rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

Developed by Relic Entertainment and published by Sierra Entertainment in 1999 and considered to be the first fully 3D Real Time Strategy game.

Homeworld has you taking control of a race whom Homeworld has been destroy by an unknown enemy force who claims to say that your race has broken a 10,000 year old treaty to prohibit developing hyper space technology.

With a developed mothership at your disposal, you're able to build a fleet of units to attack and bombard the opposition. Sometime out numbering you. This ain no easy hippie RTS like Warcraft, where you'll have all you're units intact after completing you're mission, where you'll find yourself using all you're resources in a single mission and carrying them over to the next.

If you start the next mission with 30 units where the small units cost from 30 to 100 EACH, you have to rethink you're strategy from the previous missions. Good news is the game automatic saves a new as you start on every mission.

The game is well known for it's unique soundtrack, engrossing storyline and fully 3D Movement ingame and also with a campaign with 16 missions to the game, each setting the difficultly a little challenging after each mission. This makes it a great game for any hardcore real time strategist player to enjoy and would find it rewarding.

PS: It's a really nice change to a Star Wars space RTS anyday

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#2 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts
I have yet to play it. My friend is a big fan of Homeworld.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Sounds interesting that you carry units across. I kind of hope Red Alert 3 can incorporate this in some way rather than having to build up a base and a whole new army each time (although I like the base building concept, I want the units as well :P)

Thanks for making this thread.

Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts
Haven't heard of it until this thread. :P
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rikhan_z
I'm still playing the game right now, the game is really insane.. I'm finding some missions difficult, loads of patiences is required... something I find difficult for myself.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rikhan_z

The games mechanics really do effect the gameplay... one mission, I really got hit hard... until I realased that something as simple as changing how the fighters react to a dog fight from Evasive to Aggressive really do turn the tides of the battle. I also had to wait around 10 minutes for Battleships to reach from one place to another. At some extent... alot of patience is required and some battles do turn out to be epic, however these come rarely.

At one point of the game, I was launched into an area where the sensors were totally messed up and red dot (enemies) appeared everywhere, however it's a false reading and it does add the extra challenge of trying to pick out what is what and who is who.

Sensor Craze

I'm still playing the game :)

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 garfield360uk
Is that what the game looks like or is there more to it?
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rikhan_z

That a tactical overlay and sensor system, you zoom out onto that screen when you press Spacebar.

Here's a screen during the main gameplay.

More_Dakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#9 More_Dakka
Member since 2007 • 1625 Posts

Ah yes, Homeworld- still one of the best space RTS games available. :)

Homeworld: Cataclysm, the stand-alone expansion to Homeworld was also good. I personally thought it's campaign was better than the original's, but I personally thought the original Homeworld had better multiplayer since there were more ships to use than in Cataclysm.

sridanu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#10 sridanu
Member since 2006 • 126 Posts

Ahhh the memories of playing home world. What a game !!!:)

Just absolutly enjoyed playnin every second of it. I started playing it in the 2003. A long long time after it was releaced. And it still was a execelent game, Way ahead of its time.

Its a pity that you dont have games like this anymore.:(

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 garfield360uk
I agreed sridanu, it seems the RTS games are not allways like they used to be. There seems to be more focus on graphics and much more confuisng menus in the case of Universe at War.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rikhan_z

Every developers has always tired to push the boundies of graphics... Empire Earth 3 totally messed up as some Robotic expert was trying to develop the AI for the game.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rikhan_z

I agreed sridanu, it seems the RTS games are not allways like they used to be. There seems to be more focus on graphics and much more confuisng menus in the case of Universe at War.Garfield360UK

Well considering I've just recently played Homeworld... I'm going to have to stop for now... there one missions that too time consuming... I'm talking about 12 hours... this is one of the last 3 missions of the game. I'm stop playing the game right now, because I have a life too. I could be doing better things with 12 hours. Now sitting down watching myself capture 100 ships. I too brothered about using a strike and run mission. I'm playing the others games I need to complete.

I saved and backed up the save games files onto my Sony Ericsson K800i memory card.

I see why RTS were like in the past.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 garfield360uk
Yeah, I find that as well, I play on say Locomotion or Football Manager and can waste many hours on them. I like them but there is no actual completion of them so its just taking time away from big games. I used to play Champ Manager 4 and 03/04 loads and to the point I didnt play my PS2 or Xbox so they got put to the sidelines. With me getting a 360, Football Manager 09 is my only recent version that I have and I havent played it for ages on purpose to avoid getting hooked on it again.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rikhan_z

I think all developers are looking for value in their games, that's their best idea they come up with.

Who been on the 'The Sims 3' page? Anyone noticed the 'Games you may also like?' Sidebar... it shows 7 Sins and Sexy Beach games. I thought a few of the gamer for the Sims are female.

Cathad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Cathad
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The games in this series have just recently came to my attention...finished the first Homeworld...have the add-on and Homeworld 2...but I stiil need to cool off a little from H1...to addictive..and to immersive...thow a real hard and enjoyable game....play it and you'll see
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rikhan_z

I completed this game... I had to use a trainer for the last 3 levels :( ... I have little time to complete my other games. One mission was so horrid... it would of taken me 20 hours to complete it, with the 'safe' place strategy and the final mission was amazing. It's a shame, I was looking forward to complete it without an trainer... as the game system was balance and easy to use. and was really worth the game.

I think games back then really put up a challenge for the sake that the games nowadays are easy to complete to make room for other games.