dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts

Many people throughout history have been murdered for refusing to convert to a certain religion/cult. Even though I may not agree with what a religious person believes, I admire the dignity of the people who have held on to their beliefs in spite of certain death awaiting them.

If a terrorist was going to kill you unless you denounce your god/prophet, would you be willing to die for your faith?

To atheists/non-religious, I ask a similar question; if a terrorist was going to kill you unless you join his religion, would you refuse to convert [and die] or would you convert?

I hope that none of you ever have to make this choice, but this is a hypothetical question. :)

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
What exactly would joining this person's religion entail?
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dracula_16

What exactly would joining this person's religion entail?GabuEx

To perform the religion's rituals and live life according to its doctrines (at least until the terrorist lets you go).

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]What exactly would joining this person's religion entail?dracula_16

To perform the religion's rituals and live life according to its doctrines (at least until the terrorist lets you go).

How long (roughly) would that be for?

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
I would certainly denounce my faith if he was going to kill me, as life is more important to me then my ideals. As for converting, it would depend. If he forces me to convert, then lets me go I would probably convert, then run away later:P. If he kidnapped the person, and forced them to carry out his faith, it would depend which religion it is..For the more brutal ones(killing others, harming yourself, torture, etc), I would probably chose death over it.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I would pretend to embrace their faith, and whenever I have a chance to get out of it, I would go. Atheism isn't a cause to die for, nor is it a religion; to me, it's just how things are.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
To save my life, I'd convert. I don't feel martyrdom for atheism as something of a noble cause. I don't have to actually believe the faith to practice it (like a lot of people) so I wouldn't have an issue taking on a faith that I don't believe in (if forced). However, I would definitely try to remove myself from that situation and apostate (and knew I was safe from death).
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#8 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I admire the dignity of the people who have held on to their beliefs in spite of certain death awaiting them.

dracula_16

You are aware that most people do that to win favours from god right? And you are also aware that many loved ones of such people would have rather have them lied and saved their lives? How is valuing your dignity and beliefs more than your loved ones something to "admire"?

Anyways I wouldnt even admire an atheist dying out of dignity even though there is no heavenly selfishness involved in that one, it still is a ridiculous thing to stand for your beliefs when facing death.

For me it's not even a question, I am too much afraid of death to ever accept it consciously even if I was an 80 year old ass with nothing significant to look forward in life.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

As an atheist I'd "convert". I'm not going to die over a lack of belief. Unlike theists where they often believe there will be a great punishment for ever expressing disbelief in their religion and great reward for being a martyr, atheists don't really have any reason to not pretend to be religious should they encounter a situation where being religious would be advantageous.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dracula_16
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]What exactly would joining this person's religion entail?RationalAtheist

How long (roughly) would that be for?

It takes away from the fun to explain everything. :P

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Maybe.

dracula_16

Off-topic: Can you please explain the "extent of one's ignorance" mentioned in your sig's quote?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Off-topic: Can you please explain the "extent of one's ignorance" mentioned in your sig's quote?

ghoklebutter

I hate to butt in... but I see basically the idea that knowledge is "knowing what you don't know." In that, someone completely ignorant is less knowledgeable than someone who is ignorant but knows why they are ignorant and is trying to learn more.

Confucius has said some really weird things, but a lot are quite profound.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I mouth pretty lies for my life (I'm an atheist), but my heart and head would always be free
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
In the words of Patrick Henry, "Give me liberty or give me death!" I will not fake my life to live it. That would deprive me of my liberty, my freedom of thought.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

To save my life, I'd convert. I don't feel martyrdom for atheism as something of a noble cause. I don't have to actually believe the faith to practice it (like a lot of people) so I wouldn't have an issue taking on a faith that I don't believe in (if forced). However, I would definitely try to remove myself from that situation and apostate (and knew I was safe from death).foxhound_fox
Same here.

For me, being a martyr for a cause doesnt serve any purpose.

Although it could be said that there could be cases where the sacrifice of someone might work as a great help forthose who face the same or for those whose convictions arent as strong to survive after they have converted (not really converted but to survive).

So in essense, soneone's sacrifice may not help others decide to become martyrs too but it may be something that will give courage to people and strength to keep their beliefs even in secret.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I'll just lie and convert.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
Depends on how long the terrorist plans to keep me. If it's anything longer than a year, then I'll take death. Because I don't have the patience or endurance to fake theism for that long.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

There are two ways I can address this question.

Literally, hopefully.  Jesus is to be more important to me than life itself.  At least, I hope I would never deny Christ in any circumstance.  Peter said he too would never deny Christ and did just that the night following.  As such, I will admit that I know not whether I'd keep to the faith unless I was in said circumstance.  I can only hope and pray that I remain faithful in such a situation.

I do not intentionally seek such a literal death, but I do not fear such a thing.  Paul explains my thoughts on the subject quite well in Philippians 1:21-24, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body."

Metephorically, I am to die every day. I am to put to death sin and "kill" my "old self."  I am to die to my old desires and gain the desires of Christ.  Such things as the "American dream," prosperity, and worldly desires to go be given up for the sake of sharing the Gospel, living in holiness, and finding pleasure in God, the things of God, and the gifts of God.  This is not to say I cannot enjoy life, I am simply to enjoy a "different life."

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Never. As long as I'd only have to pretend for a short while I would possibly even find it interesting.