People you were surprised to find to be atheists?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

This can be from a personal level or from a general scope. I was surprised to find that U.S. soldier Pat Tillman wasn't religious. Not an atheistic per se, but not religious either. I was also surprised to learn that Lance Armstrong was an atheist. Also, a friend of mine I found out was an existentialist atheist. That was surprising, given that he doesn't seem to fit the mold of what a stereotyped atheist is, but then again, I'm finding out more and more that the perception of many atheists held by some theists are blown out of proportion.

What about everyone else?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Some people find it surprising that I'm an atheist (not often though). Can't really think of too many other people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I suppose the most surprised person I didn't expect to be Atheist, was C.S. Lewis. Considering all the things hes written on christianity and all. Does that still count even though he converted back?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I suppose the most surprised person I didn't expect to be Atheist, was C.S. Lewis. Considering all the things hes written on christianity and all. Does that still count even though he converted back?123625

Whaaaaat???

Was this before, during or after he wrote all of his material?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 123625

[QUOTE="123625"]I suppose the most surprised person I didn't expect to be Atheist, was C.S. Lewis. Considering all the things hes written on christianity and all. Does that still count even though he converted back?domatron23

Whaaaaat???

Was this before, during or after he wrote all of his material?

Before, wikipedia is great isn't it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Well, if you want to factor in people who were at least partially atheistic towards their lifetime, then I nominate Mother Theresa, who, for the last fifty years of her life according to her writings, felt no presence of God.

The letters, many of them preserved against her wishes (she had requested that they be destroyed but was overruled by her church), reveal that for the last nearly half-century of her life she felt no presence of God whatsoever.TIME

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts

I suppose the most surprised person I didn't expect to be Atheist, was C.S. Lewis. Considering all the things hes written on christianity and all. Does that still count even though he converted back?123625

I thought C.S. Lewis was quite pro-Christian. The Narnia books have a obvious Christian theme to them.

Here is a site that shows famous atheists and agnostics:

http://www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org/Quotes.htm

I was quite surprised at Lincoln having atheist thoughts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 123625

I thought C.S. Lewis was quite pro-Christian. The Narnia books have a obvious Christian theme to them.

Here is a site that shows famous atheists and agnostics:

http://www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org/Quotes.htm

I was quite surprised at Lincoln having atheist thoughts.

felixlynch777

He was an atheist then converted back to christianity about 18 years after being atheist. Tolkein and a few other people pretty much convinced him of it, and I like this qoute from one of his works.

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England."

Theres another one with him saying he came into christianit ykicking and screaming but I can't find the exact qoute anywhere.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Not really to people I've known most or all my life. I've always been one to question everything and try to figure out why people think certain ways. Now people who haven't known me for long, they are quite shocked.

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Well, if you want to factor in people who were at least partially atheistic towards their lifetime, then I nominate Mother Theresa, who, for the last fifty years of her life according to her writings, felt no presence of God.

[quote="TIME"]The letters, many of them preserved against her wishes (she had requested that they be destroyed but was overruled by her church), reveal that for the last nearly half-century of her life she felt no presence of God whatsoever.Genetic_Code

o.k. that one is quite suprising

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts

[quote="TIME"]The letters, many of them preserved against her wishes (she had requested that they be destroyed but was overruled by her church), reveal that for the last nearly half-century of her life she felt no presence of God whatsoever.Genetic_Code

I read that issue of TIME actually. She also said that she thought she might be possesed by a demon as well.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
I'm more surprised when people are not atheists.