deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Often I hear about how atheism is linked to suicidal rates. I was wondering what your thoughts on suicide are? Have you contemplated suicide? Have you attempted suicide? Do you believe suicide is wrong? Do you believe there are circumstances in which suicide is right and/or justified?

I personally have schemed how I would commit suicide. When I was a 12-year old Christian, I remember I prayed to God every night that year and incidentally, when I stopped praying, I stopped contemplating suicide. My plan was to drown myself. The second time was within the last few months. It's actually during this time I gave up nihilism, because I could identify a virtue reasoning with me not to take action. I didn't really have much of a clue as to how to combat suicide other than perhaps cut my wrists. At one point, I was almost placed in suicide watch.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

I've myself thought about suicide, but never really took my thoughts too serious. Just what would happen if I did do the deed and how I would do it. I think these are pretty natural feelings and everyone has them, but I've learned they are quite easy to control.

I've always believed suicide to be stupid and weak, this is the only life they get and if they want to take it away because of trivial things then they don't deserve what they lost for what they put their family and friends through. This isn't what every Atheist believes, I'm sure but I have trouble understanding the emotions that drive people to do these things. I have tried to understand them, and I know the facts and numbers, but they and my thought process are like oil and water. Not to say that I've never felt grieved or sorrow before, I have like everyone else, but I just could never see myself push those emotions so far that they'd make me kill myself.

There are a few exceptions to this, however. If I were to be a quadroplegic or in serious physical pain I would rather have the peace of death than to live through that. But that's because I understand physical limits and pains.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I'm sure I thought of it briefly once or twice over a girl in my teen years, but nothing that stands out.  I do believe suicide is a cowardly act.  Wrong, that I can't say.  But life is hard for every human on this Earth in their own way (Who would like to be A-Rod this week?) and it's our species determination that got us to where we are today, and suicide takes away from that.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Yes, I've thought about killing myself a lot. It is one of the reasons I'm so adverse to handguns, because I don't trust myself with them. I'm not suicidal; I don't have a bad life and am not depressed, but I'm deathly curious about the Great Beyond. It is one of the reasons I'm afraid of dying though, because I don't have a clue what it will be like.

But ultimately I think that suicide is selfish. I never have experienced what it is like to be depressed so I can't exactly say that suicidal people shouldn't be complaining or anything. My girlfriend was once suicidal, but now she is better :). I try to help her when she gets sad. 

Anyway, I would imagine that atheists would be average in terms of suicide rates. I think it has more to do with financial and social situations than religious beliefs. I know that Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world, due largely to the amount of stress put on the people living there to succeed. When I lived in South Korea, all the windows on the top floors in the schools had bars over them to prevent students from jumping out of them to kill themselves.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I used to be really bad in some of my middle teenage years.  I was really, really depressed, often having little energy to do anything at all, and often wanting to just sleep.  I did see a doctor about it and had blood tests done as I didn't see any real external cause for my depression, but nothing came of it.  Nonetheless, they were by far the worst months of my life and were an experience I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.  I'm not sure if I ever seriously contemplated suicide - the entire time is kind of blur for me in my memory - but I will say that I know I could honestly get a sense of why people commit suicide and that I could empathize with how those people probably feel.  In retrospect, though, I think that time was actually beneficial for me, oddly enough, because I came out of it immensely empathetic for other people's problems in life.  I think I owe a lot of who I am today to that tumultuous time.

I will also say that - no offense to those in this thread - I cannot agree with the sentiments expressed by those who would say that suicide is stupid or cowardly.  Perhaps, objectively speaking, those statements might be true at face value, but if you're honestly in a situation where you feel that suicide is a viable option, the rational side of your brain has already shut down.  You truly believe that no one loves you, that life has no meaning, and that everything would be better off if you were dead.  No one who commits suicide does so under the full awareness that they will be leaving behind people who care about them very much and who would be crushed by their death.  If you have never been to the point where you seriously considered suicide as the best course of action, there is quite frankly no way you could possibly know what it's like.

That's not to say that I think people shouldn't stop others from committing suicide, or anything like that.  But if someone does commit suicide, I really don't think we're in any position to judge that person.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I've always been a happy guy that enjoys life so suicide has never really popped into my decision making process at any point.

My girlfriend does suffer from depression though and she has tried to commit suicide more than once (one time I had to break down a door to get at her). She's an atheist but I don't really think that that played any part in it.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

I can find the study if need be, it has been a while since I have seen so I didn't take the time to look it up now; after religious extremists, atheists statistically have less fear of death than everyone else.  It is the vast group of people who live in religious moderation and agnosticism who have the most death anxiety, which can play a role in why, if there are, higher atheist suicide rates.

I personally think a person has an intrinsic right to commit suicide if they wish.  If they decide that their life is not worth living, who else could possibly be in a better position to say that it is.   That being said, I wouldn't encourage someone to do so, but I wouldn't judge them in the slightest either.

For everyone that says suicide is selfish (a lot of people) I instead say it is selfish that people around that person expect this individual to constantly inflict a life of torment on his/herself just so the people around them don't get any run off pain from their death.  The person's internal world obviously has to be pretty bad off, worse than what the people who trivially dismiss them can, or are willing to, understand.  Also many suicides reason that the world/family/friends would be better without them, so they are actually doing those around them a favor.  Saying the act is selfish is simply a short cut to thinking.

And as for it being cowardly, peh.  Anyone that has really ever thought about it should know how hard it actually is.  I went through common teenage angst, and suicidal thoughts aren't all too uncommon with that territory.  I never had the balls to do it.  There is no commitment in life to match it.  At the time I was agnostic so yes I was in a high risk group for death anxiety, but regardless, I could never imagine this as being an easy cop out.

If you look at many anti-depression medications you will see warnings for increased risk of suicide.  The reason for this is because many people are so hopelessly depressed that they can't even see suicide as a way out.  When the medication starts to help them, it brings them up to a level that they realize that they are able to make a proactive change in their situation, suicide.  As hard as it is for some people to imagine, there are others that live entirely different internal and external lives than what they do.  After all, you almost have to assume everyone is playing relatively the hand from the same positions that you are to pass judgment on them.  Once you accept fundamental differences that drive behavior, it is very hard to judge their actions, because your own standard that you would judge yourself by is the only thing you can understand.

(removes soapbox)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

You truly believe that no one loves you, that life has no meaning, and that everything would be better off if you were dead.GabuEx

I have because I have been feeling the above more and more the last 2-3 years but haven't tried at all for the reason below... 

they will be leaving behind people who care about them very much and who would be crushed by their death.

GabuEx
But also because I am afraid to do it. There is no painless way to do it so... and also I always have hope that maybe things might change. Maybe sometime.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 helium_flash

For everyone that says suicide is selfish (a lot of people) I instead say it is selfish that people around that person expect this individual to constantly inflict a life of torment on his/herself just so the people around them don't get any run off pain from their death.  The person's internal world obviously has to be pretty bad off, worse than what the people who trivially dismiss them can, or are willing to, understand.  Also many suicides reason that the world/family/friends would be better without them, so they are actually doing those around them a favor.  Saying the act is selfish is simply a short cut to thinking.

Sitri_

Just because their reasoning makes sense doesn't mean it isn't selfish for them to do it. The vast majority of the time, the person has people around them who care about them and love them, but they refuse to realize this. A lot of time they come up with that reasoning to justify them wanting to kill themselves when it clearly isn't true.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 helium_flash
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

You truly believe that no one loves you, that life has no meaning, and that everything would be better off if you were dead.Teenaged

I have because I have been feeling the above more and more the last 2-3 years but haven't tried at all for the reason below... 

they will be leaving behind people who care about them very much and who would be crushed by their death.

GabuEx
But also because I am afraid to do it. There is no painless way to do it so... and also I always have hope that maybe things might change. Maybe sometime.

Is there a reason you are depressed man?
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sitri_

Just because their reasoning makes sense doesn't mean it isn't selfish for them to do it. The vast majority of the time, the person has people around them who care about them and love them, but they refuse to realize this. A lot of time they come up with that reasoning to justify them wanting to kill themselves when it clearly isn't true.

helium_flash

But as I see it two things still stand: 

If a person percieves the action as benifiting others, it is hard to call it selfish, which implies that they are intentially acting for personal benifit at the cost of others. (In other terms, if I am trying to give someone a stock tip that ends up backfiring for them but makes me money, was my advice selfish?)

Also, what if the amount of agony built up in that one life outweighs the agony inflicted on those that suffer his death?  In that case I just see it as weighing the collective good and bad scales and acting accordingly.  In this case it seems to me like the other people who have to cope with the death are selfish as to wish a miserable existance on this person to alleviate their much less severe pain.  

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
I would say that both can be caused by the intolerance received by others of the dominant culture. Atheism is the ideological rebellion, sometimes out of angst but sometimes out of reconsideration; suicide is one of the extreme and growing results of the feeling of powerlessness. I think that this is due less to atheism, if at all, and more to the mainstream culture of violence used to make others fear and respect you. If there you have nothing else going for your cause, you tend to resort to violence. Emotionally, we lead what tends to be the more challenging path. Without someone looking over our shoulders all of the time, without someone to lift us up when we fall, we must rely upon and within ourselves to find the strength and vigor to plow our way though the challenges, obstacles, trenches, mountains of life, and the nuisances of life. We are alone "spiritually," save for our selves, and sometimes our beliefs impel us into social aloneness as well. I tend to believe that the latter is the more pressing issue during our youths, and that the former does not provide us with the support others have. It is this aloneness which drove figures such as Nietzsche into the depths of despair, and personally I feel that marks the most crushing challenges of my life. It is not just about company. It is about learning to be yourself, learning to be satisfied being unpopular, learning to take no heed of conventional and societal stereotypes and standards and culture and expectations and obligations. Read The Awakening by Edith Chopin and When Nietzsche Wept by Irvin Yalom. Still, suicide is most common in the United States among males over the age of seventy according to the Census.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 btaylor2404
I wanted to add a bit of something to my earlier comment, but it's a tad hard following the very good post and points from CptJSparrow.  But I used the word coward, and I used it in terms of suicide I have seen in my life.  All cases (3) were cowardly in my opinion and I knew all men very well.  My generalization of it as a cowardly act stems from these experiences, many of you have made points as to how it may not be in some cases.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I contemplate suicide every few weeks, and I'd be lying if I said that my lack of faith didn't have anything to do with it. That is not the only circumstance that creates difficulty, as there are other serious conditions in my life (cancer), things that will not end until death, that require a great deal of suffering (every few years) to get through, and I don't know if I can handle it. I just don't know. The thing that keeps me going is my family (I will not put them through that pain) and my stubbornness and refusal to allow life's hardships to get the best of me. I get angry, and it helps keep me alive, aside from eating away at me from the inside out and consuming me with hatred.

But I don't judge those who do kill themselves, I just think it's a very sad situation. I used to pass judgement, but who am I to say? I know nothing of their lives, I don't presume to compare their situation to mine or others, everyone is different. In health I used to feel very judgemental towards others, now in sickness, I'm not.....funny how that works.

All in all, I do believe those who lack faith may be more prone to kill themselves than not.

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts
i voted that i never have, which isnt entirely true. i have thought about what it would be like to die but the thruth is, i never took myself seriously. i enjoy life far to much to have suicidal thoughts.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Yes, mainly recently though. Before I never thought about it since Catholicism says that suicide is a ticket straight to hell, but nowadays, it's something that I ponder occasionally. But I use the word ponder because it's not so much an inclination to commit suicide as it is a curiosity of what it would feel like, how it would affect those around me, and what would happen after I am dead. It's funny, I actually had an interesting dream a couple of nights ago. In it I took a knife to my stomach because I just didn't feel like living anymore, but once I had done that, I realized that I still wanted to live and would be dying prematurely, but it was too late and at the end, just before I woke up, I died. :?

Right now, I'm very young and realize that I have much to experience in life, so suicide isn't really something that I'd think about seriously. Life is good right now, but I'm still a virgin and I don't intend to die that way. :P

I personally think a person has an intrinsic right to commit suicide if they wish.  If they decide that their life is not worth living, who else could possibly be in a better position to say that it is.   That being said, I wouldn't encourage someone to do so, but I wouldn't judge them in the slightest either.

For everyone that says suicide is selfish (a lot of people) I instead say it is selfish that people around that person expect this individual to constantly inflict a life of torment on his/herself just so the people around them don't get any run off pain from their death.

Sitri_

Hah, I find myself quoting you quite often in this union, Sitri. :P That was very well put, and expresses my thoughts as well.

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
I've went through depression for most of my teen years, and was pretty close to suicide more than once.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Often I hear about how atheism is linked to suicidal rates. I was wondering what your thoughts on suicide are?

It's definitely a very personal thing. It's up to the individuals to judge for themselves.

Have you contemplated suicide?

Yes, when I was around 17, the details of which I doubt I'll ever speak. Just in case any of you are curious, it was not just depression, the problems were very real. It's not that I didn't care about other people's feelings. It's just that there was no point to it. It seemed like a useless thing to do. I clearly remember that I felt my feeling for others and their feelings for me were silly jokes. They were of no use in the situation. The situation is just too complex to explain. It's sufficient to say that the gravity of the situation far out-weighed any personal feelings. To be brutally honest the utter hopeless state of the situation actually made me feel like a coward that I didn't have the guts to commit suicide and so had to survive the almost incomprehensible misery while being unable to do anything to change it. It's a good thing I wasn't that brave. I know it sounds all too dramatic but it's true. Those days of my life also taught me some important things about life, the hard way! Safe to say I've learned those things well and I don't wish for anyone to be that well-learned.

Those days are over and it's hardly the case now, but I'd be lying if I say I never get these thoughts.

BTW, I totally agree with what GabuEx said:

I will also say that - no offense to those in this thread - I cannot agree with the sentiments expressed by those who would say that suicide is stupid or cowardly.  Perhaps, objectively speaking, those statements might be true at face value, but if you're honestly in a situation where you feel that suicide is a viable option, the rational side of your brain has already shut down.  You truly believe that no one loves you, that life has no meaning, and that everything would be better off if you were dead.  No one who commits suicide does so under the full awareness that they will be leaving behind people who care about them very much and who would be crushed by their death.  If you have never been to the point where you seriously considered suicide as the best course of action, there is quite frankly no way you could possibly know what it's like.

That's not to say that I think people shouldn't stop others from committing suicide, or anything like that.  But if someone does commit suicide, I really don't think we're in any position to judge that person.

GabuEx

Have you attempted suicide?

No, not even close. All I knows is I'll probably want it to be as painless as possible because if I just wanted to punish myself I'd find some other way.

Do you believe suicide is wrong?

No, not always, but it's up to the individuals to decide for themselves. I doubt a suicidal person would care much about right and wrong unless, it is somehow a very big deal to others close to that person.

Do you believe there are circumstances in which suicide is right and/or justified?

I think it's very rare but definitely justifiable in some cases. But in the end it's upto individuals to justify it for themselves.

Indecipherable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Indecipherable
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts

Funny you should ask. In the past, i used to think about suicide quite often. Not that I was particularly unhappy or anything, it just seemed to me life had no meaning and was tiring. At that point in my life, i was starting to entertain the idea that God didn't exist. Oddly, i had no problem with that, it would just be easier to return to the void, from which i came to be. However, if God existed, I had decided to tell him to "leave me alone". I don't really know what triggered those feelings. I'm over that now, though sometimes, when I'm on high places, I sometimes think how easy it would be to take just a little step forward and end my life there and then... As for my opinion about people who attempt or actually succed in commiting suicide, I say it depends. Some are so miserable in their lives, that maybe suicide is the only solution. Some actually are cowards for not even trying to improve their lives. Whatever the case, I also believe that it does take a lot of courage to actually do it.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
Yeah I have thought about suicide and I have even planned how I was going to kill myself. I think there is no point of life and we were created for no reason. I do not believe in god I believe in the big bang theory. I think there is no point of life to live or anything. Cause if you think about it we will all die if we keep living until we are around 70 years old or older so why not die now. It can save the trouble later.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teenaged
Yeah I have thought about suicide and I have even planned how I was going to kill myself. I think there is no point of life and we were created for no reason. I do not believe in god I believe in the big bang theory. I think there is no point of life to live or anything. Cause if you think about it we will all die if we keep living until we are around 70 years old or older so why not die now. It can save the trouble later.SSBFan12
I will not comment, but if you would like, do you want to PM me the story you said you have been through?
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
I've never considered suicide... and that's despite taking an interest in Nietzsche. :P
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SSBFan12
[QUOTE="SSBFan12"]Yeah I have thought about suicide and I have even planned how I was going to kill myself. I think there is no point of life and we were created for no reason. I do not believe in god I believe in the big bang theory. I think there is no point of life to live or anything. Cause if you think about it we will all die if we keep living until we are around 70 years old or older so why not die now. It can save the trouble later.Teenaged
I will not comment, but if you would like, do you want to PM me the story you said you have been through?

It is not the right time later in a few weeks I will post it on the off-topic discussion.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"]Yeah I have thought about suicide and I have even planned how I was going to kill myself. I think there is no point of life and we were created for no reason. I do not believe in god I believe in the big bang theory. I think there is no point of life to live or anything. Cause if you think about it we will all die if we keep living until we are around 70 years old or older so why not die now. It can save the trouble later.SSBFan12

It is not the right time later in a few weeks I will post it on the off-topic discussion.

Ok, it's your call. :)
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CptJSparrow
I've never considered suicide... and that's despite taking an interest in Nietzsche. :PMetalGear_Ninty
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

I think it's the complete opposite, if they're truly an atheist and believe there is nothing else after this existence. Why even consider the possibility of ending it?  I value my life highly because of this.

Now, if I was a Christian and believed everything there is to that religion I would not mind at all if I died even though I doubt I'd kill myself for fear of being put into eternal torment for finite crimes ... (wtf is up with that btw?)

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've never considered suicide... and that's despite taking an interest in Nietzsche. :PCptJSparrow

:P

His stuff can be depressing -- just look at my sig!

dallbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 dallbowl
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've never considered suicide... and that's despite taking an interest in Nietzsche. :PMetalGear_Ninty

It can be, but I'd consider it more life-affirming than something like "your a sinner that deserves to be punished, so accept me into your life and follow my commands, or perish for eternity."

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sitri_

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've never considered suicide... and that's despite taking an interest in Nietzsche. :PMetalGear_Ninty

I have gotten many a good belly laugh while reading Nietzsche.  I suppose it is all perspective.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 btaylor2404

I think it's the complete opposite, if they're truly an atheist and believe there is nothing else after this existence. Why even consider the possibility of ending it?  I value my life highly because of this.

Now, if I was a Christian and believed everything there is to that religion I would not mind at all if I died even though I doubt I'd kill myself for fear of being put into eternal torment for finite crimes ... (wtf is up with that btw?)

SimpJee

I'm right there with you SimpJee.  To me this life is all I have, and I'm going 90 to nothing, balls to the wall until I'm in the dirt.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15995 Posts

Have you attempted suicide? Do you believe suicide is wrong? Do you believe there are circumstances in which suicide is right and/or justified?Genetic_Code

-Yes

-Depends on the situation

Of course. Let's be hypothetical: If I had a girlfriend and she fell off of a cruise ship and drowned, I'd probably commit suicide within a few days or weeks. I would always be thinking if I could have done something to prevent her from falling; the guilt would be so overwhelming. I wouldn't want to live a life in that state so I'd just kill myself.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CptJSparrow

Well, yes... the point is to get past the absurdiy and loathing.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've never considered suicide... and that's despite taking an interest in Nietzsche. :PCptJSparrow

...and that's easier said than done. :wink:

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CptJSparrow
[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

...and that's easier said than done. :wink:

Of course.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Of course. Let's be hypothetical: If I had a girlfriend and she fell off of a cruise ship and drowned, I'd probably commit suicide within a few days or weeks. I would always be thinking if I could have done something to prevent her from falling; the guilt would be so overwhelming. I wouldn't want to live a life in that state so I'd just kill myself.

dracula_16

But you couldn't have and offing yourself won't mean there'll be an afterlife where you'll meet her so why do it?

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
I have wanted to die in low periods of my life, but I would never commit suicide. I've always managed to pull myself together and get through tough times.To me it is a completely idiotic and a defeatist act. I also consider it selfish, to forget about the feelings of all your loved ones and friends, even if you don't have any family or friends, people around you like coworkers can be negatively affected by you killing yourself.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

I have wanted to die in low periods of my life, but I would never commit suicide. I've always managed to pull myself together and get through tough times.To me it is a completely idiotic and a defeatist act. I also consider it selfish, to forget about the feelings of all your loved ones and friends, even if you don't have any family or friends, people around you like coworkers can be negatively affected by you killing yourself. DrSponge

Probably so, but I doubt someone about to commit suicide would be bothered at how the co-workers might feel about it and I'm not sure if it's really all the selfish, especially when it comes to co-workers' feelings. 

RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

Often I hear about how atheism is linked to suicidal rates. I was wondering what your thoughts on suicide are? Have you contemplated suicide? Have you attempted suicide? Do you believe suicide is wrong? Do you believe there are circumstances in which suicide is right and/or justified?

Genetic_Code

Every so often (especially when I'm under a lot of stress), I'll think about it. Not really in a whole lot of detail, just a general feeling of "oh, if I was dead I wouldn't have to deal with this." Granted, they're just thoughts that I'd never think of acting on. Living isn't so bad. :P

Is suicide wrong? Not always. If a person is REALLY suffering, they should have the right to end it. For example, if one had an awful disease with no chance of recovery, why prolong the suffering? Why use resources that would be better spent on aiding somebody else with a better outlook?

I think committing suicide over relatively trivial matters is unjustified, though. 

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SSBFan12

Another reason why I am going to kill myself is because my mom has been choking me (litterally) and I can't do anything right so I guess I am just going to kill myself and leave everyone behind.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#40 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Another reason why I am going to kill myself is because my mom has been choking me (litterally) and I can't do anything right so I guess I am just going to kill myself and leave everyone behind.

SSBFan12

:? Call the police?

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CptJSparrow

SSBFan12
Call the police.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15995 Posts
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Genetic_Code

But you couldn't have and offing yourself won't mean there'll be an afterlife where you'll meet her so why do it?

The guilt would be too intense to handle. I would never be able to forgive myself. Being at fault of a loved one's death would produce the worst feeling possible.

I don't believe in an afterlife but it would be better to not feel anything than to feel such intense sadness.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SSBFan12
[QUOTE="SSBFan12"]

CptJSparrow
Call the police.

They won't do nothing about it. My mom would win against me.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Teenaged
[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"]

SSBFan12
Call the police.

There are agencies for violence within the family. They won't leave you like that I suppose.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sitri_

SSBFan12

Call the police.

I apologize if I sound like a dick, but it really reads to me as you just want to feel sorry for yourself. Either get motivated to do something about it or expect to stay there, people will likely not walk you through life.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CptJSparrow

SSBFan12
Call the police.

Tell me that again once you have tried. Do not disqualify yourself --- if you do, you fail by default.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 helium_flash
[QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"]

Sitri_

Call the police.

I apologize if I sound like a dick, but it really reads to me as you just want to feel sorry for yourself. Either get motivated to do something about it or expect to stay there, people will likely not walk you through life.

Yeah I'm thinking he's just an attention seeker.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="Sitri_"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"]

helium_flash

Call the police.

Well if you think he's an attention seeker then don't give him your attention. :roll:

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Sitri_"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"]

MetalGear_Ninty

Well if you think he's an attention seeker then don't give him your attention. :roll:

Did I give him my attention somehow by  quoting Sitri? :|
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Sitri_"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"]

helium_flash

Did I give him my attention somehow by quoting Sitri? :|

You did by directly referring to him.