dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15970 Posts

Whether or not you actually believe that that person's teachings were/are correct is not important to this question. It can be someone as far back as the early hindu sages or as recent as Charles Russell. Who is your favorite prophet/teacher/deity incarnation/enlightened one?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

Whether or not you actually believe that that person's teachings were/are correct is not important to this question. It can be someone as far back as the early hindu sages or as recent as Charles Russell. Who is your favorite prophet/teacher/deity incarnation/enlightened one?

dracula_16
Um.. Jesus? :P Okay, seriously. I like Martin Luther's original writings, and I have a great deal of respect and admiration for CS Lewis.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Outside of my religion, I like Bhudda the most (if he counts).
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15970 Posts

Outside of my religion, I like Bhudda the most (if he counts).ghoklebutter

I like him as well. He seemed like a very noble man because he dedicated his ministry to help others while wanting no glory for himself. He's similar to Jesus in that regard. Despite the fact that Jesus was not a buddhist, some buddhists regard him as a bodhisattva; which is a man who dedicates his life to help other people reach enlightenment instead of focusing on his own path.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Outside of my religion, I like Bhudda the most (if he counts).dracula_16

I like him as well. He seemed like a very noble man because he dedicated his ministry to help others while wanting no glory for himself. He's similar to Jesus in that regard. Despite the fact that Jesus was not a buddhist, some buddhists regard him as a bodhisattva; which is a man who dedicates his life to help other people reach enlightenment instead of focusing on his own path.

I agree. I am also fascinated with Bhuddist philosophy.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#6 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
But there is no way to know if buddha actually said most of the things ascribed to him so it's kinda difficult to praise something that could simply be a legend...
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

But there is no way to know if buddha actually said most of the things ascribed to him so it's kinda difficult to praise something that could simply be a legend...Gambler_3
You don't have to praise him, simply praise the good ideas attributed to him. People in general aren't praiseworthy, rather it's what they do or say that deserves a positive or negative response.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]But there is no way to know if buddha actually said most of the things ascribed to him so it's kinda difficult to praise something that could simply be a legend...domatron23

You don't have to praise him, simply praise the good ideas attributed to him. People in general aren't praiseworthy, rather it's what they do or say that deserves a positive or negative response.

Very true.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The historicity of the Buddha is even more questionable than Jesus. There is very little evidence to suggest that a man named Shakyamuni Gautama (Siddhartha) even existed, let alone became an enlightened sage and was "the Buddha" himself. The legendary figure is most definitely extant, but the historical man is slim at best.

I personally don't really have a favourite teacher. Either those I know of are too strict in their morals or the teachings are incredibly esoteric or incredibly disagreeable. I tend to gravitate more towards figures of ancient philosophy and mythologies, the more heroic and lively types, rather than the "morally upstanding" individuals. i.e. people who like to party, have sex, live life to its fullest, go on adventures, slay great beasts and save others from doom, etc.; instead of pleasing "God" and defying their urges in favour of "righteousness".

Such as figures like Astaroth, Perseus, Gilgamesh, etc.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Outside of my religion, I like Bhudda the most (if he counts).ghoklebutter
I can't believe I forgot him! Thanks for reminding me. :) Buddha's teachings contain a lot of wisdom. And now that you have reminded me, I also love reading the Dalai Lama's writings. He is a very wise man, and a great teacher and spiritual leader.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ghoklebutter

The historicity of the Buddha is even more questionable than Jesus. There is very little evidence to suggest that a man named Shakyamuni Gautama (Siddhartha) even existed, let alone became an enlightened sage and was "the Buddha" himself. The legendary figure is most definitely extant, but the historical man is slim at best.

I personally don't really have a favourite teacher. Either those I know of are too strict in their morals or the teachings are incredibly esoteric or incredibly disagreeable. I tend to gravitate more towards figures of ancient philosophy and mythologies, the more heroic and lively types, rather than the "morally upstanding" individuals. i.e. people who like to party, have sex, live life to its fullest, go on adventures, slay great beasts and save others from doom, etc.; instead of pleasing "God" and defying their urges in favour of "righteousness".

Such as figures like Astaroth, Perseus, Gilgamesh, etc.foxhound_fox

Even so, the teachings attributed to him are full of wisdom.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I tend to gravitate more towards figures of ancient philosophy and mythologies, the more heroic and lively types, rather than the "morally upstanding" individuals. i.e. people who like to party, have sex, live life to its fullest, go on adventures, slay great beasts and save others from doom, etc.; instead of pleasing "God" and defying their urges in favour of "righteousness".

Such as figures like Astaroth, Perseus, Gilgamesh, etc.foxhound_fox

Surely Heracles too? He fits your description quite well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Even so, the teachings attributed to him are full of wisdom. ghoklebutter

I've read more than enough sutras than I can care for and there is as much wisdom in the Buddha's teachings as there are in other traditions. I'm not implying that you believe this but... I find that many people think that Buddhism is somehow "greater" than other religions and has some "supreme hidden esoteric knowledge" that can't be found anywhere else.

Trust me, I spent the good part of a couple years trying to find that knowledge and never came across anything besides a lot of the same old religious arguments, and a lot of monastic meandering on topics that for the most part, made little sense. The writers purposefully wrote their works in a way that makes it hard to read, and thus, derive valuable material from.

And honestly, I have come to agree with something in Zoroastrianism: the "way" is not found through seeking of liberation alone in the woods, but involved with the community at large. Buddhism might posit the "middle way" between house-holding and asceticism, but a lot of Buddhist meditation practices are derived directly from ascetic practices, and the monastics are to be "removed from society" if they are to become enlightened.

Surely Heracles too? He fits your description quite well.domatron23

Oh but of course. I could have named several from the Greek tradition alone, I just didn't want to limit it to a single tradition, Perseus was just the first to come to mind.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I really enjoy reading Saint Augustine. A lot of his beliefs and teachings were very nuanced.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#15 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I totally agree with foxhound, bhuddhism seems to get some "irrational" respect among the more "enlightened" ones...

Admittedly I havent read that much about buddism but whatever I read I didnt find anything to be particularly groudbreaking or special which was partly the reason why I didnt go any furthur.

I also agree with foxhound with appreciating those who live life to the fullest, I have never undersood this whole "killing your desires" and getting some "inner whatever", desires cannot be killed sorry!!

They can only be "postponed" by offering some future reward which some other religions seem to understand better...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I think Thomas Aquinas is the most intelligent person to express his religious views. I'm mostly fond of his cosmological argument. I think it's the best argument for deism, although I fail to see how it supports a God who is active in his creation. I still think it has its flaws mostly due to our current uncertainty on the subject. I've read little else of his though.
chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts
probs budda
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#18 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts
I think the Dalai Llama is a particular wise man. You could say hes may favorite religious teacher.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox
I mean no offense... but don't get me started on the Dalai Lama. Before Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama was an extraordinarily violent figurehead that used fear, torture and war to gain their ends. Only after Tibet was broken open by the Chinese and forced to assimilate, did the Tibetan people become so staunchly "non-violent." Before 1953, you could have your eyes melted out with molten metal if you didn't accept the Dalai Lama's legitimacy.

What he stands for is a noble cause... but where it comes from is down right dishonest.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghoklebutter

I mean no offense... but don't get me started on the Dalai Lama. Before Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama was an extraordinarily violent figurehead that used fear, torture and war to gain their ends. Only after Tibet was broken open by the Chinese and forced to assimilate, did the Tibetan people become so staunchly "non-violent." Before 1953, you could have your eyes melted out with molten metal if you didn't accept the Dalai Lama's legitimacy.

What he stands for is a noble cause... but where it comes from is down right dishonest.foxhound_fox

That is...surprising. :o

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Not really a favourite teacher, but I think Pope John Paul 2 should get some credit for some of his works.