Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 I1yodsyo1I
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

Yes.

I'm kinda geting sick of all of these shooters out now, be it killing Locust, Covenant, Muslims, Nazis, Japanese, Mutated crabs, zombies... ugh.

Are they good games? Yes, but they aren't games that would stand the test of time (most of them anyway). Don't get me wrong, I like some shooting games (like COD4), but I think the market is oversaturated with this genre.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#2 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts
I think it is a safe market for most developers although they're really starting to lack originality now. That isn't to say all shooters are over-rated though, I think Halo, Half-life, Goldeneye, Quake, etc all deserve the praise they recieve from gamers.
Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
The market is not oversaturated. You have been oversaturated - but make no mistake - shooters are one of the most popular genres and it's here to stay. I certainly welcome them.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

There a reason why shooters are popular... forget the ideas of nazis, locast, mulism, terrorist, enemies for a minute... and ask why people like shooters.

Now the market has a place for them, however most of them are all different, I do agree the market has alot of un-needed shooters, however the bes desicion is to buy the better shooters and leave out the poorly developed crap.

The title does get me confused to the subject matter... over-rated or over-saturated?

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I think it means over rated as in Shooters should perhaps not get 9/10 as they are not as good as say RTS games?

I am not saying that is true or false, that is the point of this thread, but I think this is what the OP is getting at?

kingkilla3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 kingkilla3
Member since 2006 • 17193 Posts
There's something about them that make them very good to play, and the genre is now one of my favourites. It all depends on the player, and I really like the games.
Crush_Project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#7 Crush_Project
Member since 2005 • 606 Posts

There's something about them that make them very good to play, and the genre is now one of my favourites. It all depends on the player, and I really like the games.kingkilla3

Thats that muscle reflex action at work.  Thats why fps's get popular in a nutshell:  everyone can get good at them with some practice.  These games dont require thought or most of the time even stratedgy, and they are usually pretty to look at.  

You can crap in a box and sell it as an fps and you'll sell games.  Doesnt matter how good your product is.  The reason why is any idiot can play it and be good at it lol.  If you ever try and get your mom to play a video game, get her to start on a fps, it has the highest chance of attracting her attention as a nub.

Crush_Project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#8 Crush_Project
Member since 2005 • 606 Posts
not to say that shooters dont require skill, its just easier for people to get into.
kandy00345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kandy00345
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Shooters are to the video game world what horror films are to the movie industry. They all have a tried and true formula that lacks originality and gives the mass market of shooter lovers (or horror movie lovers) what they crave. Its not a bad thing, per se, but yes they are overrated. Most have half-baked story-lines anyway, and the few that do have story lines often get shot down with 'less talk, more action' comments. Of course, MGS4 had a nice balance, but those games come around once in a blue moon, and i wouldn't consider GTA4 a shooter, exactly. So what do us consumers get left with, a million Silent Hills, Left For Deads, Bioshocks, Halos, etc. None of these games are bad, but they are all practically the same game, with a different package. This could be argued against, naturally. Any lovers of Silent Hill and haters of Left for Dead will protest, but this is merely my opinion in this discussion. I'm not interested in contradictions, thanks.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

It's easy to make a good shooter with a bad story.

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 kevinjia32
Member since 2005 • 1278 Posts

Not at all. I love a good shooter. From Crysis to GTA4. Blasting someone in the head with anything is just a great deal of fun and all the more satisfying. A good shooter has an ingriguing story and is deep, EX. Metal Gear 4.

It ain't easy to make a good shooter with a bad storm. Can you name any Scianix-Black? I can't.

thore33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 thore33
Member since 2003 • 208 Posts

To SOME degree every genre has it's OVERRATED games. But, ultimately the ones that do well are the ones that seem to do something different and do it WELL. Our beloved RTS even has over-saturation. But it's the games that do it WELL that get good ratings. Crysis, Halo, GOW, Bioshock, etc have SOMEthing that makes you want to continue playing, whether it's a good story, atmosphere, music, features, multiplayer, etc. There are plenty that suck, though, and get the 5-7 ratings.

If you look at the new trends in RTS, it's similar. Red Alert only got an 8.0 (which was borderline IMHO), basically b/c it is the same formula with a new enemy. But, the games that add a twist do better... Total War, World In Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, Warcraft 3, Commandos, etc. had something that made them unique, and warrant high grades.

What i think is most interesting are the new games that are "cross-genre" and how badass we all feel they are. Fallout 3 has moments that feel FPS, but in reality is an RPG. Same with GTA4 series.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rikhan_z

There was one game that I that was really over-rated... The Getaway... news stories... long development time, TV advert.. in the end... it was just a piece of Sh1T

Need for Speed Undercover and Prostreet as well.

I1yodsyo1I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 I1yodsyo1I
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

Just want to clear this up: I don't hate shooters, but I am lost in the huge list of games that get released, and it seems lots of them get a bunch of awards... with horrible stories (WHY?!?). I don't play games that much; I usually play games with interesting stories or concepts.

Here's my top concern: Will shooters ever tell a good story, Well, there are some out now that are good (Call of Duty series, Resistance series, Halo...1), but there are too many that don't have one or have one but suck at it (Like Gears). Maybe I made this thread because my brother (still) talks about Halo 3 being the best game ever made... and plays a lot of it, so I kinda got sick of shooter games...

And no, I am NOT oversaturated. Jesus.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I do agree that alot (not all, but some I have played) of the FPS titles have poor stories and really dont emerse the player. I do feel Halo was good in making you feel like a one man army in the first but in the third you do feel more like there is more going on and you really do need help from others in the game.

I like the story in Bioshock, the story needs to either really be emotive or something with a bit of depth like political issues (like Haze sounds interesting to me with a private company owning a governments army, that would lead to conflicts of interest for sure) and COD World at War I actually felt they tried something with the Russia characters (the USA ones felt generic but one of the Russian seargents is with you the whole game and it really works well his character and how it starts off).

Shecra_Namenca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Shecra_Namenca
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I said yes, but i think it depends on the type of game. Personally, i think there are too many of these games out there, but then again, they aren't all exactly the same as each other, and i guess there is no end to the different scenarios that game manufacturers can come up with, so its not really surprising that there are so many of them.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rikhan_z

Just want to clear this up: I don't hate shooters, but I am lost in the huge list of games that get released, and it seems lots of them get a bunch of awards... with horrible stories (WHY?!?). I don't play games that much; I usually play games with interesting stories or concepts.

Here's my top concern: Will shooters ever tell a good story, Well, there are some out now that are good (Call of Duty series, Resistance series, Halo...1), but there are too many that don't have one or have one but suck at it (Like Gears). Maybe I made this thread because my brother (still) talks about Halo 3 being the best game ever made... and plays a lot of it, so I kinda got sick of shooter games...

And no, I am NOT oversaturated. Jesus.

I1yodsyo1I

Well thanks for clearing that up

FoeCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 FoeCrusher
Member since 2008 • 301 Posts

I think that there hasn't been much variety or innovation from the titles that I have seen of late. Certainly for the PC shooters and RTS games seem to be all the rage. The only one that I think I will go out and get is Left for Dead. The cooperative gameplay looks very refreshing. The guys on the now defunct "Second Take" at Tom's Hardware talked about its appeal. Man does its cancellation suck.

Rob Wright who loves shooters thought it was a great take. Personally, I am not a big fan as they don't hold my interest for long. The only series that has hooked me has been the battlefield series which is truly fun when you get a good team together.

Foe

bobthesponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bobthesponge
Member since 2006 • 173 Posts

Well my opinion on this is that most people are addicted to violence and what can give pure violence ? . . . a shooter game , fill one each other with bullets and "hey lets throw a grenade to him and see him blow like an egg falling from the third floor ( unconscious thought )" so ease to make, standard a sale success , and enjoyable ! well yes for me shooter games are overrated ,i really like games like unreal,world war games,sci-fi shooter and many others but i respect the work of other who try to do something different with more quality in it ! and remember ....(Give to a man a bullet and he will want a gun ..... give to a man a gun and he will be giving away the bullets ! ) 8)

Abgoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Abgoj
Member since 2005 • 12168 Posts

Hell yes they are, i'm a fan of shooters but most of them are too similar nowadays, only a few occasionally branch out and try new things.

Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts

Nej, not overrated.

But are there too many of them? Yes.