deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I decided to make this thread to discuss gender equality.

I personally believe that women should not have preordained roles. Their roles in society, like everybody else, should be determined by their qualifiations. What are your views?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

First post!

I agree. People in general have a lot of capabilities to prove their stereotyping wrong. Besides I strongly believe that most of our personality traits, interests and inclines or talents are determined by the way we are brough up, not by genetics.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
I agree, and I've never seen a good argument to the contrary.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

I decided to make this thread to discuss gender equality.

I personally believe that women should not have preordained roles. Their roles in society, like everybody else, should be determined by their qualifiations. What are your views?

Genetic_Code

Gene thank you for making this topic.  It's been discussed over and over in another.  There is no, no (logical, moral, or any-other reason) that any woman can't take a job that she is qualified for.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

First post!

I agree. People in general have a lot of capabilities to prove their stereotyping wrong. Besides I strongly believe that most of our personality traits, interests and inclines or talents are determined by the way we are brough up, not by genetics.

Teenaged
Still though, there is a remarkable difference between the two sexes rather than just the physiological.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

First post!

MetalGear_Ninty

Still though, there is a remarkable difference between the two sexes rather than just the physiological.

Yes, there are differences but some of them are in favour of women. Although I don't have evidence, from the people I know women tend to be more mature at a young age, more clever etc. But that really depends on up-bringing. I think most differences found are a result of up-bringing.

But still, please elaborate so that I can get a clearer picture of what you mean.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
I totally agree with the first two posts of this topic..............and we need some women in here.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

Both genders are equal. Their roles though, are very different. If a Man wanted to take a Woman's position, I would disaprove just as much as I would if a Woman wanted to take a Man's position. It's by no means sexist, I would object both ways. It's obvious to me, both phsycologically, and physically, that men and women were intended for different purposes. It's foolhardy to assume that we can interchange them as we please.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teenaged

Both genders are equal. Their roles though, are very different. If a Man wanted to take a Woman's position, I would disaprove just as much as I would if a Woman wanted to take a Man's position. It's by no means sexist, I would object both ways. It's obvious to me, both phsycologically, and physically, that men and women were intended for different purposes. It's foolhardy to assume that we can interchange them as we please.

Lansdowne5

Depends on which roles you choose to give to each gender. If you desire the woman to stick to her household and children and not get involved in politics then yes you do say they are inferior; but what's worse is that you imply that even if women can do good things in politics and other areas (since you never asnwered to me how women's active role in society has hurt humanity) still they are not entitled to. That is sexism and there's no excuse.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Lansdowne5
My dad is dead and there are a lot of things that he used to take care of but now most of them are upto my mom. Its not that my mom doesnt make mistakes but so did my dad. Its really not about capability, as much as it is about responsibility. I am not saying we should interchange roles. All i am saying is that roles are perfectly interchangeable.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 btaylor2404

Lansdowne5

Lans, I'd trade places in a heartbeat to stay at home with my kids and my wife work. But that's not how it is here. Our children seem to look at us equally.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I think women should have the same opportunities as men have. More women going to work has its consequences, but overall its a good thing.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

In terms of mental capacity, I would have to say men and women are equal. 

What do you all think about raising children though?  Should women always get preference in custody battles, unless proven that she is uncapable?

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 helium_flash

OH yeah.  This MUST be posted!

Women, Know Your Place!

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Teenaged

I don't know if this has been posted already.

woman

cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cowboymonkey21
Member since 2007 • 5297 Posts

Lansdowne5

Why? And please no bible versus. I'd like to hear your reasoning.:)

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

cowboymonkey21

Sorry Lans.  Cowboymonkey: Don't hold your breath on that one.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

cowboymonkey21

The Bible "Versus" what? :P 

My reasoning is synonymous with Scripture. God ordained the roles. What God ordains is right. Going against what God ordains is wrong. 

cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cowboymonkey21
Member since 2007 • 5297 Posts
[QUOTE="cowboymonkey21"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

My reasoning is synonymous with Scripture. God ordained the roles. What God ordains is right. Going against what God ordains is wrong. 

I didn't exactly know what to call em so I just said versus.

What if God wasn't part of the picture? Would you still hold that belief? Also, women and men changing "roles" hasn't had any negative effects. So why has God prohibited it?

Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts
[QUOTE="cowboymonkey21"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

Please, keep your god out of this discussion Lans. While this topic remains in the AU, it does not pretain to religion. This is a discussion on the societal opinions of gender equality.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="cowboymonkey21"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Stryder1212

Please, keep your god out of this discussion Lans. While this topic remains in the AU, it does not pretain to religion. This is a discussion on the societal opinions of gender equality.

But the point here is that for Lans it doesn't matter if there is no actual societal harm out of women's active role (although he says it does harm society, since he never supported it with a logical argument, I'll presume that he is simply wrong). If the Bible's god says so, then it's THE truth for him... :?

I randomly remembered this: Believe and not investigate...

PS: It's something along those words in greek and it has been one of Christianity's dogmatic quotes.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
It isn't prejudice if you can claim it is the will of god.  :roll:  By the way isn't it a shame that we can't have slaves anymore, I mean god obviously designed the lower races to serve the higher ones; it says so in the bible repeatedly.  
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

I agree with the sentiments of the first and second posts, and with the third in that I've also yet to hear a good argument against women's equality. I think it's absolutely sick to say that women shouldn't take positions of leadership or combat roles if they so desire just because of their sex.

Also, how is this different from say, saying that Blacks and Latin Americans should only do blue collar jobs and whites should hold positions of power? Aside from lack of mention in the Bible, of course. This assumes that you'd treat all races with totally equal respect, but just assert that it's only right for whites to be ahead of the rest.

One could also cite the case of Brown v. Board of Education, in which it was decided that separate but equal is inherently inequal. Sure, that's only legally, and then only in the United States, but I believe the concept holds true outside the law as well.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lansdowne5

It isn't prejudice if you can claim it is the will of god.  :roll:  By the way isn't it a shame that we can't have slaves anymore, I mean god obviously designed the lower races to serve the higher ones; it says so in the bible repeatedly.   Sitri_

Chapters and verses, please. :) 

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 helium_flash

One could also cite the case of Brown v. Board of Education, in which it was decided that separate but equal is inherently inequal. 

AlternatingCaps
It is amazing how such a stupid precedent could have been made in the first place :lol:.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5a79221380856

I just remembered how women have better insurance than men because they are better drivers. By previous logic mentioned in this thread, then one conclude that because women are better drivers than men, on average, then only women should be allowed to drive and men should be restricted to using the bus.

Oh, and by that same logic, I'm not being sexist.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Sitri_"]It isn't prejudice if you can claim it is the will of god.  :roll:  By the way isn't it a shame that we can't have slaves anymore, I mean god obviously designed the lower races to serve the higher ones; it says so in the bible repeatedly.   Lansdowne5

Answer to my last post please. :)
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sitri_

[QUOTE="Sitri_"]It isn't prejudice if you can claim it is the will of god.  :roll:  By the way isn't it a shame that we can't have slaves anymore, I mean god obviously designed the lower races to serve the higher ones; it says so in the bible repeatedly.   Lansdowne5

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26710229&union_id=17275&msg_id=309444748#309444748

Awnsered there so it doesn't derail here.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sitri_

I just remembered how women have better insurance than men because they are better drivers. By previous logic mentioned in this thread, then one conclude that because women are better drivers than men, on average, then only women should be allowed to drive and men should be restricted to using the bus.

Genetic_Code

I am aware that women statistically have fewer accidents and tickets but I would speculate it is because women drive less often, not better.  When you see a man and a woman in a car, more often than not it is the man driving so we are given more opportunities to get tickets and accidents. 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

Sitri_

I am aware that women statistically have fewer accidents and tickets but I would speculate it is because women drive less often, not better.  When you see a man and a woman in a car, more often than not it is the man driving so we are given more opportunities to get tickets and accidents. 

I think he said women drive better than men for the same reason he mentions god as "she". Partialy to tease, partially to show the opposite side, me thinks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5a79221380856

I think he said women drive better than men for the same reason he mentions god as "she". Partialy to tease, partially to show the opposite side, me thinks.Teenaged

No, I don't mean it in a religious sense at all. Sorry for the confusion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]I think he said women drive better than men for the same reason he mentions god as "she". Partialy to tease, partially to show the opposite side, me thinks.Genetic_Code

No, I don't mean it in a religious sense at all. Sorry for the confusion.

No I don't mean in a religious manner but to turn the tables. I've seen you say "she" for god in order to go against the norm in some way and you say that women are better drivers to tease (not that we have evidence showing the opposite) the view that says that men are better in driving.