RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I'm not talking about Israel here, I'm talking about Edgware!

Edgware is a suburb of North London, England (near where I live) and is one of a few areas in the UK with large Jewish communities. I have a friend who lives there and we walk our dogs around the local "green belt" land. "Green belt" status was given to the undeveloped areas around London in the 1970's that aimed to stop urban sprawl and provide a reliable way to preserve wildlife habitats. Consequently, it is almost impossible to get any sort of planning permission to change the use of Green belt land (unless you "know" someone).

Jewish Graves 

Recently, a group of synagogues applied for planning permission to extend their cemetery into fields my friend and I walk our dogs in. The planning permission was denied at a public hearing, where evidence came from various naturalists and other interested parties. It has now been steam-rollered through after an appeal was made to a government planning inspector.

I object, since I won't be allowed on the land (which is currently publicly accessible) because of the current security issues surrounding Judaism in England. The current cemetery (just like another, even larger one near me in Watford) have barbed wire fences to keep out vandals and public. There is also the heightened state of alertness at the moment with added security guards in high-viz vests outside most Synagogues and Jewish schools.

If Jewish people can't stand the prospect of being cremated, when and where will this land-grabbing end? Growing up on the out-skirts of London, I firmly hold "green belt" land as "sacred" to the common folk of England - ensuring that the character of our countryside is always nearby. 

Would you prefer to walk in the fields, or look at a load of granite slabs through a wire-mesh fence? Why should certain religious groups be given "rights" to land, based on an irrational need to be buried?

Â