dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15992 Posts

Cults often have some secret teachings that are not talked about until they've already got you dedicated/forced to following their doctrines. Muslims, hindus, jews and christians are open to discussing anything that their holy books say. On the other hand, you'll never hear a scientologist talk about soul filled volcanoes. Another thing about cults is that they have no shame in going after children.

Cults are usually defined as a small group of people that follow a set of doctrines, but is there something more that makes a cult a cult? When do you think that a cult becomes a religion? (if ever)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
A single, charismatic leader usually separates cults from religions.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I think the biggest difference between a "religion" and a "cult" is how much of an "us vs them" mentality they have. If the official doctrine of the faith sees outsiders as a threat of any kind, until they agree to join, then I'd say it's a cult.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

The biggest difference that I can see between a cult and a religion is the number of adherents. Cults tend to be small and out of the ordinary whereas religions are large and accepted as a normal part of society.

And I have to be honest here but whenever I hear anyone try to define the features of a cult I immediately recognise that feature in some major world religion. Targeting children: Jesus Camp. A single charismatic leader: The Pope, This guy from NZ. An "Us vs them mentality": some of the junk in corinthians about hanging out with non-believers. A willingness to use psychological manipulation to gain converts: That's religion in a nutshell.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I tend to differentiate the two based on the extent to which the belief system in question is open to the outside world.  When those who don't belong to it can easily acquire for their info the full extent of the main points of the belief system, and when those who are members can freely associate with those who aren't on a friendly level (i.e., not just in the context of converting someone), I would find it hard to call that a cult.  On the other hand, if the group of followers are very secretive, if it's difficult to figure out just what they believe or if they purposefully try to hide some part of what they believe, and if followers are actively encouraged to sever all ties to the outside world of those who are not also followers, then I would find it hard not to call that a cult.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I think the only difference has to do with connotation. 

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts
I believe the difference is all in "success".
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#8 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
I believe the difference is all in "success".RationalAtheist
That is pretty spot on I think.