MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

I would want to see the union revived, but at this point in time I don't think it's feasible to do a full revival. Siberian made a good point that right now there is nothing stimulating union updates, which is ironic since we're getting more assurance of forum upgrades than ever before. The latest push with the poll on Site Enhancements & Feedback stalled out pretty quickly, which is a shame since we all know the support for union updates once existed, but those users have either become inactive on the site, or have taken apathy after so many years of waiting. But I do think that getting the union back up and running would facilitate the union update bug. The activity in the union from last year helped bring unions back into the limelight, leading to union of the week in the community blog, union activities, and whatnot. However, in direct correlation with the union's activity, union of the week has faded away, and many unions are still waiting on their promised boosts for previous activities. It's frustrating how every other month there'll be some kind of a push for union updates, but will fail to gain prolonged support. So ideally, I would like to see the union revived, but I don't see the support to get it above a state of semi-dead in the meantime. Even though I greatly doubt the thread will generate a flood of users, if there are just a few people who can make a strong commitment to get the union back on its feet, the union could still be revived. I can't pledge myself to the union, but I can pitch in here and there if others are on board.

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts

We had a decent shot last time, but something happen to reduce new posts relatively quick until everyone stopped showing up.

It just doesn't work if the leadership doesn't commit to posting as much as, if not more than, making and updating union features.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
I would like to see a revival of the union, as it is pretty great. We would really need to get the leader on board with it, or have GameSpot remove him.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GreggD
Member since 2004 • 6710 Posts
Eh, sure. Why not.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
As I said, I do not believe that this union has much of a future anymore if administrators cannot show unions love. The union awards died out despite promises that it would be completed and there's not much talk about unions anymore. While I would like to continue this union, there just is not much I can do besides getting this union out there or continuing posting features. Even then, it's a flawed concept, no? Discussing unions can only be done so much before it gets repetitive. As for removing me from power...Why? What's the point of supporting and spending time on a system that administration apparently does not want to support? The same thing would probably just occur again with a new leader anyways.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts

It just doesn't work if the leadership doesn't commit to posting as much as, if not more than, making and updating union features.

lancelot200
This. This union has never been established enough to where it can solely rely on recruits and officers to keep the union running. The leader of this union needs to be present, else people will disappear like has happened frequently in the life of this union. I'm for getting this place up though, I've always enjoyed this union and it does provide some help if people were to use it correctly. . .
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 uas-2001
Member since 2005 • 18781 Posts
As for removing me from power...Why? What's the point of supporting and spending time on a system that administration apparently does not want to support? The same thing would probably just occur again with a new leader anyways.siberian142
Where GS might not want to support it, but it is evident that many users still do. Therefore we may as well keep this place running for a place for members of different users to go to for advice and discussion etc. The union can organise events itself (e.g. Union of the Year Awards), and can act as a voice for union members. I think it is at least worth giving it a shot. I personally cannot commit to leadership however I think it would be a good idea to nominate users for the leadership position. Or alternatively users can put themselves forward as wanting to take on leadership, and who knows if we'll get anywhere but you can't know without trying.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 siberian142
[QUOTE="siberian142"]As for removing me from power...Why? What's the point of supporting and spending time on a system that administration apparently does not want to support? The same thing would probably just occur again with a new leader anyways.uas-2001
Where GS might not want to support it, but it is evident that many users still do. Therefore we may as well keep this place running for a place for members of different users to go to for advice and discussion etc. The union can organise events itself (e.g. Union of the Year Awards), and can act as a voice for union members. I think it is at least worth giving it a shot. I personally cannot commit to leadership however I think it would be a good idea to nominate users for the leadership position. Or alternatively users can put themselves forward as wanting to take on leadership, and who knows if we'll get anywhere but you can't know without trying.

The former can still be done. What events other than the union of the year awards would you suggest? This union can't really compete if GameSpot / the Rangers intends on doing the awards themselves.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 julian_jr
[QUOTE="uas-2001"][QUOTE="siberian142"]As for removing me from power...Why? What's the point of supporting and spending time on a system that administration apparently does not want to support? The same thing would probably just occur again with a new leader anyways.siberian142

The former can still be done. What events other than the union of the year awards would you suggest? This union can't really compete if GameSpot / the Rangers intends on doing the awards themselves.

Since when do rangers/gamespot have to do things? The reason that the union awards even came back for a brief time had nothing to do with either of the two. You're relying too much on other people to get what you want accomplished rather than doing it yourself. Unions can easily create events, it's up to the users not Gamespot/rangers.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 siberian142
[QUOTE="julian_jr"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="uas-2001"] Where GS might not want to support it, but it is evident that many users still do. Therefore we may as well keep this place running for a place for members of different users to go to for advice and discussion etc. The union can organise events itself (e.g. Union of the Year Awards), and can act as a voice for union members. I think it is at least worth giving it a shot. I personally cannot commit to leadership however I think it would be a good idea to nominate users for the leadership position. Or alternatively users can put themselves forward as wanting to take on leadership, and who knows if we'll get anywhere but you can't know without trying.

Since when do rangers/gamespot have to do things? The reason that the union awards even came back for a brief time had nothing to do with either of the two. You're relying too much on other people to get what you want accomplished rather than doing it yourself. Unions can easily create events, it's up to the users not Gamespot/rangers.

When did I say I was relying on them? I'd just want to prevent overlapping between the Council and the Rangers, since they started an official one last November and an unofficial one wouldn't be as effective as an "official" one, unless if they're still hosting the awards here.
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts

[QUOTE="julian_jr"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="uas-2001"] Where GS might not want to support it, but it is evident that many users still do. Therefore we may as well keep this place running for a place for members of different users to go to for advice and discussion etc. The union can organise events itself (e.g. Union of the Year Awards), and can act as a voice for union members. I think it is at least worth giving it a shot. I personally cannot commit to leadership however I think it would be a good idea to nominate users for the leadership position. Or alternatively users can put themselves forward as wanting to take on leadership, and who knows if we'll get anywhere but you can't know without trying.siberian142

When did I say I was relying on them? I'd just want to prevent overlapping between the Council and the Rangers, since they started an official one last November and an unofficial one wouldn't be as effective as an "official" one, unless if they're still hosting the awards here.

The rangers don't seem like they even notice unions. I think it would be a good idea to have our own Union of the Year awards. I remember other unions doing the same thing. If we spread awareness of the union, it could help. If you don't want to help this union get back to its former glory, you should give the leadership to uas.

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 julian_jr
When did I say I was relying on them? I'd just want to prevent overlapping between the Council and the Rangers, since they started an official one last November and an unofficial one wouldn't be as effective as an "official" one, unless if they're still hosting the awards here. siberian142
It doesn't matter if it's official or unofficial. The rangers stated they'd do one and never did it. . . What would make an official one better than an unofficial one when the majority of unions don't even know about the official one? Only thing that could be offered would be a level boost for the most part. I'll take an unofficial one that people know about rather than an official one that barely anyone even knows about.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
If there is a new leader, I'll bookmark/join the board again.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 siberian142

[QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="julian_jr"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="uas-2001"] Where GS might not want to support it, but it is evident that many users still do. Therefore we may as well keep this place running for a place for members of different users to go to for advice and discussion etc. The union can organise events itself (e.g. Union of the Year Awards), and can act as a voice for union members. I think it is at least worth giving it a shot. I personally cannot commit to leadership however I think it would be a good idea to nominate users for the leadership position. Or alternatively users can put themselves forward as wanting to take on leadership, and who knows if we'll get anywhere but you can't know without trying.GamerofMario1

The rangers don't seem like they even notice unions. I think it would be a good idea to have our own Union of the Year awards. I remember other unions doing the same thing. If we spread awareness of the union, it could help. If you don't want to help this union get back to its former glory, you should give the leadership to uas.

It is not that I do not want to help get this union back to its former glory, it is that it would feel like a wasted effort. Besides organizing events or beating a dead horse with the same topics, the council does not have any particular staying power. I understand what everyone is getting at, but this union will likely always be bordering on dead if there is not any viable news to discuss or, if hosting awards or whatever, a go between.
johngrose77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johngrose77
Member since 2008 • 2978 Posts
Union interviews are interesting as well and provide for some conversation. None of you know me, but I willl help get this union back on its feet. It is a pretty important union. I would be one more person that cares. It is a start. Besides it will not hurt to try. If you do not know me. I am officer at FFE which is active here and there. But not active right now. I am leader of KHE which I revived. It is pretty active, but not major. So I am under FG pretty much. I hate watching unions drop off. I have inspired a leader of her union to try and revive it. There are many that care it is getting these people together. I understand it may seem helpless. But this union could serve as an incentive to get unions running. A beacon of hope for unions everywhere. It also seems like you guys willl need more officers. The more active officers the better. Cause I only see one active officer. And a leader. We can not give up just yet. Just from the people in this thread is enough to do good in reviving this union. I can get help from other places as well. I am a leader myself. I know other leaders as well. I stick to FF and RPG unions. I am in to help;) I think we can do this.