Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
Why is it popular for some atheist to condescend to other famous atheists?  Don't get me wrong, I have written critiques about several arguments in The God Delusion, but those are just about certain ideas, what I am talking about here is the wholesale dismissal of works or people themselves that hold a significant atheist influence.  Are such wholesale and simple dismissals the result of a desire to try and seem "better" (primarily to the opposition)? Is it the reaction of counter-cultural people feeling without a cause when the winds change to favor them?  Is it an attempt to steal kleos?  What is the motivation to so superficially slander a figurehead of a minority group of which you belong?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Didn't you know. It's cool to hate popular and influential stuff.

"The Dark Knight was soooo overrated"

"Final Fantasy 7 was crap"

"The Ocarina of Time wasn't even that good of a game"

"The God Delusion was a bunch of bollocks"

"Man I'm so awesome and trendy"

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sitri_

"The Dark Knight was soooo overrated"

I was nurse Joker for halloween.

"Final Fantasy 7 was crap"

Its my second favorite next to X

"The Ocarina of Time wasn't even that good of a game"

I had to look it up to know what you were talking about, my gaming has been slacking the past few years.

"The God Delusion was a bunch of bollocks"

Read and enjoyed it mulitple times.

"Man I'm so awesome and trendy"

You seem like a decent enough bloke to me.

:) 

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 domatron23

Don't worry, the stuff in quotation marks isn't my actual opinion. I was just trying to typify the various people who hate popular things to seem cool.

I actually loved the Dark Knight (especially Ledger's Joker)

I love Final Fantasy 7 to peices (but X is also my favourite)

I haven't actually played the Ocarina of Time (the first console I owned was a ps2)

I haven't read the God delusion

I am a decent bloke indeed.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sitri_

Don't worry, the stuff in quotation marks isn't my actual opinion. I was just trying to typify the various people who hate popular things to seem cool.

I actually loved the Dark Knight (especially Ledger's Joker)

I love Final Fantasy 7 to peices (but X is also my favourite)

I haven't actually played the Ocarina of Time (the first console I owned was a ps2)

I haven't read the God delusion

I am a decent bloke indeed.

domatron23

I knew exactly what you meant.......I was just derailing my thread before anyone got a chance to respond..............

I found my joker pic from the bar I was at on their myspace site. 

(pic removed to hopefully get the topic back on track)

Ok now back to the serious **** that I was so gung ho about 4 minutes ago :roll:

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 domatron23

Holy ****ing **** man.

Nice upper thighs.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
After posting that picture this thread will never get back on track. Why would you derail your own thread before it even started?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Not to mention that this was the first image he chose to show to us of him. It's all about the first impression after-all. :P
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I completely agree.

Some of those who are critcised are really great atheist figures -- which is why I am bemused when they are thought of disrespectfully.

AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts

I am just opposed to people grouping everyone who doesn't believe in God into the same group.  A sort of "us and them" divide.  If you group all the atheists together, to me it starts to resemble organized religion a little bit too much.

I'm glad that picture didn't show another inch of your thigh.  Wouldn't have been a pleasant site.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sitri_
I had a few drinks and my mind was a bit fickle.  I removed the pic so hopefully the topic can continue.  Staying on topic is not always my strong suit.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

What is the motivation to so superficially slander a figurehead of a minority group of which you belong?Sitri_

No idea really. Although I haven't really seen any examples of what you speak. Can you provide some?

Not to mention that this was the first image he chose to show to us of him. It's all about the first impression after-all. :PTeenaged

:lol: Indeed!

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 helium_flash

I completely agree.

Some of those who are critcised are really great atheist figures -- which is why I am bemused when they are thought of disrespectfully.

MetalGear_Ninty

Some of those atheist figures, while they may be brilliant, don't do atheism any good.  Dawkins is a prime example:  he isn't seen as a funny, smart, nice man by the media.  He is seen as a spiteful and condecending man.

He gives atheists a bad name.  And this isn'tonly my opinion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teenaged
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

helium_flash

Some of those atheist figures, while they may be brilliant, don't do atheism any good.  Dawkins is a prime example:  he isn't seen as a funny, smart, nice man by the media.  He is seen as a spiteful and condecending man.

But still if we expected to be nice to others so that we are accepted then we might as well assign a hot model to do all the media work. You do have a point but I hate it that to be accepted you have to look nice and "easy".
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sitri_

Not to mention that this was the first image he chose to show to us of him. It's all about the first impression after-all. :PTeenaged

I don't post pics of myself online, I think that leads to trouble more often than anything.  But that one was up on a bar's  website anyway and I think I had on enough make-up that I doubt anyone would recognize me in the pic unless they saw me that night.

[QUOTE="Sitri_"]What is the motivation to so superficially slander a figurehead of a minority group of which you belong?Forerunner-117

No idea really. Although I haven't really seen any examples of what you speak. Can you provide some?

I am in a bit of a hurry now but I will get you some a bit later. 

I completely agree.

helium_flash

I don't take media opinions as gospel......well seeing as I am an atheist maybe that is a fair analogy :P but reading his books and watching his interviews, I think he is a very funny, smart, and nice man.  Mainstream media doesn't do my thinking for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I think Sitri that the type of atheist you're referring to is me. The fact is I am condescening towards Hitchens, Dawkins, and the like, although to be honest, given my recent hatred of religion, I probably should reconsider that view.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

domatron23

That was an awesome game.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Alas when it was released I didn't even own a tv let alone a N64 

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Forerunner-117

I am in a bit of a hurry now but I will get you some a bit later.

Sitri_

Okay no rush, sounds good. :)

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]Some of those atheist figures, while they may be brilliant, don't do atheism any good.  Dawkins is a prime example:  he isn't seen as a funny, smart, nice man by the media.  He is seen as a spiteful and condecending man.

Sitri_

I don't take media opinions as gospel......well seeing as I am an atheist maybe that is a fair analogy :P but reading his books and watching his interviews, I think he is a very funny, smart, and nice man.  Mainstream media doesn't do my thinking for me.

Completely agree. I honestly don't see where people get these views that he is a "spiteful and condescending man." 

Hellz yeah it was! Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 domatron23
[QUOTE="Sitri_"]

Forerunner-117

Completely agree. I honestly don't see where people get these views that he is a "spiteful and condescending man." 

The whole "brights" thing has always annoyed me and seemed very condescending.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 helium_flash
[QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

domatron23

What "brights" thing?
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

I don't take media opinions as gospel......well seeing as I am an atheist maybe that is a fair analogy :P but reading his books and watching his interviews, I think he is a very funny, smart, and nice man. Mainstream media doesn't do my thinking for me.

domatron23

Your sig says otherwise. :wink:
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MetalGear_Ninty

I completely agree.

helium_flash

Some of those atheist figures, while they may be brilliant, don't do atheism any good. Dawkins is a prime example: he isn't seen as a funny, smart, nice man by the media. He is seen as a spiteful and condecending man.

He gives atheists a bad name. And this isn'tonly my opinion.

That may not only be your opinon -- but it is also not only my opinion that he is a considerably smart and witty man.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

MetalGear_Ninty

Some of those atheist figures, while they may be brilliant, don't do atheism any good. Dawkins is a prime example: he isn't seen as a funny, smart, nice man by the media. He is seen as a spiteful and condecending man.

That may not only be your opinon -- but it is also not only my opinion that he is a considerably smart and witty man.

That may be, but if he's not seen that way by the media and society, he's not doing atheism any good.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

Funky_Llama

That may be, but if he's not seen that way by the media and society, he's not doing atheism any good.

There's several things wrong with that statement.

a) Aside from anecdotal evidence -- there's nothing to suggest that Dawkins is as seen like H_F described. So really that accusation is baseless.

b) People are getting into this tendecy of saying what is or isn't good for atheism -- as if it was some sort of organised society which it isn't. It is very much an individual matter -- and such statements about what is good for atheism is a nonsense.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 helium_flash
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

MetalGear_Ninty

a) Aside from anecdotal evidence -- there's nothing to suggest that Dawkins is as seen like H_F described. So really that accusation is baseless.

b) People are getting into this tendecy of saying what is or isn't good for atheism -- as if it was some sort of organised society which it isn't. It is very much an individual matter -- and such statements about what is good for atheism is a nonsense.

I would say having atheism respected would do wonders for those who consider themselves atheists.  You need to look at the situation from an outsider's view who doesn't know much about atheists or atheism in general.

Also, is it a problem to organize atheism? :|

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teenaged

I would say having atheism respected would do wonders for those who consider themselves atheists.  You need to look at the situation from an outsider's view who doesn't know much about atheists or atheism in general.

helium_flash
I personally find that it kind of deletes the whole point in being an atheist. But I'm not an atheist so...
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

helium_flash

I would say having atheism respected would do wonders for those who consider themselves atheists. You need to look at the situation from an outsider's view who doesn't know much about atheists or atheism in general.

Maybe it is because we come from two completely different places -- but I find that atheism is already respected. Having said that -- I don't think Dawkins or co is bringing any great disrespect to atheism.

And yes -- it is not necessarily a problem to organise atheism -- I just find it meaningless.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Forerunner-117
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

helium_flash

What "brights" thing?

"Brights" thing?

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

I don't take media opinions as gospel......well seeing as I am an atheist maybe that is a fair analogy :P but reading his books and watching his interviews, I think he is a very funny, smart, and nice man. Mainstream media doesn't do my thinking for me.

Forerunner-117

What "brights" thing?

"Brights" thing?

It's some pointless attempt to rebrand Atheism. I really don't see why some people think it's necessary.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 domatron23

http://the-brights.net/

Sorry I probably should have included this link in my original comment.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Forerunner-117

It's some pointless attempt to rebrand Atheism. I really don't see why some people think it's necessary.

_glatisant_

Sorry I probably should have included this link in my original comment.

domatron23

Hah, no problem, dom. Anyway, that's... interesting. It does look rather pointless from a cursory glance...

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

MetalGear_Ninty

I would say having atheism respected would do wonders for those who consider themselves atheists. You need to look at the situation from an outsider's view who doesn't know much about atheists or atheism in general.

Maybe it is because we come from two completely different places -- but I find that atheism is already respected. Having said that -- I don't think Dawkins or co is bringing any great disrespect to atheism.

And yes -- it is not necessarily a problem to organise atheism -- I just find it meaningless.

Great... now I forgot what I was even talking about.

Regardless, I don't have any atheist guilt as I'm not the type of person to put someone down like just to build my self-esteem.  But I do stick to the opinion that Dawkins builds a negative opinion of non-believers.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

MetalGear_Ninty

a) Which is why I said 'if'.

b) Point taken. Specifically, I was referring to to have atheism is percieved by society.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

I completely agree.

Funky_Llama

a) Which is why I said 'if'.

Yeah, the whole 'if' scenariois pretty useless.

"If Nelson Mandella was revealed to be a sociopathic serial killer -- then I wouldn't like him any more." :P

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

I think Dom's on to something there, as well as there are many reasons those of us who are Atheists choose to be so.  Dawkins book, for example, may go against every reason why I'm an Atheist (it doesn't), which in turn may cause me to blabber out about him.  Again I think this serves no one.  If any Atheist gets a platform to speak, and does so coming from the heart, science, or however he or she came to not believe in God, and does so without sounding like a raving lunatic I can't see the problem.

That was jumbled as hell, awaits LLama's wrath :(, but I hope you get my point.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Funky_Llama

Yeah, the whole 'if' scenariois pretty useless.

"If Nelson Mandella was revealed to be a sociopathic serial killer -- then I wouldn't like him any more." :P

MetalGear_Ninty

Hmm. Seems fair enough to me. :P

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Funky_Llama

I think Dom's on to something there, as well as there are many reasons those of us who are Atheists choose to be so.  Dawkins book, for example, may go against every reason why I'm an Atheist (it doesn't), which in turn may cause me to blabber out about him.  Again I think this serves no one.  If any Atheist gets a platform to speak, and does so coming from the heart, science, or however he or she came to not believe in God, and does so without sounding like a raving lunatic I can't see the problem.

btaylor2404
Or would do if I disagreed with you. :P
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

Funky_Llama

Or would do if I disagreed with you. :P

Ahh now killing me with kindness. :)  Sorry I had a point there, just couldn't put it in a coherent sentence.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

The same reason why most Christians dismiss the WBC: the only people who like to be associated with fanatics are other fanatics.

The big difference here is that the WBC are not considered by Christians to be leaders of Christian movements by any stretch of the imagination.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MetalGear_Ninty

The same reason why most Christians dismiss the WBC: the only people who like to be associated with fanatics are other fanatics.

The big difference here is that the WBC are not considered by Christians to be leaders of Christian movements by any stretch of the imagination.

Theokhoth
You can't exactly compare somebody likes Dawkins with the WBC.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

MetalGear_Ninty

Dawkins wasn't explicitly mentioned in the OP, so I wasn't.

Dawkins is, however, still pretty much a fanatic. Not as extreme as the WBC, but on the same line. There's a reason why atheists criticize his methods--just as there's a reason why Christians criticize the methods of the WBC.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Dawkins wasn't explicitly mentioned in the OP, so I wasn't.

Dawkins is, however, still pretty much a fanatic. Not as extreme as the WBC, but on the same line. There's a reason why atheists criticize his methods--just as there's a reason why Christians criticize the methods of the WBC.

Explicitly mentioned? No. Heavily implied? Yes.

I just don't know in what sense you could call the guy a 'fanatic'.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Theokhoth

MetalGear_Ninty

What is a fanatic to you?

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MetalGear_Ninty

Theokhoth

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fanatical

That pretty much sums it up.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

MetalGear_Ninty

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fanatical

That pretty much sums it up.

Okay, then.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sitri_

Forerunner sorry I have been away for a bit and never got back to you with examples but hopefully the holes seem to of filled themselves in. 

I don't really subscribe to the "brights" idea, but I think the attempt at memetic engineering wasn't to be pretentious but rather get rid of the stigma associated with the word "atheist."  I have never seen it explicitly stated but I have always thought it metaphorically linked to Lucifer (light-bringer.)

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
Atheist don't need guilt in them. Don't worry atheist will soon get their day.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sitri_

Atheist don't need guilt in them. Don't worry atheist will soon get their day.SSBFan12

It was more of a play on words.  White Guilt is a phenomena where white people are unnecessarily depreciating to their own group, those causes are different but that was the........pun.....that I was working from.