yermomsboxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 yermomsboxx
Member since 2005 • 6348 Posts
the next gen Castlevania's might be in very impressive 2d? If not, they'd better make more interesting and not as similar looking locales to explore this time. That was the main downfall of the 3d Castlevania's, and they certainly should have enough memory this time. It all comes down to work ethic.
RockmanSRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RockmanSRD
Member since 2004 • 5067 Posts

the next gen Castlevania's might be in very impressive 2d? If not, they'd better make more interesting and not as similar looking locales to explore this time. That was the main downfall of the 3d Castlevania's, and they certainly should have enough memory this time. It all comes down to work ethic. yermomsboxx

It's possible.  It might also be possible that 2D games really start becoming more scarce by the time the next generation is in full swing, at least on consoles.  Many are starting to talk about how outdated 2D fighting games look now and 2D fighting games have been a standard for a long time.

It's easy to assume the handheld Castlevanias will remain 2D.  The next-gen consoles will have so much power, even a super-detailed 2D game might seem out of place.  Konami might expect a 3D game to be developed; just so that another one of their flagships can be "next-gen".

It would be interesting to see what they could do with a side-scroller that is rendered in 3D.  I imagine the detail would be pretty fantastic.  It would be really good, even in this generation.  That might be because they would be only be having to draw the environments in one direction, the characters would look pretty good too.

Work ethic is part of it, yes, but so is budget.  Work ethic is great until you are running out of money and ideas and still have environments to develop.  Igarashi has said on many occasions that if people want better environments, they have to do one thing. . .  'Convince Konami to give them more money to work with'.  You can take that as you will, we all know Iga is a bit odd.  It seems the real money for Konami in Castlevania is still with the 2D games.  It's just more economical for them to put more money toward those.

As for level designs. . .  That goes back to budget.  There are no real limitations in this generation with storage capacity on the DVD format.  They could have had some insane ideas, but scrapped them because of money.  The levels in Curse of Darkness and Lament of Innocence had the right ideas behind them.  They just didn't have the last little push to make them fully realized creations.  I don't know if we should believe what Iga says about the budget or not, but developers do cut corners.  Often in places where that is the last thing needed.

It would be great to see another CV with designs similar to Legacy of Darkness, those were some unique, well-constructed levels.

frosty197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 frosty197
Member since 2005 • 111 Posts
I think they almost got the whole 3d thing right with Curse of Darkness.  But on the 2d topic, I have always wondered how a Castlevania game that has the whole 2d-3d effect like Viewtiful Joe, would be like?
Geusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 Geusprime
Member since 2004 • 2263 Posts
Koji Igarashi is getting a bad budget like Rockman said but this is only for console Castlevania releases. The handheld releases are doing well enough where he's getting a bit more freedom with the series. He was trying to win back some brownie points with Konami with Nanobreaker but it didn't do so well and niether has Curse of Darkness, however they both did moderately well in Japan so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more console Castlevania release. He's obviously putting most of the time and effort into the handheld releases. I'm pretty sure Dawn of Sorrow was the only thing that happened to Curse of Darkness. It must be a pain working on two games at once. Especially if you look like Indiana Jones.
alucard1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 alucard1137
Member since 2006 • 2916 Posts
i think tyhat they should just comepletely foreget about 3d games and just make 2d games
venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 venus577
Member since 2003 • 1555 Posts
i think tyhat they should just comepletely foreget about 3d games and just make 2d gamesalucard1137
BLASPHEMY!!!
jacobs1282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 jacobs1282
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts
I have to say again, do both, but get a good budget for both. Their 2d games are great, I haven't played one I didn't like and the 3d games are in the right direction, they just need a little something more. I thought LoI was very fun, and I still haven't found a copy of CoD.
alucard1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 alucard1137
Member since 2006 • 2916 Posts
personaly i think that they should just concentrate on handheld and pc games to get more money and then take a risk and try to make a good 3d game