Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

We all know we are eventually gonna die and the atheists know it's most certainly going to be the eternal end. However lets not kid ourselves, this is hardly in our minds in everyday life. While some theists apparently consider it suicide worthy news, we have accepted that we are not going to last eternally but it's not something we "carry" with ourselves most of the time. We have our finite ambitions in life driving us and they seem to never end, you accomplish one thing and there's already something else you want.

But there will come a time when darkness will prevail. Once your children are married and well settled in their lives and you are a 70 year old wrinkly mess, what happens then? A devoted theist awaits a meeting with the lord and the moderates also mostly believe there is something coming. A strong atheist "knows" it's all coming to an end, the pain of the process of death is absolutely astonishing in even many natural circumstances. For a theist death is a hurdle that will bring ultimate pain but there is still hope after it.

I will be honest, I am completely lost when I think about old age due in large to the fact that I just cant even seem to remain agnostic about afterlife. I know intellectually you shouldn't outright deny it but my feelings just don't accept even the slightest possibility of it. The real problem is that you will be fully healthy and conscious and yet will know that you have lived your life and the eternal end is near.

So what do we do here? What solution can humanity find of this problem? Is atheism worth the objective worthlessness that it ultimately and unintentionally portrays?

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

So what do we do here? What solution can humanity find of this problem? Is atheism worth the objective worthlessness that it ultimately and unintentionally portrays?

Well, if I was an atheist, I would just try to do things that I deem meaningful--like studying and trying to make the world a better place--until I die.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If the Epic of Gilgamesh has taught me anything, striving after something reserved for the gods (eternal life, whether during life or after death) is a futile adventure, as it can never be achieved by lowly humans and we need not concern ourselves with what happens after we die... only we concentrate on what makes this specific life so amazing.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16047 Posts

I don't worry about an afterlife because it's something that may or may not be true. There are lots of things in life that may or may not be true, so why should I hold an afterlife on a pedestal? how is it any more credible than the other things?

It has no dominion over me.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I have often thought that atheism is probably easier for us young-uns than it is for the elderly. The closer we are to death and the worse our quality of life is the harder it will be to cope with our mortality. I think I can handle it as long as I still have a sense of humour but goodness knows what my train of thought will be if my faculties become dull and tired.

As for whether or not an atheistic world view is worth all that melodrama, well I still hold that hard truths are better than comfortable delusions.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I'm fairly certain I'm past the half-way marker post of my life, so feel well qualified to answer this.

I can't see what the problem is. The things that drive you in early life are similar to the things that drive you on in later life. Lessons I'm learning during my middle-age have included re-definitions of my limitations, perspectives and approaches to life. People often tend to change their way of living throughout their lives, so dealing with the changes old age presents seems natural.

There is also a familiarity with death that grows with age. Typically, older people have been to more funerals than younger people, so are used to dealing with the concepts death presents them. One reason people choose life-partners is the thought that someone will be there to share their trials and fears.

Also, and this will undoubtedly sound patronising, but I'll say it anyway (or try)... Was it Oscar Wilde or Mark Twain that said something like: "I wish I knew half of what I thought I'd known when I was a young man"? I'm not trying to debunk the knowledge of youth, but suggesting that the way people think about things can and does change conceptually as they age. Peoples' approach to life and attitudes to death are big parts of their characters, which do evolve (or stagnate) with peoples' lives.

Knowing about the finality of this life can be a benefit in compelling people to do the things they want or need to. It is a the only certain milestone where you can constantly assess the fulfilment you expect from your life, reflect on your previous contentment and then make plans to achieve more fulfilment.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
My atheism is an acknowledgement of truth. I don't believe in a deity because I don't see any evidence for one. Regardless of my dire circumstances or my own mortality as long as there exists no compelling evidence for a deity; my position won't change. So the question 'is it worth it?' doesn't really make sense to me. It seems like the equivalent of denying some historic event because you don't like the implications that event bears on the present. Or denying some disease because you don't want to deal with it. Or pretending you are in debt because you don't like the idea of being foreclosed on.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gambler_3

My atheism is an acknowledgement of truth. I don't believe in a deity because I don't see any evidence for one. Regardless of my dire circumstances or my own mortality as long as there exists no compelling evidence for a deity; my position won't change. So the question 'is it worth it?' doesn't really make sense to me. It seems like the equivalent of denying some historic event because you don't like the implications that event bears on the present. Or denying some disease because you don't want to deal with it. Or pretending you are in debt because you don't like the idea of being foreclosed on. Frattracide
It's not the same thing.

If you deny some disease then you can only deny it for so long before it starts showing the serious consequences of ignoring it, same is the case with your debt example, you will HAVE to face the music ultimately so it's better to do it earlier so perhaps you can save the situation from getting worse and worse.

In the case of religion, if there is no afterlife then a believer will never actually face the music cuz he will not be there to know that fact.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
My point was that personal preferences don't change reality. If it is true, as I think is probably the case, that there is no god than religious beliefs do not change that fact, regardless of any negative connotations atheism may bring.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

How would eternal life make this life more worth living than finite life? If anything it would make this life pretty damn worthless. I mean, 70-100 years as compared to infinity? Doesn't seem like this life would hold much, if any, value if you truly believe you're going to live forever after you die.

Anyway, as a budding scientist I take the view that it's always best to admit reality since denying it changes nothing. And In my opinion the reality is that it doesn't matter if you believe you're going to live forever or not, that still won't change the fact that you're going to die and stay dead like every other organism that has ever existed. It's not a choice or philosophy, it's the way that things are.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

How would eternal life make this life more worth living than finite life? If anything it would make this life pretty damn worthless. I mean, 70-100 years as compared to infinity? Doesn't seem like this life would hold much, if any, value if you truly believe you're going to live forever after you die.

Anyway, as a budding scientist I take the view that it's always best to admit reality since denying it changes nothing. And In my opinion the reality is that it doesn't matter if you believe you're going to live forever or not, that still won't change the fact that you're going to die and stay dead like every other organism that has ever existed. It's not a choice or philosophy, it's the way that things are.

gameguy6700

If there is an eternal life after this than everything that you do here is going to have everlasting consequences so that makes everything you do here alot more purposeful than if you believe there is nothing afterwards. I have often been a bit confused as to why exactly would an atheist care about their legacy after death?

I do agree that truth matters most, I firmly believe in that but sometimes I wonder if it indeed should apply to every truth.

Obviously a very strong belief in afterlife can result in some very undesirable consequences(suicide bombing for example) but I also believe that a belief in afterlife and god prevents some people from acting evil. But I guess that gets a different debate altogether. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I have wondered about how I will live in my old age and how I will die. I want to stay true to my fundamental convictions which should be a reflection of reality. I will strive to be an atheist all the way up to death and I will not let emotion effect my decision when I'm on my deathbed. My only hope is that there won't be someone there to proselytize me so my death will be much more comfortable however unlikely that will be. Dr. House once said, "Our bodies break down, sometimes when we're 90, sometimes before we're even born, but it always happens and there's never any dignity in it! I don't care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass... it's always ugly, always! You can live with dignity; you can't die with it!"
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3
Dr. House once said, "Our bodies break down, sometimes when we're 90, sometimes before we're even born, but it always happens and there's never any dignity in it! I don't care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass... it's always ugly, always! You can live with dignity; you can't die with it!"Genetic_Code
This is a wonderful quote.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
I still have my basic emotional desires (which I can't possibly fight because you can't argue rationally against them), and if I only have 50 years to live I'll certainly try and fulfill them.