deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Can an atheist hope for something? You may be wondering, "What does this have to do with atheism?", but the atheist cannot rely on merely praying or pleading a divine force to supercede what he is incapable of to do his or her work. Does hope entail something similar? Wordnet defines hope as being "the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled". Okay, so we know that hope doesn't ask something beyond our control to do something, but it is merely the thought that something desired shall be fulfilled, such as hoping for a better tomorrow. Now, where does this feeling come from? It is my belief that this belief comes from prior experience and expected occurences with, additionally, the strive for an individual to seek the goal. It is in this way, that hope can be used to promote good instead of being too dependent on the divine (which is, strictly speaking, blind chance described by theists as being "god"). Now, I'm curious to hear your opinions.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Well you can certainly desire that some state of affairs comes about without appealing to God. I suppose with atheism hope just comes with the additional belief that nothing (apart from yourself) will intervene to satisfy your desires.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
It is in this way, that hope can be used to promote good instead of being too dependent on the divine (which is, strictly speaking, blind chance described by theists as being "god"). Now, I'm curious to hear your opinions.Genetic_Code
My opinion is that I think you are making the same assumption that so many other atheists do, that to rely on a deity in any way shape or form, is a bad thing, and because it is, theists start out with some sort of character flaw. The vast majority of theists disagree with you. A theist might point out that an infant is entirely dependent on his/her parents (primarily the mother) for his/her survival, and that this is neither good or bad. It's simply necessary, since a human infant cannot survive without help. Necessity is nothing but that, necessity. There is no moral right or wrong on necessity. Another theist might say that what you call "being too dependent on the divine" is similar to a small child's trust in a parent, in the parent's love for the child, and in the acceptance that "even though I as a child don't get this, my father or mother does, and since he/she loves me above all, he/she will make sure that I am safe". I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would love to have this kind of discussion with you, but I want us to dispense with the value judgments first.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
We all can hope for things to happen but generally the list of things atheists can hope for is a tad shorter(or different) than theists.

Like most other concepts, "hope" has both good and bad sides but how it stands out is that positive side of hope out-weighs the negative side. From my experience most people do not live a life they are satisfied with. That's not to say their life is not pleasant but we always hope for things to get better. We always have expectations of a better tomorrow and lack of belief in god doesn't make this kind of expectations irrational. I think most people, irrespective of religious differences, would agree with me on this.
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Well, think of the aspects of optimism and pessimism, then compare it with a religous person's perspective. This is where the term "realist" may be employed.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiliDragon

Well, think of the aspects of optimism and pessimism, then compare it with a religous person's perspective. This is where the term "realist" may be employed.

Stryder1212
Ahem. Dispense with the value judgments? Hope is a desire for tomorrow to be better than today, and followed by a belief that it will actually happen. Whether it is the last thing that abandons us or not, I don't think it has to do with religious belief so much as it is human nature. We want there to be something better than this, and hope is what happens when you start believing that's possible. The difference between atheists and theists is in the why. A theist may think it will be better tomorrow because God looks after his children, an atheist may think it is because hard work pays off, but they are both in agreement that there is a good reason to hope for a better tomorrow. It's just that the reason for why that is is different for the two.
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts
[QUOTE="Stryder1212"]

ChiliDragon

Ahem. Dispense with the value judgments?

Sorry, I'm lazy. I was just looking at hope from a different, more psychological perspective.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]

Stryder1212

Ahem. Dispense with the value judgments?

Sorry, I'm lazy. I was just looking at hope from a different, more psychological perspective.

Ah, okay. From that point of view it makes a bit more sense.