Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Bruneauinfo
Member since 2004 • 7777 Posts

revisiting Dragon Age after a long hiatus. started by trying to go back and play the original neverwinter nights and then neverwinter nights 2. both of those old games are okay. actually 2 is probably the better of the two. the problem i had with them is their interface. the interface sucks really. D&D rules kindof suck too for a computer based RPG. i mean if you played a lot of D&D by the books back in the day you'd probably love it. but there are just certain things about having to rest, having to memorize spells, and the well... let me just say it! D&D has been around a long time. and like the evolution of any other cult classic players invariably ask the creators of the game to add new options, classes, weapons, worlds, rules, abilities, skills, options, etc etc until the game is so complex and broad that you can have a dark dwarf assassin working with a lawful good planetouched-tiefling cleric on a search for a stolen magical unicorn horn that belongs to a fairy gnome princess.  O.o  Point being it's hard to create an immersive setting when the lore litterally fills a small personal library. 

the next annoying thing about neverwinter nights and D&D in general is that stories typically stem from 'storybook' methodology - and by that i mean they typically flow right out of a fairytale narrative. and if you're sitting around the table with people playing D&D and the DM can successfully pull off a fairytale narrative it's pretty impressive. but when you're approaching NWN and NWN2 from outside of this tradition it sounds corny as hell. 

in the technological age of games like Dragon Age we are spoiled by great stories like Bioshock, Halo, Half-Life, and a whole host of other great games that do a great job of pulling us in. but after playing some Dragon Age right after a decent sized dose of NWN i am in awe of the quality that went in to creating DAO.

DPumbliQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DPumbliQ
Member since 2006 • 17367 Posts

Funny you should mention Dragon Age, I played it for about 11 hours today. :P

So yeah, I'll go with newer RPGs. Mainly because of Dragon Age and Kotor. :P

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bruneauinfo

well i like the modern rpgs too, but the action rpgs are just too awesome to put in second place.

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 harden007
Member since 2004 • 6884 Posts
Apparently the Deluxe Collectors Edition of SWTOR has already sold out.
echo-sentience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 echo-sentience
Member since 2007 • 92 Posts
which category would the elder scrolls fit in?
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bruneauinfo

action rpg. and welcome to the DWU!

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 harden007
Bsaed to some extent on the opinions of some of the members, I'm currently downloading DAO
JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JeffSteel
Member since 2004 • 2989 Posts
Action RPG's for the world ahahaHA!!  Dues Ex is a game I played the hell out of like I play Oblivion now.  The Deus Ex story is about the best game story I have ever seen, and if it weren't for constant technical issues stemming from its age and my total mastery of the game I would probably still play Deus Ex every now and then.  In fact the reason I got Oblivion in the first place was that it seemed to play a lot like Dues Ex.  So, if you havent tried Dues Ex, you really dont deserve to live, just sayin.
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bruneauinfo

be careful with dragon age origins. the DLC is just about the most annoying thing to get working. it's said to work fine on the first install and then later to have trouble with new installs. i'm currently having major issues with the DLC. lots of cussing involved. but the core game is still swell.

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 harden007
wait, so the official DLC is buggy?
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bruneauinfo

not buggy. it's the drm that's buggy.

if you have trouble with it let me know. i know the trick to deal with it.

are you getting the ultimate edition?

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bruneauinfo

reminded now just how huge DAO is. been playing it for some time now and still only around 50% complete with the main story. geeeeshka!

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 harden007

not buggy. it's the drm that's buggy.

if you have trouble with it let me know. i know the trick to deal with it.

are you getting the ultimate edition?

Bruneauinfo

Not sure what my edition is, I downloaded it off gamersgate. 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bruneauinfo

how much DLC did you get?

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 harden007

Not sure really. 

Considering getting Awakening too, what should I take into consideration with that? 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bruneauinfo

awakening is not DLC, it's a whole expansion pack. i don't have it so i can't advise you. however, if you had the ultimate pack you would have gotten it all for a reasonable price. i hear the awakening is only about half as long and not nearly as open. plus there aren't a lot of side quests either. it's a post DAO mission, and not transversable from one era to the next like the DLC is.

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 harden007

Yeah ppl seem to not be thrilled with it, so ill pass on that. Maybe DA2 would be something to think about way down the road. Ill just enjoy DAO for now. 

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bruneauinfo

2 gets even worse reviews. awakening just doesn't have the story depth that DAO did. however, it's probably still worth playing if you like the combat mechanics of the original. 2 goes to a completely new combat mechanic. doesn't mean it's not fun - i've heard people say they love it. but it's like when ST:TNG came out and a bunch of hard core trekies made a big stink about it not being as good as the original.

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 jeffhardy141
Member since 2007 • 6151 Posts

2 gets even worse reviews. awakening just doesn't have the story depth that DAO did. however, it's probably still worth playing if you like the combat mechanics of the original. 2 goes to a completely new combat mechanic. doesn't mean it's not fun - i've heard people say they love it. but it's like when ST:TNG came out and a bunch of hard core trekies made a big stink about it not being as good as the original.

Bruneauinfo

I personally also felt greatly dissapointed with DA:O. PArt of it is I feel this series needs to keep the characters, starting over really felt wrong. And the replacements werent good anyway.

The combat bah man, if i wanted to press Square a lot ill go to Dynasty Warriors 6, seriously.

jeffhardy141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 jeffhardy141
Member since 2007 • 6151 Posts

EDIT!!!

I meant Dragon Age 2... NOT Origins...  

Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bruneauinfo

is it just me or does it take a huge amount of time to playthrough DA:O?!

JeffSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 JeffSteel
Member since 2004 • 2989 Posts
I'm suprised theres no "no, old school tabel top 20 sided dice and GM RPG's like D&D" option, not that anyone would have choosen it but that was the oldest of the old school RPG.  You needed things like an "imagination" and spread sheets. :o
Bruneauinfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bruneauinfo

spreadsheets... lmao

Â