Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I support abortions under any circumstances and I also support the killing of an infant where there were no facilites of abortion.

My argument has no double standards and neither do the religious people who consider condoms and birth control to be "wrong". But this middle man called "pro-lifer" who happens to use contraception himself is something I cannot understand. You are practically "stopping" an almost certain birth with contraception and so is the case with abortion. Secondly the "person" dying will never know that he didnt live a life, that person has absolutly no responsibilities in society and there is no one dependant on him. He does not even know if he exists lol.

It is the flesh and blood of the parents and they should have the initial right to do whatever the hell they want to do with something their own body "releases". Once they decide to raise a child then that person should begin to have individual rights.

I also find pro-life to be a very sexiest view, I would love to see a world where man bear children and then see what the pro-lifers have to say(I know female's can be pro-life as well but it's mostly male who are pro-life for non-religious reasons).

Note: This thread is not meant to challenge any of the religious doctrines on abortion, this is specifically for those who are against abortion despite not following any dogmatic religious belief.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Well there's the whole being against murder thing.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
You are practically "stopping" an almost certain birth with contraception and so is the case with abortion.Gambler_3
"Almost" being the key word. Sex does not by default lead to pregnancy, though it exponentially increases the chances (risks?) for a woman to get pregnant. There are a lot of childless couples out there who spend fortunes trying to conceive.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

I support abortions under any circumstances and I also support the killing of an infant where there were no facilites of abortion.

My argument has no double standards and neither do the religious people who consider condoms and birth control to be "wrong". But this middle man called "pro-lifer" who happens to use contraception himself is something I cannot understand. You are practically "stopping" an almost certain birth with contraception and so is the case with abortion. Secondly the "person" dying will never know that he didnt live a life, that person has absolutly no responsibilities in society and there is no one dependant on him. He does not even know if he exists lol.

It is the flesh and blood of the parents and they should have the initial right to do whatever the hell they want to do with something their own body "releases". Once they decide to raise a child then that person should begin to have individual rights.

I also find pro-life to be a very sexiest view, I would love to see a world where man bear children and then see what the pro-lifers have to say(I know female's can be pro-life as well but it's mostly male who are pro-life for non-religious reasons).

Note: This thread is not meant to challenge any of the religious doctrines on abortion, this is specifically for those who are against abortion despite not following any dogmatic religious belief.

Gambler_3

This argument , I cannot take seriously. You think it is OK to kill an infant, who is a living human being, if the parents wanted but lacked the means to an abortion. 

You then go own to complain about sexism, which means you think that the idea that a certain sex is superior to the other is wrong. 

To review:

Infanticide? Fine and dandy.

Sexism? Unacceptable. 

That's a very strange progression of civil rights. 

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]You are practically "stopping" an almost certain birth with contraception and so is the case with abortion.ChiliDragon
"Almost" being the key word. Sex does not by default lead to pregnancy, though it exponentially increases the chances (risks?) for a woman to get pregnant. There are a lot of childless couples out there who spend fortunes trying to conceive.

Doesnt change the fact that contraception for perfectly fine couples(as in fine for creating life) is practically the same thing as early abortion.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiliDragon
The vast majority of contraceptives prevent conception by preventing fertilization. Abortion comes in after conception and ends it then. Chronologically that makes a big difference. Pro-lifers would say that one of them prevents new life while the other ends new life.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gambler_3

This argument , I cannot take seriously. You think it is OK to kill an infant, who is a living human being, if the parents wanted but lacked the means to an abortion. 

Frattracide

What is so different about a 1 day old baby then the one inside the mother?

While technically a living human being, philosophically you can say that for the first few months atleast a baby is not really a human being. It has absolutely no feelings and kiiling it would not disrupt the balance of the universe in any greater way than killing an ant beneath your boots. Heck the ant one might be worse as there maybe more ants dependant on it!

But really this is a very impractical scenario now where there are no means for abortion. I only included that part for the inevitable response from the intelligent fellows we have here that was bound to come at me to show a double standard in my stance as well.

People simply need to accept thatthe procedure of making children is such that we have to change the way we think. Murder is wrong is simply not the way to think here, nature is a cruel wasteful mess and it didnt spare the human reproduction method in the least!

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gambler_3

The vast majority of contraceptives prevent conception by preventing fertilization. Abortion comes in after conception and ends it then. Chronologically that makes a big difference. Pro-lifers would say that one of them prevents new life while the other ends new life.ChiliDragon
No the other prevents as well as it is still far from developed.

Sexual intercourse is the first step in making life and the process doesnt just end with "conception". There is still a long way to go, the mother could easily get a miscariage without any of her fault so there is certainly no guarantee of new life yet. So since contraception and early abortion fall within the same cycle, they have to be treated the same way.

I mean from the logic of a pro-lifer, every oppurtunity of sex that we reject is actually a potential murder.:shock:.....:? 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiliDragon

I mean from the logic of a pro-lifer, every oppurtunity of sex that we reject is actually a potential murder.:shock:.....:? 

Gambler_3
Technically not true, since not every sexual encounter ends with pregnancy. EDIT: As always when discussing these issues, it's probably a good idea to agree on definitions before going further. What and when is conception? When does life begin? When does it stop being an ovum and a sperm and begins being a "child"? And so on. It prevents misunderstandings down the road.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GabuEx

Sexual intercourse is the first step in making life and the process doesnt just end with "conception". There is still a long way to go, the mother could easily get a miscariage without any of her fault so there is certainly no guarantee of new life yet. So since contraception and early abortion fall within the same cycle, they have to be treated the same way.

Gambler_3

Anyone can die at any moment, so the argument seems a little odd that because there could be a miscarriage it's OK.  Religious people believe that life begins at conception, and they believe that taking an innocent life is wrong; hence, they are against abortion once the baby is conceived, but not before the baby is conceived, because (by their metric) there is not yet any life at that point.

I'm a little confused as to why this reasoning is difficult to follow.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

ChiliDragon

Technically not true, since not every sexual encounter ends with pregnancy. EDIT: As always when discussing these issues, it's probably a good idea to agree on definitions before going further. What and when is conception? When does life begin? When does it stop being an ovum and a sperm and begins being a "child"? And so on. It prevents misunderstandings down the road.

It's a "child" when it has successfully come out of the body of the mother.

The process begins with the sexual intercourse and ends when the baby has successfully left the mother, the time of the mother becoming "pregant" has no real significance as far as I am concerned. The mother still has everything to do after getting pregnant to make sure that the child does not die, you simply cannot force her for that. Ofcourse the parents have everything to do once the child is born as well but there is the option of giving it away and releasing the burden of brining up a child, no such option exists during pregnancy.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

GabuEx

Anyone can die at any moment, so the argument seems a little odd that because there could be a miscarriage it's OK.  Religious people believe that life begins at conception, and they believe that taking an innocent life is wrong; hence, they are against abortion once the baby is conceived, but not before the baby is conceived, because (by their metric) there is not yet any life at that point.

I'm a little confused as to why this reasoning is difficult to follow.

That innocent life is as much conscious of it's existence as the billions of potential lives that would never be born. Practically it makes no difference to not allow that life to grow up.

And that innocent life isnt actually that innocent, it gives alot of pain to another individual and would on many occasions seriously dent the mother's physical beauty for good. I would think an innocent life is someone who didnt do anyone any wrong, it doesnt matter that the life here isnt doing it on purpose, I mean a virus never has bad intentions against humans does it? But it must be ridden off.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Gambler_3
Does that mean pro-lifers should be against masturbation too?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Teenaged

No because the resources arent there to make a child when you are masturbatng alone.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

No because the resources arent there to make a child when you are masturbatng alone.

Why? Because ovules arent situated close to the "location" of the sperm? 0_o

Its still wasted material that could result in a child, no? The potential is there.

And that is true by your own standards. In protected sex there is the potential of a child being conceived. But the sperm and the ovules never (if successful) reach each other. The only difference between protected sex and masturbation is that in the first ovules are near by.

What I am saying is that if we embrace your view a slipperly slope is inevitable. Where you drew the line is not less arbitrary than where pro-lifers have drawn the line.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Well, there is the fact that a child being conceived is a unique individual that *should* be offered a chance at life.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Teenaged

Its still wasted material that could result in a child, no? The potential is there.

And that is true by your own standards. In protected sex there is the potential of a child being conceived. But the sperm and the ovules never (if successful) reach each other. The only difference between protected sex and masturbation is that in the first ovules are near by.

What I am saying is that if we embrace your view a slipperly slope is inevitable. Where you drew the line is not less arbitrary than where pro-lifers have drawn the line.

No it cannot result in a child. Masturbation is an individual thing done for pleasure, an individual cannot concieve a child on their own so there is no real lost potential.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3
Well, there is the fact that a child being conceived is a unique individual that *should* be offered a chance at life.foxhound_fox
Hez dependant on the mother, if she is not willing to take the pain and hassle for several months than you cannot force her. As simple as that...
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

No it cannot result in a child. Masturbation is an individual thing done for pleasure, an individual cannot concieve a child on their own so there is no real lost potential.

Sperm cannot result in a child? On its own, surely not. But the sperm captured inside the condom is "on its own" too. Just because its close to ovules during the proceedure doesnt mean that the potential is more prominent in sex. The potential to create a child in sex is only more prominent because condoms and most contraception methods are not 100% safe.

Sex is also done by two individuals for pleasure many times.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChiliDragon
By the above logic, a couple in a long-distance relationship can have as much phone sex as they want, but as soon as they start living together they should either stop having sex or start having as children. Reproductive morals based on geography and proximity? :?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GabuEx

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Well, there is the fact that a child being conceived is a unique individual that *should* be offered a chance at life.Gambler_3
Hez dependant on the mother, if she is not willing to take the pain and hassle for several months than you cannot force her. As simple as that...

Children are dependent on the mother for over a decade after their birth too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox
Hez dependant on the mother, if she is not willing to take the pain and hassle for several months than you cannot force her. As simple as that...Gambler_3

Oh but I can... she decided to let some guy stick his dick in her. Sex comes with adult responsibilities... and everyone *should* be held accountable for their actions. Not to mention the option for adoption is always open. I can understand the cases where having the child would threaten her life (especially with regards to young girls, under the age of 14), but adult women who sleep around? They made their choice already, so they get stuck with what they brought on themselves.

I find it interesting how we should punish the baby for the actions of the mother.

Oh yes, and what Gabu said too. A newborn isn't going to be able to survive on its own until at least age 5, but even then it still could never support itself in modern society without a parent or guardian.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Teenaged

Sperm cannot result in a child? On its own, surely not. But the sperm captured inside the condom is "on its own" too. Just because its close to ovules during the proceedure doesnt mean that the potential is more prominent in sex. The potential to create a child in sex is only more prominent because condoms and most contraception methods are not 100% safe.

Sex is also done by two individuals for pleasure many times.

Look I am not the one who is supporting this reasoning. When a child is conceived that is also not enough on it's own to create a life, there's a long process still ahead so how does abortion and using condom different again?

And yes sex is mostly done for pleasure.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Well, there is the fact that a child being conceived is a unique individual that *should* be offered a chance at life.GabuEx

Children are dependent on the mother for over a decade after their birth too.

No the mother is not "required", anyone else can do the job as well if they are willing...
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teenaged
Look I am not the one who is supporting this reasoning. When a child is conceived that is also not enough on it's own to create a life, there's a long process still ahead so how does abortion and using condom different again?

Gambler_3

All you are doing is taking the line pro-life people have placed (that a child is human/has rights/exists or whatever at the moment of conception) and moving it before the act of ceonception; at the act of sex.

Just like you, I take the line and move it to include all acts which willingfully "waste" material needed for reproduction.

While you may object that sex has nothing to do with masturbation the same applies for sex versus conception. Since sex most certainly isnt only meant for reproduction (pro-lifers dont believe it is meant only for reproduction necessarily).

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3
By the above logic, a couple in a long-distance relationship can have as much phone sex as they want, but as soon as they start living together they should either stop having sex or start having as children. Reproductive morals based on geography and proximity? :?ChiliDragon
Ya pro-life logic is flawed, glad you got it finally...
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Hez dependant on the mother, if she is not willing to take the pain and hassle for several months than you cannot force her. As simple as that...foxhound_fox

Oh but I can... she decided to let some guy stick his dick in her. Sex comes with adult responsibilities... and everyone *should* be held accountable for their actions. Not to mention the option for adoption is always open. I can understand the cases where having the child would threaten her life (especially with regards to young girls, under the age of 14), but adult women who sleep around? They made their choice already, so they get stuck with what they brought on themselves.

I find it interesting how we should punish the baby for the actions of the mother.

Oh yes, and what Gabu said too. A newborn isn't going to be able to survive on its own until at least age 5, but even then it still could never support itself in modern society without a parent or guardian.

Sex is mostly done for pleasure. Who are you to tell others about their responsibilities? It's their life, their body and "their DNA". Sex is one of the biggest pleasures in life and to bring in this whole superficial responsibility of a fetus is totally anti-freedom, it's as bad as any dogmatic religious doctrines.

Abortion does NOT cause any significant suffering, the baby would never know of what happened. Blame nature or god(whatever your belief) about having such a wasteful procedure. Do you even know that when a child is concieved, there are billions of other "unique" kids that are forever lost and will never see the light of day?? To clinge on this responsibility thing on some fetus who doesnt even have a nervous system is as superficial as it gets.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Look I am not the one who is supporting this reasoning. When a child is conceived that is also not enough on it's own to create a life, there's a long process still ahead so how does abortion and using condom different again?

Teenaged

All you are doing is taking the line pro-life people have placed (that a child is human/has rights/exists or whatever at the moment of conception) and moving it before the act of ceonception; at the act of sex.

Just like you, I take the line and move it to include all acts which willingfully "waste" material needed for reproduction.

While you may object that sex has nothing to do with masturbation the same applies for sex versus conception. Since sex most certainly isnt only meant for reproduction (pro-lifers dont believe it is meant only for reproduction necessarily).

The "material" needed for reproduction isnt in scarce quantity so that point is invalid. By not masturbating nothing changes than if I masturbated. By using contraception, it all changes especially the fact that most people are fully capable of reproducing.

Yes sex isnt only for reproduction, that's why we abort since having a child was never our purpose. 

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gambler_3
Why should I sacrifice my sexual pleasure for someone else? Using condoms is certainly not the same thing as not using it and throwing out but the latter is a rather riskier way of birth control. Nobody wants to have a child concieved for fun and then have it aborted, I am gonna make efforts to not let it happen but if it does happen than I am not ruining my life over someone who prolly wont even give a **** later on in life about the sacrifice that we made for him\her.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Look I am not the one who is supporting this reasoning. When a child is conceived that is also not enough on it's own to create a life, there's a long process still ahead so how does abortion and using condom different again?

Gambler_3

The "material" needed for reproduction isnt in scarce quantity so that point is invalid. By not masturbating nothing changes than if I masturbated. By using contraception, it all changes especially the fact that most people are fully capable of reproducing.

Yes sex isnt only for reproduction, that's why we abort since having a child was never our purpose. 

If the material needed for reproduction isnt scarce then how do you say that with protected sex, the potential for a new life is lost.Clearly nothing is lost since there are plenty of people reproducing out there. The issue was not about scarcity to begin with.

And by not having sex which I would have with condom or some other form of contraception nothing changes either. Still no child.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Look I am not the one who is supporting this reasoning. When a child is conceived that is also not enough on it's own to create a life, there's a long process still ahead so how does abortion and using condom different again?

Teenaged

If the material needed for reproduction isnt scarce then how do you say that with protected sex, the potential for a new life is lost.Clearly nothing is lost since there are plenty of people reproducing out there. The issue was not about scarcity to begin with.

And by not having sex which I would have with condom or some other form of contraception nothing changes either. Still no child.

And by aborting nothing is lost either....

It wasnt about not having sex, it was about having sex with or without contraception which wont be the same things.:|

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teenaged
And by aborting nothing is lost either....

It wasnt about not having sex, it was about having sex with or without contraception which wont be the same things.:|

Gambler_3

I never claimed something is lost (although I do believe it is but that is irrelevant and not part of my point).

Here's how this thread has gone because i think we lost focus (or just me):

You applied criticism to pro-life people that if they think that abortion prevents life, then they shouldnt have protected sex since that also prevents the child that could have resulted.

And I butt in to say that this could be stretched to include masturbation too.

The reasons you gave as to why masturbation is not comparable to protected sex were:

a) The material is not lost

b) Nothing changes if I masturbate than what would "happen" if I hadnt

All of this applies to protected sex:

a) The material is not wasted. Or rather it is much wasted as it is in masturbation Just because ovules and sperm get closer doesnt render it a loss.

b) Nothing changes if I have protected sex then what would "happen" if I have no sex at all.

Bottomline is: I understand you are purposefuly "shifting" the line pro-life people have set, to show that there can be no line.

But idk I just felt that you are not doing it just to show that but that you actually expect pro-lifers to actually not have protected sex if they are to be pro-life.

Personally if I convinced the pro-lifers with such an argument I would be like "*facepalm* that...... wasnt the point -_-"

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox
Sex is mostly done for pleasure. Gambler_3

That is an absolutely MASSIVE assumption.

Who are you to tell others about their responsibilities? It's their life, their body and "their DNA". Sex is one of the biggest pleasures in life and to bring in this whole superficial responsibility of a fetus is totally anti-freedom, it's as bad as any dogmatic religious doctrines.

Abortion does NOT cause any significant suffering, the baby would never know of what happened. Blame nature or god(whatever your belief) about having such a wasteful procedure. Do you even know that when a child is concieved, there are billions of other "unique" kids that are forever lost and will never see the light of day?? To clinge on this responsibility thing on some fetus who doesnt even have a nervous system is as superficial as it gets.

Gambler_3

The baby inside them isn't "their body," it is an entirely unique body made up from a unique combination of its parents unique DNA. No other combination will ever be the same, regardless of how many times the parents reproduce.

I'd say calling being pro-life "anti-freedom" to be quite insulting. I don't think I, as an adult who partakes in sex for pleasure, would feel comfortable knowing anyone around me willfully having an abortion because they said "oops" and didn't take the proper precautions before having sex. I lose an incredible amount of respect for anyone willing to support abortion as a means of retro-active birth control. It isn't, its murder. Period.

There is only one ovum, and only one sperm can ever get in... so the argument that "millions of other kids are lost" is fallacious. There will only ever be a single child created through natural conception (as long as there is only one, normal ovum; that doesn't split to become twins). Even without masturbation or unprotected sex, the male body will expel sperm on its own, and if it can't expel it, it will absorb it back into the system. Tying a sperm to a zygote is also fallacious, as a sperm only contains 50% of the required material to form a human being.

Sex is an adult activity... and there are definitely consequences that come along with it. I personally would think anyone who supports abortion is "anti-freedom" because they are limiting children who end up aborted from having their freedom to live their lives and grow up.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gambler_3

@ tennaged

No my main point about masturbation is that it is an individual act that cannot create children. It is something completely independant of sexual intercourse.

But I dont know why we are arguing over this? Many pro-choice people actually bring this "then masturbation is also wrong" thing to furthur support their argument. I mean it doesnt hurt my argument in the least to give it that masturbation is not accpetable under pro-life rules but I dont support something I dont believe in just to strengthen my argument.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teenaged

@ tennaged

No my main point about masturbation is that it is an individual act that cannot create children. It is something completely independant of sexual intercourse.

But I dont know why we are arguing over this? Many pro-choice people actually bring this "then masturbation is also wrong" thing to furthur support their argument. I mean it doesnt hurt my argument in the least to give it that masturbation is not accpetable under pro-life rules but I dont support something I dont believe in just to strengthen my argument.

Gambler_3

I am not even trying to hurt your argument.

I just feel that you really "demand" of pro-lifers to not have protected sex. And the reasons why you do this could point towards masturbation too.

The masturbation itself may not be able to create life but its products could be used later on for that.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]By the above logic, a couple in a long-distance relationship can have as much phone sex as they want, but as soon as they start living together they should either stop having sex or start having as children. Reproductive morals based on geography and proximity? :?Gambler_3
Ya pro-life logic is flawed, glad you got it finally...

I said your logic was, not that pro-life logic is. ;) What you're arguing for here may have started in pro-life logic, but you've taken it away from it into a direction that most pro-lifers would disagree with, as Teenaged has already pointed out.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gambler_3

@ foxhound

How many times does a couple have sex all their life? And how many children on average do educated people have? Ya now go figure if it's a huge assumption or not, I dont even think it's an assumption at all, it's just so obvious.:?

Your whole point would have some validity if their was some thrid person(perhaps god) who "destined" a child to be born through certain couple and that couple decided to interfere and not let the child be born. But that is obviously not a world you believe in. I "created" the child and I can end it before the child becomes a fully functional baby.

It's too bad you lose respect for people who are pro-choice, you almost sound like an extremist here. I will simply have to agree to disagree with you. 

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

@ tennaged

Teenaged

I just feel that you really "demand" of pro-lifers to not have protected sex. And the reasons why you do this could point towards masturbation too.

The masturbation itself may not be able to create life but its products could be used later on for that.

I am only asking for an intellectual explanation for the standpoint that they have. I wouldnt want them to stop having sex but rather realise the grave flaws in their stance and rethink the issue carefully.

I never "demand" anyone of anything. Words are my only weapon...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxhound_fox

@ foxhound

How many times does a couple have sex all their life? And how many children on average do educated people have? Ya now go figure if it's a huge assumption or not, I dont even think it's an assumption at all, it's just so obvious.:?

Your whole point would have some validity if their was some thrid person(perhaps god) who "destined" a child to be born through certain couple and that couple decided to interfere and not let the child be born. But that is obviously not a world you believe in. I "created" the child and I can end it before the child becomes a fully functional baby.

It's too bad you lose respect for people who are pro-choice, you almost sound like an extremist here. I will simply have to agree to disagree with you.

Gambler_3

You really are making little sense here Gambler, you logic is incredibly flawed and you are making some really fallacious points.

What does a couple having lots of sex in their life have to do with anything? Protected sex is there for people to enjoy it with a much less chance of getting pregnant (or STD's). And sex has evolved both as a means of procreation AND pleasure, it is a big assumption to make claiming it is "done mostly for pleasure" when in fact, it is the central way in which humans reproduce... and there wouldn't be 6.6 billion of us if that wasn't the case.

What? You just say my point has "no validity" and then don't do anything to back it up? CIass A debating there.

"I created the child and I can end it."

Oh what a wonderful little piece of heaven we have here. So, you can just murder your child at any point because you created them? THAT is flawed logic if I've ever seen it, and completely undermines your entire position.

I don't lose respect for people who are pro-choice, only people who think abortion is a means of retro-active birth control. Obvious strawman is obvious. Calling me an "extremist" could be considered an insult in many regards. And I am definitely not going to start terrorist action because of this. I find it abhorrent that the Canadian government pays for abortions, but all I can do about it is vote for someone who doesn't support it.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

@ tennaged

Gambler_3

I am only asking for an intellectual explanation for the standpoint that they have. I wouldnt want them to stop having sex but rather realise the grave flaws in their stance and rethink the issue carefully.

I never "demand" anyone of anything. Words are my only weapon...

Eh, its just that you came off like you really thought that thats what they must do. Anyway, just the impression I got.

Thats why I put the verb in quotes. I know you didnt demand anything. I just couldnt find another word.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gambler_3

You really are making little sense here Gambler, you logic is incredibly flawed and you are making some really fallacious points.

What does a couple having lots of sex in their life have to do with anything? Protected sex is there for people to enjoy it with a much less chance of getting pregnant (or STD's). And sex has evolved both as a means of procreation AND pleasure, it is a big assumption to make claiming it is "done mostly for pleasure" when in fact, it is the central way in which humans reproduce... and there wouldn't be 6.6 billion of us if that wasn't the case.

What? You just say my point has "no validity" and then don't do anything to back it up? CIass A debating there.

"I created the child and I can end it."

Oh what a wonderful little piece of heaven we have here. So, you can just murder your child at any point because you created them? THAT is flawed logic if I've ever seen it, and completely undermines your entire position.

I don't lose respect for people who are pro-choice, only people who think abortion is a means of retro-active birth control. Obvious strawman is obvious. Calling me an "extremist" could be considered an insult in many regards. And I am definitely not going to start terrorist action because of this. I find it abhorrent that the Canadian government pays for abortions, but all I can do about it is vote for someone who doesn't support it.foxhound_fox
When I said "mostly done for pleasure" I meant the no. of times that a couple engages in sexual activity, the majority of it is for pleasure.

The child never had a right since he was never born, you have to prove if he had some right to life. The religious people say that since god gives life, he is the one who gave the unborn "rights" and that's a fine argument.

Not at any point, they should decide on knowing that they have concieved a child whether they want to give it life or not. 

I guess I didnt understand what you said. What does "retro-active birth control" means??

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

The child never had a right since he was never born, you have to prove if he had some right to life. The religious people say that since god gives life, he is the one who gave the unborn "rights" and that's a fine argument. Gambler_3

Lol. I have already stated why I think unborn children have as much right to life as born children... and that is because they are a unique individual with unique DNA and are by all standard definitions, alive.

Not at any point, they should decide on knowing that they have concieved a child whether they want to give it life or not. Gambler_3

****... Come on man. That is dastardly. Everyone who has sex *should* know that it *could* lead to pregnancy. Being able to say "oops" and get off without any consequences is a lot of what is wrong in society these days.

I guess I didnt understand what you said. What does "retro-active birth control" means??Gambler_3

Saying "oops" and aborting the child instead of taking the methods to prevent its conception before having sex.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15995 Posts

If you endorse the killing of infants that were birthed by poor mothers, wouldn't that suggest that you believe abortion should be mandatory in third world countries? :?

If so, that is not pro-choice.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
[QUOTE="Frattracide"]

Gambler_3

What is so different about a 1 day old baby then the one inside the mother?

While technically a living human being, philosophically you can say that for the first few months atleast a baby is not really a human being. It has absolutely no feelings and kiiling it would not disrupt the balance of the universe in any greater way than killing an ant beneath your boots. Heck the ant one might be worse as there maybe more ants dependant on it!

But really this is a very impractical scenario now where there are no means for abortion. I only included that part for the inevitable response from the intelligent fellows we have here that was bound to come at me to show a double standard in my stance as well.

People simply need to accept thatthe procedure of making children is such that we have to change the way we think. Murder is wrong is simply not the way to think here, nature is a cruel wasteful mess and it didnt spare the human reproduction method in the least!

My point was that the position is absurd. I think it is necessary to point out that an infant does have feelings. It can even express those feelings, just not in ways that are very complex, as those are acquired skills. When it is amused it laughs or smiles, when it is hungry, it cries and so on. This is not what makes your position absurd though. What I have a hard time taking seriously is the idea that killing someone is justified because you do not deem that person to serve a purpose.

Perhaps there is a homeless man who is without family or friends. This man would not contribute to society and at worst would be a burden. Sure he has feelings but, then again, so does that infant. And there are lots of ways he could be killed that would preclude his experience of his own death. By your standard, killing this man would be acceptable.       

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Ah, yes the abortion issue. I don't think that I'm quite as extreme as you are Gambler but I do appreciate your attempt to have no double standards in you reasoning.

I used to argue that abortion was permissable because a fetus only became a person when it gained the appropriate mental faculties such as consciousness, sapience and introspection. This line of argument ends up implying however, that terminating children up to two, three or four years of age is permissable which I simply cannot affirm.

My two basic standpoints are as follows. 1. It is not okay to terminate a newborn baby. If it can cry then every primal instinct I have says not to kill it. 2. It's totally okay to kill an organism in the early stages of development. If it's just a zygote or a blastocyst or a lump of flesh that's essentially leeching off the mother's placenta like a parasite then bugger it. The children that I find scampering around are worth protecting, these are not.

The problem comes in trying to come up with a solid moral justification for some kind of middle-ground where my attitude all of a sudden changes. And honestly I don't think that I have one. Autonomy could be cited as a suitable feature of a baby that all of a sudden makes it precious, but really I don't think that I find infants precious because they can survive outside of the womb. Autonomy just happens to be a milestone that fits in with my moral intuitions about what forms of human life are and are not valuable.

Still though, my confusion aside, I am neither pro-choice nor pro-life. Rather I define myself as anti-fetus, because I do not find abortion permissable because of a woman's right to choose what to do with her body. Instead I find abortion permissable because I have no good reason to give a damn about a fetus. foxhound sorry but I don't reckon that individuality on a genetic level plays any part whatsoever in the value of a person. Say you cloned me right now, would the fetus in development not be of any worth to you because it does not have any unique D.N.A.? I strongly doubt it. D.N.A. only matters because of what it ends up producing (i.e. a healthy full-grown person). It doesn't have any intrinsic value in and of itself.

At least that's my point of view on things.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Basically, the argument for pro-life is that a human comes into existence at conception, and therefore abortion is murder, or something similar to murder. While I'm not a rabid abortion rights advocate, and while I'm somewhat sympathetic to the pro-life movement, I'm not really convinced by their core argument. Even by saying that life begins at conception - conception isn't an instantaneous thing, so a grey area still exists vis-a-vis when life actually begins. I also feel as if there is no justification for equivocating a fetus to a person who has been born. At best it's a potential human, but by calling it such you are conceding that a fetus isn't actually a human being. 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChiliDragon
The problem comes in trying to come up with a solid moral justification for some kind of middle-ground where my attitude all of a sudden changes. And honestly I don't think that I have one. Autonomy could be cited as a suitable feature of a baby that all of a sudden makes it precious, but really I don't think that I find infants precious.domatron23
Another problem with citing autonomy is that children are theoretically able to survive outside the womb before they are born. Pre-mature babies survive (I myself was four weeks early and clearly didn't die from that). Matter of fact, thanks to modern medicine babies that would have been born too early to survive ten years ago can grow and develop normally today. With all the above in mind, putting the moment of birth as a rigid divider becomes a bit... difficult, from a practical standpoint. EDIT: Also, although I doubt that was your intention, you've illustrated the difficulty of pro-life arguments very nicely, as did Sun_Tzu. It's easy to justify being against abortion because "it's wrong to kill babies". The difficulty lies in determining when the fetus becomes a baby, when exactly it becomes morally repugnant instead of simply a tragic event that could have been avoided by using birth control. It's comparatively easy to justify the use of birth control, since they prevent conception, instead of ending the process after conception has taken place, if nothing else the "lesser of two evils" argument can easily be made. The problem is, of course, that it's only partly an intellectual issue. One a very basic level it's an emotional and/or religion-drive stance to have, and because of that justifying it purely intellectually becomes impossible. It's another one of those issues that logic can partially explain, but not entirely.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gambler_3

Your first point is moot since nobody aborts so late that the baby is capable of surviving on it's own. I simply cannot see much difference between earliest possible abortion and birth control. We live in a world of regular checkups and it's not like a preganacy is going to go unnoticed for a significant time. People who cant seek proper meidcal help early on prolly have even more important things to worry about like food and water for bare survival.

And yes I agree it's not entirely an intellectual issue.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChiliDragon
Actually, my first point agrees with one of yours earlier; the only difference between a baby right after it's been born, and two weeks before its' born, is its physical location. Emotionally, intellectually, and as far as physical development goes, there is no difference. You went on to the conclusion that if it's okay to kill the baby before birth then it's okay to kill it after, since the baby itself is no different. I went on to the conclusion that if it's wrong to kill the baby after birth then it's wrong to kill it before birth, since the baby itself is no different. Same coin, just different sides of it. Obviously the earlier stages of the pregnancy are a different thing entirely.