Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

What do all of you think about this area of science? As much as I disagree with the religious on mostly every issue out there, this is one where I'm in complete agreement with them. We should not venture into this territory, I believe it is dangerous, tremendously disrespectful, and is an affront to the sanctity of life and nature's process. I don't support any form of it, even to help the sick. I know that's a very harsh view, but as someone who suffers from a very serious chronic illness myself, my position has ironically shifted against possible treatments that may come about by it. Would I like to have my health back? Absolutely, I wish for nothing more in the world and wish the same for others. But something so powerful should not, under any circumstances, be toyed with, modified, and bent to our needs. That is tampering with God.

What do you all think? Are you fine with cloning? Why/why not? I suspect the majority of atheists here are of the opinion that it's fine for medical reasons, but none other. How about you agnostics? All feedback is appreciated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I dissagree with cloning, as I see it possibly getting rid of your individuality. I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing I'm not the only me out there any more, and I would feel less unique. On the other side also, I see no benefit in cloning, unless we're doing it to find test subjects and experiment on, which Is utterly inhumane.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Good one C.  I'm with you, this is a slippery slope I don't want to see us go down.  I'm mostly against it because if where I think it will lead, to an almost separate race of those cloned from the best and brightest of us, and those not.  Of course this is far in the future, but a distinct possibility.  Even the Mammoth, which they want to "clone" or "remake" is a problem with me.  The history buff in me would love to see them come back to life, but the evolutionist in me knows they are gone for a reason.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I dissagree with cloning, as I see it possibly getting rid of your individuality. I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing I'm not the only me out there any more, and I would feel less unique. On the other side also, I see no benefit in cloning, unless we're doing it to find test subjects and experiment on, which Is utterly inhumane. 123625

Did anybody watch that movie The Island?

I'm absolutely all for human cloning but there are some obvious ethical issues involved such as human rights etc. I've got to wonder though if people in the future would just clone themselves rather than have children. If that ever happened we could say goodbye to variation and hello to evolutionary stasis.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

What do all of you think about this area of science? As much as I disagree with the religious on mostly every issue out there, this is one where I'm in complete agreement with them. We should not venture into this territory, I believe it is dangerous, tremendously disrespectful, and is an affront to the sanctity of life and nature's process. I don't support any form of it, even to help the sick. I know that's a very harsh view, but as someone who suffers from a very serious chronic illness myself, my position has ironically shifted against possible treatments that may come about by it. Would I like to have my health back? Absolutely, I wish for nothing more in the world and wish the same for others. But something so powerful should not, under any circumstances, be toyed with, modified, and bent to our needs. That is tampering with God.

What do you all think? Are you fine with cloning? Why/why not? I suspect the majority of atheists here are of the opinion that it's fine for medical reasons, but none other. How about you agnostics? All feedback is appreciated.

Rekunta

I am against no holds barred cloning but it can still be an important field of study. It doesn't mean the scientists toy with this. Scientists are humans as well and I believe they very well realize what they are dealing with and I think most of them are aware of the moral complications in this field of study.

I am personally in full support of individual body parts cloning.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

I think it's an amazing Technology, I'd like to see hospitals put it to use in some sort of partial cloning and use that for Blood and Organ Transplants. The best organs for you are your own, so we might as well use them!

However, I believe that this technology would be devastating if it were to fall into the wrong hands. Which is why in the long run I'm against it.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
Nature works in the way it does for a reason. Try to manipulate it, and things will go very, very wrong.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

I think once we get into cloning whole people the issue gets into a gray area, but haven't they figured out ways to clone only parts of the body?  That I think is a noble persuit. 

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts
Yeah, cloning body parts should be fine, last time I checked, there's no civil rights issues with disembodied arms.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

For slavery - no

For harvesting organs from conscious creatures - no

For anything else - yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

For slavery - no

For anything else - yes

Sitri_

Heh, what other use for them would there be?

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
[QUOTE="Sitri_"]

For slavery - no

For anything else - yes

Heh, what other use for them would there be?

Harvesting organs not attatched to conscious creatures.

Reproduction.

Medical research.

Superior food source.

I am sure threre are more......

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts

Would you prefer the creatures to be unconscious during the harvesting? I'm sure there's some sleeping gas somewhere..

Avatar image for Sargatanas13576
Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sargatanas13576
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts

Cloning tissue for medical/scientific purposes = Great

Cloning full people = dangerous territory for so many reasons.