Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Bruneauinfo
Member since 2004 • 7777 Posts

really liking the look of skyrim. like the cooler and more rugged atmosphere. beautiful lush forests are impressive in oblivion, but i always liked the more rustic look. 

anyone else thinking about getting this one?

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 Habast
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

Oh yes. I really like how the scenery and character models are turning out.

On a side note... The text and background are still white, so I can't see what I'm typing. 

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JeffSteel
Member since 2004 • 2989 Posts
Oh yeah, this will be utterly awesome, too bad my cpu would likely explode if I installed it.  Oh well, theres always later.
harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 harden007
Member since 2004 • 6884 Posts
With Oblivion I played the hell out of it until I had accomplished everything in the game, then I downloaded mods and quests and did them, then I stopped. It would probably be the same with Skyrim. I need something more if it's going to keep my interest long-term.
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bruneauinfo

well, if you haven't played wasteland yet then you don't know what you're missing - AND Wasteland will show you just how far they have come with improving the Oblivion interface and gfx. Skyrim looks even better.

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JeffSteel
You talking about that old 1988 game that inspired fallout?  Cause thats a step backwards then... :question:
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bruneauinfo

darnit! i keep doing that. i meant fallout 3. 

geesh.

i did download wasteland btw, but i haven't played it yet.

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 harden007
Member since 2004 • 6884 Posts
lol he only missed it by a few decades.
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bruneauinfo

i did the same thing with my bro about three weeks ago. had him on a wild goose chase. 

:P

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 jeffhardy141
Member since 2007 • 6151 Posts

I must say I am a massive fan of Oblivion.

If you read that post i made in DW 1 attraction my problem with ps2 gaming, well same thing for my ps3.

Oblivion took me off my feet. It was incredible. This game had to have a catch! I mean choose your way and go through a non-linear open world fantasy game where stats and weapons were well thought out.

Skyrim I really will get. I have such a great craving to get it!

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bruneauinfo

considering the improvments they made in the game when they did Fallout 3 i can't image Skyrim not being quite good.

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeffhardy141

considering the improvments they made in the game when they did Fallout 3 i can't image Skyrim not being quite good.

Bruneauinfo

Personally I never really liked Falllout 3. People keep on comparing Oblivion to Fallout and I dont see it, Obvlion just does so man things right.

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bruneauinfo

Fallout 3 IS Oblivion - literally. it's the same company, same people, same engine, same everything. they just made improvements in the game engine and fixed a lot of the leveling issues that were in Vanilla Oblivion. unfortunately there isn't as broad a specialization selection in Fallout 3 along with those improvements. so some of the improvements took away from the flexibility there was in creating a character - specifically the SPECIAL system relying on Intelligence for skill points. basically you can be either a gun or a club. not much point in anything else - or at least there aren't many other ways to play the game other than smashing in skulls or blowing them away with a gun. still, Fallout is a LOT better than many FPS games. the RPG element made the FPS aspect a ton more interesting. 

for example: the brotherhood of steel doesn't start out in leather armor. they start out in the same armor they end with. the leveling system doesn't create the annoying gradual inclusion of higher weapons and armor as the character levels up. This does happen to some degree, but it's not so annoying.

:D 

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jeffhardy141

Fallout 3 IS Oblivion - literally. it's the same company, same people, same engine, same everything. they just made improvements in the game engine and fixed a lot of the leveling issues that were in Vanilla Oblivion. unfortunately there isn't as broad a specialization selection in Fallout 3 along with those improvements. so some of the improvements took away from the flexibility there was in creating a character - specifically the SPECIAL system relying on Intelligence for skill points. basically you can be either a gun or a club. not much point in anything else - or at least there aren't many other ways to play the game other than smashing in skulls or blowing them away with a gun. still, Fallout is a LOT better than many FPS games. the RPG element made the FPS aspect a ton more interesting.

for example: the brotherhood of steel doesn't start out in leather armor. they start out in the same armor they end with. the leveling system doesn't create the annoying gradual inclusion of higher weapons and armor as the character levels up. This does happen to some degree, but it's not so annoying.

:D

Bruneauinfo

I know about Bethesda doing Oblivion and Fallout but it seems annoying how the fan base and devleopers use Skyrim as an example of Fallout 3.

Such as fans talking bout difficulty, item looting, questing etc should be done like in Fallout 3...

TES and Fallout are diffrent series leave the questing, difficulty, and looting have it the TES way, and fallout the Fallout way

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bruneauinfo

but... Fallout 3 IS TES. that was the complaint from Fallout diehards. they were angry that Bethesda got ahold of it and turned it into an Oblivion clone. 

Jeff Steel!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!! WE NEED YOU TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THESE ARGUMENTS!!!!

:p

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Habast
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

I loved Morrowind and Oblivion (though my heart belongs to Morrowind, Oblivion was just an...extended affair XD) but I couldn't get into Fallout 3. Probably because I'm not into modern games as much. I prefer swords over guns. But I also like futuristic things like Star Wars and Mass Effect. So I guess my interest just kind of skips the modern era. With the exception of a few games, of course (like Ghost Recon, looking forward to the new one).

Sorry, that was a bit of a useless rant. I also didn't like that targeting system they did in Fallout- what did they call it?

The only thing I'm disappointed with so far with Skyrim is that despite the added features they seem to be "dumbing it down" further. In Oblivion, I already didn't like the removal of mark, recall, jump, levitate, the entire skill of Mysticism, long blade and short blade being one skill (wtf? I'm pretty sure a claymore is a little different than a dagger, but that could just be me), among others. Also, I missed Morrwind text dialogue. In Oblivion, it got really old hearing the same people throughout the whole game. Not that there weren't improvements in Oblivion, and don't get me wrong, it was still a good game. I just miss the removed features.

Now I've heard talk that they are removing more skills, over-simplifying the menus, and even a rumor that they are removing weapon degradation? 0_o

Even so, I have high hopes for Skyrim. So many good games coming out that I have to get (Skyrim, Soul Calibur 5, Tekken X Street Fighter and vise versa [yes I'm a sucker for a crossover game], Tekken Tage Tournament 2, still haven't tried DW7, or Final Fantasy 13, or Lost Odessey [been wanting to try those out for a while now]) Argh! I'm behind on my gaming! Stupid life, interfering!!! Lol

Also, thank you for bearing through that. The damned text is still white and I can't see what I'm typing, so excuse the typos. 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bruneauinfo

try a different browser and see if that fixes the text color.

i'm a pretty big fan of fallout 3. not huge, but i thought it was pretty fun considering it was built on Oblivion. i was worried the leveling system was going to be super insanity/complex like Oblivion was. i also feared i was going to be wandering in a wasteland trying to figure out what to do next. luckily they found a better leveling system and the quest system worked much better than Oblivion.

i also noticed the dumbing down between Morrowind and Oblivion. i believe improved graphics became the rallying point for Oblivion. if you all recall Oblivion's graphics are legendary. before Crysis Oblivion was the measure of a gfx card's abilities. it took several generations for gfx cards to catch up to Oblivion. point is things like levitate had to go with the modeling methods they chose to create those incredible graphics. if you get a chance there are a number of flight mods available. when airborn you can see that distant objects are actually 2D billboards. they had to do this so computers would be able to generate those amazing views.

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JeffSteel

I have to say, I like Oblivion more than Fallout 3.  Yes they are the same engine and that Fallout undeniably makes a few improvements in it, especially in the areas of leveled lists.  Vanilla wise, Fallout character development is far superior to the bizarre leveling system of oblivion, but at the same time its very traditional in that its the same old gain exp regardless of what you do to level up abilities regardless of if you use them or not.  However, Oblivion has plenty of great leveling mods to fix the stupid vanilla systems (I use realistic leveling to fix character development and No Obsolete loot and enemies to fix the leveled lists) so the differences are actually moot.  Theres even a mod for oblivion that transforms it into an "exp farming to level up" system like Fallout.  I find I enjoy leveling up skills by actually using them, and not needing to dump points into a stat in order not to gimp my gains each level.

Ultimately though, Oblivion is superior because there is far more flexibility in play st.yle than in fallout.  Fallout really has only two viable alternatives due to the realities created by the introduction of firearms: the power armor wearing behemoth wielding heavy weapons, or the stealthy sniper/commando.  Of course that is with difficulty increasing mods that I use (FWE), it's even worse in vanilla, as there the only weapon you ever need is the assault rifle, preferably the unique one.  More than enough firepower to take out 99% of enemies, without the weight that heavier weapons entail.  Oblivion has tens of thousands of different permutations available in play st.yle and character development.  Yes, you can basically choose between mage, warrior, or assassin, but there are more ways to mix them together to make something potentially stronger than a straight up archetype could be.  Like a warrior who uses restoration magic to health themselves and conjuration magic to summon allies that can increase you damage output or at least distract enemies and take some of the damage off you.  Or a thief who uses destruction magic to help augment their lower base melee capabilities after the sneak attack has been performed if the target is still alive.

Finally, Oblivion just has more to do, and has more room to do it in.  Fallout has only like, twelve quests outside of the main quest line.  No guild quests, no small miscellaneous quests scattered about here and there, and really half the settlements of oblivion too.  Also the Fallout map is only about 60-75% as large as Oblivion's, which means less room for modders to add things.  And unless you shell out money for an expansion pack, Fallout ends when you finish the main quest, unlike Oblivion. 

Finally, you can get a player home WAAAY too easily in Fallout compared to Oblivion.  Oblivion makes real estate take a significant amount of money, or at least a quest thats challenging and still needs a good bit of gold to complete.  Fallout literally requires only that you go through some dialogue and activate an object, then finally pay some small sum or even get paid (!!!!) depending on your approach and poof, you have infinite storage capacity and free lodgings.  Yes, the Fallout quest has some trivial skill requirements, but any character can meet them right out of the tutorial, either immediately or after popping some pills which they should easily find in the tutorial or can just buy in town where the quest is at.  I mean, its literally harder to disarm a grenade bouquet or tripwire than it is to disarm a fracking ATOMIC BOMB in fallout, demolitions skill check wise.

Basically, I like both games, but Oblivion is the one I keep coming back to and playing obsessively.  It's an RPG with FPS elements, my favorite setup whereas Fallout, I finally realise, is a FPS with really good RPG elements.  I hate FPS's, which is a testimant to how well implemented the RPG aspects of Fallout are that they get me to play a FPS at times.

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bruneauinfo

agreed. 

my point was simply that when one plays Fallout 3 after playing hundreds of hours of Oblivion they can't help but admit the feeling of walking around in the same skin as they wore when playing Oblivion.

Fallout 3 is very frustrating in its low replay value - Vanilla or with mods. expansion packs may remedy this, but basically - SPOLIER ALERT - your character dies at the end. and then there's an expansion that brings you back to life. O.o okay.

i do however like that it takes an FPS and makes it much, much more fun. i think the programmers would have implemented some of the interface enhancements into Oblivion from Fallout if they had thought of them while making Oblivion, but I have spent more time playing with Oblivion that Fallout 3 by far too.

i also like the atmosphere in Fallout 3. its reminicent of the feelimng I get when playing Bioshock. very fun game too if you haven't played it.

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jeffhardy141

agreed. 

my point was simply that when one plays Fallout 3 after playing hundreds of hours of Oblivion they can't help but admit the feeling of walking around in the same skin as they wore when playing Oblivion.

Fallout 3 is very frustrating in its low replay value - Vanilla or with mods. expansion packs may remedy this, but basically - SPOLIER ALERT - your character dies at the end. and then there's an expansion that brings you back to life. O.o okay.

i do however like that it takes an FPS and makes it much, much more fun. i think the programmers would have implemented some of the interface enhancements into Oblivion from Fallout if they had thought of them while making Oblivion, but I have spent more time playing with Oblivion that Fallout 3 by far too.

i also like the atmosphere in Fallout 3. its reminicent of the feelimng I get when playing Bioshock. very fun game too if you haven't played it.

Bruneauinfo

Well cannon wise maybe he dosent die :D

Many things I did find very improved from Fallout 3, but thats from the Fallout section. Fallout 3 is not a sequel to Oblivion but yet Bethesda's strange actions of making both seem SOOO similar is weird to me

I prefer medival eras in game the most but what I find strange is how Fallout is like in 3000 or something but they got 50's music

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bruneauinfo

if you did some modding in Oblivion you would start to see where you could get together with some pregramming friends and make a Mod of bolivion that was very similar to Fallout 3. 

so basically that's what Bethesda did. they took Oblivion and made a custom mod and called it Fallout 3. but since they had the source code for Oblivion they were also able to modify the core game mechanics that people like me and you aren't able to get to. they didn't start with a blank slate, or even a game engine from another game like Doom or Unreal Tournament. they used the Oblivion game engine, made improvments to the engin and made Fallout 3.

in fact, Oblivion itself is just a mod created using the Oblivion game engine. they created the engine and the development tools - i.e. the TES Construction Set, and then made a mod and called it Oblivion. however, the designers had access to tools in the Construction Set that gamers don't have access to. they didn't want gamers making a mod better than the original game.

this practice is very common in the gaming industry. Dark MEssiah of Might and Magic is a "mod" of half-life 2 - in a sense. they both use the Source engine. Dark Messiah is just a much different game.