Sanligo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Sanligo
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

It seems more and more like a generic mmo. The world has the generic grindy one monster every five square feet design, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls. It was designed with third person and action bars in mind, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls, and it sounds like there's gonna be generic fetch quests, also nothing like Elder Scrolls.

It also doesn't seem very immersive. I doubt we will be able to steal items off counters and get caught and go to jail, or attack villagers, then steal a horse and run while being chased by the guards.

Hopefully the class system will be like previous ES games, where you still have a skill system and can level your skills up, since it won't be like Skyrim's classless system.

I'm really not suprised that it's not going to play like a "real" Elder Scrolls game, but one can hope. I just wanted the Elder Scrolls experience. but with friends. That would have been awesome.

I have no idea what the loot system will be like, but I seriously doubt we will be able to take all the weapons and armor off people and until were overencumbered. It'll probably just be worthless junk loot. Sell all your spider carapaces and rough pebbles and bug eyes to the junk vendor to get 6 gold.

In short, this just doesn't look like an Elder Scrolls game.

jrgoalie33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jrgoalie33
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts

The world has the generic grindy one monster every five square feet design, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls.

Sanligo

Where are you getting this information?  ZOS has certainly said nothing along these lines.

It was designed with third person and action bars in mind, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls, and it sounds like there's gonna be generic fetch quests, also nothing like Elder Scrolls.

Sanligo

Here are some facts about the game stated by ZOS:  Left mouse button to attack.  Hold left mouse button for heavy attack.  Right mouse button to block.  Hold right mouse button and quickly click left mouse button for shield bash.  There is no hard-locking system so you actually have to aim at what you are attacking.  You can attack and use abilities while sprinting.  Sneaking is also confirmed.  Also there is going to be TRUE first person, where you can actually see your hands.  All the quest NPC's are fully voice-acted and some NPC's will help you complete quests.  There are also random-encounter quests that happen by discovering or finding something.  This is all EXACTLY like Elder Scrolls.

As far as the action bars go, its only six slots.  Five abilities and one ultimate.  Oblivion had a hotwheel which is not much different from this and Skyrim made you pause the game and pick from a list (ruining the immersion and flow in my opinion).  The hotbar disappears when you are not in combat.  And its only six slots, nothing like the twenty to thirty in most other mmo's.  The disappearing, six slot hotbar improves the game.  

It also doesn't seem very immersive. I doubt we will be able to steal items off counters and get caught and go to jail, or attack villagers, then steal a horse and run while being chased by the guards.

Sanligo

ZOS has stated that there IS a crime system and you WILL be able to steal items, get caught and go to jail.

Hopefully the class system will be like previous ES games, where you still have a skill system and can level your skills up, since it won't be like Skyrim's classless system.

Sanligo

The class system will be very loose and organic.  Any class can use any weapon, spell, armor, etc found in the game.  There will be numerous skill trees like in skyrim (dont remember if oblivion had skill trees) where you put points into whatever skills and abilities you want.  When you level up you get one point to put into either stamina, magicka, or health and one point to put into a skill tree of your choosing.   The more you use heavy armor the more proficient you will become with it and will unlock abilities for it.  This is pretty much exactly like skyrim.

It just sounds to me like you havnt really done a whole lot of research on this game.  I dont blame you.  ZOS hasnt really been the best at releasing much info but the things ive told you ARE facts stated by them.  I got most of this info from press articles released by people who have either played the game themselves or interviewed with ZOS.  You have to remember that this is an mmo.  Its going to have to be a little different from the classic Elder Scrolls experience.  But they are also keeping alot of the great stuff from the original games.  Theyve also done a great job at listening to fan feedback and have made several changes to keep the Elder Scrolls fanbase happy.  

Dont give up on this game.  It looks amazing in my opinion and its only in closed beta so they have alot of stuff to fix, change, refine until launch.  At least wait until it comes out to watch some good, solid, in-depth gameplay (and read some reviews) before you make your decision.

8bitg33k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 8bitg33k
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

It seems more and more like a generic mmo. The world has the generic grindy one monster every five square feet design, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls. It was designed with third person and action bars in mind, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls, and it sounds like there's gonna be generic fetch quests, also nothing like Elder Scrolls.

I'm really not suprised that it's not going to play like a "real" Elder Scrolls game, but one can hope. I just wanted the Elder Scrolls experience. but with friends. That would have been awesome.

I have no idea what the loot system will be like, but I seriously doubt we will be able to take all the weapons and armor off people and until were overencumbered. It'll probably just be worthless junk loot. Sell all your spider carapaces and rough pebbles and bug eyes to the junk vendor to get 6 gold.

In short, this just doesn't look like an Elder Scrolls game.

Sanligo

Agreed. Most likely it will be as much a disapointment as Skyrim was. Morrowing and Oblivion were made for a good game, Skyrim and likely ESO purely for the money.

Sanligo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Sanligo
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

Where are you getting this information?  ZOS has certainly said nothing along these lines.

jrgoalie33

From (the recorded and leaked) gameplay videos. I imagine that they are a pretty reliable source of info. Specifically the one where they are in the forest and theres a spider every five feet, like pretty much every mmo, but nothing like Elder Scrolls.

Though the rest of the info you gave me makes it seem better than I was anticipating.

Killusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Killusion
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

What I'm disappointed about is the money-grubbing.

I don't really play online RPG's, and I REALLY wanted to try this one, but the fact that they are going subscription on top of an initial $60+ bucks... NOPE. And it's suspiciously looking another pay-to-win money pit as well, what with the "Imperial Edition" and all. I may not mind a subscription based game if there wasn't a huge initial purchase and a real money pay to win shop. I haven't done a ton of research, but I'm pretty turned off to ESO right now, and they've so far lost my business.

I got to tool around on the first beta (not impressed), and I'll test out the next one this weekend, but no way in hell am I handing over that much money on a single game that so far seems no better than any other MMO, especially when there are so many that are free.

Rooten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#8 Rooten
Member since 2005 • 291 Posts

To be honnest, it's skyrim but with an online feature. I played the beta and a felt that I can play alone and solo some stuff (maybe not dungeons or world boss) but I felt that it is skyrim with an online multiplayer to it. I'm pretty sure this game can work with a 4 player coop and ONE person can host the game on there internet conneciton...like I was exited when I first heard for TESO but now, after playing the beta, I don't know if it's worth 15$ a month. I'm more a PvP'er guy so I hope the PvP is at least ok!

BurningUp99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 BurningUp99
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

@Killusion said:

What I'm disappointed about is the money-grubbing.

I don't really play online RPG's, and I REALLY wanted to try this one, but the fact that they are going subscription on top of an initial $60+ bucks... NOPE. And it's suspiciously looking another pay-to-win money pit as well, what with the "Imperial Edition" and all. I may not mind a subscription based game if there wasn't a huge initial purchase and a real money pay to win shop. I haven't done a ton of research, but I'm pretty turned off to ESO right now, and they've so far lost my business.

I got to tool around on the first beta (not impressed), and I'll test out the next one this weekend, but no way in hell am I handing over that much money on a single game that so far seems no better than any other MMO, especially when there are so many that are free.

Most MMO players are used to paying a monthly fee some people have been doing it for over 10 years. Look how much content was added to Everquest or WoW over the years. How do you think that happens? It's not free to design and implement things it costs money no one is working for a company for free ya know. The monthly fee is not a valid complaint against the game since it's very common in the MMO world.

RaiceGeriko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 RaiceGeriko
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

@Sanligo:

@Sanligo said:

Where are you getting this information? ZOS has certainly said nothing along these lines.

jrgoalie33

From (the recorded and leaked) gameplay videos. I imagine that they are a pretty reliable source of info. Specifically the one where they are in the forest and theres a spider every five feet, like pretty much every mmo, but nothing like Elder Scrolls.

Though the rest of the info you gave me makes it seem better than I was anticipating.

Let's talk about this realistically, shall we?

Let's pretend that they made Skyrim exactly as it was, added a MP feature, and called it TESO. Let's just pretend for a moment and see how that will play out:

You go out into the wilderness from Whiterun to find a sabrecat or a bear or something. You're looking for it because you need to fill up your soul gem with a soul. You look and look and look - you run into all kinds of stuff. It's awesome... because it's Skyrim.

Finally, you find the sabrecat. It's right there... yours for the killin.... wait... someone else already killed it just before you got to it. Crap - I guess you forgot this wasn't just Skyrim... It was Online Skyrim. Now you gotta go find another bear or something. Except you look around for hours never finding one because there are a hundred other players running around in the same area looking for the same thing... because it's Online Skyrim... it's an MMO.

Seriously guys.... the reason MMO's have mobs standing about is because there are other people sharing the same game space as you are. Come on... use your heads. This is a design that is a fundamental necessity for an MMO. We went through this crap years ago when people had to wait in a line to kill something. It sucked! You want to talk about immersion breaking...

You have to provide enough stuff for everyone to participate in. That means monsters and animals have to be more plentiful. Use some common sense when you make these complaints, please.