AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

Here's a simple little way of seeing where our union sits as far as faith goes. How would you rate yourself and why?

I'd say I'm a 2. I'd describe myself as an atheist, but I believe some things are just impossible to know. There are also a lot of unexplainable events and such, and while I'm no god-of-the-gaps-er, I'm not one to totally discount a possibility. On the other hand, I see no evidence that would indicate the existence of a god, nor any reason to believe in one. To sum it up, my stance is "I don't see any reason/evidence for belief, so there probably isn't a god." As far as the afterlife goes, we'll wait and see; more than anything, I just don't care.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
The "2" option fits me best, but I'd describe myself as an apatheist.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I'm at a 1. I'm 100% convinced that gods don't exist. Every definition of a personal god is flawed, as evident by the many religions. Every attempt to redefine god to be a collective body of the universe is a definition of which I deem unnecessary. 

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
4 is closest to the way I think, I suppose.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Oh boy, I have this urge to re-post my thread that I posted on OT the other day, but I won't do that to you guys :P

Anyways, none of those options describe my beliefs accurately.  

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Proud 5! :)

I'm at a 1. I'm 100% convinced that gods don't exist. Every definition of a personal god is flawed, as evident by the many religions. Every attempt to redefine god to be a collective body of the universe is a definition of which I deem unnecessary. 

Genetic_Code
Um... I don't understand this reasoning. I hear over and over, from scientists of all cultures and languages, that when the neutrino was first discovered no one was quite sure what they were and how they worked, exactly. But delighted with discovering something new and unknown, these scientists readily accepted the possibility of neutrinos, and attempted to study them and learn about them, rather than assuming that since this can't be explained and defined, it must be a mistake. Still, it seems to me that what you're saying is that if humans are unable to define something, that means that said something can't exist. As an argument that doesn't make sense to me, so I'd like to see this elaborated on a little bit, if you don't mind? :)
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Sun_Tzu-

Um... I don't understand this reasoning. I hear over and over, from scientists of all cultures and languages, that when the neutrino was first discovered no one was quite sure what they were and how they worked, exactly. But delighted with discovering something new and unknown, these scientists readily accepted the possibility of neutrinos, and attempted to study them and learn about them, rather than assuming that since this can't be explained and defined, it must be a mistake.ChiliDragon

But they knew it was material, seeing as it was present in the material world. That provides a justification for neutrinos being something rather than nothing, and you can then go from there and do some good ole' scientific inquiry. 

Still, it seems to me that what you're saying is that if humans are unable to define something, that means that said something can't exist. As an argument that doesn't make sense to me, so I'd like to see this elaborated on a little bit, if you don't mind? :)ChiliDragon

Well, I personally think Genetic is being a little to rash. But what I think what he's getting at is that since there isn't a coherent definition of a personal God, a personal God doesn't exist. I don't exactly agree with him on that, although I think that's what he's getting at. 

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I'd say a 2, just because I can't go 100% God does not exist, more like 99.5%.  I've been an Atheist for 15 years or so, and nothing has come close to changing my mind.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiliDragon
But they knew it was material, seeing as it was present in the material world. That provides a justification for neutrinos being something rather than nothing, and you can then go from there and do some good ole' scientific inquiry. -Sun_Tzu-
True, and I realize the neutrino is not the best example I could think of. I was trying to avoid the "but no one can define love either but we know it exists!"-cliche that has been over-done to death. ;)
Well, I personally think Genetic is being a little to rash. But what I think what he's getting at is that since there isn't a coherent definition of a personal God, a personal God doesn't exist. I don't exactly agree with him on that, although I think that's what he's getting at.-Sun_Tzu-
Ah, okay. That makes a bit more sense... I guess my question is, how is something's existence affected by whether it can be defined or not? Seriously not trying to be facetious here. GC and I are on the complete opposite sides of the scale, I'm curious to hear the reasoning.
Dr_AlanGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
2. I'd say I'm really close to 1 though but I can't say 100%.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Sun_Tzu-

True, and I realize the neutrino is not the best example I could think of. I was trying to avoid the "but no one can define love either but we know it exists!"-cliche that has been over-done to death. ;)ChiliDragon

Love really isn't all that difficult to define either. It can be easily defined as nothing more than an emotional state that is created by thoughts, neurons, hormones, ect. 

Ah, okay. That makes a bit more sense... I guess my question is, how is something's existence affected by whether it can be defined or not? Seriously not trying to be facetious here. GC and I are on the complete opposite sides of the scale, I'm curious to hear the reasoning.ChiliDragon

Well, only GC is going to be able to adequately answer that, 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiliDragon

True, and I realize the neutrino is not the best example I could think of. I was trying to avoid the "but no one can define love either but we know it exists!"-cliche that has been over-done to death. ;)-Sun_Tzu-

Love really isn't all that difficult to define either. It can be easily defined as nothing more than an emotional state that is created by thoughts, neurons, hormones, ect. 

Difficult or not (and I greatly disagree with you, by the way ;) ), it has still been done to death! :P
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
3. I have some alternative views on what 'god' is though so depending on what you mean by god it could be a 2 or 4 as well.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Gah I dont know!

I would pick no 4 but whenever I hear god/gods my mind goes to the already existing depictions of god which I find invalid.

In the question: "Is there a god?"

I'd probably answer: "Why not?"

Quite a diplomat right? :P

Not really, though, I just dont exclude any possibilities as I know that speaking from a standpoint of knowledge I know nothing for sure.

Impulsively of course I lean more to theism, meaning that there is some sort of godly power/force etc that exists.

But to sum it up: I-DONT-KNOW. >_>

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
I'm going to go for a 2, since it seems to best suit my assumption that God doesn't exist.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
I went for #2. #1 was tempting, but it would be a little pretentious of me to say that I am 100% sure that there is no god. :P
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I voted for No. 2 -- you can be only 100% sure of very few things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5a79221380856

Still, it seems to me that what you're saying is that if humans are unable to define something, that means that said something can't exist. As an argument that doesn't make sense to me, so I'd like to see this elaborated on a little bit, if you don't mind? :)ChiliDragon

Humans have given definitions of god, but because it (god) is unfalsifiable, their account of events must be perfect to be believed. There is no perfect account of god; therefore there is no god.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChiliDragon

Humans have given definitions of god, but because it (god) is unfalsifiable, their account of events must be perfect to be believed. There is no perfect account of god; therefore there is no god.

Genetic_Code
Because if there was one, we humans would automatically be able to completely understand and accurately describe her/him/it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a79221380856

Because if there was one, we humans would automatically be able to completely understand and accurately describe her/him/it?ChiliDragon

Even if there was only one account, that wouldn't mean that that account is without error. However, I do think that if there was universal evidence of a god, that was falsifiable, then I would immediately place some skepticism on my atheism. 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Because if there was one, we humans would automatically be able to completely understand and accurately describe her/him/it?Genetic_Code

Even if there was only one account, that wouldn't mean that that account is without error. However, I do think that if there was universal evidence of a god, that was falsifiable, then I would immediately place some skepticism on my atheism. 

My bad... with "even if there was one" I meant "even if there was a god". I think were we disagree is that I don't think human inability to agree on what or who that god is has any bearing on said being's existence, but it sounds as if that's what you're saying. (I'm also not sure how one would go about verifying whether an account of God/god/ is correct or not.) So it's entirely possible that at least half of my confusion is because I've misunderstood what you're saying. :)
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
Even Richard Dawkins has lebelled himself as #2. Basically no one can be sure God doesn't exist because that would entitle a belief. Beliefs don't have any ground in the natural world. (At least this type of belief) Taking it even further atheists usually need 'proof' of epistomological evidence. There is not any for God nor against Him. A wise person would say they do not know because there are no grounds for either.
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
Proud 5! :) [QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

ChiliDragon

Um... I don't understand this reasoning. I hear over and over, from scientists of all cultures and languages, that when the neutrino was first discovered no one was quite sure what they were and how they worked, exactly. But delighted with discovering something new and unknown, these scientists readily accepted the possibility of neutrinos, and attempted to study them and learn about them, rather than assuming that since this can't be explained and defined, it must be a mistake. Still, it seems to me that what you're saying is that if humans are unable to define something, that means that said something can't exist. As an argument that doesn't make sense to me, so I'd like to see this elaborated on a little bit, if you don't mind? :)

How could you be no 5 with your comment in the Doubts topic?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiliDragon

THUMPTABLE
I am absolutely, 100% certain that there is a deity out there. What I doubt is my understanding of that being, its/his/her wishes and desires, what the nature of that being is, and whether it will ever actually make sense to me. But I remain convinced that a god/God exists, mainly because that makes more sense of the world to me than if the opposite was true. I would never be so presumptions as to claim to know all about that deity, or is/her/its nature, and that's where doubt comes in. My doubt is not and never have been about the existence of a god. They are about the nature of that god and how (and sometimes if) he or she interacts with this world and the people in it... and why. If there is a loving and caring god, why did two commercial planes filled with passengers crash into the Twin Towers in early September a few years ago, killing all those good, loved and loving people who died in that horrible event? I don't know... and I truly wish I did. So as for your question about my comments in the doubt thread: I doubt a lot of things. Constantly, and I struggle with all of them. But not whether there is a god. Whether that matters... yes, I've doubted and debated that.
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]

ChiliDragon

I am absolutely, 100% certain that there is a deity out there. What I doubt is my understanding of that being, its/his/her wishes and desires, what the nature of that being is, and whether it will ever actually make sense to me. But I remain convinced that a god/God exists, mainly because that makes more sense of the world to me than if the opposite was true. I would never be so presumptions as to claim to know all about that deity, or is/her/its nature, and that's where doubt comes in. My doubt is not and never have been about the existence of a god. They are about the nature of that god and how (and sometimes if) he or she interacts with this world and the people in it... and why. If there is a loving and caring god, why did two commercial planes filled with passengers crash into the Twin Towers in early September a few years ago, killing all those good, loved and loving people who died in that horrible event? I don't know... and I truly wish I did. So as for your question about my comments in the doubt thread: I doubt a lot of things. Constantly, and I struggle with all of them. But not whether there is a god. Whether that matters... yes, I've doubted and debated that.

No worries mate, can i ask how you have become 100% certain that there is a deity?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Somewhere in between 1 and 2. "100% sure" isn't appropriate because I'm not really 100% sure of anything let alone God. "Leaning towards" disbelief isn't really appropriate either but that's the option I chose.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon

No worries mate, can i ask how you have become 100% certain that there is a deity?

THUMPTABLE
I'm honestly not entirely sure... it took a lot of thinking, over several years, to get to that point. The easiest way of saying it now is that it makes more sense to me that there is one than that there is not. I'll try and give you the over-simplified cliff notes version: The notion that humans can understand and learn about everything that exists is a bizarre one to me. I just don't have a high enough opinion of our collective cognitive abilities as a species to accept that notion. :P Once I'd accepted that there are lots of things that we can't understand, supernatural phenomena and beings among them, I think one thing more or less led to another... to the eventually inevitable conclusion that if people of all times, places and cultures, despite their diverse differences, arrived at a belief that there is a deity (or several), then the simple fact that all cultures and eras have agreed on at least that one single thing suggests that there might actually be one. It's the only thing that every culture anywhere from any time on this planet has in common--the idea that there are higher beings with higher powers and abilities. It seems far more likely that there is a reason for this than for it to just be coincidence. Now, of course all cultures and eras disagree on the nature of that deity, how many there are, and how to worship them/it, but frankly, to me the support the idea that he/she/it exists. The deity in question is supposed to be considerable greater and more complex than we are. If my cat can't understand how a cell phone works and what it is, how can I expect humans to fully understand what and who god/God is, given that I'm assuming the difference between this deity and me is nearly infinitely greater than the difference between me and my cat?
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Between 1 and 2. Closer to 1 than "leaning towards", but obviously nobody, on either side, is 100% sure. I'll vote 2.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Once I'd accepted that there are lots of things that we can't understand, supernatural phenomena and beings among them, I think one thing more or less led to another... to the eventually inevitable conclusion that if people of all times, places and cultures, despite their diverse differences, arrived at a belief that there is a deity (or several), then the simple fact that all cultures and eras have agreed on at least that one single thing suggests that there might actually be one. It's the only thing that every culture anywhere from any time on this planet has in common--the idea that there are higher beings with higher powers and abilities. It seems far more likely that there is a reason for this than for it to just be coincidence. Now, of course all cultures and eras disagree on the nature of that deity, how many there are, and how to worship them/it, but frankly, to me the support the idea that he/she/it exists. The deity in question is supposed to be considerable greater and more complex than we are. If my cat can't understand how a cell phone works and what it is, how can I expect humans to fully understand what and who god/God is, given that I'm assuming the difference between this deity and me is nearly infinitely greater than the difference between me and my cat?ChiliDragon

It seems to me that one could easily argue that for the most part these deities were just temporary things to fill gaps in knowledge that are now getting more official answers through science. Questions like "why is there thunder?", or "why do we die?", or "why do people do bad things?", and so on were all met with the similar answer of "well, because of deity X, duh!" As such, I think it could be argued that any higher power used in such a context is more just evidence of the combination of human ignorance and the human desire to have answers where there are none, not evidence of the actual existence of such a deity. Humans don't like being unable to understand something, and when you have no natural explanation, then "some guy out there did it" is the only explanationyou can give.

Now, if everyone on the planet arrived at the belief in a deity that could still exist even if science gave a natural explanation of every single phenomena we know of, then I would agree with you, but at long as these deities are used to answer questions about the universe, I can't say I feel that your conclusion is the one that needs the least number of assumptions.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChiliDragon

Now, if everyone on the planet arrived at the belief in a deity that could still exist even if science gave a natural explanation of every single phenomena we know of, then I would agree with you, but at long as these deities are used to answer questions about the universe, I can't say I feel that your conclusion is the one that needs the least number of assumptions.

GabuEx
Granted, and as I said before I did leave out a lot of my thinking. It took me a large number of years to arrive at this conclusion. I don't necessarily care to eliminate as many assumptions as possible though... the number of assumptions matters less to me than the nature of them and whether they made sense to me and still do. Since they do, I feel confident in my conclusion. Of course, it will only make perfect sense if you agree with all the assumptions it is based on, which I'm not asking anyone to do. I'm happy with my conclusion and assumptions that make perfect sense to me, they don't need to make sense to anyone else. ;)
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

First off, I don't think it's possible to know anything 100%.  I still chose #5 because the degree I believe God exists is the same degree I believe anything else about reality.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

Reformed epistemology FTW!

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I chose 2. I don't think many people could absolutely rule out the possibility/impossibility of god existing.