garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

As other boards and unions have a lounge (which is off topic/game talk board to keep things active) I thought it was time we had one.

We can change the title to involve major things going on, but as this is the first I thought we could use it to celebrate DeadManRollin and his recent addition to his family.

So to get the ball rolling, how is your child DMR? I hope things are going well for you and your family?

Also it is worth noting the bugs regarding posting topics and replys seems to be fixed for the time being.

Also with Christmas rolling up, anybody else going to be celebrating it? Or if not, what religious or none religious holidays do you follow if any?

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4406 Posts

Thanks Garfield, sorry I missed out on replying to your PM...I accidentaly deleted all of the messages. I''ve definitely been quite busy....initial days of parenthood are confusing and messy. Finally things are getting a bit settled, now that my baby girl is about 2 months old. 

Hoping to hang out here more.

And hope you all had a great christmas.  

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DeadManRollin
What's going on, guys? This place's been emptier than a nuclear infested town!
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 garfield360uk

Had some computer issues earlier in the month which has pushed me to using half memory on my PC.

So I have been playing a fair bit of Mass Effect 3 recently and enjoying how they tie up plot lines. I already have got the jist of the ending which makes it unusual that hearing about that and certain characters you may find along the way has actually made me want to play the game. I picked up all the DLC last week (well all the single player and free multiplayer map packs) and so will probably get working on them at some point.

In terms of other purchases, The Witcher 2 is another I picked up for my Xbox 360. I have it on PC but am growing weary of the issues of running PC games when your hardware constatly seems to run in to issues. However, I will likely keep up PC gaming if I get my PC back to full strength or maybe look into a new system if the next wave of consoles do not appeal to me.

Future games I am looking at are a bit all over the place, but mainly I am interested in Devil May Cry from Ninja Theory as I quite like their story and character development from previous games they have made.

In terms of other things, I have been watching a lot of The West Wing. I love this show and this is yet another run through of the later seasons I am watching (I really like Alan Alda's character, Arnie Vinnick). Maybe this show has also increased my interest in Mass Effect given Martin Sheen is in both and is an actor I respect.

So yeah outside of work that is essentially what I have been doing. Gaming and watching tv shows. Oh and I did see The Hobbit a couple of weeks ago. I would like to go to the cinema more often as there are a few films I have missed out on recently.

Anyway, how about you DMR? How is your family? Had any time for relaxation and if so what have you been doing?

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DeadManRollin

Ah it's always great hearing from you, Garfield. 

Well, I have been quite occupied with the newborn. I've named her Mishel, which sounds like a western name (is pronounced almost the same as Michelle, but has a different meaning--it means light in Arabic language). She is growing up to be a very interesting baby....she's only about 3 months old, and she is changing everyday. Haven't been able to take a vacation since her birth because of some extra pressure at work, but in general, I am having a good time.

As for gaming, haven't been playing much other than facebook games, which is a shame. The only other game I've indulged myself in to is Diablo 3. I have a level 14 mage character, but I am playing quite slowly and I think it'll take me a long while before making much progress. But I love the simple storylines, looting and unlocking new spells. It's a welcome change after playing some heavy story driven RPGs like Dragon Age, Skyrim and Amalur.

Hoping to see more people joining in here. Maybe we need to open up some new threads.  

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 garfield360uk
Ask, and you shall recieve ;)
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts

Bought a hori fighting stick over xmas kai version for xbox. Just picked up third strike online, marvel vs capcom 2, SSF2THD and Guilty Gear ACP for my birthday. I'm well into "d fighters right now if anyone wants to challenge me to a game of anything we both own I'd be up for that.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pai-may
If you're a fan of wrestling and of wrestling games, please do this guy a favour and watch his simulation of the Royal Rumble, which takes place sunday 26th January. Check Out WWE Royal Rumble Sims by DSP Gaming. They're always entertaining to watch.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DeadManRollin
Bought my wife an Ipad Mini 32 GB for her birthday today, she seems to love it :)
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 garfield360uk
Ah very nice, got one for yourself DMR?
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DeadManRollin

Ah very nice, got one for yourself DMR?Garfield360UK

Nah, I am not much in to Apple products. The only one I have is an Ipod 32 GB 4th Generation.  

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeadManRollin
And I think gamespot is acting funny again? 
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pai-may
Seems fine with me, what issues are you having? Though to be fair I come on this forum and that's about it. Actual use of the site as a gaming news forum for me is zero, so I cant comment on any of its other functions.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DeadManRollin
Was getting time outs in this forum yesterday, but now things seem fine. 
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 garfield360uk

Was getting time outs in this forum yesterday, but now things seem fine. DeadManRollin

Yeah I was noticing that yesterday, but it seems alright again today.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeadManRollin

[QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]Was getting time outs in this forum yesterday, but now things seem fine. Garfield360UK

Yeah I was noticing that yesterday, but it seems alright again today.

Thank God, I am not sure whether unions will survive another shutdown like the last one. We've lost all our active members except the very old, and I am glad to see Avenger posting a lot.  

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 garfield360uk
So yeah, I totally would not have put spaces in the name of the thread if it had not been for a 25 character length limit on a single word in the title.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pai-may

lol fancy there being a word character limit. 

Here's a question, what do people know about netbooks. If I keep my console, upgrade my tv and get a netbook, can I use it to open word docs, watch you tube and come on forums like this without too much drama? That's essentially all I use a pc for right now and I do need to upgrade or transition to something new real soon cuz my current pc is on its last legs. 

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DeadManRollin

Ah I miss my PS2 with all the great wrestling games on it!

As for Pai's question, I bought my wife a netbook, and initially she was quite excited about it. But after a while, it has proven to be a pretty much useless gadget. It can do a lot of things, but it's great at none of them. Most netbooks are too slow for the full version of MS Office, and virtually no decent games can be run on them. And you will soon get bored and irritated at the small screen size.

I am not sure about Surface, though. That can be better. 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 garfield360uk

Here's a question, what do people know about netbooks. If I keep my console, upgrade my tv and get a netbook, can I use it to open word docs, watch you tube and come on forums like this without too much drama? That's essentially all I use a pc for right now and I do need to upgrade or transition to something new real soon cuz my current pc is on its last legs.

pai-may

A netbook is fine for things like that but do not expect anything else, also it may be worth noting what DMR has said. The screen is really small on most and the keyboard is quite cramped so doing any major word processing is problematic. However that could be solved if you were willing to plug it into a a monitor and use a USB keyboard or some such.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#21 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

pai-may

I bypassed netbooks seeing them as a bit of a fad. Essentially they attempted to fill a gap in the market that didn't really need filling between smart phones and small laptops - but doing individual bits worse than the gadgets either side of them.

The size - designed to be small and portable, yet too large to really be convenient. They won't fit in a pocket like even a large phone, and if you need a bag / cover to carry it around in then something slightly larger (small laptop) isn't that much more inconvenient and offers a lot more potential. Battery life will be a limiting factor - by making it small and lightweight they compromise the battery, so you may need to carry around a charger which adds to the weight and also restricts its actual flexibility.

Power - they can be more powerful than mobile phones, but are notably lacking against even low end laptops. Forget gaming unless you want something from the early 2000's or before. They won't have an optical drive so you will need to work out how you get it onto the device and not have CD checks or online requirements (Steam).

Gradually manufacturers realised that the people that went for the initial ones wanted more powerful versions, so gradually the specs on offer increased, but so did the price and size, until they become indistinguishable from small laptops - which didn't carry the price premium for being branded "netbook" or the new buzzword "ultrabook".

If you want something relatively lightweight and portable and only really for basic internet and emails you can probably get away with a cheap small laptop. If you want to watch films on it make sure it is large enough to have an optical drive built in (likely 13"+) and ideally something that actually lists a graphics card, rather than built in / onboard graphics. 2GB of RAM is an absolute minimum, with 4GB preferable. Decide what size screen you want and what resolution, bearing in mind that laptops can sometimes come with unusual res (1440x900 WXGA) rather than the more common 720p / 1080p widescreen standards.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pai-may
Thanks for the advice people, I'll take it on board as I continue to ponder what to do next. Essentially I want to remove the tower pc from my room, upgrade my xbox to a slim cuz mine is way noisier now than it ever used to be and freezes up more and more, though it hasnt done it for a while. Oh and an LED TV, so essentially a full gear upgrade. I'm looking at £190 for the 360, £120 for the hdtv I've seen and I'm considering a chromebook for my current pc needs, around £200. We shall see.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 garfield360uk

What TV are you considering getting if you don't mind me asking?

Been playing Halo 4 multiplayer this weekend, pleasently surprised by how good it is. I think I am not fully back into the FPS game market like I used to be but the multiplayer on Call of Duty and Halo are not as bad as I used to perhaps think (possibly I was burnt out on them).

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pai-may
I'm not sure lol, it's just one I've seen in the argos catalogue which is the same make as the bigass one downstairs and the dvd player, it's possibly an Lg, but it's LED and cheap as chips, so that suits me fine.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DeadManRollin

Guys, check out today's Google Doodle. It's about Bangladesh's liberation war. Needless to say, I live in Bangladesh and I am immensely proud about our liberation war.

https://www.google.com.bd/search?q=Bangladesh+Independence+Day&oi=ddle&ct=bangladesh_independence_day_2013-1112005-hp&hl=en 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 garfield360uk

Ah interesting, I was not aware you were from Bangladesh. How do you feel things are going in your country now? Also, how are your family doing?

Also time for the new topic title, I got fooled twice today (one a topic about a Wii U price cut which seemed real until I went back to find the links were all april fools html links, the other was a friend posting online about an 1888 Football Manager game which should have been obvious, my excuse was I was not expecting the April fools thing, totally forgot about it).

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pai-may
I stayed inn bed past mid day so I avoided all such incidents. Obviously my friends are not as creative as yours.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DeadManRollin

Haha, yeah I haven't really shared much about my personal life here in Gamespot and you are not on my facebook..that's why you didn't know @Garfield. 

Situation in Bangladesh is not that great, but it's not like something we've never seen before. At the end of each term, the opposition parties get impatient and start trying to get the ruling party out of power. It's a complicated thing.

I didn't get April fooled, but pulled off a few myself :)  

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 garfield360uk
In terms of sharing things, I am the same, tends to be the issue of you don't know who is reading these pages (I have had issues in the past of a friend screen printing what I was writing to mock me in the past which wasn't fun really).
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DeadManRollin
Hi guys, long time no activity. What's up with you?
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pai-may
lol  I guess we're all depressed with the boring April weather and the very boring April releases. On another note my brand new 360 slim is having trobles reading disks and reading the hard drive. It's going to go back to the shop. I am not happy.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 garfield360uk

Wow, I typed a response out but Gamespot signed me out when I clicked post.

The essence was:

Man flu causing me to watch more DVD's than gaming the past week or so. I hope to get back into games this weekend, got a few installed recently such as Just Cause 2 to get back into. Hope Netflix will put the new season of Arrested Development on DVD as I love the show but don't want to subscribe to Netflix (I am really torn on this, as I really really want to watch Arrested Development season 4 but I really dislike subscription fees like this as you don't own anything from it).

Also, anybody been playing anything or been to see any films lately? Personally want to see the new Tom Cruise film and Iron Man 3. I might pick up Sniper Elite Zombie Army this weekend as I saw it in a local game store and it kind of got my interest. I will have to see.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DeadManRollin

Hope you'll get well soon, Garfield. Right now I am a bit upset as a business trip got cancelled at the very last moment. However, I am thinking about replacing it with a great vacation. 

I will surely watch Iron Man 3 when it comes out, as I have been following almost every Marvel movie that came out in recent times. And as for games, I am halfway through with my 2nd game of Xcom. Also playing "Real Racing 3"on my Ipod occasionally. It's a decent racing game, and the touch controls are intuitive enough to be enjoyable.  

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 garfield360uk

Ah that sucks about your trip. Although a vacation is perhaps the better thing given you and your family can have some relaxation perhaps rather than having to work when out.

I just watched the first Iron Man over the weekend again and may give the second one a watch again to get my memory back on what has happened. Should be good.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DeadManRollin
The second Iron Man movie wasn't that great. The only good thing about the movie was Black Widow's introduction, and the villain was cool at the beginning, but ended up being a boring guy at the end. Still a good watch, though. 
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pai-may

Iron man movies for me seriously sucked. Both of them. But then again Tony Stark himself is an interesting character but his roster of bad guys arent that great. Disney and marvel are spamming the public with all these movies, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and not one of them has touched the quality of Super or Kick Ass. Additionally you're just watching movies designed to pull you i to the main franchise which is supposed to be The Marvel Heroes.

Whatever, marvel will get spanked very shortly as I see the new Superman movie as being far more interesting that the latest Iron Man, with Mandarin as the villain. I mean, c'mon, can any of you ou there even tell me what the Mandarin's powers and goals are as a villain without wikipedia. I doubt it. 

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DeadManRollin

Well I won't say the marvel movies are the smartest or has great plots, but they are entertaining, and that is what most people seeks when they walk in to a theatre. 

Superheroes sell, and Marvel is doing it right.  

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 garfield360uk

Iron man movies for me seriously sucked. Both of them. But then again Tony Stark himself is an interesting character but his roster of bad guys arent that great. Disney and marvel are spamming the public with all these movies, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and not one of them has touched the quality of Super or Kick Ass. Additionally you're just watching movies designed to pull you i to the main franchise which is supposed to be The Marvel Heroes.

Whatever, marvel will get spanked very shortly as I see the new Superman movie as being far more interesting that the latest Iron Man, with Mandarin as the villain. I mean, c'mon, can any of you ou there even tell me what the Mandarin's powers and goals are as a villain without wikipedia. I doubt it.

pai-may

I hope you are joking about Super. I love that film, but the quality of production compared to Iron Man or the others mentioned is not anywhere near to that level. Super is great as an indie super hero type of film, a "what if this was real" type of question, but it does not have those super high production values (budget obviously plays its part, not dissing the director James Gunn or the rest of the crew and cast members etc).

I hope to see Iron Man 3 in the cinema, but if not I will get it on Blu Ray or DVD when it gets released. It may not be the best film ever, but not every film has to do that for me to watch and enjoy it. For instance, I love The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, but there were some plot issues, however it really sucked me in and made me laugh and feel like I enjoyed the film.

Hopefully the new Superman film will be great, its from the director who did the latest Batman trilogy and Inception, so at a guess I will enjoy it. Some good films out and about, I would also like to see Oblivion at some point (even more so now I hear M83 did the sound track) but that is also one that depends if I go to the cinema or watch it when it gets a disk release.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pai-may

No, I wasnt joking Garfield, but then I understand as a man who has confessed in the past to being into graphics and flash, that you'd prefer to watch a high end movie over a indie film, even if the indie film was superior in every other way than the sheer amount of special effects your eyes are bombared with. 

Marvel are frankly just churning out the crap and people lap it up. But then Disney have been doing that for years so I shouldnt expect greater things from the house of marvel. If you go to the cinema to switch your brain off then fair enough, you may enjoty this sort of garbage, but I prefer to be entertained and provoked into thinking rather than watching the same tired old stories that I read in the nineties being played out on the big screen. Yawn.

In before Marvel reboots the entire movie line and hands it all over to JJAbrams. 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 garfield360uk
Well I don't recall saying I would rather watch graphics over indies. My point is the quality in production terms is there with Iron Man and the others mentioned. Sure, maybe the stories could use some work, but they are fine films. But I like both indie and high budget films, no reason to avoid them because they have a big budget or low budget, as long as I feel the film is good I am happy.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pai-may

You've admitted you're into graphics and HD with your computer games and your BLue Ray collection. I merely extrapolated from there.

I'm pretty much done with anything marvel is putting out these days. It's style over substance and certainly the storylines are very poor. They should actually let their top British writers work this stuff through and then hand it over to a script writer. That'd make more sense than just hiring some guy who's a fan or letting an actor script a film because he likes a character (though in fairness Hulk 2 was better than Hulk).

My other issue with Marvel movies is that they have essentially hired Samuel Jackson to play Nick Fury because Mark Millar originally had his version of Nick Fury litterally look and act as Samuel Jackson in his Ultimates comic line because it'd be cool and it essentially took the urine out of the team because the ultimates were very "hollywood". It was a tiny little joke that Marvel and now Disney insist on clinging to, to try and make their films cool. Pfft. 

Make the Ultimates as a movie and you have a cool movie. Dont cherry pick characters from it for your own lame, bland, vanilla franchise. Have the balls to produce something in cinema that was a literary work of genius and art. (They never will because it's too adult). F%%& marvel.

About the only thing they've ever done to step outside the box is cast a man with hair as professor X. Their comic lines blow chunks these days and so does their film world. Sorry but Disney may well make profit in the millions from these films, but they have no soul. 

You watch Superman, Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman and you tell me that that film has no soul and well then shame on you. 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 garfield360uk

Well, each to their own. I am not saying other films or comics are bad or that films that do something different to the comics are bad either. I like good graphics, but that doesn't mean I dislike anything that is not $100 million budget film with 3D super effects etc. I really like Super for instance, but just because I like that doesn't mean I can't like Iron Man 3.

Another example is, I really enjoy Moon, even though its a low budget two character film that did poorly in the cinema and home release as far as I know. But I do not go to the cinema to watch films that have high or low viewing numbers, I go to watch films I want to watch (same with disk releases). Saw is a film that lots of other people like and that's fine, but I personally can not stand that style of film so never intend to watch them. However fair play to those who like it and watch it, it's just not my cup of tea. That doesn't mean I think the film is the worst thing ever made or whatever, it just means its not for me and that's fine.

My impression is that you don't like these films because they deviate from the comic books, and that is fine, but that doesn't automatically mean that the current Marvel films are awful because they dare change things from the books/comics or whatever, it just means they are different or trying to do different things. Personally I quite like the three Iron Man films and feel each offers something different to the last and Tony Stark does change and has more than one dimension as a character. Hiring Robert Downey Junior as lead character for that film was a stroke of genius as far as I am concerned, he is a cool man who has that perception of having a big ego and self confidence and that is portrayed in the films but he also shows a nice side and also does the right thing which is what is needed in a hero film. This is not a super hero film though, because its not like Spider Man who has super natural powers (or somebody like Hulk or the X-men team), Iron Man has a suite that does the work, but its the character inside who makes the film. That said, I also enjoyed X-Men and the recent X-Men Origins and look forward to the next film. Also the new Star Trek could be super awesome (and likely lots of lense flair haha).

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Avenger1324
I think it can make a difference whether you know the characters from the comics and their backstory or not. Personally I've not read any of the comics, so can take the marvel / DC films and various other superhero films just as popcorn entertainment action films. Some I've heard of, but there are almost as many that the first time I heard about the film I had to ask other people to find out who or what the main character was.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pai-may

@Garfield, nah the main reason I dont enjoy the marvel movies is because they have no soul, are poorly written and acted and if you consider that the co,mpany has decades of storyarcs to plunder, why would you go with Thor's half brother invading for the Marvel team up, or wait 3 movies to actually introduce Iron Man's arch nemesis. At least in this regard DC get their film franchise right straight away, what with Batman kicking Rahz ah Ghuls ass in the first movie and then facing off against Joker.

If you actually want to see what a decent superhero screening should look like, watch Arrow on Sky 1, it's better than anything Marvel have put out in the last ten years and probably at way less expense. Green Arrow and Arrow certainly have very little in common morally, the comic version doesnt kill the bad guys because he's a good guy. TV Arrow puts men down because they have failed his city. He's kind of like Batman but wont have recurring villains because most of them are dead.

I'm with you on the Star TRek movie thing a me gigg. Mr Cumbabatch (sp) as a villain could be a stroke of genius and once again plays off the old British actors as villains in hollywood. I enjoyed the first movie a lot so we shall see. Aside from that, anyone interested in seeing Fast 6? 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 garfield360uk

I will be interested to see it, the trailer shown before Iron Man 3 for that film made it look really cool. The last Fast and Furious was pretty cool, it is kind of silly when you watch the plot but the film is enjoyable from an action point and just pure random things they do with it.

Is Green Arrow the one with the Bentley car and has Seth Rogen in it? If so then yeah, I have not seen that film but the trailer put me off as it just did not strike me as a hero film.

I guess this can be seen the same for me regarding the background, as Batman Arkham games my issue with them was the lack of Christian Bale voice for Batman. I had seen the latest Batman films first so hearing a different voice really bugged me (but that aside the games are really good, even if Arkham City does get a tad hard towards the end).

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pai-may

Well superheros never sound as they should in my opinion but that's because I read their lines in my head so it's weird hearing someone else say them.

No not Green Arrow the movie, Arrow the TV series. A little teen/adult oriented and certainly something marvel would never consider doing with one of their big characters. Turning him all dark and edgy. The film with Setyh Rogan in was Green Hornet, you plonker. 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 garfield360uk
Ah right that's the one. Yeah I did not watch that as it looked pretty poor (but maybe it is good, I do not know).
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pai-may
Well it's probably a bit late to jump on and watch it right now as it's coming to the end of the series, but aside from a couple of the actors being rough around the edges, it's in my opinion far superior to any of the super movies that have come out recently. For starters it's way more original, isnt pandering to the expectations of fans who dont want their histories altered and isnt covered in disney smaltz. If they repeat the whole series sometime in the future you should give it a go.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 garfield360uk

Well the DVD's are out so that would give me something new to watch and if it is getting to the end of a season/series then now seems a good time to jump in so as to avoid months of waiting between seasons.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Avenger1324

I've been watching Arrow (TV series) and been enjoying it, though again it's a character I had never heard of before seeing the adverts and pilot episode. He's a bit like Batman, in the sense that he is a normal person fighting people that are harming his city, rather than having some mutation or super power. He also lives the life of a rich playboy, with very wealthy parents that had a lot of power in his city, and uses plenty of high tech gadgets in each episode.

The story is told as a mixture of current life and flashbacks to the island where he was marooned for 5 years after a shipwreck, with the flashbacks serving to explain how he developed his skills as well as the reasons why he has the desire to right his fathers wrongs. As I've chatted with Garfield before regarding Lost, where flashbacks really irritated me, in Arrow they work much better and link together week on week.

The only real downside so far has been the scattergun approach to scheduling the show - started well with a run of about 10 episodes in 10 weeks, but the last few have had gaps of several weeks between each one - just don't know when the next one will come so it's hard to remember what was happening in the overall story. If you get it on DVD then that won't be a problem :)