Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

Idk. I think sexual attraction relies heavily on psychological factors and factors which were at work in the up-bringing of a person; perhaps subliminal messages at the time he/she was a baby or very very young (and no, those messages do not include messages that mean "homosexuality is fine" which makes it acceptable and therefore it can be a choice, which is not).Teenaged

I would agree with this also.  I think both genes and memes play a role.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#52 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Still though, homosexuality also entails love for the same sex, not just sexual attraction. Is love something gene-driven? Or generally driven by any other biological factor?Sitri_

I would say our general type love is genetic in that genes which favored traits like reciprocal altruism and kinship altruism manifest it.  The type of love which favors a gender is a sexual attraction type love as far as I can see it, which I, like Btaylor, think is also probably genetic to some degree. 

Your right, I should have put to some degree.  I think there are people who are 100% homosexual and it's genetics, but other factors play a part in some cases.

dallbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 dallbowl
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts
[QUOTE="Sitri_"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Still though, homosexuality also entails love for the same sex, not just sexual attraction. Is love something gene-driven? Or generally driven by any other biological factor?btaylor2404

I would say our general type love is genetic in that genes which favored traits like reciprocal altruism and kinship altruism manifest it.  The type of love which favors a gender is a sexual attraction type love as far as I can see it, which I, like Btaylor, think is also probably genetic to some degree. 

Your right, I should have put to some degree.  I think there are people who are 100% homosexual and it's genetics, but other factors play a part in some cases.

I disagree. If it was all and only genetics in some cases then sexual orientation would be fixed before birth. Research by the APA and other research psychologists has thus far not found any one factor to be a sole determinate for sexual orientation (of course, that does not mean there is not one). Most agree on the 'nature' and 'nurture' factors being the most crucial in influencing sexual orientation.