foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If anyone remembers by thread on Zoroastrianism, and how I asked the union about its knowledge about a specific tradition and then later added in a summary of my research about it, in a simplified manner that (hopefully) helped increase the union's knowledge about that specific tradition.

Now I am doing it again, but this time with Gnosticism, a tradition that I've heard is looked very much down upon in "mainstream" Christian thought and has many ideas that very much intrigue me about early Christian development, especially regarding the Demiurge and an "imperfect" creator.

So TAU, I ask you, what do you know about Gnosticism? And if you have heard something and are interested in knowing more, what would you like me to cover in my research and deliver in a later post?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Despite it being obviously related to my area of theological interest, I must sheepishly admit that I know very little about it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Isn't that the belief that knowledge is gained through God? That's what I remember and it seems to make sense that it would be the opposite of agnosticism, since the prefix 'a' is removed. That is all that I've heard about it. I've also heard about the Gnostic Gospels which support unorthodox views of Jesus.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
The basic notion that I have is that the gnostics wrote a bunch of texts about Jesus and other Biblical figures around the second third and fourth Century and that these texts were not included in the canon of the New Testament. I'm not too sure about the particulars of their beliefs although given that they are called the Gnostics I would imagine it would have something to do with the position that God is knowable.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I've had to study the Gnostic movement within the early church and about its modern equivalent a good bit actually, I just rarely use the terminology here being that most would have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Christian Gnosticism, as I understand it, is essentially Greek philosophy merged with Christianity.  The version of the early church (250-400 AD especially) claimed to have a "secret knowledge."  Gnosticism is a complex philosophical system for understanding Christianity that contradicts some essential Christian teachings in favor of promoting its false ideology.

One component of Gnosticism is that all matter, the "flesh," is evil while spiritual things are good.  While there is a component of truth to this (though in no way this simple), they take it to the extreme.  As a result, the physical body of Jesus is denied (because a good God cannot take on evil flesh) and the goal of life is to leave this physical body in favor of a nonphysical, spiritual body. 

Elements of this are still within the church as we so easily forget the fact that Jesus was indeed a human that ate, drank, and joked.  Not only that but the Gnostic-influenced church has completely forgotten about the resurrection of the dead.  All who are saved by the grace of God, not merely by possessing a certain knowledge, will gain new perfect, physical and yet spiritual bodies.

Essentially, the biggest influence I see that Gnosticism (at least, as I understand it) has had on modern Christianity is making heaven the goal.  Heaven is not the goal, God himself is.  Not only that but heaven is not our final destination, the recreated earth will be.  The physical heaven is not to be our permanent dwelling, our recreated and sinless "heavenly" earth will be.

But yes, Foxhound, I do no think highly of this belief as you say many Christians do.  Christian Gnosticism very much would be considered herecy by the vast majority of those within the orthodox church over the last 2000 years.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#6 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
I know so much about it to the point that I thought this thread was on agnosticism when I saw the title.:lol:.....:|
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Isn't that the belief that knowledge is gained through God? That's what I remember and it seems to make sense that it would be the opposite of agnosticism, since the prefix 'a' is removed. That is all that I've heard about it. I've also heard about the Gnostic Gospels which support unorthodox views of Jesus.Genetic_Code

I'd be interested in an exploration of gnosticism in a context that relates to agnosticism too. Perhaps there are two sorts of "gnosticism" - one Christian and the other generalist.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

The only thing I know about that word is that it refers to the state where one is when they are either gnostic theists or gnostic atheists.

But from the looks of other posts here I gess thats not what was meant. :P

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I know so much about it to the point that I thought this thread was on agnosticism when I saw the title.:lol:.....:|Gambler_3

They both originate from the same word gnosis meaning knowledge.  I cannot think of any other similarities however. :P

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15993 Posts
I believe it has something to do with texts that christians regard as heretical. There's the incomplete gospel of Judas Iscariot, the gospel of Mary and the gospel of Thomas. I think the gospel of Thomas is rejected because it was allegedly written in a time where the apostle Thomas could not have possibly written it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I've started one of the introductory texts that I took out from the library today and am finding the tradition a little boring, and less interesting than I thought... though, its far more interesting than actual early Christian history, given that so many "canonical" Christian writers called most of these people heretics, despite them having a particularly unique look at God and creation.

Gnosticism is explained in the text as a combination of Platonism philosophy and Christian Jewish interpretations of apocalyptic texts, along with some unique ideas. For instance, many Gnostic schools put God as the supreme being, and his angels are the ones who have created the material universe, and are purposefully put human souls into material bodies in order to keep them from God (or returning the "divine spark" to God, which was given to them during creation). Also, other schools see the Devil/Satan as the guy who inspires all physical pleasures and gives people reason to remain in the physical universe, being constantly reborn in physical bodies.

Its pretty interesting given the constant fight against it by the early "mainstream" church. And "Gnostic" is a term that applies to religious traditions that believe they have had "divine knowledge" (either of God, or of the reason behind human existence) has been revealed to humanity through prophets who work for God (i.e. Christ).

I have to admit, I don't think I have the interest right now to really get full on into this, but I will keep it on the back burner while I read about ancient Mesopotamian religion and works on the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

The only thing I know about that word is that it refers to the state where one is when they are either gnostic theists or gnostic atheists.

But from the looks of other posts here I gess thats not what was meant. :P

Teenaged

That's what I thought too.Â