domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Well most atheists that I know will tell you that hell doesn't exist. I'm not really sure that you'll get any differing opinions from the atheists here. Whether or not suicidals go to hell is more of a theological question.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I don't believe in hell either.  Even when I was a Christian, hell was a bit of a stretch for me.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Even when I was a Christian, hell was a bit of a stretch for me. btaylor2404

Well, anyone who's read my arguments with certain individuals on OT will know what I'd say in response to that. :P

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

Sometimes people just deserve to die and that can be from sucidals so they can go to heaven or hell if they did good of course heaven if they did bad then hell. I don't believe in this stuff but that would a true person part of christinaty would say.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
If there is a hell, then most people who have committed suicide probably belong there. The act itself is almost always selfish. One thing that bugs me is how atheists are more likely to commit suicide.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
If there is a hell, then most people who have committed suicide probably belong there. The act itself is almost always selfish. One thing that bugs me is how atheists are more likely to commit suicide.Genetic_Code
People's motives for suicide vary. Some suicidees are mentally ill, in physical pain, etc. We should feel sorry for them. Humans may depend on each other to survive, but sometimes survival IS hell. I'm not encouraging suicide, but in rare circumstances it's understandable, and if you want to be pragmatic, the victims typically aren't the sort who were contributing much to society anyway (that's a cold thing to say, but it's just a counter-point to the whole "selfishness" argument).
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

every religious people say that.

warrenmats
Probably because most Christian churches see murder as grave sin, and the fact you chose to kill yourself rather than anyone else is a secondary consideration of pretty low importance. Take a life, you sinned, and sinners go to Hell. Logical, right? My personal beliefs are a bit different. Plus, I more or less share Gabu's views on Hell, so suicide or murder, it don't think it will be for eternity.
warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 warrenmats
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

Its because some people that are really nice commit suicide sometimes.

my classmates dad commited suicide, and i dont think his dad went to hell

i belive his dad went to heaven, since he was really nice

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GabuEx

warrenmats

You're an atheist, but you believe in heaven and hell?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 domatron23
[QUOTE="warrenmats"]

GabuEx

Huh yeah something is fishy here. Maybe he meant "hypothetically if the Christian God existed my friend's dad would have gone to hell".

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="warrenmats"]

GabuEx

Heh. It's theoretically possible, I suppose.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx

Heh. It's theoretically possible, I suppose.Funky_Llama

Oh, I'm not asking that in an accusatory fashion; I'm honestly curious.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 domatron23

Heh. It's theoretically possible, I suppose.Funky_Llama

Indeed it is. Although if we define heaven as "with God" and hell "without God" then it is impossible.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

warrenmats
I thought you were an atheist dude. Why do you believe in heaven or hell?
warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#16 warrenmats
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts
[QUOTE="warrenmats"]

SSBFan12

I thought you were an atheist dude. Why do you believe in heaven or hell?

i was trying to say that if hell and heaen exsisted.

yes i am atheist

i dont belive in hell or heaven, since i belive if god even exsisted, he wont send any of us to hell

if hell exsisted

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

every religious people say that.

I wanna hear words from my fellow atheists

warrenmats

Being a Christian, I'm not completely sure if all who commit suicide go to hell...  One example, a bi-polar pastor who at least appears to genuinely love God commits suicide after switching medication.  Also, I'm not under the theological conviction that one can loose his salvation.  Granted, if a person is genuinely saved then I think there is an extremely small chance for suicide.

rising141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rising141
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]If there is a hell, then most people who have committed suicide probably belong there. The act itself is almost always selfish. One thing that bugs me is how atheists are more likely to commit suicide.Elraptor
People's motives for suicide vary. Some suicidees are mentally ill, in physical pain, etc. We should feel sorry for them. Humans may depend on each other to survive, but sometimes survival IS hell. I'm not encouraging suicide, but in rare circumstances it's understandable, and if you want to be pragmatic, the victims typically aren't the sort who were contributing much to society anyway (that's a cold thing to say, but it's just a counter-point to the whole "selfishness" argument).

how does have to do with suicide? you can be contributing to society and commit suicide right?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23

[QUOTE="Elraptor"][QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]If there is a hell, then most people who have committed suicide probably belong there. The act itself is almost always selfish. One thing that bugs me is how atheists are more likely to commit suicide.rising141

how does have to do with suicide? you can be contributing to society and commit suicide right?

You definitely can be a contributing member of society and a suicidee at the same time, yes. I think Elraptor's point though was that the people most likely to commit suicide are those who aren't contributing to society (the mentally ill, the physically infirm and disabled etc).

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
I don't believe in heaven or hell. I do not think people who commit suicide should then be seen as "sinners" who end up in hell. A lot of sucides happen when people are depressed. Depression is a terrible thing that can make sucidide seem like a logical option at the time. People who have never been depressed before cannot understand how bad it feels and why someone could consider suicide. I think for most people suicide is a bad choice because they do it for trivial reasons or from only suffering in the short term. However, if someone was clinically depressed and did it I think it is messed up to claim they are now going to suffer for eternity. Also, if someone thinks about it seriously for a long time and comes to the conclusion that they want to I think it is their right to make that decision.
kellymae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 kellymae
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts

I don't believe in heaven or hell. I do not think people who commit suicide should then be seen as "sinners" who end up in hell. A lot of sucides happen when people are depressed. Depression is a terrible thing that can make sucidide seem like a logical option at the time. People who have never been depressed before cannot understand how bad it feels and why someone could consider suicide. I think for most people suicide is a bad choice because they do it for trivial reasons or from only suffering in the short term. However, if someone was clinically depressed and did it I think it is messed up to claim they are now going to suffer for eternity. Also, if someone thinks about it seriously for a long time and comes to the conclusion that they want to I think it is their right to make that decision.lazyhoboguy

Scott has a point about depression. My older Brother committed suicide several years ago. He was a brilliant artist who had sold paintings to some very influential people. He had just signed a contract to do a book cover for a writer you would all know if I said the name. He did a lot of volunteer stuff for at risk youth. He lived in San Diego and there was a lot of at risk youth. My sister in law said that they had one night he was talking about how futile it all was. He said even if they managed to keep a couple of kids out of gangs, out of a life of crime, helped them find jobs etc, there were 200 more they wouldn't be able to help. The next day when she woke up he was dead. He hanged himself. I do know for certain where my brother went though. He went into a wooden box. That box went into a hole in the ground. By now he has probably gone back into the food chain so to speak. That is where my brother went.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#22 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]I don't believe in heaven or hell. I do not think people who commit suicide should then be seen as "sinners" who end up in hell. A lot of sucides happen when people are depressed. Depression is a terrible thing that can make sucidide seem like a logical option at the time. People who have never been depressed before cannot understand how bad it feels and why someone could consider suicide. I think for most people suicide is a bad choice because they do it for trivial reasons or from only suffering in the short term. However, if someone was clinically depressed and did it I think it is messed up to claim they are now going to suffer for eternity. Also, if someone thinks about it seriously for a long time and comes to the conclusion that they want to I think it is their right to make that decision.kellymae

Scott has a point about depression. My older Brother committed suicide several years ago. He was a brilliant artist who had sold paintings to some very influential people. He had just signed a contract to do a book cover for a writer you would all know if I said the name. He did a lot of volunteer stuff for at risk youth. He lived in San Diego and there was a lot of at risk youth. My sister in law said that they had one night he was talking about how futile it all was. He said even if they managed to keep a couple of kids out of gangs, out of a life of crime, helped them find jobs etc, there were 200 more they wouldn't be able to help. The next day when she woke up he was dead. He hanged himself. I do know for certain where my brother went though. He went into a wooden box. That box went into a hole in the ground. By now he has probably gone back into the food chain so to speak. That is where my brother went.

Damn Kelly, sorry to hear about your brother.  Having lived thru suicides by friends and extended family members I couldn't imagine my brother or sister doing it.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lazyhoboguy

[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]I don't believe in heaven or hell. I do not think people who commit suicide should then be seen as "sinners" who end up in hell. A lot of sucides happen when people are depressed. Depression is a terrible thing that can make sucidide seem like a logical option at the time. People who have never been depressed before cannot understand how bad it feels and why someone could consider suicide. I think for most people suicide is a bad choice because they do it for trivial reasons or from only suffering in the short term. However, if someone was clinically depressed and did it I think it is messed up to claim they are now going to suffer for eternity. Also, if someone thinks about it seriously for a long time and comes to the conclusion that they want to I think it is their right to make that decision.kellymae

Sorry to hear about your brother KellyMae. He sounded like a very good person and to think someone like that will go to hell because they commited suicide is insulting to me. When I was at my catholic high school a girl killed herself. She was a former student of the school. When the school's yearbook came out it had her picture on the first page and said "may you rest in peace....wherever you may be". I thought that was very very messed up. They were basically saying rest in peace.... in hell!

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiliDragon

Ouch... I am so sorry to hear that. Wherever your brother is, I hope he's resting well. With the volunteer work he did, he did a lot of good, and if there's a Heaven I would fully expect to find him there just for that, suicide or not. He did his best to help people and that matters a lot more.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

When the school's yearbook came out it had her picture on the first page and said "may you rest in peace....wherever you may be". I thought that was very very messed up. They were basically saying rest in peace.... in hell!

lazyhoboguy

Not necessarily.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

When the school's yearbook came out it had her picture on the first page and said "may you rest in peace....wherever you may be". I thought that was very very messed up. They were basically saying rest in peace.... in hell!

Lansdowne5

Not necessarily.

>_>

*cough*

It is a safe conclusion that they at least doubted that she will go to heaven. Maybe not in a mean way but I still...

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

Teenaged

Not necessarily.

>_>

*cough*

It is a safe conclusion that they at least doubted that she will go to heaven. Maybe not in a mean way but I still...

Straight to heaven, yes. But I would seriously doubt by that statement that they were inferring she would go to hell. They were probably suggesting that she would be resting in the temporary Paradise/Sheol until Judgement Day came, not that she would be eternally damned.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lazyhoboguy
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

Lansdowne5

Not necessarily.

>_>

*cough*

Straight to heaven, yes. But I would seriously doubt by that statement that they were inferring she would go to hell. They were probably suggesting that she would be resting in the temporary Paradise/Sheol until Judgement Day came, not that she would be eternally damned.

Well I do not know which denomination of Christianity you follow but when I was learning about Catholicism I was commonly told that people who commited suicide go to hell. This school was a catholic shool where that message was taught. So by putting that in the yearbook they were saying that it was likely she was in hell. What other meaning could that have? I found that very disrespectful because they were not really honoring her but basically publically demeaning her. If the people who put that in the yearbook believed that she was in hell, they still should not have infered that on the yearbook's first page out of respect for her and her family.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChiliDragon
Well I do not know which denomination of Christianity you follow but when I was learning about Catholicism I was commonly told that people who commited suicide go to hell. This school was a catholic shool where that message was taught. So by putting that in the yearbook they were saying that it was likely she was in hell. What other meaning could that have? I found that very disrespectful because they were not really honoring her but basically publically demeaning her. If the people who put that in the yearbook believed that she was in hell, they still should not have infered that on the yearbook's first page out of respect for her and her family.lazyhoboguy
I was raised a Lutheran, not a Catholic, but I did know that part about Catholicism. I find it extremely inappropriate to put something like that for a suicide victim in the yearbook of Catholic school. As you say, it was disrespectful to a person who is no longer with us and therefore can no longer defend herself against any form of slander. Suicide is a tragedy. It is a great tragedy, no matter how you look at it, and the proper thing to do for any member of any denomination that believes in the power of prayer is to pray for her family, who will need all the help they can get as they struggle to figure out how to deal with and live with their loss. And if you don't believe in the power of prayer, then at the very least go over to that family's house, get their garbage out on the right day, get gas in their cars and stock their fridge. They probably didn't remember those trivial things, they were too busy dealing with the shock.
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

i don't believe in hell, but I would like to share my views on suicide.

I think suicide is about the single most selfish act an average person can commit.

An old acquaintance of mine recently committed suicide, but as he was extremely bipolar, I don't group him with the "average" man.

Think about it, through suicide, you get what you want, but everyone you know suffers, and you don't have to experience their suffering.

It is an extremely shocking act to those around you, and most selfish, in my opinion.

Thinking about this topic saddens me.

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

i don't believe in hell, but I would like to share my views on suicide.

I think suicide is about the single most selfish act an average person can commit.

An old acquaintance of mine recently committed suicide, but as he was extremely bipolar, I don't group him with the "average" man.

Think about it, through suicide, you get what you want, but everyone you know suffers, and you don't have to experience their suffering.

It is an extremely shocking act to those around you, and most selfish, in my opinion.

Thinking about this topic saddens me.

itsTolkien_time
Im not in that same boat with you, some people are terminally ill and might want to end their lives before they begin suffering due to their illness, i think that your family would rather watch you die than suffer the rest of your short life. Also there are people with nowhere to turn, noone to care for them, nobody to miss them. suicide should never be black or white, theres always a reason, and enough of it for someone to justify suicide.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 itsTolkien_time

@^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then use assisted suicide, if you are terminally ill. Of course, you are right, it is not black and white. I was talking a little extreme.

I already gave an example to your advantage, about my acquaintance (more of a family friend, but...). I said I don't hold too much of it against him,  as he was very bipolar.

This in turn does not mean it was specifically a good or moral reason to commit suicide, however.

Overall, I have nothing real to say on the topic, as I don't believe in hell.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts
i don't think they should go to hell.......and does'nt god decide when a person should die? so if god intended him to die by suicide then i do not see why that person should go to hell
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15986 Posts
The only place they'll go is to a cremation oven. :P
Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
I don't believe in heaven or hell. But as has been said earlier, some people's lives on earth is there own hell, physicall or mentally ill and suicide at least with me is fine in such circumstances.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 itsTolkien_time

I don't believe in heaven or hell. But as has been said earlier, some people's lives on earth is there own hell, physicall or mentally ill and suicide at least with me is fine in such circumstances.Maqda7

True, but it is not physically hell...or is it...? :P

Maybe people who go to hell are reincarnated to live on earth until they die again, and are re-judged.

I'm not making a valid speculation, as I have nothing to back it up, but it is an idea to entertain.

Suicide still isn't fine with me, and it will remain that way, unless I commit it. I don't hate people for suicide, but it is just not right. you hurt the people who knew you.

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts

[QUOTE="Maqda7"]I don't believe in heaven or hell. But as has been said earlier, some people's lives on earth is there own hell, physicall or mentally ill and suicide at least with me is fine in such circumstances.itsTolkien_time

True, but it is not physically hell...or is it...? :P

Maybe people who go to hell are reincarnated to live on earth until they die again, and are re-judged.

I'm not making a valid speculation, as I have nothing to back it up, but it is an idea to entertain.

Suicide still isn't fine with me, and it will remain that way, unless I commit it. I don't hate people for suicide, but it is just not right. you hurt the people who knew you.

I thought the afterlife isn't physical.

But I haven't thought of how selfish it is to commit suicide. I agree with you on that point.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChiliDragon
I don't hate people for suicide, but it is just not right. you hurt the people who knew you.itsTolkien_time
Not only did they know you, some of them probably loved you. That's what makes it selfish... that you leave the ones who loved you with the consequences of your decision. Now, I understand that when a person comes to the point where suicide looks like the best option available to them, they're not quite in a frame of mind where thinking about the feelings of others is high on the list of priorities. That doesn't change the fact that suicide is one of the most selfish acts a person can commit though.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx

[QUOTE="itsTolkien_time"]I don't hate people for suicide, but it is just not right. you hurt the people who knew you.ChiliDragon
Not only did they know you, some of them probably loved you. That's what makes it selfish... that you leave the ones who loved you with the consequences of your decision. Now, I understand that when a person comes to the point where suicide looks like the best option available to them, they're not quite in a frame of mind where thinking about the feelings of others is high on the list of priorities. That doesn't change the fact that suicide is one of the most selfish acts a person can commit though.

I can't speak for all suicidal people, but in the darkest days of my depression from a few years back I honestly felt as though I did not deserve to be loved and that anyone who claimed to love me was deluded and would be happier if they stopped.  So... you can kind of guess how much the statement "but people love you" would have affected me had I ever seriously considered suicide.

Not to say that I disagree that it's a rather selfish act.  But from my personal experience, I have to conclude that claims that those who commit suicide are doing so knowing how selfish it is and the extent to which people love them are not necessarily true.  It is very, very difficult to understand the frame of mind of one who is truly suicidal if you yourself have never been in that situation.  Had I committed suicide, I honestly would have done so in the firm belief that I was doing everyone a favor.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChiliDragon
But from my personal experience, I have to conclude that claims that those who commit suicide are doing so knowing how selfish it is and the extent to which people love them are not necessarily true. It is very, very difficult to understand the frame of mind of one who is truly suicidal if you yourself have never been in that situation. Had I committed suicide, I honestly would have done so in the firm belief that I was doing everyone a favor. GabuEx
I don't doubt that for a moment. My personal experience is limited to suicidal friends, which is why I added the comment about others not being high on the list of priorities. I semi-joke about it because I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with being on that side of the issue... when someone you deeply care for genuinely believes that's a lie you're feeding her just to make her feel better, and that the truth is that you want her to die, what are you supposed to do? I'll get back to you if I ever figure it out.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GabuEx

I don't doubt that for a moment. My personal experience is limited to suicidal friends, which is why I added the comment about others not being high on the list of priorities. I semi-joke about it because I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with being on that side of the issue... when someone you deeply care for genuinely believes that's a lie you're feeding her just to make her feel better, and that the truth is that you want her to die, what are you supposed to do? I'll get back to you if I ever figure it out.ChiliDragon

I couldn't tell you; there are only two things I learned from being in that experience: it's rather complicated with no easy answers (much as many would like to imagine that some exist), and there's probably not much that you can actually do.  The thing that really put me on my road to recovery was my own personal realization regarding how much damage I had done and was still doing - and that, like other things, is unfortunately not something that can be conveyed; it can only be felt.

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 itsTolkien_time
Experience is the best way to learn. I don't think I'll go suicidal just because of that fact, though. Not enough to risk an enjoyable life on. And your Soapbox articles in the summer were one of the few things that convinced me their was intelligent discussion on GS, Gabu. I wouldn't have joined if all the talk was from fanboys about which game is best. The strange depression talk made me think about that for some reason.