ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
As much as I was hoping this would be a spin-off of Bioshock, it turns out that it's actually a serious business. Basically, believers in the Rapture (a.k.a. a select few will be swept to Heaven while the rest of us are stuck down here as civilian casualties of the end of the world) who have pets, and who want their abandoned pets to be cared for as they are swept away, can pay atheists to do it. A ten year contract costs $110 for one pet, with an extra $15 for each additional pet. The atheist volunteer rescuers must sign an affidavit proclaiming their atheism, so the pet owners can be certain they will be left behind. They must also pass a criminal background check and have the means and ability to get to the animals in their region in 18-36 hours, the sooner the better. The founder of the organization, a Mr. Bart Centre, has made it clear that if he actually believed the rapture would happen he'd be charging a lot more, but that hasn't stopped believers from buying contracts and visiting his website often enough to generate roughly $200 per month in ad revenue. Centre donates the ad revenue to the foodbanks in his home state, since he apparently believes in doing good when he can. I am speechless. Anyone else? (From here.)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
If they're in eternal bliss with God in heaven, why would they care about their soulless pets? :P
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
At least he isn't spending the money for himself.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

*jaw drops*

*tries to shut mouth with the help of hands.... jaw drops again*

*is lost*

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
The funny part is that most pets don't even live long. Maybe up to 15 years at the most. Do they actually believe that the Rapture will come then? I just... can't understand that rationale, especially when the greatest country on Earth continues to exist. Even if they think that President Obama is going to change the United States, well they need to think again, because President Obama's done nothing besides the stimulus bill and conservatives are showing strong signs of redemption.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Heh, yeah I heard about this a while ago.

Frankly if you fall for something like this then you deserve to be swindled. I commend the dude for donating his profits to foodbanks though.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChiliDragon
Re-reading the article, I think it's only the ad revenue he donates. He keeps the profits, since he dislikes the rapture hysteria and enjoys having supplemental income to go with the rest of his retirement money.... I don't really have a problem with that either though, for a lot of reasons.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Re-reading the article, I think it's only the ad revenue he donates. He keeps the profits, since he dislikes the rapture hysteria and enjoys having supplemental income to go with the rest of his retirement money.... I don't really have a problem with that either though, for a lot of reasons.ChiliDragon

"A fool and his money are soon parted." :P 

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I won't argue here; BioShock is an awesome game. :P
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Re-reading the article, I think it's only the ad revenue he donates. He keeps the profits, since he dislikes the rapture hysteria and enjoys having supplemental income to go with the rest of his retirement money.... I don't really have a problem with that either though, for a lot of reasons.GabuEx

"A fool and his money are soon parted." :P 

That would be the main reason, yes... :D