domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Well, here in New Zealand it's just ticked over to May the 20th which means that it's the first annual "Everybody draw Muhammed day". The title is pretty self-explanatory, to participate you just have to draw a picture of the prophet Muhammed.

Why on earth would you do that though? Isn't it offensive to Muslims? Well yes it is. Surah 21:52-54 warns against worshipping images of Muhammed. The sahih Bukhari, volume 9 book 93 numbers 646-648 say that people who paint living things will be punished on the day of resurrection for trying to mimic what Allah had created. The Sahih Muslim, book 24 number 5272 says again that the painters of pictures will be tormented on the day of resurrection and that while they are in hell their pictures will come to life and punish them.

So essentially Muslims are so against the idea of depicting Muhammed because a representation of someone undercuts the idea that Allah is the creator of all and that Muhammed is his true prophet. A picture of someone is not the real thing, just a worthless simulacrum that can only serve to take away from the authentic original. So since these pictures fall so short they shouldn't be drawn at all and a Muslim takes offence when they are.

If you're having a hard time understanding that think of the way that Catholics use images of Mary etc to worship. This is just the sort of thing that these verses are presumably warning us about.

So now that we've established that many Muslims do not like people drawing Muhammed and why this is so, we have a conundrum. Should I participate in "Everybody draw Muhammed day"? Ultimately it's up to you but I personally will be for the following reasons:

1- I am not a Muslim. This particular prescription is found only in the Islamic faith and it seems only relevant to people who don't want to risk becoming an idolater. This line of reasoning simply isn't applicable to me and so I feel happy to disregard it. The only part of this that is morally applicable to me is that I will no doubt annoy a few Muslims if there happen to be a few who read this topic. That's regrettable but I wont spare their feelings when it's over something so trivial. I would put the image in spoiler tags but I'm such a noob that I can't do that without getting html errors.

2- I understand the difference between a picture of a person and a person. This is what the problem with drawing Muhammed is all about right? People place too much importance on the image and forget about who it represents. Well I don't have this issue.

3- In the last decade radical Muslims have responded disproportionately to people who have drawn Muhammed. They've made threats, held up signs on par with the Westboro Baptist church and just generally acted rather bloodthirsty. This kind of response just isn't appropriate and so actively drawing Muhammed works as a sort of protest against it. That's what "Everyone draw Muhammed day" is all about.

So then here's my picture of Muhammed. I've also added in a picture of a busty woman carrying a whip. If I'm going to be punished in hell by these pictures I might as well make the most of it.

If you don't want to see it then close your eyes and scroll down a bit.

Muhammed 

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I once joked around with a friend about drawing a picture.  His response was repeatedly saying "that's horrible" with a rather nervous laugh.  Of the concepts I have come up with, offensive very much characterizes them and thus I shall refrain from describing them to you for the sake of my gamespot account. 

I do not like to make a habit of offending people so I'll have to decline the offer to show the pictures.  Besides, I am not a fan of openly betraying another person's moral code where they might notice it (regardless as to whether or not I agree with it).  There are exceptions with all of this, it just happens to only ever be with a certain strain of Christianity.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
To do spoiler tags: Put the word "spoiler" before what you want to hide, and then put "/spoiler" right after. Replace the " " with the [ ] brackets you can find up in the right by the P on US keyboards. :) [spoiler] Like this :) [/spoiler] I probably won't participate, partly because I'm not in New Zealand (yay, easy cop-out), partly because I really can't draw at all, and partly because I'm not sure I agree with the notion. On one hand I absolutely think that the extreme over-reactions you're describing are wrong and need to be protested, but on the other, I also think that a person has a right to object when they see something that offends their faith. Out of respect for the latter I will not be drawing pictures of Mohamed, but out of disgust for the former, I'll support you silently from way over here. :)
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
Reason.com is doing this too
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domatron23

To do spoiler tags: Put the word "spoiler" before what you want to hide, and then put "/spoiler" right after. Replace the " " with the [ ] brackets you can find up in the right by the P on US keyboards. :)ChiliDragon

Yeah I know and I can put text in spoilers without trouble. As soon as I plonked Muhammed in there though Gamespot just couldn't handle it.

Actually I tried to post this comment just now and your spoiler gave me an html error. Gamespot just hates me that's all.

I probably won't participate, partly because I'm not in New Zealand (yay, easy cop-out), partly because I really can't draw at all, and partly because I'm not sure I agree with the notion. On one hand I absolutely think that the extreme over-reactions you're describing are wrong and need to be protested, but on the other, I also think that a person has a right to object when they see something that offends their faith. Out of respect for the latter I will not be drawing pictures of Mohamed, but out of disgust for the former, I'll support you silently from way over here. :)ChiliDragon

Fair enough. I don't blame anyone for choosing to not participate. Perhaps blasphemy comes easier to atheists.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiliDragon
Yeah I know and I can put text in spoilers without trouble. As soon as I plonked Muhammed in there though Gamespot just couldn't handle it. domatron23
That's weird, though it makes sense... the spoiler tag used to have huge problems with smiles and hyper links as well.

Fair enough. I don't blame anyone for choosing to not participate. Perhaps blasphemy comes easier to atheists.

domatron23
Perhaps. My decision is in part at least based on the fact I wouldn't want anyone to deliberately do something that offended my faith (though I'm not entirely sure what that would be). I spread the word though. Some of my coworkers were doodling pictures of Muhammed on their note pads this afternoon. :)
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

My Gran has always been superstitious about magpies. Seriously, ever since I can remember she's gone through a silly routine involving a little mantra, spitting into the palm of her hand and then waving, every time she's seen one. It's ludicrous and it used to drive me up the wall to see an elderly woman behaving so childishly out of some unfounded belief.

Now, I'm sure she'd go absolutely nuts if I released a magpie into her room while she was asleep. Still, funny as it might be, it wouldn't rid her of her superstition and (beyond the laughs) it wouldn't achieve much for me. If I ever reach a situation in my life where I need to release a magpie indoors or should I need to draw a picture of Mohammed, I'll go ahead and do it, but I can't think of a reason I'd need to other than to piss someone else off.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 domatron23

My Gran has always been superstitious about magpies. Seriously, ever since I can remember she's gone through a silly routine involving a little mantra, spitting into the palm of her hand and then waving, every time she's seen one. It's ludicrous and it used to drive me up the wall to see an elderly woman behaving so childishly out of some unfounded belief.

Now, I'm sure she'd go absolutely nuts if I released a magpie into her room while she was asleep. Still, funny as it might be, it wouldn't rid her of her superstition and (beyond the laughs) it wouldn't achieve much for me. If I ever reach a situation in my life where I need to release a magpie indoors or should I need to draw a picture of Mohammed, I'll go ahead and do it, but I can't think of a reason I'd need to other than to piss someone else off.

jimmyjammer69

The difference being of course, that your Gran (presumably) doesn't threaten to decapitate members of the local bird watching club.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Good. I'm proud of this movement. I hate Islam with all my heart and soul, although I have a soft spot for attractive Muslim women.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

domatron23

The difference being of course, that your Gran (presumably) doesn't threaten to decapitate members of the local bird watching club.

I don't know... my gran has done some crazy things. :P

Personally, I'd expect death threats from PETA if I drew pictures of dogs being tortured, but I can't think why I'd ever need to do that. You have always had every right and legal freedom to draw Mohammed... but why bother?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
this won't end well :P
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#12 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Why did this have to happen?

You know what's happened in pakistan? They have banned facebook, youtube, google and they are banning many proxy sites as well.:(

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon

You know what's happened in pakistan? They have banned facebook, youtube, google and they are banning many proxy sites as well.:(

Gambler_3
Because of the New Zealand protest? Wow, that *****. Sorry to hear that :(
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Gambler_3

How is it offensive to draw a picture of Mohammed? It's not like we're drawing a picture of Mary aborting Jesus. Oh right. It's religion. It doesn't need to make logical sense. :roll:

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 domatron23

Gambler_3

Actually you're the first person that I thought of when I heard that Pakistan had banned a bunch of websites. I'm really sorry man that totally sucks for you. Out of interest have they blocked access to this site as well? At least you can still visit gamespot I suppose.

Because of the New Zealand protest?ChiliDragon

Draw Muhammed day is an international thing, it's certainly not localized to New Zealand.

How is it offensive to draw a picture of Mohammed?

Genetic_Code

Like I said in the OP it undercuts Allah's creatorship and Muhammed's role as the true prophet.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChiliDragon
Draw Muhammed day is an international thing, it's certainly not localized to New Zealand.domatron23
I didn't know that, but that makes more sense. This irritates me. My co-workers, and anyone else outside Pakistan who participated, are completely unaffected by this, while Gambler didn't participate in the protest in any way, but he's the one who ends up suffering as a result. It strikes me as extremely unfair to punish a large number of people who had nothing to do with the drawings.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Why should Muslims care? It's only forbidden for Muslims to draw pictures of Muhammad.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
How would I know what to draw the picture like? I've not seen a picture of him! That'd just be mocking, though hey it is mocking a ridiculous notion of worshiping images by just drawing one.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23

How would I know what to draw the picture like? I've not seen a picture of him! That'd just be mocking, though hey it is mocking a ridiculous notion of worshiping images by just drawing one.SimpJee

Well you'd draw it as per the description in the Kitabh al-Tabaqat al-Kabir like I've done.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Why should Muslims care? It's only forbidden for Muslims to draw pictures of Muhammad.

ghoklebutter

Good question.

But they do....

Alot!

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

[QUOTE="SimpJee"]How would I know what to draw the picture like? I've not seen a picture of him! That'd just be mocking, though hey it is mocking a ridiculous notion of worshiping images by just drawing one.domatron23

Well you'd draw it as per the description in the Kitabh al-Tabaqat al-Kabir like I've done.

I'm all for mocking the religious, but when they have terrorists running amok everywhere.  You've got some balls :lol:Â