helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I can't say I've ever "converted" (or led someone astray) from their religion, but I bet some of you have.  I just don't feel right prying into their lives and tearing what they know/believe into scraps for them to pick up.

More importantly, I'm not a very good debator.

So how about you all?  And for the believers here, have you ever converted anyone to your belief?

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

the term is "deconvert".

No I haven't converted anyone to my religion thus far. But I'm fairly confident that I started something

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Honestly, I hope not.  Make them question things yes, but I don't want to be responsible for someone else's belief system. Although I think I have had an effect on my brother, but he's 30 so he's responsible for his own decisions.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
I don't actively evangelize so if I have then it's not been on purpose.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I don't actively evangelize so if I have then it's not been on purpose.domatron23

Pretty much this response really.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I do not "evangelize".
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Although I don't like evangelising either, I will most certainly try to persuade people to not be absolute about their beliefs, because neither me or anyone else can be 100% sure.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Not that I know of.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

I make it a point for myself to not evangelise under any situation. I never do it in a crowd or in front of people whose religious stand point I know nothing about. This god topic only ever comes up through other discussions and I continue it only if the person is somewhat agnostic, at least. I never start talking about it just out of nowhere.

So I guess I'm not much of an evangelist and also don't remember converting anyone...

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
I have had multiple intellectual converts but I am not entirely sure about emotional ones.  EX:  Person admits that whatever idea I am saying has complete merit and veracity which contradicts their previous belief, admits the idea is powerful and scary to them, I never hear them later claim to be an atheist. 
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)Lansdowne5

For some reason I think you are playing a word game here.  ;)

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)Sitri_

Bingo... apparently it's the holy spirit that converts people. :roll:
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Sitri_"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)Funky_Llama

Is it? 

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 7guns
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)Lansdowne5

Is it? 

Isn't it?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)7guns

Is it? 

Isn't it?

The Holy Spirit doesn't "convert" people, that implies that the Holy Spirit is the one making the decision. The 'person' coverts themself, a better way of putting it would be that the person converted their beliefs. All that an evangelist does is spread the Truth, and the Good News. They're giving a person the option, not trying to 'convert' them.

God Bless :) 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Teenaged
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)Lansdowne5

Is it? 

Isn't it?

The Holy Spirit doesn't "convert" people, that implies that the Holy Spirit is the one making the decision. The 'person' coverts themself, a better way of putting it would be that the person converted their beliefs. All that an evangelist does is spread the Truth, and the Good News. They're giving a person the option, not trying to 'convert' them.

Playing with words again!
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

Is it? 

Isn't it?

That's right! holy spirit doesn't convert people and Sitri was right...

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]'I've' never converted anyone, and I don't intend too either. :)7guns

Is it? 

Isn't it?

That's right! holy spirit doesn't convert people and Sitri was right...

How am I playing with words??? I'm simply stating that I'm not the one who converts anyone. If I was, the person who ultimately converted wouldn't be the one making the decision, it would be me. 

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 7guns

How am I playing with words??? I'm simply stating that I'm not the one who converts anyone. If I was, the person who ultimately converted wouldn't be the one making the decision, it would be me. 

Lansdowne5

I get it. For someone to become christian one has to take an oath, touching the bible, before witnesses. Correct?:roll: .  But he probably didn't come all this way just by himself. Once you have already convinced someone of the exixtence of god, there may not be much use of freewill.

FYI, we've been down this road in the past : LINK

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

7guns

I get it. For someone to become christian one has to take an oath, touching the bible, before witnesses. Correct?:roll: .  But he probably didn't come all this way just by himself. Once you have already convinced someone of the exixtence of god, there may not be much use of freewill.

Enough with the eyes. :shock:

For someone to become a Christian, that is a personal decision. Regardless of whether someone actually helps them to see the Truth of God, at the end of the day the person themself is wholly in control of what they do, or don't believe. To accept that God exists is exercising free will, to dismiss his existence is also using free will. 

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

For someone to become a Christian, that is a personal decision. Regardless of whether someone actually helps them to see the Truth of God, at the end of the day the person themself is wholly in control of what they do, or don't believe. To accept that God exists is exercising free will, to dismiss his existence is also using free will. 

Once you throw an apple on someone's nose and make him eat it and then if he says apple doesn't exist and that he doesn't know what an apple is, would you you accept his answer? Or even better, will he ever say that in the first place?

But when you say that he can chose to not believe in god even after you show him to god, are you not acknowledging that god is not as real as an apple?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
My mom used to not go to church, but I actually got her to go to church sometime when I was a Christian if that counts.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
Mmm, no I don't think I've ever converted anyone, although I love challenging peoples' beliefs. :P
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

7guns

Once you throw an apple on someone's nose and make him eat it and then if he says apple doesn't exist and that he doesn't know what an apple is, would you you accept his answer? Or even better, will he ever say that in the first place?

But when you say that he can chose to not believe in god even after you show him to god, are you not acknowledging that god is not as real as an apple?

That's a very bizzare example. But anyway, where do you suppose we draw the line?

You could say something to someone, which might make them seriously consider their belief, even to the extent of them changing it. But is that 'you' converting them? What someone decides to follow is their choice. When they change what they follow, you can't pin that decision on anyone but the person. Regardless of what someone else has said to them, the ultimate decision is theirs. 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teenaged
Well when I saw 7guns (I think it was him) saying "convert" it was clear for me that he meant "you play a major role in his/her convertion", in other words, since you initiate this "planting the seed" thing, practicaly, without you the convertion wouldn't be possible. That's why I say you're playing with words. You choose to see the extreme case of the word in what 7guns wrote so that you may have to defend your belief and seem attacked. But that's just my opinion. :)
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 7guns

That's a very bizzare example. But anyway, where do you suppose we draw the line?

You could say something to someone, which might make them seriously consider their belief, even to the extent of them changing it. But is that 'you' converting them? What someone decides to follow is their choice. When they change what they follow, you can't pin that decision on anyone but the person. Regardless of what someone else has said to them, the ultimate decision is theirs. 

Lansdowne5

Well.....what you just described is a bit of a mind-game. I agree it's not you who converts others. People convert themselves, but only in the sense that they make the final declaration.

Also I would like to point out that I don't think all who converts only do it with the help of someone like yourself. It's also possible for people to convert with much less encouragement.

But with someone as relentless like yourself to hold their hand every step of the way, I would hardly give any credit to to person who converted...

Thanks Teenage for the clarification...

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

7guns

Well.....what you just described is a bit of a mind-game. I agree it's not you who converts others. People convert themselves, but only in the sense that they make the final declaration.

Also I would like to point out that I don't think all who converts only do it with the help of someone like yourself. It's also possible for people to convert with much less encouragement.

But with someone as relentless like yourself to hold their hand every step of the way, I would hardly give any credit to to person who converted...

I don't agree with your opinion on this, but anyway, I will say just one more thing on the subject. :)

For someone to truly convert their belief, all on their own, they would need to be completely cut off from all sources of information. That's the only way they could change their belief, according to your standards, without the input of someone else to "sway" their opinion.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

I don't agree with your opinion on this, but anyway, I will say just one more thing on the subject. :)

For someone to truly convert their belief, all on their own, they would need to be completely cut off from all sources of information. That's the only way they could change their belief, according to your standards, without the input of someone else to "sway" their opinion.

When I said "much less encouragement" I didn't exactly mean "no encouragement"... 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
No, but then again that's not my goal.
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

I'm actually proud to say that I have. A good friend of mine was Roman Catholic. We argued every so often about religion, and eventually we reached an agreement. I would read a book about religion's benefits (Gift of Faith or something), and he would read Atheist Univese.

The book I read didn't affect my atheistic beliefs as it was just short story after shorty story concerning the Catholic god's "miracles". But my friend finished Atheist Universe as well, an atheist. He told me the book dismantled his beliefs, and had confessed his faith was based on the way he was raised (strict Catholic parents).

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

7guns

When I said "much less encouragement" I didn't exactly mean "no encouragement"... 

This debate you two are having is really petty.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
I don't attempt to as I don't see the point. People believe what they're going to believe, and I don't presume to know what is true belief over another, and see extreme arrogance from those who claim they do. It's fun to follow debates though.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I don't think I've ever seriously tried to convert someone to Atheism.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15992 Posts
If I've done it then I'm not aware of it. I'm against trying to convert someone because I'm not always right. Thinking I'm always right is just as stupid as thinking that I'm always wrong.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

No, nor have I ever tried to.  As far as I'm concerned, I've got no right trying to change people. 

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Oh, yeah, definitely. I remember this one guy who always had to pretend he wasn't pitching a tent when he saw me, so I--

Wait, you mean religious conversions?

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Funky_Llama

Oh, yeah, definitely. I remember this one guy who always had to pretend he wasn't pitching a tent when he saw me, so I--

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Theokhoth
Bad Theokhoth! No! :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Teenaged

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Theokhoth
Ahahahaha :lol: That was amusing... :lol: "pitching a tent".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wanna hear how this line goes on "...he saw me, so I...." ?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Teenaged
Ahahahaha :lol: That was amusing... :lol: "pitching a tent".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree. Tell us moar. >_>
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dark_Knight6

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Theokhoth

:lol:  Pitching a tent?  I'm so going to use that.  

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Forerunner-117
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Funky_Llama

Yeah, don't leave us hanging. :x

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Dark_Knight6

Religious conversion > wang-related euphemisms = best derailment ever. >_>
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Forerunner-117

Heh. I see what you did there.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dark_Knight6

Religious conversion > wang-related euphemisms = best derailment ever. >_>Funky_Llama

Definitely.  :P  Kudos, Theokhoth.  :P

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Religious conversion > wang-related euphemisms = best derailment ever. >_>Dark_Knight6

Definitely.  :P  Kudos, Theokhoth.  :P

Gimli says: "Nobody panic! It was deliberate... it was deliberate!"
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Funky_Llama

Now, when you say "wang," do you mean it in that butchered British sense that you used before or do you mean it in the real use of the word? >_>

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Theokhoth

Now, when you say "wang," do you mean it in that butchered British sense that you used before or do you mean it in the real use of the word? >_>

Depends, what is the real sense of the word? >_> :P
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Forerunner-117
[QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Oh.

Nevermind, then.

Funky_Llama

Heh. I see what you did there.

:lol: Very perceptive!