Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Video

I'm always interested at how many atheists convey a sense of hopelessness and uneasiness on their deathbed. What are your thoughts?

xMOBSTER23x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xMOBSTER23x
Member since 2008 • 914 Posts
Why is there a quote by Gandhi?
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
When I think of dying, I just think about what it felt like before I was born. Which I have no recollection or feelings of, so that's how I think it'll be in my death. Not too worried about it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856

Why is there a quote by Gandhi?xMOBSTER23x

That's what I was wondering too, considering that Gandhi wasn't an atheist.

When I think of dying, I just think about what it felt like before I was born. Which I have no recollection or feelings of, so that's how I think it'll be in my death. Not too worried about it.SimpJee

See, that's sort of how I think it might be, although truth be told, I can't claim to know. But it's strange how many atheists seem to convey a sense of hopelessness. I think one of the quotes was that the atheist made it seem as though they had a vision of going to hell (I can't view it again at the current time because my because my browser doesn't have Java).

Alter_Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Alter_Ego
Member since 2002 • 884 Posts
This seems to give some credit to the old saying of "There are no atheists in foxholes."
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts

This seems to give some credit to the old saying of "There are no atheists in foxholes." Alter_Ego

You do know there is an actual organization called "Atheists in Foxholes."

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

Video

I'm always interested at how many atheists convey a sense of hopelessness and uneasiness on their deathbed. What are your thoughts?

Genetic_Code

What about christians realising that they have worshipped the wrong god or that there is no god, that would be worse.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a79221380856

What about christians realising that they have worshipped the wrong god or that there is no god, that would be worse.THUMPTABLE

I've never heard of such a thing to be quite honest.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts
Death is an important matter. I think that death is just the end and it won't be a 'moment' as such because I won't know of feel that I'm dead. The only way to have 'eternal life' is to forever be in the mind of your loved ones. People stopped believing in fairy lands a long time ago why should we still believe in heaven and hell.
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 felixlynch777

This seems to give some credit to the old saying of "There are no atheists in foxholes." Alter_Ego

http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/

Did you know what motto Nazi soldiers had on their belts?

"God punish England'.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

In response to that ridiculous old saying and this equally asinine video.

1. atheistfoxholes.org [EDIT: Just realized this had already been mentioned twice before. Ah well, guess I'm the first one to linkify it.]

2. The claim that hysteria and mortal fear will turn anyone into a Christian doesn't exactly make the religion more credible.

3. Given Christian apologists' long history of strategic quote mining/fabricating, I'm highly cynical of the validity and completeness of these "last words". Did each of these individuals supposedly write these confessions shortly before they died, or were they "reported" by eyewitnesses standing by their bedsides? More likely the products of popular myth than empirical research.

4. There is no doubt in my mind that an atheist who had spent his whole life surrounded by western culture would start to wonder if maybe there was a bit of truth to the religion that had been engraved into the back of his mind for the past several decades. Again, one is not always in a sober state of mind when death is approaching.

5. Anecdotes do not equal Science, for multiple reasons, so unless you're ready to accept every alien abduction story or bigfoot sighting, I wouldn't put too much value in the multi-faceted hearsay of "I saw this video where someone said that a bunch of people said that they had visions/dreams/feelings about going to hell!"

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 STWELCH
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

Video

THUMPTABLE

What about christians realising that they have worshipped the wrong god or that there is no god, that would be worse.

Many christian's do worship the wrong God; they worship the nice little man in the sky who has a great white beard and runs a country club called "Heaven."

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 THUMPTABLE
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

Video

STWELCH

Many christian's do worship the wrong God; they worship the nice little man in the sky who has a great white beard and runs a country club called "Heaven."

I like that one!:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5a79221380856

I like that one!:)THUMPTABLE

I don't mean to call you out, but... aren't you a Christian? I recall seeing you on the Christian Union back when I was a member.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 THUMPTABLE

[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]I like that one!:)Genetic_Code

I don't mean to call you out, but... aren't you a Christian? I recall seeing you on the Christian Union back when I was a member.

No! and i got booted out by Draconis who was living up to his name!!
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]I like that one!:)THUMPTABLE

No! and i got booted out by Draconis who was living up to his name!!

What's the reason for your booting, a little too controversial perhaps?

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 STWELCH
[QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

Video

THUMPTABLE

I like that one!:)

Too bad it dies when life is actually...life.