Uxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Uxal
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
Do you think we atheists and rationalists focus to much on Atheism itself and not enough on propagating skepticism? I was watching this video by TheAmazingAtheist on youtube and he brought up some interesting points. Atheists are as suseptable to delusion as many theists. Should we put a larger priority on Skepticism first, then touting the failures of religion?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I watched the same video a few days ago... >_>

On topic: I dont think skepticism leads to atheism necessarily. By far. Not that it was implied, just felt like making an irrelevant point as I usually do. =P

Ugh and that means I am off topic. D:

Anyway, judging by what I remember from the video, yes its true that many times people do not become atheists because they are really skeptical (which is something important to atheism) but rather for other reasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
There is nothing wrong with atheism. Skepticism is only acceptable when the truth is not yet known. Once the truth is known, it's time to move on.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I see skepticism as an approach to evaluating belief. My atheism as a constantly re-tested interim belief that I hold as a result of my on-going skeptical approach.

So in one way, I think skepticism is more important than atheism, since it is a proven way of getting the most accurate information. But on its own, just being skeptical and suspending judgement will never lead to any conclusions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I see skepticism as an approach to evaluating belief. My atheism as a constantly re-tested interim belief that I hold as a result of my on-going skeptical approach.

So in one way, I think skepticism is more important than atheism, since it is a proven way of getting the most accurate information. But on its own, just being skeptical and suspending judgement will never lead to any conclusions.RationalAtheist

Pretty much. I think of it this way: Skepticism is how we affirm truth, but skepticism itself should never be the truth. Skepticism is not the goal; rather, it is the means by which we reach the goal, with the goal being truth.

Uxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Uxal
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
The originial question was that to many people focus on spreading the goal rather then the means. For example, whats the point of teaching people the answers to mathematical questions when there far better off knowing the methods of achieveing the answer. The point is not everyone becomes an Atheist for the same reasons. This is one of the reasons why you see many atheists believing in delusional principles. Atheists should spread the means and not focus so much on the goal.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean they are going to be arrogant. I don't think scepticism is left to the dogs, I barely see any adult-age atheists who go off on "why religion is going to be the end of the world" rants. It is usually only teenage ex-Christians who usually have a bad experience with religion that tend to be arrogant and are sure "God most definitely does not exist."
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Well since I am a theist I'll go with skepticism.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

The originial question was that to many people focus on spreading the goal rather then the means. For example, whats the point of teaching people the answers to mathematical questions when there far better off knowing the methods of achieveing the answer. The point is not everyone becomes an Atheist for the same reasons. This is one of the reasons why you see many atheists believing in delusional principles. Atheists should spread the means and not focus so much on the goal.Uxal

I think education plays an important role in allowing people to discriminate between judgements. For example, science is typically taught in a methodical and deductive way, with new principle building upon preceding principle. The benefits of experiment and observation are commonplace in school science labs. Education policy should be that all religious and non-religious views should be made available to students, so they can access unbiased information on beliefs outside their families' views.

Atheists believe such for a variety of reasons and have a many different explanations for their beliefs. It is mostly a belief that people arrive at in their own terms and without being cajoled. Atheists also have various feelings towards their belief; everything from apathetic atheism to God-hating reactionism. I don't know what "delusional principles" you refer to, but atheists must be allowed to act irrationally sometimes!

I also don't know if it is a "goal" to convert people to atheism, or to stop them thinking in a certain way. Isn't expressing views in a suitable arena enough? It may be useful to talk about skepticism being a basis for an atheist view, or to excuse yourself from a religious argument by calling yourself a "skeptic", but "spreading the means" of atheism sounds a bit creepy.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
Even the greatest sceptics have their delusions. I don't think atheism and scepticism should be juxtaposed as contrasting philosohpies in any sense; whilst of course by asserting your atheism you are revealing a belief, that is not necessarily to say that you do not question that belief, or exclude the possibility of the abandoning of said belief.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

If I were myself from 2 years ago I'd heartily agree with your thesis, but I've done more research and have found skepticism as an enterprise EXTREMELY wanting. 

Also I think you dont need to promote skepticism because its accepted by most. Though you could stress that people need to apply skepticism more often than they do.  

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
I agree that the method by which you would come to a conclusion is more important than the conclusion itself.