How are you going to raise your children?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Are you going to shield your children when religion comes up? Are you going to talk about religion if it comes up? Are you going to be laissez-faire about it? Also, are you going to lie about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy to your children? When are you going to talk about sex?

Santa Claus

I'm going to apply a laissez-faire attitude on my children when it comes to these issues. If they ask me about it, I'll tell them the truth. If they don't accept it, fine, as long they don't act unruly and cause harm to them or someone else because of it. I'm pretty sure this will be the consensus among most of the members here, but it would be interesting what you have to say if it's different than that.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Are you going to shield your children when religion comes up? Are you going to talk about religion if it comes up? Are you going to be laissez-faire about it? Also, are you going to lie about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy to your children? When are you going to talk about sex? 

Genetic_Code

1. No, assuming that I stay a Muslim.

2. Because of #1, yes.

3. To some degree.

4. Nope.

5. When they're around 11-13 years old. 

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

1. No

2. No

3. No

4. No

5. Never

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Hypothetically if I were to have children I would play devils advocate with them and question any belief that they form (including atheistic ones). Hopefully the beliefs that they end up with will be rational and well supported ones because only those beliefs can withstand heavy scrutiny.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
1. I am going to teach my children about all religions and let them choose any that they feel is right for them. And be more than willing to answer any of their questions.

2. I will tell them those imaginary things are just that, but also tell them to respect other children and not let them know (too soon).

3. Before they hit puberty. There is never a "too early" to talk about sex. I will also encourage the use of protection and waiting until adulthood (solely that if they do get pregnant, they will have at least some means of raising the child, but I wouldn't be adverse to helping either).
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I probably won't have children, so the question is moot. :P

If I did, though, I don't see any reason why I'd dodge any issues with them.  Children from whom information on a subject is withheld begin to view it as having a "forbidden" mystique and begin to want to do anything in their power to find out more about it.  Conversely, I feel as though a child who knows entirely what sex, drugs, and all that is all about is much less likely to become a sex or a drug addict.  I'm not sure if I'd really raise the topic in a vacuum (I'd find it really super creepy if my parents had ever just randomly sat down and told me about sex), but if my kid either asked or got a significant other I'd tell them whatever they wanted or needed to know.

Same thing with religion, too: I feel as though telling your kids that this is definitely the way things are, and to stress that they ought not even consider anything else, will cause them to be only that much more likely to get completely wrapped up in what lies beyond the "DO NOT ENTER" sign, and will make them all that more likely to dive into it whole hog and get into something that will be ultimately destructive for their mental and spiritual health.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I will not force my children to be Christians but they sure will know what Christianity teaches.  Heck, I in-part jokingly and in-part seriously talk about how I wish to read portions of the Westminster Confession of Faith to my children as bedtime stories.

I have not yet decided how I will handle certain things like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.  I'd prefer to make up my mind with whomever I might be married with as opposed to come to a concrete decision beforehand.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RationalAtheist

I will not force my children to be Christians but they sure will know what Christianity teaches.  Heck, I in-part jokingly and in-part seriously talk about how I wish to read portions of the Westminster Confession of Faith to my children as bedtime stories.

I have not yet decided how I will handle certain things like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.  I'd prefer to make up my mind with whomever I might be married with as opposed to come to a concrete decision beforehand.

mindstorm

Of course you will force your children to be Christians. They are a captive flock for you. I remember you saying that it is difficult for you to speak about anything to anyone without bringing Christianity into it somehow. This environment is going to affect a child, who is unable to discriminate in their formative years.

People typically inherit the religious views of their parents. This is indoctrination and brainwashing in its most effective and unwavering form. (Are you reading this Android?) 

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

RationalAtheist

Of course you will force your children to be Christians. They are a captive flock for you. I remember you saying that it is difficult for you to speak about anything to anyone without bringing Christianity into it somehow. This environment is going to affect a child, who is unable to discriminate in their formative years.

People typically inherit the religious views of their parents. This is indoctrination and brainwashing in its most effective and unwavering form. (Are you reading this Android?) 

It's impossible to do otherwise.  To not "indoctrinate" your children is to never be around them.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GabuEx
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

RationalAtheist

By that logic it would seem to me that everyone who has children inevitably forces them to believe what they believe, unless they are parents in absentia and never talk or answer questions about anything at all.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox

RationalAtheist

Clearly this is false... considering how many families end up with children who chose any variety of faiths or non-faiths. At least when given a choice. Gabu was raised in a religiously apathetic home, he became a "Christian." I was raised in a semi-Christian/semi-apathetic home (no church or bible reading, but cultural rituals), and have become an atheist/Buddhist. A professor I had who was raised in a Protestant home, has a brother who is a Sikh.

It is only indoctrination when the child is not exposed, or allowed to be exposed to other ideas, and is forced to adhere to what the parents and community prescribe.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

foxhound_fox

Clearly this is false... considering how many families end up with children who chose any variety of faiths or non-faiths. At least when given a choice. Gabu was raised in a religiously apathetic home, he became a "Christian." I was raised in a semi-Christian/semi-apathetic home (no church or bible reading, but cultural rituals), and have become an atheist/Buddhist. A professor I had who was raised in a Protestant home, has a brother who is a Sikh.

It is only indoctrination when the child is not exposed, or allowed to be exposed to other ideas, and is forced to adhere to what the parents and community prescribe.

I am generalising - of course and your exceptions are valid. But it is unlikely for a Christian couple to have a Muslim baby, if you know what I'm saying. You do seem to like pigeon-holing Gabu's beliefs, don'tcha? Most people do at least begin by following their parents religious views. Also, moral outlooks, behaviours and political and philosophical views are also passed down in the family too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox
You do seem to like pigeon-holing Gabu's beliefs, don'tcha? RationalAtheist

His religious views fall most in line with Christianity. They may be unorthodox, but they are still Christian. I don't think I'm pigeon-holing his beliefs at all. Maybe I am generalizing them too greatly, but I think I've spent enough time talking to him, and reading his posts to have a fair understanding of what he believes. That and many of his non-religious beliefs fall in line with many of mine (i.e. that regards to free will), so I feel like I am also representing myself when I use him as an example.

Of course, if he wishes me to stop, or at least, if I have anything wrong, to correct me, then I'll be certain to do so.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GabuEx
I have no objection to being called a Christian; I feel that it's other Christians who would be the ones to object to the use of that term. :P
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RationalAtheist

@Foxhound,

I didn't mean to pick at you by using Gabu as a (shining) example - it's just that I remember you doing something similar before in OT!

Although valid, your personal experiences don't really justify an opposition to my generalisation. Your's and Gabu's up-bringings didn't seem particularly religiously framed and consequently you are both not particularly religious in the strict sense.

At the risk of sounding like an old man, there is also the youthful period of rebellion, investigation and identification of self and of belief that does tend to settle out as your hair goes grey/falls out.

I think that children have increasingly been able to access information independently of their parents' control, either through technology or education. This will hopefully reduce the attachment rate for hand-reared theists.

@Gabu, 

If you don't mind my asking, why don't you think you'll have children? I only ask, since I'm practically certain I won't have any.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

If my hypothetical children would ask me, sure, I would answer their questions (and I would definitely be better prepared for them than my own dad was). I don't think I have the right to shape their beliefs though. I do plan to read a lot of novels for them, which may or may not have an influence on their religious beliefs.

I would absolutely let them believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus and would play along. During my time as a substitute teacher in an elementary school I realised how important it is to show, not just tell when working with kids, so I wouldn't want them to miss out on the moment when they realize it's all a lie.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx

@Gabu, 

If you don't mind my asking, why don't you think you'll have children? I only ask, since I'm practically certain I won't have any.

RationalAtheist

Just realized I somehow missed this question.  It's pretty simple, really: I have no significant other, nor sufficient drive to find one, nor would I want kids even if I had one, as I don't feel that I'd make a very good father.  Too many other things I want to do in life.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15992 Posts
I'd be neutral about it until the kids were old enough to establish their own opinion about it. If one of them asked if I believed in God, I'd say that I don't believe, but I'd acknowledge the possibility that there might be one (or multiple ones). I wouldn't mind if my girlfriend/wife read them some scriptures from a holy book; just as long as she didn't punish them if they decided to believe otherwise.