RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I've been absent for a few weeks, due largely to how busy I have been in these first few weeks of college. I feel more comfortable about wasting time now, though, so I wanted to talk about one of the classes I'm taking that is turning out to be one of my favorites. It's a Topics course called "Religion & Revolutions". Funny thing about the title, though, is that when Professor Cipa proposed the class, he used the title "Modernization & Secularization", but IU wrote him back telling him to think of a "sexier" name. And that's the word they actually used, haha.

Anyway, though, I can't help but think of this Union every time I have a lecture or discussion group. So far we've only had one discussion group, but it's been pretty intense. The topics discussed there are very similar to the topics discussed here. For instance, Is nationalism a religion? What is the definition of religion? Does the modernization of society imply the secularization of society, and why? It goes deeper than that in the discussions, but those are just the essential thesis questions of the discussion.

Anyway, I wanted to give you guys a heads up that I might try to bring some of that discussion over here so I can talk about it with you guys. The atmosphere is a little different when it's behind a computer and you have a variety of resources at your disposal thanks to the Internet.

Android339

Welcome back. That course does sound really interesting. Can I ask if you're studying at a religious institution?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

Welcome back. That course does sound really interesting. Can I ask if you're studying at a religious institution?

Android339

Nope. I'm attending Indiana University - Bloomington. It's, well, very diverse, haha.

You definitley meet all sorts of people at university. The philosophy department in particular is bound to be a melting pot of different perspectives.

As for posting material related to your classes here, go for it. Half of the stuff that I present here is recycled ideas from my university days. I find that other people always have some interesting angle to give on any particular issue.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Nope. I'm attending Indiana University - Bloomington. It's, well, very diverse, haha.

Android339

Aww... and I thought that course was really interesting.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What? Android339

The course sounds interesting... and I would be interested in taking it if I didn't live in Canada. :P