Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

No. Since you haven't met many atheists you cannot even know of this matter "generally". Would you feel better if the comment you quoted said: "religions are generally cults"? I don't think so.

Lansdowne5

Yes, I 'would' actually. That is of course, if it was backed up by study data. Like my statement is. . . . .

First of all it isn't backed up by any data. And do you have study data that proves that religions don't act like cults?

Two studies were done on separate occasions, both suggest that atheists, in general, are less moral than theists. :)

Do you have data that proves they do? The absence of data doesn't prove anything, and it can't possibly be used as a sensible argument. I don't have data to prove that pigs can't fly, does that mean they can? ;)

Judging by the people in this union, myself and the people I have personally met I have the right o doubt the validity of those studies which as you yourself have said they simply "suggest". ;)

As for the religion I never tried to prove they are cults. I just brough up this example to show you how flawed the logic of studies are when you have many examples in front of your ...screen. Bus as you yourself have said, even if a theist and an atheist do the same amount of good in their lives still only one of them goes to heaven; ie only one is the right type of human. So what's the reason in arguingabout a belief that is flawed by it's very foundations?! :roll:

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

No. Since you haven't met many atheists you cannot even know of this matter "generally". Would you feel better if the comment you quoted said: "religions are generally cults"? I don't think so.

Lansdowne5

Yes, I 'would' actually. That is of course, if it was backed up by study data. Like my statement is. . . . .

First of all it isn't backed up by any data. And do you have study data that proves that religions don't act like cults?

Two studies were done on separate occasions, both suggest that atheists, in general, are less moral than theists. :)

Do you have data that proves they do? The absence of data doesn't prove anything, and it can't possibly be used as a sensible argument. I don't have data to prove that pigs can't fly, does that mean they can? ;)

Obeying orders is not necessarily a moral act... I agree people around you are benifited in some sectors but the twist is still there...

Now I don't have data to prove thesists appear morally superior(do they really? :roll: ) because they follow orders. But that doesn't mean they don't. May be some of them do.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

Judging by the people in this union, myself and the people I have personally met I have the right o doubt the validity of those studies which as you yourself have said they simply "suggest". ;)

As for the religion I never tried to prove they are cults. I just brough up this example to show you how flawed the logic of studies are when you have many examples in front of your ...screen. Bus as you yourself have said, even if a theist and an atheist do the same amount of good in their lives still only one of them goes to heaven; ie only one is the right type of human. So what's the reason in arguingabout a belief that is flawed by it's very foundations?! :roll:

That's at best. . . one hundred people? Which is only a small percentage of the amount of people who took part in the studies I'm referring to. >_>

As of yet, you have failed to show me an example of why the logic of the studies is flawed. For one, the internet cannot be considered a reliable source. You have no way of knowing whether what someone says is actually true or not. And for two, whether my belief is flawed is totally irrelevant to whether atheists are less moral than theists. ;)

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

7guns

Obeying orders is not necessarily a moral act... I agree people around you are benifited in some sectors but the twist is still there...

Now I don't have data to prove thesists appear morally superior(do they really? :roll: ) because they follow orders. But that doesn't mean they don't. May be some of them do.

Who said it was? Who said that's even what I'm referring to? I certainly didn't. ;)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Teenaged

That's at best. . . one hundred people? Which is only a small percentage of the amount of people who took part in the studies I'm referring to. >_>

As of yet, you have failed to show me an example of why the logic of the studies is flawed. For one, the internet cannot be considered a reliable source. You have no way of knowing whether what someone says is actually true or not. And for two, whether my belief is flawed is totally irrelevant to whether atheists are less moral than theists. ;)

Lansdowne5

About the first post... what can I say I guess I have faith in people regardless of their faith-status. But I did mention also people I know so anyway you wouldn't believe the studies (which you won't say exactly which those are) if you didn't have that belief yourself. So since their result is not to change someone's mind but reinforce the belief of certain people then they're not worth the reference as they are just there to reassure you and others (because I will have to suppose they are invalid, because I see no link or whatsoever).

And as of the second, off-course your belief is relevant because that what I was bugging you for in the first place.

EDIT: But I know that the statement of the 1st paragraph about studies could be turned against me in the case they proved atheists were more moral, so I'm not pressing on.

All I'll say is that statistics can be proved wrong (although I don't believe those anyway), future-wise, and that won't take the atheists to convert to Christians, for sure!

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Teenaged

About the first post... what can I say I guess I have faith in people regardless of their faith-status. But I did mention also people I know so anyway you wouldn't believe the studies (which you won't say exactly which those are) if you didn't have that belief yourself. So since their result is not to change someone's mind but reinforce the belief of certain people then they're not worth the reference as they are just there to reassure you and others (because I will have to suppose they are invalid, because I see no link or whatsoever).

And as of the second, off-course your belief is relevant because that what I was bugging you for in the first place.

You've seen the results of the studies before, but here it is one of them again - http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/atheists_theists_morality.pdf

You have 'faith'? That's a good argument from an agnostic. :roll:

And my belief is not relevant. Why would it be? My statement is not based on my belief, but on data from the studies I have seen.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lansdowne5

EDIT: But I know that the statement of the 1st paragraph about studies could be turned against me in the case they proved atheists were more moral, so I'm not pressing on.

All I'll say is that statistics can be proved wrong (although I don't believe those anyway), future-wise, and that won't take the atheists to convert to Christians, for sure!

Teenaged

Who proved atheists were more moral??? And by all means, feel free to prove the statistics wrong. ;) So far, all you've given as evidence for athiests and thiests being morally equivalant is "what's on your screen". Go conduct a study on another thousand people and then come back with the results. ;)

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

You've seen the results of the studies before, but here it is one of them again - http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/atheists_theists_morality.pdf

You have 'faith'? That's a good argument from an agnostic. :roll:

And my belief is not relevant. Why would it be? My statement is not based on my belief, but on data from the studies I have seen.

That study doesn't even address morality, it addresses attitutes to it. Also it's a PDF, therefore it is itself immoral. :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Teenaged

I read the statistics of the survey (nothing more) and I will say this and don't get offended please: from my experience I would say that theists tend to be very pretentious about their priorities. This may as well mean that you may be one of the few truly adamant Christian (although I don't know you, that would be a possibility for you not accepting what I say). In other words Christians are more contended with the way they live even if they have flaws because for them it's enough that they are believers, meaning that this in itself isd so good that compensates for the rest.

Now when it comes to atheists, judging by  myself (as an agnostic) tend to be more strict judges of themselves and their tendency to scrutinize religion and life in general has passed on to when judging themselves. Thus there's always a self-doubt which may destort the reality of what each think he/she holds close to his/her heart.

Besides those surveys are based on what people "think of themselves", or generally what they believe, not what they act like. There is a huge difference. In no way do I believe that either side has an advantage of morality against the other. Those surveys should be carried out with action in mind and not what people profess to believe or hold sacred. I know MANY pretentious religious people in real life. Trust me.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Lansdowne5

I read the statistics of the survey (nothing more) and I will say this and don't get offended please: from my experience I would say that theists tend to be very pretentious about their priorities. This may as well mean that you may be one of the few truly adamant Christian (although I don't know you, that would be a possibility for you not accepting what I say). In other words Christians are more contended with the way they live even if they have flaws because for them it's enough that they are believers, meaning that this in itself isd so good that compensates for the rest.

Now when it comes to atheists, judging by  myself (as an agnostic) tend to be more strict judges of themselves and their tendency to scrutinize religion and life in general has passed on to when judging themselves. Thus there's always a self-doubt which may destort the reality of what each holds close to his heart.

Besides those surveys are based on what people "think of themselves", or generally what they believe, not what they act like. There is a huge difference. In no way do I believe that either side has an advantage of morality against the other. Those surveys should be carried out with action in mind and not what people profess to believe or hold sacred. I know MANY pretentious religious people in real life. Trust me.

Teenaged

Being morally good and being a Christian cannot be separate from each other. When you give your life to Christ, you start to display the fruit of the spirit. The two are synonymous. :) 

Anyway, I think this discussion has gone far enough. You believe atheists and theists can be just as moral as each other, and that my data is inaccurate. I do not hold the same view. I think the discussion is pointless unless one side will change their opinion, which seems. . . unlikely. 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Teenaged

Being morally good and being a Christian cannot be separate from each other. When you give your life to Christ, you start to display the fruit of the spirit. The two are synonymous. :) 

Anyway, I think this discussion has gone far enough. You believe atheists and theists can be just as moral as each other, and that my data is inaccurate. I do not hold the same view. I think the discussion is pointless unless one side will change their opinion, which seems. . . unlikely. 

Lansdowne5

Maybe for you Lans. How can you know how other religious people behave when I'm sure you must be hanging out with other theists who have the same stance when comes to faith. You can't always judge by your friends or the people very close to you. You have to look outside where theists may indeed not be as faithful as you are.

I'm telling you all these things because I've seen it myself. I have seen people like you (too few) and MANY others who say as much as you but do only 1%. And I'm not exaggerating here.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#63 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Holy ****!  I watched some videos.

I seriously think Scientology should be heavily investigated by the US government, just like they investigated that cult in Texas last year.

FREAKS.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#64 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

Lansdowne5

*cough* bull **** *cough* post studies

What do you think the theist/atheist ratio is in prison?  It doesn't support your argument.  Additionally atheist statistically are more likely in the educated and high IQ crowds, again not where you find the bulk of criminals.  

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Sitri_

To say "all religions are cults" is a nasty generalization. You'd have to know what every religion was before you could make that sort of claim.Lansdowne5

To say "all religions are cults" is to use the simple textbook definition.

cult  

1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

7. the members of such a religion or sect.

8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

To say "all religions are cults" is a nasty generalization. You'd have to know what every religion was before you could make that sort of claim.Sitri_

To say "all religions are cults" is to use the simple textbook definition.

cult  

1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

7. the members of such a religion or sect.

8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

It's quite obvious which definition would be meant by the statement. If not, there would be no point using the word in the first place, as it would just be a synonym with the same meaning. . . . .

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

To say "all religions are cults" is a nasty generalization. You'd have to know what every religion was before you could make that sort of claim.Lansdowne5

The point wasn't that all reigions are cults, the point was that the end result is often the same.

-

However I do agree there is a difference between a religion that openly states its beliefs, allows members to join or leave as they please, and has public access to its rituals, and a cult where members face physical consequences for departure, must heavily personally invest before gaining access to their full beliefs, and where the public is not permitted to see what occurs during ceremonies.

-

While someone raised Christian from childhood is certainly psychologically bound by "fear of hell" and ingrained Christian-morality, they are in a different place than a Scientologist who fears legal reprecussion, physical violence, or financial ruin if they quit.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Sitri_

It's quite obvious which definition would be meant by the statement. If not, there would be no point using the word in the first place, as it would just be a synonym with the same meaning. . . . .

Lansdowne5

While intended as pejorative, it is a synanym.   Darwinism is not synomomous to "belief in evolution" but we still see that misnomer tossed about quite frequently.  

This reminds me, Funky was it you modded for saying the word "fundie," how is that any more offensive than "darwinism?"

The point wasn't that all reigions are cults, the point was that the end result is often the same.

-

However I do agree there is a difference between a religion that openly states its beliefs, allows members to join or leave as they please, and has public access to its rituals, and a cult where members face physical consequences for departure, must heavily personally invest before gaining access to their full beliefs, and where the public is not permitted to see what occurs during ceremonies.

-

While someone raised Christian from childhood is certainly psychologically bound by "fear of hell" and ingrained Christian-morality, they are in a different place than a Scientologist who fears legal reprecussion, physical violence, or financial ruin if they quit.

subrosian

So it would be fair to say christiany was a cult by your definition, and only isn't now because it has been socially and politically hobbled?

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
I think of them as I do any other religion, that they're wrong. But I do think, what little I know of it, that Scientology has quite a strange set-up as to how you "progress".btaylor2404
I agree with the first part. I also think they should get rid of scientology.
dallbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 dallbowl
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts

I remember I did a presentation on Scientology a few years ago for one of my classes.

I think it is a load of ****. And they do go to great lenghts to preserve their image or even harass members/exmembers. I think the celebrities dig it because the way you progress in Scientology is by going through lengthy and expensive audits. Nothing like achieving a higher operating level with an expensive ceremony that can only be done on the ocean. :|

Hubbard was a liar, claimed he was a war hero and a nuclear physicist, but was neither. 

Then there's the head of the Glactic Confederacy "Xenu" flying a boeing in space. I would find it more rational if people were to believe in 'the force' and try to become Jedi's.