Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Here is a youtube link.

So my question is, do you feel Islam is a thread to Western society, and if it is, what should we do about it?

I personally actually believe that Islam is relatively assimilated in the United States compared to what I hear about in Europe.  How about you all?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

Nah, this verse reassures me.

"O disbelievers. I worship not that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I shall not worship that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion."

In the last two pages of teh quran apparently.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15992 Posts

Nah, this verse reassures me.

"O disbelievers. I worship not that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I shall not worship that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion."

In the last two pages of teh quran apparently.

Modern day followers are masters of twisting and tap dancing around scriptures that they don't like. Holding on to one verse is the equivalent of trying to drain an ocean with a tea spoon.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Not in the least bit.  Islam to me, and many may find this offensive, but reading the Quran several times it is, like the Bible clearly written in it's time.  The problem is many of it's followers long for the early days of Islam.  There is a large portion, percentages I couldn't even guess, that want things the way they were after the Crusades or during the "Golden Age of Islam", anywhere from the 8th to the 15th centuries depending on who you ask or read. The Islamic countries flourished in all regards, math, science, writing, building, ect. Islam today seems to lack an identity.  It has no Islamic Nation it can hold up as a standard barer for the world, it's fanatics are convinced we need to go back in time, and it's progressives are undermined by the louder fanatics.  Living in the South, Islam in a way reminds me of all those here that run around with Confederate flags everywhere, longing for the 1800's and feeling somehow cheated that they didn't get their fair share.  Again that may be harsh, but reading Islamic writers, and having several close Muslim friends, one who is an investment banker, but cannot treat his wife like she is a even human, and being torn between the real world in the US and the Quran.

Make no mistake, the Middle East has not been treated fairly by the worlds powers in the last hundred years, but it doesn't fully excuse it's dominate religion from now holding it back.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

I watched the video and it very disturbing. I have no idea how anyone in their right mind would want to give the world more reasons to dislike them... These muslim's are doing it all wrong. They need to realize the are not going to make friends this way. It seems they cannot see that their actions are only making people dislike them, whereas it should be the opposite!

They know very well the kind of effect that follows their actions.  If they keep this up it sends a clear message that they do not want to integrate with the rest of the world, rather they'd have things the way they like even it it threatens the integrity of an already existing social system.

So my answer is No... I'm not threatened because they won't be successful. But I think the situation will get worse with time...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I consider Islam to be a threat, for the most part, or at least, fanatical Islam.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 helium_flash

I consider Islam to be a threat, for the most part, or at least, fanatical Islam.Genetic_Code
Why do you believe that?

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts
I don't feel threatened by Islam, but I do by fundamentalism. It worries me how so many people can reject science in favour of scripture.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Not Islam itself, but I do by Islamic extremists.

God, I can't express how much I despise them.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 7guns

Not Islam itself, but I do by Islamic extremists.

MetalGear_Ninty

Yes, I can relate to that...

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 helium_flash

I don't feel threatened by Islam, but I do by fundamentalism. It worries me how so many people can reject science in favour of scripture. _glatisant_
Good point.  Fundamentialists of any religion really pose a threat to atheism.

I'd say that Islamic extremists pose the greatest thread in this day and age.  Freedom of religion and freedom of speech I'd say are extremely important to freethinkers.  These Muslims go against both of these.  They are an intolerant bunch and it would be best if they were eradicated to preserve what we hold dear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]I consider Islam to be a threat, for the most part, or at least, fanatical Islam.helium_flash

Why do you believe that?

Because anyone who clings to a concept to justify suicide bombings is a threat. Well, I shouldn't blame Islam as much as I should blame those particular Muslims who think that way.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

but I do by Islamic extremists.

MetalGear_Ninty
They're that especially annoying kind of idiot: too stupid to realise how stupid they are.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 helium_flash
Nah, not relevant really... :P I'll delete that shortly.Teenaged
Delete what? :x
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Nah, not relevant really... :P I'll delete that shortly.helium_flash

The whole union.. what else? .................... :P

I had written something somewhat relevant but it had to do more with politics of Turkey not their religion, anyway. So I edited it first so that anyone who has read it will know that I intend on deleting the whole post; which I did right now. :)

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

threatend is kinda the wrong word. Annoyed would describe my feeling a little better.

I am annoyed that they get more right and privileges that anyone else in this county, I am annoyed that they are starting to push their religion onto people, I am annyed by the way their treat their own wifes and doughters, I am annoyed that more and more countrys in europe are giving them special right and suppressing the free speach of other people so that they won't hurt their feelings beacose of the **** that is called political correctness which I downright dispise, I am annoyed that the media is ignoring this issues. Muslims throwing things at peacefull pro-israeli protesters and then the pro-israeli people having to leave, despite them having a permit and not one single muslim getting arrested is disgracefull and shouldn't be happening. but it still is.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 helium_flash

[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]Nah, not relevant really... :P I'll delete that shortly.Teenaged

I had written something somewhat relevant but it had to do more with politics of Turkey not their religion, anyway. So I edited it first so that anyone who has read it will know that I intend on deleting the whole post; which I did right now. :)

I lived in Turkey when I was 3 and 4 :P.

Were you talking about the Islam party and how Turkey is getting more intolerant?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]Nah, not relevant really... :P I'll delete that shortly.helium_flash

I lived in Turkey when I was 3 and 4 :P.

Were you talking about the Islam party and how Turkey is getting more intolerant?

No. It's about some historical facts concerning how Greeks were driven away from Smyrne (now Izmir) by the then Turks. It's just that the books of History in elementary schools in Greece were rewritten and the whole issue was toned down a bit so as to promote good relationships. And that decision I know didn't come from Greece alone; Turkey must have pressed on for this.

I just believe that amnesty between nations and "amnesia" of historical facts are entirely different things.

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

[QUOTE="_glatisant_"]I don't feel threatened by Islam, but I do by fundamentalism. It worries me how so many people can reject science in favour of scripture. helium_flash

Good point. Fundamentialists of any religion really pose a threat to atheism.

I'd say that Islamic extremists pose the greatest thread in this day and age. Freedom of religion and freedom of speech I'd say are extremely important to freethinkers. These Muslims go against both of these. They are an intolerant bunch and it would be best if they were eradicated to preserve what we hold dear.

True, but I don't think there is anything inherent about islamic fundamentalism that makes this the case, just the political climate etc.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

I fear they're way too sensitive.

They get in an uproar whenever someone says the slightest thing against them, but say the same things back to other beliefs and think it's perfectly okay.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

No. Muslims are fine; if they weren't, then we'd be in big problems as there are currently two million of them in the US.

It's extremists of any variety that are the threat.

Ratfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Ratfuzz
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

No. Muslims are fine; if they weren't, then we'd be in big problems as there are currently two million of them in the US.

GabuEx

If you think about it, two million is not a very big number.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Ratfuzz

If every single one of them was a terrorist hell-bent on the destruction of America, I think you'd find that it's a rather substantial number indeed. :P

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 helium_flash
[QUOTE="Ratfuzz"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

If every single one of them was a terrorist hell-bent on the destruction of America, I think you'd find that it's a rather substantial number indeed. :P

I'm talking more about Islam a threat to Western Civilization, not a literal threat to every person.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
No, not by the religion itself. Maybe by some of the religion's followers - terrorists and extremists, etc, but certainly not by the religion.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GabuEx

I'm talking more about Islam a threat to Western Civilization, not a literal threat to every person.helium_flash

If something could potentially cause the downfall of Western Civilization, that would definitely be a threat to every person, no?

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 helium_flash

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]I'm talking more about Islam a threat to Western Civilization, not a literal threat to every person.GabuEx

If something could potentially cause the downfall of Western Civilization, that would definitely be a threat to every person, no?

It would be a threat to our values, but not like a gun pointed to our head.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GabuEx

It would be a threat to our values, but not like a gun pointed to our head.helium_flash

Well, what do you mean by "a threat to Western Civilization", then?  That we'd be assimilated into the Muslim community, or something like that?

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 helium_flash

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]It would be a threat to our values, but not like a gun pointed to our head.GabuEx

Well, what do you mean by "a threat to Western Civilization", then?  That we'd be assimilated into the Muslim community, or something like that?

Like I said, a threat to our values, such as freedom of speech and press, and freedom of religion, among some others.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
No. Islam itself is not a threat, just the people who take it out of context. The same goes for every other religion.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

Naaa just ask snopes the great debunker of myths.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/muslimprotest.asp

......wait a minute.

Also search "fitna the movie."  It is pretty graphic so I don't want to link it.  It is about 17 min long and well worth checking out.

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

......wait a minute.

Sitri_

I realy want people like that put on the first plane to wherever the hell they came from and baned from being ever alowed back in. I have no problems with muslims, but i do have problems with people like this. If you don't like it here, well gtfo back to whatever **** you came from. Sure criticising the goverment is o.k., but that is hate speach not criticism.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Sitri_"]

......wait a minute.

Enosh88

I realy want people like that put on the first plane to wherever the hell they came from and baned from being ever alowed back in. I have no problems with muslims, but i do have problems with people like this. If you don't like it here, well gtfo back to whatever **** you came from. Sure criticising the goverment is o.k., but that is hate speach not criticism.

This is aweful and disheartening. I just clicked on the link....
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#35 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I'd have to say the citizens of that town are very "understanding" people.  Don't know about you Sitri_, or any of you other people who live here in the South, or most parts of the US for that matter.  That BS wouldn't fly here. 
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 helium_flash
I'd have to say the citizens of that town are very "understanding" people.  Don't know about you Sitri_, or any of you other people who live here in the South, or most parts of the US for that matter.  That BS wouldn't fly here.  btaylor2404
I would find it rather funny if they tried to do that here :lol:. It would last maybe 15 minutes.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

It is not the religion of Islam I find troubling but the political practice of Islam. When religion, any religion, is enforced by law, taught in schools, and used as the basis of the justice system of a nation, it threatens the freedom of people to live outside of that religion's influence.

-

One of the dangers facing democracy is that any widely-held belief can be codified into law by popularity, the protections afforded to minority-beliefs died long ago.

-

-

If you mean "Are you afraid Muslims will violently conquer free nations" - then no, I'm not concerned. If you mean "do you worry about mainstream religions enforcing their beliefs via law" then yes, I hold that fear. We already see that in the US in the form of gay marriage and abortion laws.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sitri_
It has been said many times that "it is the people who take it too extremes rather than the religion that is the problem."  Isn't that a touch like saying "antisemitism isn't a problem, it is the people who hurt people because it."  Ideas and beliefs are actions in potential.  I do not believe at all in censoring ideas, but I am willing to call a spade a spade when looking at the roots of a real problem. I think almost all religions breed negative consequences, but this one even more than others.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

......wait a minute.

Also search "fitna the movie." It is pretty graphic so I don't want to link it. It is about 17 min long and well worth checking out.

Sitri_
I don't know about US media, but here in the UK those images were all over BBC news for days during the protests.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sitri_

I don't know about US media, but here in the UK those images were all over BBC news for days during the protests.MetalGear_Ninty

I read about them in a couple books, but I personally never saw them in the media.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Sitri_"]

......wait a minute.

Also search "fitna the movie." It is pretty graphic so I don't want to link it. It is about 17 min long and well worth checking out.

MetalGear_Ninty
I don't know about US media, but here in the UK those images were all over BBC news for days during the protests.

'Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion'. Ah, that one was a classic. :P
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 helium_flash
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

......wait a minute.

Funky_Llama

'Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion'. Ah, that one was a classic. :P

Honestly when I first saw that I thought it was photoshopped because IRL self-ownage on such a level is quite rare.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sitri_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b0QKO1rJQ&NR=1

Look at these sideways talking threats to humanity trying to avoid a basic question.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
That video was alittle disturbing I really don't care to tell you the truth. (Not trying to sound mean) But I have been threated and beat up by alot of people and I don't care so really yeah I would be threatened.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 7guns

I don't know how many of you've been to this website www.onelawforallpetition.com, but check it out anyway. Islam is officially a threat in UK and this is one of the vividest example that a lot of people all around the world feels the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b0QKO1rJQ&NR=1

Look at these sideways talking threats to humanity trying to avoid a basic question.

Sitri_

I think the part where Richard Dawkins asks about the punishment of apostasy, is one of his finer moments on TV.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 subrosian
Which is exactly the point I made earlier - political Islam is where the danger lies. In Islamic nations, sexism, murder, racism, c1assism, etc are all celebrated in the name of peaceful religious practice. Apostasy being punished by death in minor compared to the attrocities that occur when a nation is run by the laws of a religious text.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 7guns

Which is exactly the point I made earlier - political Islam is where the danger lies. In Islamic nations, sexism, murder, racism, c1assism, etc are all celebrated in the name of peaceful religious practice. Apostasy being punished by death in minor compared to the attrocities that occur when a nation is run by the laws of a religious text.subrosian

The thing about apostasy is not really that it gives some fundies another ludicrous reason to kill. The thing is it doesn't allow freedom of religion. Because it's not really freedom if somebody is given the chance to reject islam only to be killed as a punishment for doing the very same thing he was allowed to do.

This is what they are actually saying:

"Sure, you canreject islam. No one will stop you. You have freewill, use it if you like. But if you DO in fact reject islam, we'll consider it a crime and as a measure of punishment you will be punishable by death.

The important thing to notice here is that our justice system works the same way and in that context the sentence will be like this:

"You cannnotkill people. We will stop you. But if you DO manage to kill people, we'll consider it first degree murder and as a measure of punishment you will be sentenced to death.

There are two differences I see here. One is hypocritical unlike the other one. The same hypocritical sentence is allowing killing over a totally ludicrous reason.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 subrosian

The purpose of government is to have a monopoly on violence - so one of the tasks of any government is, yes, to kill people. My main point is that the RELIGION of Islam is not the primary concern, it's the POLITICAL system. A religion with no political power cannot get away with killing people - in nations that lack "political Islam" it would be impossible to enforce a death sentence for apostasy.

However this *one act* isn't the problem - the root problem is that we have nations where the law of the land is a religious text - those nations are not free. Nations living under Islam have made religious slaves of every "citizen".

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sitri_

The purpose of government is to have a monopoly on violence - so one of the tasks of any government is, yes, to kill people. My main point is that the RELIGION of Islam is not the primary concern, it's the POLITICAL system. A religion with no political power cannot get away with killing people - in nations that lack "political Islam" it would be impossible to enforce a death sentence for apostasy.

However this *one act* isn't the problem - the root problem is that we have nations where the law of the land is a religious text - those nations are not free. Nations living under Islam have made religious slaves of every "citizen".

subrosian

The root of the problem is the religion which manifest the most grotesquely when empowered by the government.  Just this month a muslim man in New York beheaded his wife for serving him with divorce papers.  Sure this "could" have happened with anyone, but the method of murder strongly suggest his religion held influence.  The crimes are all still condoned in the texts, just as they are in the bible, and the "true" muslim, christian, jew, whatever, answers to god's law first and man's law second.   Letting religious abominations hide under the ever popular PC explanation of "those people were fanatics and don't really represent the religion" is dishonest and counterproductive as far as I see it.

Sorry if it sounded like I was picking on you, several people have said similar things here and it has been simmering for me.

Â