Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 Bruneauinfo
Member since 2004 • 7777 Posts

it's a close tie between TES and DW.

Star Wars is okay, but the over-commercialization of it has ruined a lot of the magic. 

i also like LOTR, but it dowsn't translate well into games for some insane reason.  

DPumbliQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DPumbliQ
Member since 2006 • 17367 Posts
Love all of 'em but Star Wars sticks out imo.
harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 harden007
Member since 2004 • 6884 Posts
Going with LOTR for a host of reasons. I like The Silmarillion best.
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bruneauinfo

i figured the question was from a gaming standpoint.

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 jeffhardy141
Member since 2007 • 6151 Posts

i figured the question was from a gaming standpoint.

Bruneauinfo

Well it isnt...oops

I mean sure TES are video games but still...

Well its not games its in general

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 harden007

If it's games then the question becomes more difficult, as I've loved at least one game from each franchize. 

LOTR: Lord of the Rings Online was my first MMO and holds a special place in my heart. It also is an incredibly polished game, with much to do at every level. I'd still be playing it if my clan hadn't all gone AWOL.

Star Wars: KOTOR (both games). I loved both of them, and KOTOR 1 was only the second game in my life that I can remember staying up all night playing... literally all night.

TES: Oblivion + Expantions. I played the hell out of this game as well. Bought it for my bro I think for Christmas, but he was hogging it so I had to go buy my own Collectors Edition. Got all kinds of mods for it. Eventually did everything there was to do, and uninstalled it because it takes up a lot of drive space. Haven't touched it since, and probably never will again.

DW: DW4 + Adds. This is the game that started it all for me. I wouldn't consider myself a "die hard" fan of the game like some here, but I played it quite a bit and enjoyed it. Lots of good memories of trying to get all the top weapons and such. Meat bun anyone? 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bruneauinfo

well, i was writing a long post and accidentally pressed too many keys down around the right shift key and it closed my browser. weird.

but basically i was giving kudos to Kotor 1 and DW4.

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 JeffSteel
Member since 2004 • 2989 Posts

An interesting topic, FINALLY!!

I would say it is a close call between LOTR and TES.  LOTR is of course utterly phenomenally cla$$ic to the point that it is now, as of the end of this sentence, illegal for any DWUnioner to have not read it.   Alas, the transition to gaming is not always successful, but is generally so.  The PlayStation 2 games that had co-op hack-n-slash, the Battle for Middle Earth RTS's, and LOTR online were all great, other ventures.... not so much.

However, TES game-play is just addicting for me, Oblivion is something I come back to again and again like some kind of crack addict.  I've loved that kind of first person RPG ever since Deus Ex back in 2000.   It's lore is also rather impressive for something that only exists as a game series.  Since this is a poll regarding gaming I voted TES, but the LOTR lore is vastly superior, as impressive as TES lore is.

Star Wars is a franchise rather like a dead horse that is beaten and milk for filth on a regular basis which irritates me more often than not.  The KOTOR games, and Star Wars: Rebellion (an older game they tried and failed to replicate in Star Wars:Empire at War) are generally the only SW games I enjoyed.  That and SW: Lightsaber battles for the PS one, mostly for nostalgia reasons today.

DW will always have a special place in my heart of course.  The lack of a PS3 combined with the complete mastery of DW4 and 5 kinda killed my active playing of it, but even so it is still beloved in my mind.

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jeffhardy141

An interesting topic, FINALLY!!

I would say it is a close call between LOTR and TES. LOTR is of course utterly phenomenally cla$$ic to the point that it is now, as of the end of this sentence, illegal for any DWUnioner to have not read it. Alas, the transition to gaming is not always successful, but is generally so. The PlayStation 2 games that had co-op hack-n-slash, the Battle for Middle Earth RTS's, and LOTR online were all great, other ventures.... not so much.

However, TES game-play is just addicting for me, Oblivion is something I come back to again and again like some kind of crack addict. I've loved that kind of first person RPG ever since Deus Ex back in 2000. It's lore is also rather impressive for something that only exists as a game series. Since this is a poll regarding gaming I voted TES, but the LOTR lore is vastly superior, as impressive as TES lore is.

Star Wars is a franchise rather like a dead horse that is beaten and milk for filth on a regular basis which irritates me more often than not. The KOTOR games, and Star Wars: Rebellion (an older game they tried and failed to replicate in Star Wars:Empire at War) are generally the only SW games I enjoyed. That and SW: Lightsaber battles for the PS one, mostly for nostalgia reasons today.

DW will always have a special place in my heart of course. The lack of a PS3 combined with the complete mastery of DW4 and 5 kinda killed my active playing of it, but even so it is still beloved in my mind.

JeffSteel

Damm it :(

IT actually isnt just about gaming :o

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bruneauinfo

well, i have yet to play a truly good LOTRs game - or see one worth wasting my time on. like the fact there is an acronym for a Star Wars game speaks volumes about how great a game is despite it coming from a raped and pillaged universe - i.e. KOTOR. versus LOTR, which is an acronym too, but does not represent a particularly memorable game that everyone raves about. i mean people talked about ROTK - Return of the King - there for a while.. but really it's just a ripoff of DW... ironically....and DW is actually better than it is, so i'm thinking people who got caught up in that were just too proud to try a, an ancient Chinese War game out of distrust for the commies.

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JeffSteel
I still cant beleive that no one here wanted to give DW online a spin.  It is frackin FREE for my sakes!
jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeffhardy141

I still cant beleive that no one here wanted to give DW online a spin. It is frackin FREE for my sakes!JeffSteel
It didint download for me

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JeffSteel

[QUOTE="JeffSteel"]I still cant beleive that no one here wanted to give DW online a spin. It is frackin FREE for my sakes!jeffhardy141

Thanks for trying, at least I am a little more relived now.

DPumbliQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DPumbliQ
Member since 2006 • 17367 Posts
[QUOTE="jeffhardy141"]

[QUOTE="JeffSteel"]I still cant beleive that no one here wanted to give DW online a spin. It is frackin FREE for my sakes!JeffSteel

I played it for a few hours some months ago, didn't really like it. :P 

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 harden007
[QUOTE="JeffSteel"][QUOTE="jeffhardy141"]

[QUOTE="JeffSteel"]I still cant beleive that no one here wanted to give DW online a spin. It is frackin FREE for my sakes!DPumbliQ

I played it for a few hours some months ago, didn't really like it. :P 

It was poorly implemented. But I also am a little shocked you guys disobeyed my command to join it, form a guild, and conquer the world..... on second thought I'm not so shocked considering how lazy we all seem to be. 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bruneauinfo

well i've not been lazy these past days. i've been in myrtle beach taking my concrete paving license exams. i passed the first one. i just need to study up and take the next one and i'll have a concrete paving license in South Carolina... that's also good in Louisiana and North Carolina too!!

:D

i went to Myrtle Beach because there's a test center there.... and because i got to stay on the BEACH!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and yeah, it was a nice weekend!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 harden007

well i've not been lazy these past days. i've been in myrtle beach taking my concrete paving license exams. i passed the first one. i just need to study up and take the next one and i'll have a concrete paving license in South Carolina... that's also good in Louisiana and North Carolina too!!

i went to Myrtle Beach because there's a test center there.... and because i got to stay on the BEACH!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and yeah, it was a nice weekend!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruneauinfo

Awesome news you lazy bastard. Here we've been busy not posting and you've been spending the whole week ON THE BEACH!!!! You should be ashamed of yourself.

In other news, it's good that you're getting a good 3-for-1 deal on the license. For those who don't know, licenses like those are all about restricting access to certain professions in order to create "job security" for those already in those professions. I had the same deal with my Radiologic Technology license. Seems like everything is a tool of the commies these days. ;) 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bruneauinfo

did you get your license??

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JeffSteel

Yep, except mine is a license, to kill.

And it never expires.

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bruneauinfo

-.-

O.o

X_X

it's art!!! 

i call it Steel Wakes Up His Victim

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 harden007

did you get your license??

Bruneauinfo

Yes. Instead of spending 6 months in on-the-job-training, I had to quit my full time job, spend $14,000 (plus God knows how much in interest), and two years of my life jumping through hoops to get the license,  then couldn't get a job because of the economy. Only thing is, I had to keep jumping through hoops and spending money to keep the license, so I stopped and now I don't have the license anymore. Going to school for that cost me 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars, and got me nothing in return. I never earned one cent on xrays. That's why I hate college. 

Well their plan succeeded. It was too costly to keep up the license and now I can no longer compete for their jobs. They have hampered capitalism and the free market with their scheme and ruined me. This is essentially the guild system of Pre-capitalism medieval europe; professionals forming cartels with other members of their trade in order to seek special privilages and protections. The effects of such a policy are thus:

A.) Costs of services are artificially inflated, resulting in an overall loss to consumers/everyone.

B.) In an attempt to prevent competition of labor and to inflate prices through manufactured scarcity, entrance into the field is usually restricted, resulting in higher prices and a loss to consumers/everyone.

C.) As a result of the artificially high prices, goods and services which would otherwise be more widely available are not, resulting in less overall wealth and lower standand of living than would otherwise.

D.) Members of the cartels/guilds receive much higher compensation than the free-market value of their work. They wax-fat off the consumers and reduce rather than increase the wealth of society.

Basically it's the same thing as a labor union. 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bruneauinfo

yes, i've wasted a small fortune on college myself. 

would relocating have given you a better opportunity at getting in somewhere?

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 harden007

yes, i've wasted a small fortune on college myself. 

would relocating have given you a better opportunity at getting in somewhere?

Bruneauinfo

Probably, but the day I graduated I had three lawsuits on my ass from creditors, and my bank account had nothing in it. I would have been living in my car for months if I'd moved. My current job pays about the same so I'm not too disappointed. Working in a hospital was depressing anyways. I just wish I hadn't wasted so many resources on that particular education; I put it all on the line for it and it never paid a cent.

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bruneauinfo

well it isn't over till the fat lady sings. so it may pay off for you someday still.

at least you learned a lesson. i know i did.

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Habast
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

I chose Star Wars, but I'm a fan of all of them.

The Star Wars movies are good, but I picked it for the expanded universe (books/video games). I love the Jedi Knight and KOTOR games. 3/6 of the books I've read are AWFUL. 1/6 are meh, 1/6 are good, and 1/6 are AMAZING. I just grew up liking Star Wars and never stopped.

The LOTR movies were good, but the books are what I loved. It took me 3 months to get past the boring opening hanging out in the Shire part but after that I read the rest of all three books in about 2 weeks, haha. The only LOTR game that was really good was LOTR: The Third Age. Fun co-op. I've got high hopes for the new one coming out, War in the North.

I've played Oblivion far more than is healthy... and don't even ask about how much I've played Morrowind. TES have sucked more of my life away than most other games combined, which isn't really a good thing, but I love 'em anyways. 

I've loved DW since DW5, despite its many flaws. Still haven't played 7, though.

Wow... Just read over my post. My geekiness just rose 15 points XD Win!

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bruneauinfo

sounds like you like TES a lot.

i've a friend who likes star wars like crazy. she says the books are pretty much as you called them.

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 harden007
TES is suck a life-sucker.
PuffinGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 PuffinGod
Member since 2006 • 70 Posts

Uh, what's TES?

I voted DW anyhow because I've never been much of a Star Wars or LOTR or even Star Trek fan. I play mainly sports games.

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bruneauinfo

well, they all have their merits. i haven't played any star trek games except the Promethean Prophecy. but that's OLD school.

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jeffhardy141

Uh, what's TES?

I voted DW anyhow because I've never been much of a Star Wars or LOTR or even Star Trek fan. I play mainly sports games.

PuffinGod
TES is a beuatifly created RPG series... THE ELDER SCROLLS! stretching from 1992 title The arena to current 2011 skyrim TES has revolutionised RPG gaming. it is more soul consuming than Runescape or WOW but ironically more healthy. pretty much all to say.
harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 harden007
[QUOTE="PuffinGod"]

Uh, what's TES?

jeffhardy141

TES is a beuatifly created RPG series... THE ELDER SCROLLS! stretching from 1992 title The arena to current 2011 skyrim TES has revolutionised RPG gaming. it is more soul consuming than Runescape or WOW but ironically more healthy. pretty much all to say.

New avatar Hardy? Looks good! 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bruneauinfo

and you seem to be enthralled by Oblivion these days? 

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jeffhardy141

and you seem to be enthralled by Oblivion these days? 

Bruneauinfo
lol a bit (and bit i mean hell ya)
[QUOTE="jeffhardy141"][QUOTE="PuffinGod"]

Uh, what's TES?

harden007

New avatar Hardy? Looks good! 

ty decided i miss Quan's old outfit so ya
wonzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wonzan
Member since 2008 • 1126 Posts
DW series. I'd rather kill a thousand peons than watch any of those. Not saying they are bad or anything. Also DW has the whole RotK thing which provides another layer of entertainment e.g. by watching those dramas, reading the novel, learning about the real history etc etc
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bruneauinfo

i'm with wonzan on the full immersion factor of dw

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jeffhardy141

i'm with wonzan on the full immersion factor of dw

Bruneauinfo
true. i have more fun playing TES games, sure i love LOTR ROTK, but DW characters have emotions, rivalries, etc etc