As an atheist, which religion do you admire?

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

As a Muslim I have high respect for Judaism. Many Jews are very hardworking and scincere, unlike most Muslims today. And Judaism is very similar to Islam. How about you guys?

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

As a Muslim I have high respect for Judaism. Many Jews are very hardworking and scincere, unlike most Muslims today. And Judaism is very similar to Islam. How about you guys?

ghoklebutter

The only religion i find passable is buddhism.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I very much admire Hinduism, as probably is quite obvious. What I admire about it most is probably the concept of Brahman and the aspect of Hindu belief that accepts all religions, beliefs, dogmas and ideas all as a "route" to the truth (some would claim it to be "God," but I think it would be better to refer it to as "truth," being the truth for every individual person and not some "universal" truth, or at least a universal truth that manifests in many ways for many people).

However, I only admire Hinduism for its philosophy, and approach to understanding life and the universe. I remain in the same position regarding ritual practices in Hinduism as I do other religions. I respect that people might believe that these rituals may carry some benefit for them, but I don't believe they carry benefit for me or really anyone else. It obviously, for me at least, seems to be a placebo effect in most cases... and there really isn't anything wrong with that.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ghoklebutter

I very much admire Hinduism, as probably is quite obvious. What I admire about it most is probably the concept of Brahman and the aspect of Hindu belief that accepts all religions, beliefs, dogmas and ideas all as a "route" to the truth (some would claim it to be "God," but I think it would be better to refer it to as "truth," being the truth for every individual person and not some "universal" truth, or at least a universal truth that manifests in many ways for many people).

However, I only admire Hinduism for its philosophy, and approach to understanding life and the universe. I remain in the same position regarding ritual practices in Hinduism as I do other religions. I respect that people might believe that these rituals may carry some benefit for them, but I don't believe they carry benefit for me or really anyone else. It obviously, for me at least, seems to be a placebo effect in most cases... and there really isn't anything wrong with that.
foxhound_fox

I think Hinduism is very interesting too. Even though I normally don't like polythiestic religions Hinduism has some very good teachings.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15986 Posts
I respect Satanism for its acknowledgment that humans are largely selfish creatures by nature, and that making yourself happy/proud is important. Its doctrine is very much in line with my values in life, but the reason I don't think I could ever get into it is because of the black mass ritual; which I find to be silly. I understand that it's optional, but it contradicts the notion that Satanism is rebellious. You can't borrow Pagan-esque practices and then claim that your religion is rebellious.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I dont know much about many religions so the only existing religion that I respect is Christianity because I was once a Christian.

As for non-existing "religions", I admire Tolkien's fictional world theory. I am not joking. If one reads the first chapters of the Silmarillion, the messages the cosmology of Tolkien can convey through its allegory are very beautiful and the motifs are very interesting. But thats just about its approach to certain issues. In Tolkien's works there is no real dogma or other basic elements of a religion so I dont know if one could count it as a religion. Anyway...

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
I don't know much about it but I've heard good things about the Baha'i faith. Other than that though I suppose Buddhism is a good religion.
woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts
Buddhism. The fact that it doesn't consider itself as a religion but a way of life is very admirable for me. Unlike Christianity which requires you to submit yourself to God or suffer eternal hell is simply outrageous.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts
I think Scientology has an interesting slant on the human condition. I can't find much to admire about religion, except the architecture.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
I don't really admire religions; I admire both the figures within them (if warranted) and anyone who is led to a path of love by following them.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I think Hinduism is very interesting too. Even though I normally don't like polythiestic religions Hinduism has some very good teachings.ghoklebutter

Heh, I used to think Hinduism was polytheistic too. But it isn't.

It is like a pyramid scheme. Everything decends from Brahman; Purusha, Atman, Prana, Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Ganesha, etc. Every single god and goddess and other function in the mythology is an incarnation of Brahman (aka the 'Godhead"). However (according to Advaita Vedanta), Brahman is not a conscious being (like the God of other monotheistic traditions), cannot be given any "attributes" (omnipotence, omniscience, etc.) and is the same "thing" as Atman (or the Self within all beings; other traditions hold opposing positions, but Advaita is the most common and well-supported position). Brahman is just "is." It is what was, it is what will be and is what everything in the universe is "made" of. It is really fascinating.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#12 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]I think Hinduism is very interesting too. Even though I normally don't like polythiestic religions Hinduism has some very good teachings.foxhound_fox

Heh, I used to think Hinduism was polytheistic too. But it isn't.

It is like a pyramid scheme. Everything decends from Brahman; Purusha, Atman, Prana, Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Ganesha, etc. Every single god and goddess and other function in the mythology is an incarnation of Brahman (aka the 'Godhead"). However (according to Advaita Vedanta), Brahman is not a conscious being (like the God of other monotheistic traditions), cannot be given any "attributes" (omnipotence, omniscience, etc.) and is the same "thing" as Atman (or the Self within all beings; other traditions hold opposing positions, but Advaita is the most common and well-supported position). Brahman is just "is." It is what was, it is what will be and is what everything in the universe is "made" of. It is really fascinating.

Ya there have been muslim arguments that ALL major religions are actually monothestic at the core. They try to prove with that that all religions are basically created by the same one God and arent man made.

Scientology, FSM and the bahai faith has put that argument to shame though. The bahai faith is obviously strictly monotheistic but it is man made from an islamic point of view.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ghoklebutter

Ya there have been muslim arguments that ALL major religions are actually monothestic at the core. They try to prove with that that all religions are basically created by the same one God and arent man made.

Scientology, FSM and the bahai faith has put that argument to shame though. The bahai faith is obviously strictly monotheistic but it is man made from an islamic point of view.

Gambler_3

Sounds like a silly argument. :P

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gambler_3

I dont admire any religion. The scientific claims of religion have never been proven(yes claiming the existence of the supernatural IS a scientific claim).

I am not sure how much morality humanity acquired through religion and how much "good" is done because of religion and how much wouldnt be done without it. So basically I am not sure if an atheistic world would be morally superior to today's world or not.

However what we do know is how much harm has been done exclusively in the name of religion, if there was only one religion in the world then I think religion would be a good thing but as it is I really doubt that the world is better off with religion especially the educated countries arent.

The europeans have forgiven the germans and italians for WW2 but seems like religious bitterness never goes away.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

ghoklebutter

Sounds like a silly argument. :P

Well it's not. The problem is that there is no evidence to prove that all religions had a similar origin, if it could be proven than that would be a pretty big breakthrough I would think. But it'll never be proven cuz there is no historical evidence for the origin of most religions.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghoklebutter
Basically this topic is about what do you like about which religion.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RationalAtheist

Basically this topic is about what do you like about which religion.ghoklebutter

This:

e-meter

A religosity detector! 

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Basically this topic is about what do you like about which religion.RationalAtheist

This:

e-meter

A religosity detector! 

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

At least it's at 0. :P

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RationalAtheist

probes

It comes with probes - I think you insert them somewhere.

I've always wanted to get one and convert it into a clock-radio! 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I don't really know much about eastern religion, but I'm torn between Theravada Buddhism and Hinduisim. I think Hinduism makes more sense, because mysticism is more satisfying if there is a God attached to it.
Maxstar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maxstar1
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

ghoklebutter

Ghokle, you as a Muslim may have respect for Jews but Islam and Muhammad themselves? The less said the better. Here are a few examples:

And ye know of those of you who broke the Sabbath, how We said unto them: Be ye apes, despised and hated! Qur'an 2:65

Narrated 'Aisha and 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas: When the last moment of the life of Allah's Apostle came he started putting his 'Khamisa' on his face and when he felt hot and short of breath he took it off his face and said, "May Allah curse the Jews and Christians for they built the places of worship at the graves of their Prophets." The Prophet was warning (Muslims) of what those had done.
Sahih Bukhari 1:8:427

The Final Hour will not come until Muslims slaughter Jews, and even the rocks and trees will betray the Jews hiding behind them.
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews.
Sahih Muslim 41:6985, see also Sahih Muslim 41:6981, Sahih Muslim 41:6982, Sahih Muslim 41:6983, Sahih Muslim 41:6984, Sahih Bukhari 4:56:791

Muslims should not greet Jews before the Jews greet them, and Muslims should force Jews to go to the narrowest part of the road.
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Do not greet the Jews and the Christians before they greet you and when you meet any one of them on the roads force him to go to the narrowest part of it.
Sahih Muslim 26:5389

900 defenseless Jews of the Banu Qurayza tribe were beheaded on the orders of Muhammad and their women and childrenwere enslaved.

Learn more at:

http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/The_Genocide_of_Banu_Qurayza

chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts

i admire buddhism and the philosophy of hinduism

just to give you some background info, in many sects of hindu religion, it is well known that religion is figurative.

when i reached high school level of my hindu religion class, it was revealed to us that gods are metaphors, used as stepping stools for understanding the self.

it was revealed to us that the masses will use gods to dictate their morality simply because they are easy to use. however higher thinkers can realize these gods only should serve as metaphors for what they represent.

which makes some sense, but still i see no point whatsoever to all the meaningless rituals.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I respect Satanism for its acknowledgment that humans are largely selfish creatures by nature, and that making yourself happy/proud is important. Its doctrine is very much in line with my values in life, but the reason I don't think I could ever get into it is because of the black mass ritual; which I find to be silly. I understand that it's optional, but it contradicts the notion that Satanism is rebellious. You can't borrow Pagan-esque practices and then claim that your religion is rebellious. dracula_16

+1 for brutal honesty. Awesome. Sounds legit to me too.

I agree with Foxhound as well.