14 million units while the PSP has sold 5 million :lol: Anyway, I dont think the classic controllers are what will draw people to the 360 and PS3, it will be 1)the online play and 2) the next gen visuals. I have to admit, after playing some more 360 games I am starting to feel underwhelmed by some of what Wii is offering in terms of gameplay and even graphics.....even though I know Wii isn't meant for next gen visuals. It would be nice if Nintendo could spit out a good online service and if developers could spend more time improving visuals and actually fully utilizing the wiimote. I watched the Godfather video preview for Wii, and the controls just looked tacked on.... not very exciting at all. If Nintendo can manage to make more games for the hardcore, Id say they easily will win this next gen war