deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
THE CATEGORICAL IMPERATIVE: We should consider the inverse of the consequences of our actions as if they were projected upon all of society. ex. Instead of "Nobody should steal," it would be "Everybody should steal." THE LAYMAN'S MORALITY: "Moral" = doing what other people want you to do. This never made any sense to me, and it creates a paradox: if you don't want to do what other people tell you to do, they should also respect your wishes -- which nullifies both?
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Funnily enough, I did an ethics exam today, and one of the questions I chose to do was Kantian ethics. Thanks TC.

I think the categorical imperative in general is just far too rigid to be considered as a good ethical system. Have you came across Kant's own example; imagine the following scenario: You are going for a gentle stroll, suddenly you see a frightened man run past you, almost immediately after, a man with a knife approaches you asking for the where the first man was heading. According to Kant, you should tell him the truth, as otherwise you be violating the first maxim of the categorcial imperative i.e only commit an act if you would wish such an act to be universalised.

That is simply not right. Kant relies on an idealist view of humanity, in which all people are completely autonomous, rational moral agents -- who will reason correctly at all times. This is sheer idealism on Kant's part.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Bleah I don't like Kant's system of ethics at all. The golden rule is hardly perfect but it's simple enough to work fairly effectively. So I would go for Layman's Morality.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I think the categorical imperative in general is just far too rigid to be considered as a good ethical system. Have you came across Kant's own example; imagine the following scenario: You are going for a gentle stroll, suddenly you see a frightened man run past you, almost immediately after, a man with a knife approaches you asking for the where the first man was heading. According to Kant, you should tell him the truth, as otherwise you be violating the first maxim of the categorcial imperative i.e only commit an act if you would wish such an act to be universalised.

MetalGear_Ninty

Why on Earth would Kant's system of ethics compel you to tell him the truth? Surely one would agree that the world would be better if no one aided one who wished to murder, thus making it completely in accordance with his system not to do so. That one is unable to effectively apply someone's system of ethics does not make them bad if properly understood. :P

Bleah I don't like Kant's system of ethics at all. The golden rule is hardly perfect but it's simple enough to work fairly effectively.domatron23

It seems to me that Kant's system of ethics is very much like the golden rule, really. It effectively says that one should only do that which would improve the world if everyone did it - in other words, do what you believe others should do, and do not do what you believe others should not do, nearly exactly as the golden rule says.

I subscribe quite strongly to Kant's system, myself. I think people misunderstand it by attempting to make it too broad. Kant was quite clear that the circumstances matter - it is simply the case that if one acts in such a way in a given set of circumstances, then one ought to believe that everyone ought to act in the same way in the same set of circumstances, and if that is not the case, then one ought not to act in that way.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domatron23

It effectively says that one should only do that which would improve the world if everyone did it

GabuEx

That sounds more like Indirect utilitarianism than Kant's categorical imperative. Deontological systems of morality have nothing to do with improving the world.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GabuEx

That sounds more like Indirect utilitarianism than Kant's categorical imperative. Deontological systems of morality have nothing to do with improving the world.domatron23

Well, Kant's system says that one should not do what one would not believe everyone should do, and I can't imagine any other reason why one would believe everyone should do something if they did not believe it brought with it a benefit, but yes, technically you're right that that's a jump not present in Kant's system of ethics.

But that doesn't really change the remainder of what I said, though.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]That sounds more like Indirect utilitarianism than Kant's categorical imperative. Deontological systems of morality have nothing to do with improving the world.GabuEx

Well, Kant's system says that one should not do what one would not believe everyone should do, and I can't imagine any other reason why one would believe everyone should do something if they did not believe it brought with it a benefit, but yes, technically you're right that that's a jump not present in Kant's system of ethics.

But that doesn't really change the remainder of what I said, though.

This is specifically what Kant said: "I ought never to act in such a way that I could not also will that my maxim should become a universal law".

Kant's system requires universality which is far too rigid and inflexible like MgN said. I guess though if you're going to be hyper-specific with Kant's system then it would kinda work except that now you have an infinite number of categorical imperatives.

On a different note i'm not so sure that rationality alone can produce appropriate categorical imperatives. We all know that HAL from 2001 a space odyssey kind of dropped the ball on that even though he was very rational.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GabuEx

This is specifically what Kant said: "I ought never to act in such a way that I could not also will that my maxim should become a universal law".

Kant's system requires universality which is far too rigid and inflexible like MgN said. I guess though if you're going to be hyper-specific with Kant's system then it would kinda work except that now you have an infinite number of categorical imperatives.

domatron23

Like I said, what he meant by that is not that we ought to operate under absurdly simplified rules, like "never steal" or "always tell the truth" or whatnot. What he's really arguing against, at least as I understand it, is hypocrisy and people special-casing themselves - if one would not want to be on the receiving end of an action, then one ought also not be on the doing end of that action, as that would be in violation of the idea that everything you do should be something you feel everyone should do.

On a different note i'm not so sure that rationality alone can produce appropriate categorical imperatives. We all know that HAL from 2001 a space odyssey kind of dropped the ball on that even though he was very rational.

domatron23

Well yes, that's an entirely different question, but I think it would torpedo a lot more than Kant's system of ethics if it were impossible to define categorical imperatives.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

GabuEx

Like I said, what he meant by that is not that we ought to operate under absurdly simplified rules, like "never steal" or "always tell the truth" or whatnot. What he's really arguing against, at least as I understand it, is hypocrisy and people special-casing themselves - if one would not want to be on the receiving end of an action, then one ought also not be on the doing end of that action, as that would be in violation of the idea that everything you do should be something you feel everyone should do.

Surely there are special cases though. What about frequency dependent where it is rational for some to do X and others to do Y but irrational for all to do X or Y?

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

GabuEx

Why on Earth would Kant's system of ethics compel you to tell him the truth? Surely one would agree that the world would be better if no one aided one who wished to murder, thus making it completely in accordance with his system not to do so. That one is unable to effectively apply someone's system of ethics does not make them bad if properly understood. :P

Firstly, I forgot to mention last time but this only applies to situations where a yes or no type response is unavoidable. I'll just say that that example is straight from the horses's mouth i.e. Kant made that example up himself to show how commited he was to the deontological and absolutist nature of The categorical imperative. The first maxim of the categorical imperative, states that you should only commit an action, if you would wish it to be universalised. Kant said that if lying were universalised than this would be very bad, as no one would be able to trust each other, whilst lying is also a deception of the rational mind. In the case of telling the truth, this does not violate the first maxim, as if universalised people would still remain honest, and only a few people would die. Also, Kant says that the person who did not lie has no responsibilty for the death of the man, whereas he would have if lying caused misfortune.

I think I understand the categorical imperative extremely well, which evidently cannot be said for some people. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
Gabu, are you saying that Kant was essentially advocating the Golden Rule beneath a few reducto ad absurdum examples?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx
In looking it up, it does appear to be the case that Kant seemed to make his "universal rules" broader and with less concern for context than I would have done, but I do believe that it nonetheless does quite strongly resemble the golden rule.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I think the categorical imperative in general is just far too rigid to be considered as a good ethical system. Have you came across Kant's own example; imagine the following scenario: You are going for a gentle stroll, suddenly you see a frightened man run past you, almost immediately after, a man with a knife approaches you asking for the where the first man was heading.MetalGear_Ninty
That needs to be qualified... is the frightened man my husband, or is it Charles Manson? If the first case, it is my desire that all wives all over the world support and help their husbands at all times, in every way, so therefor I will lie to the man with the knife. Not because I want lying to be made a universal law, but because I want "you and me against the world, til death do us part" to be made a universal law. In the second case, it is my desire that sociopathic mass murderers are stopped from murdering, so I will tell the truth. Not because I want truthfulness to be made universal law, but because I want a sense of social responsibility to be made universal law. Adamant truthfulness at all times, without considering circumstances and context, would by the way be disastrous. I'm sure we have all been in a situation where we lied simply because the truth the worse option... Not all truths should be told.