Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

As some of you may know, there is a controversy over a government display of the ten commandments in a government park in Utah.  There was a court case decided today that said they were not forced to let a different kind of church put up a similar display.  Now you may see this being touted as a supreme victory in this unanimous case and the ten commandments are now free to be posted anywhere and exclusively on thier own.......well no.  The court decision just said they weren't forced to erect the second monument.  In fact this case had nothing to do with taking the 10C down. 

Now I am not overly excited with the new categorization of "government speech" which is somehow stated to be immune to the establishment clause.  As far as I can tell it completely subverts it.  But in the judgement it was stated that government should have other similar monuments around it to dilute the impression of pushing an agenda, but they weren't going to be forced to just take any that was offered.  Also the judgement stated the government should lose when the character is in question. 

Here is an article that explains it a little bit better than what you might have read elsewhere.

http://www.au.org/site/News2?abbr=pr&page=NewsArticle&id=10329&security=1002&news_iv_ctrl=1241

And the exact words of the court

http://www.aclj.org/media/pdf/ACLJ_PleasantGroveUSSCDecision07-665.pdf?email=commit11@verizon.net&guid=CDDCDC93-F69D-412A-89C8-389A2E2EA6A2

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Well, at least the Ten Commandments were taken down (not that I really have a problem with it).
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sitri_

Well, at least the Ten Commandments were taken down (not that I really have a problem with it).helium_flash

No that case wasn't about the 10c coming down, that was about another similar religious artifact going up.  However if you read some other articles about this, they will claim this was about the 10c coming down.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sitri_

hahahha

FSM statue errected at court house.

http://laughingsquid.com/flying-spaghetti-monster-statue-outside-of-tennessee-courthouse/

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]Well, at least the Ten Commandments were taken down (not that I really have a problem with it).Sitri_

No that case wasn't about the 10c coming down, that was about another similar religious artifact going up.  However if you read some other articles about this, they will claim this was about the 10c coming down.

Yeah it was about not letting other religious artifacts going up, so in response didn't they have to take the 10c down?
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sitri_

Yeah it was about not letting other religious artifacts going up, so in response didn't they have to take the 10c down?helium_flash

As I understand it that wasn't even what the case was about.  The case was the church of Subawatever suing the state for refusing to put up their monument next to the 10 C.  It wasn't even before the court that the 10 C come down.  But I have read in another article "It's a significant decision that clears the way for government to express its views and its history through the selection of monuments - including religious monuments and displays.  This decision also puts a bookend on the litigation surrounding the display of the Ten Commandments that's been taking place for years across the country."  Needless to say this article on a christian agenda site, tries to make it soundlike the case was about the 10 C coming down.