Graeme95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Graeme95
Member since 2009 • 1305 Posts

I promise this wont be as outlandish as my last one...

but i find religion terrible because they set out missionary camps in Africa. Now helping them is one thing...but for the price of your beliefs? that's another.  Its sad to see some 12 year old girl being married to a 15 year old guy.. though maybe in love they also are under-aged...and need to be more mature about this. also one of the reasons AIDS spread so fast was the lack of condoms...makes me a little irritant 

Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts
Well, look at it like this, at least missionary tactics have become more.. peaceful in the last few centuries.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Hang on a second are you saying that the missionaries encouraged underaged marriage and unprotected sex? (Actually I could imagine that the latter is very well true.)

The condom thing aside I think missionaries are great. They're helpng out people in dire need and even if they do have an ulterior motive it's still damned good of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I have nothing against them. I think they're actually contributive, and I don't think that they increase the use of unprotected sex. That would be counter of what they're trying to accomplish, no?
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts
Ehh. They probably do more good than harm on the whole (don't get me started on the Catholic Church's deliberate lies about the effectiveness of condoms though. Say you believe it's morally wrong if you must, but don't lie about the facts).
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
I have a higher opinion of those whose primary purpose is to help than those whose primary purpose is to convert, but even to just be willing to go to Africa and help the people there (for either reason) demands a healthy level of respect.
Graeme95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Graeme95
Member since 2009 • 1305 Posts
Im not saying they should get out just because they are over there for there religion...its nice and it helps...butt yes My friend came from south afric and she traveld alot (her mom was a doctor) hence she saw alot of that load of stuff.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

The missionaries I've personally known to go to places like Africa do very much the opposite of what you speak of.  These missionaries have done amazing things for the people of Africa such as help the people medically (such as my cousin who is a nurse and my dentist who goes every year), liguists who translate the Bible into their native languages, some who promote responsibility regarding sex especially in countries like South Africa, a scientist/professor who went to help a nation's agriculture, etc. etc.

I've heard many many amazing stories by people I've met and know personally about what they have done for the continent of Africa.  Also, I know of about 50 college graduates who are spending 2 years seeking to spread the gospel message in the remotest parts of Africa in an effort to spread hope.  These people are living in huts and are living no different than the people they minister to.  Another person I've met's passion in life was to start an orphanage in Northeast Africa.  He actually grew up in West Africa as a missionary's child.

I'm well aware not all missionaries do great things, some even the opposite, but an extremely large number of missionaries are doing amazing things in the world, especially 3rd world countries.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Im not saying they should get out just because they are over there for there religion...its nice and it helps...butt yes My friend came from south afric and she traveld alot (her mom was a doctor) hence she saw alot of that load of stuff. Graeme95
No offense to your friend, but can it be possible that her personal experience might not be representative of Christian missionaries as a whole? After all, she's only one person... I grew up with, and am friends with, a lot of Christian ministers and nurses who went to various parts of Africa, at no profit or obvious advantage of their own, because they saw the conditions these people were living in and they remembered that Christ said that if you love him, you will help the ones that no one else is willing to help. These people dug wells and taught the village around the well how to filter their water. They taught them where bacteria grows and how to prevent it. They gave them a hospital, they gave them a school so that their children one day can open a business and be independent of the drug lords and criminal syndicates in the region. And when they were asked about why they were doing these things, they replied by explaining that Christianity demands its followers to help those in need, regardless of where they are and what the cost to you personally is. And they believed in that so firmly that several of them gave up their health and in some cases their lives for doing so. There are strange and debilitating diseases in Central Africa... and the local crime syndicates don't like it when someone refuses to obey them. For these people that I know and grew up with, converting anyone was an important part of what they were doing, but not by far the most important part. They were there to feed the widows and the fatherless. They were there to give hope to those who had no hope, and they did their best to do so. They also tried to evangelize when they could. I'm not saying everyone is like my friends. I am biased in their favor after all. What I'm saying is that not every missionary is as you claim they are either. Keep an open mind. There are actually some deeply religious individuals out there who are good and caring human beings, with a genuine passion for helping their fellow man, and the fact that you refuse to believe that won't change anything.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I'm sure poor people in Africa would take the food whether God came with it or not. Its just an excuse to indoctrinate people while you give them some wheat.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

The missionaries I've personally known to go to places like Africa do very much the opposite of what you speak of.  These missionaries have done amazing things for the people of Africa such as help the people medically (such as my cousin who is a nurse and my dentist who goes every year), liguists who translate the Bible into their native languages, some who promote responsibility regarding sex especially in countries like South Africa, a scientist/professor who went to help a nation's agriculture, etc. etc.

I've heard many many amazing stories by people I've met and know personally about what they have done for the continent of Africa.  Also, I know of about 50 college graduates who are spending 2 years seeking to spread the gospel message in the remotest parts of Africa in an effort to spread hope.  These people are living in huts and are living no different than the people they minister to.  Another person I've met's passion in life was to start an orphanage in Northeast Africa.  He actually grew up in West Africa as a missionary's child.

I'm well aware not all missionaries do great things, some even the opposite, but an extremely large number of missionaries are doing amazing things in the world, especially 3rd world countries.

mindstorm

How exactly is translating the bible into native languages an "amazing thing" for the people of that region? It's only a great thing if you're already Christian and thus believe that you're helping them by converting them. To everyone else it's an extremely trivial gesture.

I don't mean to cherry pick statements. Certainly giving medical care and aiding agriculture is a noble cause, it's just that I hate it when Christians talk as if merely converting people to Christianity is helping them. I understand why they think that, but it would be nice if they would see that things like food, water, shelter, medicine, and education are far more important than beliefs. If you travel to an impoverished area and help the people out in a meaningful way without asking anything in return then I don't care what your motives are. If, however, you travel to such an area and all you do is tell them to convert to your religion or if you only give out aid to those willing to do what you want, then I have a problem because at that point you're not really helping anyone.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

gameguy6700

How exactly is translating the bible into native languages an "amazing thing" for the people of that region? It's only a great thing if you're already Christian and thus believe that you're helping them by converting them. To everyone else it's an extremely trivial gesture.

I don't mean to cherry pick statements. Certainly giving medical care and aiding agriculture is a noble cause, it's just that I hate it when Christians talk as if merely converting people to Christianity is helping them. I understand why they think that, but it would be nice if they would see that things like food, water, shelter, medicine, and education are far more important than beliefs. If you travel to an impoverished area and help the people out in a meaningful way without asking anything in return then I don't care what your motives are. If, however, you travel to such an area and all you do is tell them to convert to your religion or if you only give out aid to those willing to do what you want, then I have a problem because at that point you're not really helping anyone.

I completely see your point.  Most of the missionaries I mention do a lot more than just convert people but completely rebuild their lives physically and spiritually.  They not only build houses but teach the people how to build houses.  They not only give these people clean water but they teach the people how to obtain fresh and clean water.  Spreading the Gospel message is a huge part of what they do, but helping them out in every way is their goal, spreading the love of Christ.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
As long as they aren't discriminating with who gets the food (heathens vs proselytes), I don't see the problem. Young marriage isn't exactly a bizarre custom outside of the West, if I remember correctly, rape is a major cause of AIDS and unwanted pregnancies, and non-latex condoms have been around for centuries (Please don't ask me how they made condoms in the Middle Ages :x).
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
(Please don't ask me how they made condoms in the Middle Ages :x).Welkabonz
Sheep guts. And if you think you're suffering, imagine how the woman felt ;)