Council Of Unions Meeting (Officers Only)

• 172 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Lazdude
Member since 2004 • 1520 Posts
This is a place where only officers can discuss important and local issues with great importance to the union and the site in general. Decisions are made here and action is taken based on everybody's viewpoints.
Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lazdude
Well I may as well start things off, what do you guys think of the changes to the union board? I have also updated the union graphics, so do you prefer the new or old version?
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 hendrix29
Member since 2006 • 10960 Posts
I like it, although it is very similar to your other union :P, not that there's anything wrong with that. I like the old banner, but otherwise, I'm fine with anything else. Also, I have a question as to why recruits can't post here, is this more like officer discussion, because I know recruits want their say as much as anyone else.
Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lazdude
I'm glad you like the new graphics. The purpose of this thread is so we can make administrative decisions that don't involve everyone else's input. Sort of like a staff-only thread that most other forums have.
asvicj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 asvicj
Member since 2006 • 10500 Posts

I know I'm a recruit and all but if you dont want recruits to be posting here, lock the thread.

P.S. New banner is cool but is kinda empty on the left.

Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lazdude
Thanks for the suggestion. As for the banner, I went for a "less is more" approach.
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
I think the buttons look fantastic, but the banner really doesn't need the plastic wrap. It looks really weird.
Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lazdude

What specifically are you referring to yian?

@hendrix29: I recommend posting the "2007's class of unions" article on the home page. I can add some graphics later on.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hendrix29
alright sure, hopefully it just doesn't screw up with the title being, well you know the word.
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
I like the new look, good job on it.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
it looks good, LazDude
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
You've done a fantastic job on the unio Lazdude:).
Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lazdude
Oh dear me, I completey forgot about accepting new applicant requests. For some reason though, whenever I try to approve someone, it won't let me. I keep getting an error message telling me I'm affiliated with too many unions - as if I was about to join a union, except I'm not. Anyone know if this is a normal bug?
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blizzvalve
it's just a bug. It happens to everyone
Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lazdude
Hey blizzvalve can you create a new forum topic for me, called "General Discussion & Off-Topic" - where members can talk about anything they like. Thanks.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blizzvalve
Sure I will
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hendrix29

Oh dear me, I completey forgot about accepting new applicant requests. For some reason though, whenever I try to approve someone, it won't let me. I keep getting an error message telling me I'm affiliated with too many unions - as if I was about to join a union, except I'm not. Anyone know if this is a normal bug?Lazdude

yes it is. Sorry I never talked to you about that, but it means they are already in 30 unions, but they still applied. They can't get in to the union. I do the applicants every 3 days or so, so you're covered.

kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kcwsk8
Member since 2008 • 3585 Posts
Hope you all got the telegrams. You have read my idea. I hope it works. Also I want to do a union of the week kind of thing. I will start it, if we dont already have something like this. What do you think? Also officers and the leader need to be posting more. Im the only active member. We have to put forth an effort to revive this union. Who's with me? :)
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blizzvalve
Ok I'm here. What's up?
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kcwsk8
the union is dead. we need to revive it. thats pretty much whats up. we need the leader to post that will motivate everyone else.
Avatar image for TheForgotten0ne
TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheForgotten0ne
Member since 2007 • 3759 Posts

Hope you all got the telegrams. You have read my idea. I hope it works. Also I want to do a union of the week kind of thing. I will start it, if we dont already have something like this. What do you think? Also officers and the leader need to be posting more. Im the only active member. We have to put forth an effort to revive this union. Who's with me? :)kcwsk8

I love that idea, a union of the week could work.

But then how should we do it? Should we pick a random union? What should we ask, what should we comment?

But I love the idea, and I think we should try it!

kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kcwsk8
how about a nomination thread? we can ask what union should be union of the week. then we deside.
TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheForgotten0ne

how about a nomination thread? we can ask what union should be union of the week. then we deside.kcwsk8

I think that could work, I have a new union up for a nomination. Trying to get the leader of the union over here.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blizzvalve
Sorry for not posting much. I keep forgetting about this place
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kcwsk8
thats ok, but we need to get this place running again. yian needs to help us.
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yian
Dear officers, hereis the situation. We need more feedback from lots of union leaders. We need to let them know that this union is about improving unions, so not only do we want people who are interested in building union, but also senior union leaders who care about the future of the union system as well. This means we need feedback from high-profile union leaders as well. So, if you know such people, please invite them here!
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kcwsk8
ill talk to fastesttruck. he leads 11 or 12.
TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheForgotten0ne

ill talk to fastesttruck. he leads 11 or 12.kcwsk8

Remember that it's not how many unions you lead that make you a high profiled leader. Is how well you lead the union(s).

kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kcwsk8
he is leader of the emblems union. but he said he couldnt lead it. im going to talk to the leader of the gamespace banner union tomorrow.
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yian
I have been trying to reach SentinalV, but he hasn't been at Gamespot for the longest time.
TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheForgotten0ne

I have been trying to reach SentinalV, but he hasn't been at Gamespot for the longest time.yian

Didn't he take his union away from GS?

Yeah he did, and that site is more or less dead aswell

www.HCUnion.com

yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 yian

Here is my honest opinion about Headcrab Union. You see, at Gamespot, it might be the largest and most popular Half-Life 2 community. But on theInternetin general, it is just a small forum dedicated to Valve's games. There are hundreds of themout there, and some of them are already big enough to rival Gamespot itself, such as Planet Half-Life.

This just further illustrate the problem an union movingoff Gamespot might face. Gamespot community is the primary source of union activity. No matter how frustrated you have become with the union sytem, cutting off the main source of your activity will just give you a dead community.

TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheForgotten0ne

Here is my honest opinion about Headcrab Union. You see, at Gamespot, it might be the largest and most popular Half-Life 2 community. But on theInternetin general, it is just a small forum dedicated to Valve's games. There are hundreds of themout there, and some of them are already big enough to rival Gamespot itself, such as Planet Half-Life.

This just further illustrate the problem an union movingoff Gamespot might face. Gamespot community is the primary source of union activity. No matter how frustrated you have become with the union sytem, cutting off the main source of your activity will just give you a dead community.

yian

Agreed, thats why I said when people moved off-site, rather move to a "new" game page that say they will make a union system for you. And start over there, it will help the new site (They would owe you/us), and you wouldn't cut of your supply of new members.

kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kcwsk8
that make scence^
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kcwsk8
Officers. I want you to look through the older pages of the union. Find topics that were good ideas, and post here. I will consider remaking it. a link is helpful.
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kcwsk8

sorry for triple posting but as leader i dont mind when people do that as long as they dont get carried away.

anyway we need to discuss some things:

Union of The Week(or month, which ever is better)

Leader of The Month(or week, which ever is better)

and should we keep the name of the board the same? I was thinking about changing it from union discussion, what do yall think?

there will be more but thats all for now.

TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheForgotten0ne

I think Union of the Month and Leader of the every second week.

No, we should not change the board name. Why should we? It's about Union Discussion, so why change it?

kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kcwsk8

just wondering if anyone could think of something more unique.

And sorry about all the telegrams yesterday. I completly over did it. But I will send telegrams to keep everyone involved. Just not nearly as much.

So I guess it is decided, we do leader of the weeks, union od the month. I will also create a topic, called Hall of Fame, so we can keep record of all those. I still have alot of ideas, but lets go slowly about doing them.

And what do you think about letting recruits invite people? I can do a background check on all the new members who inlist, to make sure they are or have been leader. If they have or are not, I will remove them from the union, along with the person who invited them if I can find them.

Also do you think we should invite mods and staff here, even if they are not a leader or have been a leader?

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts

just wondering if anyone could think of something more unique.

And sorry about all the telegrams yesterday. I completly over did it. But I will send telegrams to keep everyone involved. Just not nearly as much.

So I guess it is decided, we do leader of the weeks, union od the month. I will also create a topic, called Hall of Fame, so we can keep record of all those. I still have alot of ideas, but lets go slowly about doing them.

And what do you think about letting recruits invite people? I can do a background check on all the new members who inlist, to make sure they are or have been leader. If they have or are not, I will remove them from the union, along with the person who invited them if I can find them.

Also do you think we should invite mods and staff here, even if they are not a leader or have been a leader?

kcwsk8
Admins would benefit the union if they got involved.
BladeMaster75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 BladeMaster75
Member since 2005 • 4222 Posts

Definitely, that would also strengthen our connection with GS and make them more likely to listen to us as the voice of unions.

And also I'd just like to say... I was really surprised when I saw the promotion notice in my inbox, I wasn't expecting to become an officer here at all. But thanks for your trust in me, I won't let you down. :)

TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheForgotten0ne
Well, if we invite admins and mods. Make sure to not invite them using GameSpot invite, but rather send them a telegram asking if they would concider to join to help and support the GameSpot union system. Try to make it sound formal and personal.
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kcwsk8

thats what i do. i advise to go to a moderator union and get a list from there members list.

and welcome blademaster to the ranks of officer

BladeMaster75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BladeMaster75
Basically the leader/officers of the Moderator Collective.
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kcwsk8
should we let staff members join, even if they are not leaders, or been leaders? if you think about it, they are like leaders of Gamespot.
TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheForgotten0ne

Well, don't invite them. Send them a PM.

You think they get several invites, probably many people just inviting then. And they probably ignore them all. No matter what the name is, they just ignore. So send a PM. A personal Message asking if they would concider joining and share their opinions about the Union System with us.

And if they say no, accept it. They probably don't have time for this anyway. And I think Don is the person we should talk to with gamespot.

So my vote is NO! Don't invite them and don't ask them. They have more important things to do!

BladeMaster75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BladeMaster75
I say absolutely, send them PMs asking if they would join, but not too many. Just the few that Don recommends. That'll strengthen our connection with GS, spread awareness about the existence of this union, and lend us more credibility/authority/whatever the best word would be here.
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kcwsk8
yeah. i never invite mods or admin by invite, but PM. thats how I got the three great mods who have joined. Two being master mods. I have tryed talking to staff but never could find any. but now i know where to see a list of staff members, so i can ask them. we need a connection again, and it wont hurt anything. Plus they could turn into active members. Im going to invite some. And NOT by invite. ;)
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kcwsk8
i see polls are working good here. we need to keep that in mind. also we need to make sure users understand that there is more then one page of topics. and another thing; with TFO on vacation, yian gone, do we need a new officer? maybe Don can be an officer again? I may include that in the PM I send him.
BladeMaster75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BladeMaster75
TF0'll be back, I don't think we need another officer right now.
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kcwsk8
We need some new ideas. Any suggestions?